On the Ice
"Outside the circle"

"Staying in the conversation"

"You have to think..."

"To the outside"

Rinse and repeat

ozmodiar

On the Ice
This sing-songy thing is what they teach people new to broadcasting so they don't sound like a monotone robot. Ryan just does it a bit too much so it comes off as unnatural.

RyJoseph

Spectator
Ryan Bradley

He is the absolute most annoying commentator, talks way too much and is so critical and was a mediocre skater at best.

Manuel Pablo Arnao

Figure Skating Fan & Real Estate Agent in LA!
On the Ice
Absolutely!!! He gives you sooooo information post someoen’s skate, but what’s worse, is that he ALWAYS says something negative about what look to be perfect jumps. He’ll call something that was good a struggle, shake, tight, free leg this, free leg even though the GOE was positive! 🙄

He always stumbles the jumps and calls them other ones by mistake all the time.

MACGoldSeal

Rinkside
And the guy with him is way too prone to hyperbole as Ryan is way too prone to derision of the efforts of all the skaters. It's funny, I liked Ryan's skating but his commentary is grating. John Coughlin was enjoyable. Andrea Joyce asked him about doing a dangerous pair move and John's answer was epic, "There's not enough Scotch in the world to get me to do that." Funny enough, he didn't do much commentating after that. ;)

reneerose

Final Flight
He is the absolute most annoying commentator, talks way too much and is so critical and was a mediocre skater at best.
I hate to say I wish he would just talk normally in his conversational voice, when he is commentating his voice devolves into a robotic register....that annoys me more than anything else.

Ic3Rabbit

Former Elite, now Pro. ⛸️
Record Breaker
Country
Olympics
Sorry to break it to you but he’s truthful, and hardly says bad things or hypercritical things about skaters.

You want to see negative and rude: Go watch Tara and Johnny on NBC.

NCSkater

Spectator
TRIIIIIIPLE Flip ...TRIIIIPLE toe..........there's so much more to skating than just jumps....but that seems to be the only focus...

auser

Record Breaker
TRIIIIIIPLE Flip ...TRIIIIPLE toe..........there's so much more to skating than just jumps....but that seems to be the only focus...
Welcome to Goldenskate NCSkater. Post long and post often. Great first post :).

slider11

Medalist
I like Ryan Bradley's commentary. I find him informative and interesting. Besides the jumps he comments on spins, expression, speed. I hope he sticks around.

sworddance21

On the Ice
I'm with the camp who much prefers Ryan Bradley to Tara and Johnny. (Although, NCSkater beat me to the Triiiiiiiiple Flip punch - that does make me laugh). Tara and Johnny seem way more mean to me than Ryan.

skylark

Gazing at a Glorious Great Lakes sunset
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
And the guy with him is way too prone to hyperbole as Ryan is way too prone to derision of the efforts of all the skaters. It's funny, I liked Ryan's skating but his commentary is grating. John Coughlin was enjoyable. Andrea Joyce asked him about doing a dangerous pair move and John's answer was epic, "There's not enough Scotch in the world to get me to do that." Funny enough, he didn't do much commentating after that. ;)

:rofl: I didn't hear that one! :thumbsup:

John Coughlin accepted some sort of liason position with ISU, and felt continuing would be a conflict. I miss his commentary dearly. He was always positive, always empathetic, put the best possible spin on the skaters. If something went very wrong, he'd say something like "it's easy for that to happen, if" such and such, etc. A class act.

Arriba627

TWO-TIME WORLD CHAMPION 🔥
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
When the pairs made an error, he always explained HOW the error was made or why it was an easy error to make. I learned a lot listening to him. Marissa and Mervin had a mishap one time, and he explained how it's a move that he had to sort of go into "blind" and if your timing wasn't exactly right the element didn't work. I hope his liaison job doesn't last too long. I miss him!

Tonichelle

Idita-Rock-n-Roll
Record Breaker
I find Ryan to be a fair and balanced commentator and one of NBC's better choices. Ability to skate well in competition has nothing to do with ability to be a good commentator. Case in point: Tara Lipinski. She may be a World and Olympic champion, but she's the most moronic commentator out there.

perspicuosity

Rinkside
TRIIIIIIPLE Flip ...TRIIIIPLE toe..........

This. Also "And he FIGHTS to hang on!"

Ryan's not bad. I wish he'd include more color on the technical details rather than telling us what we can already see in the tech box. That's one thing I like about David Pelletier when he's on CBC - he will talk about edges, the mechanics of pairs moves, etc.

mrrice

Record Breaker
This. Also "And he FIGHTS to hang on!"

Ryan's not bad. I wish he'd include more color on the technical details rather than telling us what we can already see in the tech box. That's one thing I like about David Pelletier when he's on CBC - he will talk about edges, the mechanics of pairs moves, etc.

David is one of my favorites. When it comes to Ryan, I'm biased because I saw him live and I just love him. Just like David, He's also good lookin'......

Ic3Rabbit

Former Elite, now Pro. ⛸️
Record Breaker
Country
Olympics
David is one of my favorites. When it comes to Ryan, I biased because I saw him live and I just love him. Just like David, He's also good lookin'......

As far as you mrrice ;) yes Ryan is a good looking man, but he's also many other things: Excellent skater and performer, great coach, sweet and kind person and very intelligent, and the list goes on....

As far as everyone else complaining in the thread about things he supposedly doesnt do that other commentators do: Ryan explains these (mechanics of things and how it can go wrong in a jump etc) but people that want to criticize selectively don't hear these.

Tazzle

Spectator
I had to pause while watching the worlds to find someplace to vent about Ryan Bradley’s commentating. I cannot get over how ungodly monotonous and grating his commentary is. (And constant. He never stops!) He literally just recaps EVERY SINGLE Jump and NOTHING ELSE. No background on the skater, no discussion of music, choreography, spins just jumps and how they were completed. Like we can’t see with our own eyes that so and so put their hand down on that landing etc. I don’t get it. How on earth did he get this job? Is there no one else in the figure skating world that is capable of commenting? I’m almost as perplexed as I was over having to suffer through Sandra Bezic’s commentary for so many years.

On a lighter note, I really enjoyed Tara, Johnny and Terry for the Olympics. What a breath of fresh air! They have great chemistry and obviously know what they’re talking about. It’s amazing how much the quality of commentating adds to the enjoyment of watching this sport. A good commentator helps us get to know the skaters so we can get invested in what’s happening year to year. It’s about so much more than just jumps!! I really enjoyed the Olympic skating broadcasts this year and I already am more interested in skating than I have been for years. They have added some much needed pizzazz to televised figure skating that’s been a long time overdue.

Tanith is pretty good, if a bit bland. She’s pleasant to listen to at least. I prefer a less wooden personality but she gets the job done and doesn’t seem as biased as Tracy Wilson was.

I still miss Dick Button though. There won’t ever be another one like him! <3

Tallorder

On the Ice
Ryan will be a featured performer in Boston at their annual Ice Chips show. Maybe some can provide him with feedback directly :agree: