Sara Hurtado & Kirill Khaliavin | Page 14 | Golden Skate

Sara Hurtado & Kirill Khaliavin

malya

On the Ice
They have a really good chance to win their first GP medal this We.. Maybe even silver?

Good luck!

Olibritt

On the Ice
Country
Spain
Sara and Kirill won the silver at Russia GP!!!
I have to admit that I have a lot of mixed feelings about it... and not all of them about celebration:

- I’m really happy for the medal. I don´t care that this is a strange GP season, that many of the top teams are not competing and the quality of the competition (at least at Rostelecom) is not the best we’ve seen... I don´t mind at all! This is the first Spanish ice dance medal in a GP, Sara and Kirill won it and I’m ecstatic for them.

- I’m worried, not only because this was not a good performance, the worst part was their lack of confidence. I don´t know what the problem is, but I really hope that they can fix it. At this point, there’s still a chance for them to go to GPF and I’ll be happy for them if they go... but I’ll be even happier if they don´t and they can fix what needs to be fixed before Nationals and Europeans. Every time I see their programs, I usually find myself smiling... but not this time. I want my smile back!!

- And finally, I’m mad, like really mad at the B.ESP commentators. We all knew that the British uncles, sometimes, are more like the British bother-in-law (“cuñao”)… I can live with that and still enjoy their comments, nobody is perfect. But when they begin to sound like a toxic mother-in-law, I begin to see hidden agendas and I get mad, like I am now.

In sort: Congrats Sara and Kirill but back to work on monday!!

pearly

Record Breaker
I didn't notice the lack of confidence. I doubt they'll get to GPF though.

What were the Brits saying? Maybe biased because of Olivia?

gordana

On the Ice
Country
Russia
Olbrtitt, you intrigued me so I,m going to find a BESP commentary video. I watched the competition without any commentary to get involved in the athmospere in the rink. And BESP commentators usually used to be friendly to each skater and express much simpathy during their performance.

Giselle

Medalist
You made me curious about the BESP commentary.

They made mistakes so I'm ok about criticizing their technique but the comment in the RD about "how many friends do they have among the judges" was way out of line :eek: And thinking that they should have placed below the REED / AMBRULEVICIUS in the RD really???

Olibritt

On the Ice
Country
Spain

They made mistakes so I'm ok about criticizing their technique but the comment in the RD about "how many friends do they have among the judges" was way out of line :eek: And thinking that they should have placed below the REED / AMBRULEVICIUS in the RD really???

I don´t care about the criticisms, Sara and Kirill are not a new young team that needs encouragement, in fact they are trying to be in the top ten and they are going to be exposed to a new level of really hard criticisms. I don´t even care if someone thinks that the other team were better, because maybe they were and that's just an opinion, I'm Ok with that.

But the comment in the RD about "friends", that's a whole different thing, I can´t imagine an explanation for that and I was really mad.
Thank you Giselle, Gordana... for taking the time to look at it.

Yesterday I saw H/K's FD in spanish tv, but today someone uploaded to youtube FD’s B.esp version and they are super nice, it's even funny because they say, more or less, the opposite of what they said in Helsinki GP :laugh: But I'm not complaining about this, that's part of their charm, with their comments they make us feel like we are watching for the first time the programs that we've been seeing all season long. :laugh2:

maryeli

On the Ice
Country
Peru

:angry1: :shock2: I will try to remember TAT's comments about them in their FD (many of them positive)

Sara was posting on Olympic Channel's Instagram, there are photos and any videos on Instatory :luv17:

I'm happy for Sara and Kirill, they will keep getting better and better :yes2:

Giselle

Medalist
Well I have to say that Sara and Kirill totally inspired me.

In the FD, they created a special moment! Kirill especially, I've never seen him skate that way before :) .

I think that their material is great this year and they just need to perform their best at Spanish Nationals and Europeans (thank god Spain has 2 spots!). For Worlds, judging by the last 2 years, the Spanish federation will do whatever they want anyway...

cathlen

Team Gorgeous Cacti!
Record Breaker
Country
Poland
I was baffled about B.ESP commentators as well. Usually they do say some positive things, even if the performance wasn't great, but in case of Sara and Kiril they went straight to critizizing everything. It sounded like they were biased from the beginning and were determined to not like their dances. They weren't perfect by any means, but not finding anything good about them? :disapp:

I on the other hand love their FD, definitely one of my favourites this season! :love: I agree the field was not the strongest in RC, but still, a medal is a medal, just like those from NHK were. Very happy for them, I actually agree that they need more confidence, hopefully a medal is what helps them get it :)

ETA: Yeah, I'm so glad Sara and Kiril managed to secure two spots for Europeans. Much less drama during Nationals.... Both teams with chances for ranking points :) Also, I actually like both Spanish teams, and I hate the forced rivalary.

pearly

Record Breaker
I really don't like how Olivia handled the Olympic selection on social media so right now I prefer Sara and Kiril.

Still haven't watched the BESP commentary video but I would guess they are biased because 1. the other Spanish team features a British skater and 2. the mess with how H/K got to Olympics. We know ice dance is very political and having a Russian coach does wonder in this discipline. If they did comment on having friends among the judges, I'm afraid they have a point. But that one's not on the skaters as much as it is on coaches and feds.

(...)
Ok I've now watched the RD with BESP commentary. It didn't seem bad at all. They comment that they have a lot of friends in the arena since they train in Moscow and go on to wonder whether they have friends amongst the judges - but I didn't take it as if they mean the judges are biased. They did have a mistake in the program.

Last edited:

Tex

On the Ice
Has anyone found video of their exhibition dance for the gala?

Super happy for Sara and Kirill creating history by being the first Spanish ice dance team to win a Grand Prix medal!

maryeli

On the Ice
Country
Peru
In youtube there are fancam videos of the medal ceremony (which handsome Kirill and the beautiful smile of Sara) and the end of the gala (in the official transmission didn't focus on Sara and Kirill so this fancam helps a lot to see them a little more )

Medal ceremony: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0_crMmKlz_A
End EX: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PEPkFCR83Os

Sara wears the same dress as the EX of Europeans, maybe it isn't possible to upload the video for copyright of the song :think:

The lists for Golden Spin of Zagreb came out, not Spanish couples of dance competing this year, it seems that the FED changed its strategy, we will have to wait until nationals

Once again, what happiness for Sara and Kirill :yahoo:

DSQ

Record Breaker
Country
United-Kingdom
(...)
Ok I've now watched the RD with BESP commentary. It didn't seem bad at all. They comment that they have a lot of friends in the arena since they train in Moscow and go on to wonder whether they have friends amongst the judges - but I didn't take it as if they mean the judges are biased. They did have a mistake in the program.

I’m sad that people are taking what the Eurosport boys have said in such a negative way. You’re totally right that it wasn’t meant politically but generally as with such a serious error the judges will have to prefer their over all Dance much more than the Lithuanians who skated clean.

I like this team.

litenkyckling

Final Flight
I’m sad that people are taking what the Eurosport boys have said in such a negative way. You’re totally right that it wasn’t meant politically but generally as with such a serious error the judges will have to prefer their over all Dance much more than the Lithuanians who skated clean.

I like this team.

I have to say, I didn't even notice what they'd said - not sure if this is a case of British humour not being fully understood (I know people often take what I say the wrong way, especially on the internet, when I'm only using typical humour from here...)