Ryan Bradley on the Olympic Channel | Page 6 | Golden Skate

Ryan Bradley on the Olympic Channel

RobinA

On the Ice
Not a huge Ryan fan at all. Something about the intonation bugs me BIG TIME. He's also too quad focused. I do notice that for Worlds he eased up on "conversation." Before, his use of that word could have been a drinking game.

I'm not overly crazy about any of the current commentating. I used to like Johnny before someone told him to get rid of all content and focus on trading witticisms with Tara. He seems to know a lot about skating, but this year he seems to be content to be a hairdo.

evasorange

Final Flight
Honestly I thought he did ok this worlds! One thing I appreciated was he was quiet during most of the program I could actually hear softer parts of programs. Then when it was over during the recap he would give more insight. Tara and Johnny are the absolute worst commentary I’ve heard so anyone is an improvement over them.

TCAngel18

Medalist
David is one of my favorites. When it comes to Ryan, I'm biased because I saw him live and I just love him. Just like David, He's also good lookin'......

I totally agree, but didn’t want to be the first one to say it 😂.

See, I Love Ryan as a commentator. I do feel he augments his speech patterns just a bit in order to sound more engaging, because nothing is worse than monotonous drivel, and he recognizes this.

There also has to be a balance with how technical you can get; if you are overly simple, you will alienate your veteran fans, but if you get too focused on the details, you won’t capture any new FS fans. I think he plays this balancing act very nicely. Listing and highlighting the point-getting elements may seem a waste of time to those who already know them, but not to the ones watching and learning on the fly; they probably appreciate his approach.

There are always phrases that repeat commentators will use, for comfort. Dick Button and Peggy Fleming had them as well, it’s not anything new. Trust me, Gymnastics also has them. Lord knows I can list all the ones Tim Daggett has used over the years.

Most people will freeze up on camera like a cold fish, so I find it funny that we have people armchair criticizing without having done so themselves.

I happen to find Ryan a fine commentator, and his charming personality and wit make me hope to see him commentating again in the future.

MIM

Medalist
I had to pause while watching the worlds to find someplace to vent about Ryan Bradley’s commentating. I cannot get over how ungodly monotonous and grating his commentary is. (And constant. He never stops!) He literally just recaps EVERY SINGLE Jump and NOTHING ELSE. No background on the skater, no discussion of music, choreography, spins just jumps and how they were completed. Like we can’t see with our own eyes that so and so put their hand down on that landing etc. I don’t get it. How on earth did he get this job? Is there no one else in the figure skating world that is capable of commenting? I’m almost as perplexed as I was over having to suffer through Sandra Bezic’s commentary for so many years.

On a lighter note, I really enjoyed Tara, Johnny and Terry for the Olympics. What a breath of fresh air! They have great chemistry and obviously know what they’re talking about. It’s amazing how much the quality of commentating adds to the enjoyment of watching this sport. A good commentator helps us get to know the skaters so we can get invested in what’s happening year to year. It’s about so much more than just jumps!! I really enjoyed the Olympic skating broadcasts this year and I already am more interested in skating than I have been for years. They have added some much needed pizzazz to televised figure skating that’s been a long time overdue.
's
Tanith is pretty good, if a bit bland. She’s pleasant to listen to at least. I prefer a less wooden personality but she gets the job done and doesn’t seem as biased as Tracy Wilson was.

I still miss Dick Button though. There won’t ever be another one like him! <3

I agree with Ryan.

I am glad you are now more interested in Skating, but Tara and Johnny are the last ones I would listen to. Tara was so much of herself, with no sense of empathy. I had to avoid them and airplayed the NBC sports app to my TV for the entire olympic skating events. I quite enjoyed the quiet voice of Austrian woman commentator.

Tanith was my absolute favorite. I prefer her to any commentators now and then. ;) She is insightful, knowledgeable, passionate.

Dick Button't live twitter comments were really cool, too! Peggy had to be there to help him if he went too far. :biggrin:

My top picks are Tanith, Kurt Browning, and Mark and his duo from B.Euro.
I really liked the woman commentator for the ladies' event of B. euro. She was concise, astute!

noskates

Record Breaker
I find Ryan to be a fair and balanced commentator and one of NBC's better choices. Ability to skate well in competition has nothing to do with ability to be a good commentator. Case in point: Tara Lipinski. She may be a World and Olympic champion, but she's the most moronic commentator out there.

Amen!!! And quite frankly, the commentator with the best description of why or how something happens or doesn't happen is Johnny Weir. I would like him so much better if he ditched Tara. Ryan is fair and balanced and I don't find him particularly negative. I do find him lacking inspiration in his comments and going back to the same old sayings over and over. A little tired of hearing "in the conversation!" And his monotone voice is very annoying but I do think he means well and he was really disappointed for Shoma and the others who were having such a bad skate. As far as being a mediocre skater, I disagree. He did win US Nationals and he's also one of those skaters who is probably better suited to show skating. He has a great personality - again something Tara can only wish for.

chuckm

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
NO WAY. I finally had to turn the TV off and stuck with the silence of IceNetwork because Ryan was so annoying. He was unrelentingly critical of even the best skates. "Bad landing there" he said, but the screen showed +GOE for the move.

