Ryan Bradley on the Olympic Channel | Page 2 | Golden Skate

Ryan Bradley on the Olympic Channel

GF2445

Record Breaker
Im of the opinion that for commericial tv, there has to be some commentary from the commentators, but not too much. I think total silence would be unhelpful for many. If it were like a live stream e.g. JGP, all for silence. But for commercial tv, not so much.

I think that some effective commentary during a performance can enhance the viewership experience.

GF2445

Record Breaker
I'd rather Ryan Bradley and his repetitiveness and his occasional get-stuff-wrongness (BRENDAN WAS BORN IN SYDNEY YOU GONNA REMEMBER THIS YEAR?!) than Weir's pathetic, catty, petty...witchiness.

the whole "He is single handedly holding the Australian Figure Skating Program together" comment was gah!

Spirals for Miles

Anna Shcherbakova is my World Champion
Record Breaker
Wouldn't it be wonderful if Ted was the commentator for every event?? Heck, I already miss Papa Ted's commentary...

slider11

Medalist
I LIKE Ryan's commentary! I find him fresh but not catty and informative. I like the Bradly, Coughlin and White team!

danse

On the Ice
Anyone who doesn't want Ryan Bradley, I have a feeling that ANY Canadian would be MORE than willing to donate Rod Black to you! :laugh2:

noskates

Record Breaker
I really enjoy listening to Johnny - he's added more technical explanation than all the others combined and I think some of his comments are quite funny. Just wish Tara would put a sock in it. But I'll say it again - ANYBODY is better then Peter Carruthers. I did appreciate Charlie White calling the Ice Dance this weekend because he didn't talk too much. I always think it's challenging for a singles skater to make comments about pairs - or vice versa. My all-time favorite commentator though has to be Kurt Browning. He was articulate, definitely knew what he was talking about, made it interesting to the listener/viewer and there wasn't anything fake about him.

Ares

Record Breaker
Country
Poland
“The JGP Guy”, Ted Barton, is *the* gold standard for skating commentary. Silent during the program, respectful yet technically astute during the replay.

I could listen to Ted do commentary for every single skating comp ever. He would die of exhaustion, but I’d be happy:biggrin:

Ok he's respectful, is knowledgeable, and has nice things to say about every skater but he's so boring. It's like watching pre-recorded recap with imposed commentary even though it is live. How can it be ideal?!:slink: It's good that he does not overtalk but ... I prefer when commentators express more of their own subjective commentary /remarks and when there's more emotion in them, he's so dry and butchers skaters surnames often (that's my little pet peeve). One need to take into consideration though that those events that he commentates are "just" junior ones and there are many skaters one after another representing lower level on average. I also like when there are two commentators working together, it's usually dreary when there's only one and that concerns many sports.

el henry

Go have some cake. And come back with jollity.
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Ok he's respectful, is knowledgeable, and has nice things to say about every skater but he's so boring. It's like watching pre-recorded recap with imposed commentary even though it is live. How can it be ideal?!:slink: It's good that he does not overtalk but ... I prefer when commentators express more of their own subjective commentary /remarks and when there's more emotion in them, he's so dry and butchers skaters surnames often (that's my little pet peeve). One need to take into consideration though that those events that he commentates are "just" junior ones and there are many skaters one after another representing lower level on average. I also like when there are two commentators working together, it's usually dreary when there's only one and that concerns many sports.

I agree with you that two commentators are better than one. But I am afraid we must agree to disagree about "boring".:)

Exciting commentary can indeed be infectious (Scott Hamilton on Jason Brown's Riverdance, for example), but so many times I just find it horribly distracting. For example, TAT, her screechy voice sounds like nails on a blackboard, and I don't care what the heck she is saying, just take a breath, lady, and zip it!

I also don't care about pronouncing skater's names, although I realize and acknowledge many people do care. The worst, and I mean absolute worst, I have ever heard is whoever was announcing Worlds 2017 Pairs for French TV. They butchered the Kneirims' names in such a way that it made the B ESP guys sound like world class linguists. It just makes no difference to me:drama:

De gustibus non est dispuntandum:biggrin:

Chemistry66

Mmmmm, tacos.
Record Breaker
“The JGP Guy”, Ted Barton, is *the* gold standard for skating commentary. Silent during the program, respectful yet technically astute during the replay.

