Ryan Bradley on the Olympic Channel | Page 3 | Golden Skate

Ryan Bradley on the Olympic Channel

Ares

Record Breaker
Country
Poland
I think the guy with the funny accent on B.ESP is quite a breath of fresh air. Substantial observations. Do not like the other "gold guard" though, he's always let his uneducated bias shown, in multiple disciplines.

This guy with the funny accent is Mark Hanretty. For me his accent alone adds some interesting undercurrent to the Eurosport broadcast. He's Scottish. :) People seem to dislike him ... I think for some bias, but I don't see much of it myself. And yes, his remarks are substantial.

Our Eurosport commentators are pretty good bar Marek Szewczyk who's such an ignoramus. He made remarks about Nathan Chen and his first ever ... 5 quads ... SHORT PROGRAM :drama: :laugh:

TanithandBenFan

On the Ice
Ryan is such a nice guy that I feel bad for criticizing his work, but he is not the right fit for TV commentary. His voice and manner of speaking to us like we're children are really, really, really bad. And commenting on EVERY SINGLE JUMP is unnecessary, repetitive, and highly annoying. It looks like we're going to have him for the whole GP series, though, so if anyone has suggestions on how to compose a nice, constructive tweet to him with suggestions for improvement, please share. I don't know how else to get word to him that he doesn't need to identify every jump and describe the landing of said jump (the same way over and over and over and over). Someone needs to give him some pointers ASAP.

I think Andrea Joyce is there only because Tanith is about to have a baby. I miss Tanith. :sad21: At least we get Ben doing dance commentary this weekend. He's the best other than Tanith IMO.

Tutto

Record Breaker
This guy with the funny accent is Mark Hanretty. For me his accent alone adds some interesting undercurrent to the Eurosport broadcast. He's Scottish. :) People seem to dislike him ... I think for some bias, but I don't see much of it myself. And yes, his remarks are substantial.

I like Mark's commentary very much (and he is easy to understand, we had some Scottish clients a while back I was really struggling with their accent), even when he offers his criticism he does in such a warm & friendly manner and he is really knowledgeable & enthusiastic

WeakAnkles

Record Breaker
“The JGP Guy”, Ted Barton, is *the* gold standard for skating commentary. Silent during the program, respectful yet technically astute during the replay.

I could listen to Ted do commentary for every single skating comp ever. He would die of exhaustion, but I’d be happy:biggrin:

Ted is wonderful. I was also super impressed with Robin Cousins, who simply identified each element, but saved any analysis for after the particular performance.

Johnny W has some interesting things to say. Tara is interesting as a case study in narcissism. I've never heard a commentator inject him/herself into an analysis to quite the same extent at Tara.

Ic3Rabbit

Former Elite, now Pro. ⛸️
Record Breaker
Country
Olympics
Ryan is such a nice guy that I feel bad for criticizing his work, but he is not the right fit for TV commentary. His voice and manner of speaking to us like we're children are really, really, really bad. And commenting on EVERY SINGLE JUMP is unnecessary, repetitive, and highly annoying. It looks like we're going to have him for the whole GP series, though, so if anyone has suggestions on how to compose a nice, constructive tweet to him with suggestions for improvement, please share. I don't know how else to get word to him that he doesn't need to identify every jump and describe the landing of said jump (the same way over and over and over and over). Someone needs to give him some pointers ASAP.

I think Andrea Joyce is there only because Tanith is about to have a baby. I miss Tanith. :sad21: At least we get Ben doing dance commentary this weekend. He's the best other than Tanith IMO.

Compose a tweet to him regarding this? Are you out of your mind?!?! How rude and out of line for a fan to do so. :palmf:
No one here is ever happy with a commentator and that is sad.
Don't like it? Don't watch. Simple as that.
You all should just be happy skating is finally on television for extended periods of time instead of ripping apart commentators.

noskates

Record Breaker
Well - considered us all slapped! We criticize everything else in the skating world why are the commentators given a pass? Seriously, Ryan IS a nice guy but to say if you don't like his comments to just not watch is kind of silly. Of course we're going to watch skating. Isn't that why we're all here pretty much? I couldn't stand Dick Button's negativity and old school approach and I actually did send an email to ABC during the Olympics. First amendment and all....................

TanithandBenFan

On the Ice
Compose a tweet to him regarding this? Are you out of your mind?!?! How rude and out of line for a fan to do so. :palmf:
No one here is ever happy with a commentator and that is sad.
Don't like it? Don't watch. Simple as that.
You all should just be happy skating is finally on television for extended periods of time instead of ripping apart commentators.

It's not out of line for people to offer constructive feedback. I did not suggest sending rude or mean comments to anyone. The commentators should want to improve at their jobs and make the broadcasts better for their viewing audience - the few skating fans left in this world who care enough to watch and be passionate about the sport.