His attitude seemed to be if you were skating at Worlds, you had better skate perfectly or you didn't deserve to be there. Considering how below-par his own Worlds performances were, you have to wonder where the nitpicking came from.

noskates

Record Breaker
He's being paid to be a commentator. How he skated has no bearing on the knowledge that he has. And I kind of don't disagree with him. If you've made it to the World Championships there are certain expectations for your performance and, sadly, many of the skaters did not live up to those expectations. I really wish they would not have Worlds the same year as an Olympic year. The performances are generally, not always, sub-par, the skaters are tired from the long season and the build-up to the Olys, and it's just not good. Please note I said "NOT ALWAYS" because there were some outstanding skates - Papadakis and Cizeron for one.

evasorange

Final Flight
NO WAY. I finally had to turn the TV off and stuck with the silence of IceNetwork because Ryan was so annoying. He was unrelentingly critical of even the best skates. "Bad landing there" he said, but the screen showed +GOE for the move.

His attitude seemed to be if you were skating at Worlds, you had better skate perfectly or you didn't deserve to be there. Considering how below-par his own Worlds performances were, you have to wonder where the nitpicking came from.

yeah but let's just be real- some skaters do have bad landings but still somehow get positive goe for it. I didn't find Ryan any more unrelentingly critical then Tara:scratch2:

Ic3Rabbit

Former Elite, now Pro. ⛸️
Record Breaker
Country
Olympics
Ryan will be a featured performer in Boston at their annual Ice Chips show. Maybe some can provide him with feedback directly :agree:

How about people not be rude jerks and leave the guy alone.

Sam-Skwantch

“I solemnly swear I’m up to no good”
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
How about people not be rude jerks and leave the guy alone.

I’m so tired of people moaning about and taking cheap shots at the announcers. The complaints are becoming way more annoying than any announcing could ever achieve.

RobinA

On the Ice
Amen!!! And quite frankly, the commentator with the best description of why or how something happens or doesn't happen is Johnny Weir. I would like him so much better if he ditched Tara.

Agree completely. I find Johnny to be the most knowledgeable commentator out there, knows skating, music, choreo. etc. Ryan can annoy me, but I'm willing to let him learn. He's new at this. He doesn't seem to have Johnny's knowledge. Somebody earlier on another thread said they found Tanith boring. I have actually learned from her and definitely think she brings something to the game.

Ic3Rabbit

Former Elite, now Pro. ⛸️
Record Breaker
Country
Olympics
Agree completely. I find Johnny to be the most knowledgeable commentator out there, knows skating, music, choreo. etc. Ryan can annoy me, but I'm willing to let him learn. He's new at this. He doesn't seem to have Johnny's knowledge. Somebody earlier on another thread said they found Tanith boring. I have actually learned from her and definitely think she brings something to the game.

Ryan coaches and knows far more than Johnny, he also is level-headed and doesn't act like a 14 year old mean girl when commentating, sorry to have to break that news.

Ross74

Medalist
I'm ok with Ryan when I watch comps on TV. He's not great, but ok. These days I mostly prefer watching on IN with no commentary. NBC with all its extras just annoys me in general and I don't like watching "live" events that run behind the live feeds. I'll often make an exception for dance if Ben or Tanith are commentating because they're easy to listen to and I have a lot to learn in that area. I think Johnny might be capable of being a decent commentator if he'd allow himself to try. That means losing Tara, his biases, and the shtick.

jenaj

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
I don't think Ryan is overly negative. Sometimes, I don't understand his comments, like "to the outside." I think he's OK for a cable channel. Tara and Johnny are more annoying, IMO. I don't have to say, Shut up Ryan, like I have to say, Shut up, Tara, multiple times. I agree about John Coughlin. He's very good. Also, Tanith Belbin on dance.

moonvine

All Hail Queen Gracie
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
And the guy with him is way too prone to hyperbole as Ryan is way too prone to derision of the efforts of all the skaters. It's funny, I liked Ryan's skating but his commentary is grating. John Coughlin was enjoyable. Andrea Joyce asked him about doing a dangerous pair move and John's answer was epic, "There's not enough Scotch in the world to get me to do that." Funny enough, he didn't do much commentating after that. ;)

John Couglin is awesome. Apparently he stepped away from commentary because of some other job he got, which I understand is temporary, so hopefully he will return.

moonvine

All Hail Queen Gracie
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
He's being paid to be a commentator. How he skated has no bearing on the knowledge that he has. And I kind of don't disagree with him. If you've made it to the World Championships there are certain expectations for your performance and, sadly, many of the skaters did not live up to those expectations. I really wish they would not have Worlds the same year as an Olympic year. The performances are generally, not always, sub-par, the skaters are tired from the long season and the build-up to the Olys, and it's just not good. Please note I said "NOT ALWAYS" because there were some outstanding skates - Papadakis and Cizeron for one.

The thing that bothers me about him the most is his overuse of "in the conversation." If I never hear that phrase again it will be way too soon.

noskates

Record Breaker
Well, I wouldn't say Ryan knows more than Johnny just because he coaches. They each have their own style and each of us has a preference. Ryan DOES overuse phrases that are annoying. Johnny is saddled with Tara.

Gee, does someone have a crush on Ryan? :drama:

chuckm

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
I found Ryan SO irritating with his constant talking that I finally had to turn off the TV and stick with no-commentary IceNetwork.

He hardly had anything positive to say, but was quick to point out the slightest misstep. And sometimes he was just plain wrong---saying "bad landing there" when the on-screen evaluation for the move gave it a +GOE.
His attitude seemed to be was that if you were skating at Worlds, you'd better be perfect or you didn't deserve to be there. I guess he didn't recall his own performances at Worlds: 13th in 2011, 18th in 2010, 15th in 2007. Calling him a 'mediocre skater' would be extremely kind.