I could listen to Ted do commentary for every single skating comp ever. He would die of exhaustion, but I’d be happy:biggrin:

TED FOREVER. I wish we could clone him. He's such a proud dad when he does JGP commentating. It'd be interesting to see if he could tone that down for the Seniors.

But really, I don't mind Ryan.

I also like Charlie White and Tanith Belbin-White and John Coughlin.

Not Johnny and Tara.

(During a zamboni break during last year's US Championships, I actually went and cleaned my toilet rather than listen to Tara talk)

bixby

Final Flight
Fights to hang on......

Fights to hang on......

Fights to hang on......

Fights to hang on......

Dang Ryan, change it up a little bit next time.

- fought for that one and hanged on

- that was a fight... good save to hang on

- really fight to hang on

- hang in there and fight

- hang time! amazing fight

Something like that would not be too repetitive? :love:

4everchan

Record Breaker
Country
Martinique
I love Ted but there is no way he would work for TV in the style he does...

it's a very different crowd to cater for and a completely different need..

TED does HOURS of live streaming with no breaks (he must love the zamboni)...

he obviously cannot comment non-stop during the performance... and he gives very politically correct info about the skaters, which is great at that age...

though, his voice is pretty monotonous and his commentary is bland as he knows that the fans who are watching are mostly interested in rotation and levels... (and that's what he gives us)....

On tv networks, broadcasts are shorter and there is a need for much more colour commentary and bigger personality... there is also a need to comment on what is happening as it is happening (not during the video replays)

so tell me, all of those who are tired of "hang ons" are there that many ways to comment on jumps? because if there are, I don't really see it in the competition threads...

most people just say it the same way.... "tight landing, hung on, and under-rotated...." are probably the words we see the most on the competition threads :)

that and any costume/warhorse related comments ;)

I haven't watched Ryan comment... but I think it's a question of personal taste as it's not like their job is to reinvent the wheel....

I remember a while back how much fun we had when the commentators were on strike for hockey... we had live broadcast with no commentary... it was so nice to hear "the sport" (blades,puck etc) instead of... "so and so by the band... passes to so and so... tries to find an angle... shoots... what a save!!! "

LiamForeman

William/Uilyam
Medalist
My all-time favorite commentator though has to be Kurt Browning. He was articulate, definitely knew what he was talking about, made it interesting to the listener/viewer and there wasn't anything fake about him.

EEK! But my first impression of his commentary was when he called an 80 pound, pre-pubertal Michelle Kwan "sexy"...... Just, no.

gmyers

Record Breaker
Bradley is so terrible. It’s like all the viewers are children and he’s the teacher! It’s just the worst it is so condescending. The tone and inflections its just the worst ever.

Bcash

Final Flight
Fights to hang on......

Fights to hang on......

Fights to hang on......

Fights to hang on......

Hahahaha
"..To the outside, but fights to hang on.."
I liked Charlie White as I think he's less formulaic. And I also like Weir as I think he makes many honest and insightful observations. Cannot stand Lipinski and her major vocal fry though.

Bcash

Final Flight
ALL. THE. TIME. :dbana:

Even British Eurosport has become so stale.

While I agree with @NanaPat in that I like it best when they rotate commentators around because they can get quite predictable, my favorite English duo is Terry Gannon and Tracy Wilson. I'd listen to them all day.

I think the guy with the funny accent on B.ESP is quite a breath of fresh air. Substantial observations. Do not like the other "gold guard" though, he's always let his uneducated bias shown, in multiple disciplines.

Ares

Record Breaker
Country
Poland
I agree with you that two commentators are better than one. But I am afraid we must agree to disagree about "boring".:)

Exciting commentary can indeed be infectious (Scott Hamilton on Jason Brown's Riverdance, for example), but so many times I just find it horribly distracting. For example, TAT, her screechy voice sounds like nails on a blackboard, and I don't care what the heck she is saying, just take a breath, lady, and zip it!

I also don't care about pronouncing skater's names, although I realize and acknowledge many people do care. The worst, and I mean absolute worst, I have ever heard is whoever was announcing Worlds 2017 Pairs for French TV. They butchered the Kneirims' names in such a way that it made the B ESP guys sound like world class linguists. It just makes no difference to me:drama:

De gustibus non est dispuntandum:biggrin:

Well Tarasova can indeed get disturbing to listen to, her screechy voice is overbearing sometimes and she talks too much sometimes as well. In smaller doses she's quite amusing though.

And don't get me wrong ... Ted does a good job for JGP and for skating in general.