I'm happy with quite a few commentators. I have no issues with Tanith, Andrea, Ben, John Coughlin, Terry, or Johnny. Give me any of those any day.

noskates

Record Breaker
TanithandBenFan - I totally agree with your post. Most of these commentators are or have been skaters - not professional commentators or journalists. They weren't trained to observe and communicate and seem to be learning while they go. If they don't get feedback they're never going to improve. It is kind of rewarding to know that there is a career in broadcasting after competition for some of these folks.

ray94611

Rinkside
Well - considered us all slapped! We criticize everything else in the skating world why are the commentators given a pass? Seriously, Ryan IS a nice guy but to say if you don't like his comments to just not watch is kind of silly. Of course we're going to watch skating. Isn't that why we're all here pretty much? I couldn't stand Dick Button's negativity and old school approach and I actually did send an email to ABC during the Olympics. First amendment and all....................

Thanks. You know I posted my comments without really thinking. I was just wondering if anyone else agreed with me. I wish I had been more thoughtful. There are some very constructive comments here - for all the commentators. Obviously, lots of people have lots of opinions. But I have to say that saying you'd rather listen to him than Johnnie or Tara or anybody else isn't really what I was asking. Wouldn't it be great if he actually saw the criticisms and improved his commentary? And my apologies about Andrea Joyce. I realize she's no expert, but she at least had a few interesting comments.

Carolla5501

On the Ice
Ryan is better than Johnny as a commentator..... but he does repeat over and over meaningless comments. I think he means to say nice things about all the skaters, but sometimes there's just nothing exciting about them to say.

Amen. As long as I can skip the "look at me" show that Johnny and Tara present I'll take Ryan any day.

ancientpeas

The Notorious SEW
Record Breaker
:laugh:

Sorry.. I just wonder what all you Americans would think of Rod Black and his excitement over..everything. Rod reminds me if an overexcited puppy sometimes. I hope they make him sit on paper.

I actually think the guy that does the Junior Grand Prix Ted (I'm blanking on his last name) was really, really good especially for juniors since he was very encouraging and positive without glossing over the problems. I also think Charlie White was really good and also Ben A.

WeakAnkles

Record Breaker

Sorry.. I just wonder what all you Americans would think of Rod Black and his excitement over..everything. Rod reminds me if an overexcited puppy sometimes. I hope they make him sit on paper.

I actually think the guy that does the Junior Grand Prix Ted (I'm blanking on his last name) was really, really good especially for juniors since he was very encouraging and positive without glossing over the problems. I also think Charlie White was really good and also Ben A.

Sitting on paper!

:rofl:

I hope it's Charmin, because 1000 sheets really do last longer! ;)

gravy

¿No ven quién soy yo?
Record Breaker
Hahahaha
"..To the outside, but fights to hang on.."
I liked Charlie White as I think he's less formulaic. And I also like Weir as I think he makes many honest and insightful observations. Cannot stand Lipinski and her major vocal fry though.

https://youtu.be/SVn6qF_SyuQ?t=73

:dbana: :dbana:

I'm not American (though I live here), but I think you can just replace Canadian's thoughts about Rod Black with American's thoughts about Scott Hamilton. They're basically the same person. :laugh:

"Triple LuuUUUUUUUTZZZZ!!!!!!! ERGHH!!!!!!!!"

Chemistry66

Mmmmm, tacos.
Record Breaker
One thing I just thought of: A reason I like Tanith as a commentator is because while she was doing gymnastics commentary for a World Cup event this year, she was making such an effort to learn and correctly pronounce names. That's a big thing with so many international athletes and definitely appreciated.

Ted Barton!

gravy

¿No ven quién soy yo?
Record Breaker
One thing I just thought of: A reason I like Tanith as a commentator is because while she was doing gymnastics commentary for a World Cup event this year, she was making such an effort to learn and correctly pronounce names. That's a big thing with so many international athletes and definitely appreciated.

A friend of mine who worked with the NBC gymnastics live stream crew last year in Rio said that Tanith would often pull her aside so she could rehearse the names prior to taping so she would be sure to say them right. That's such a Tanith thing to do and it's very much well appreciated.

Tolstoj

Record Breaker
Yes Ted Barton is the best or one of the best.

And the old crew from British Eurosport they are great, outside Mark Hanretty, he throws some bold statements here and there and he's biased towards the americans more than Ryan and other american commentators which is funny.

Even TAT as much as she is clearly rooting for her pupils, she wants to be nice with everyone, i don't understand everything she says of course, but because of her knowledge i think some of her comments might still be useful for some skater.

Honestly i've no problems with Ryan but if i have to choose between him and Johnny and Tara, these two are better obviously.

Chemistry66

Mmmmm, tacos.
Record Breaker
A friend of mine who worked with the NBC gymnastics live stream crew last year in Rio said that Tanith would often pull her aside so she could rehearse the names prior to taping so she would be sure to say them right. That's such a Tanith thing to do and it's very much well appreciated.

I probably know exactly who you're talking about lol.

WeakAnkles

Record Breaker

That's the mark of a committed professional and doesn't surprise me in the least.