Sarah Hughes | Page 3 | Golden Skate

Sarah Hughes

IDLERACER

Medalist
For the record, I thought she looked great on Family Feud last night, although that "mascara" answer is probably going to be haunting her for awhile :biggrin:

2ndmark

Rinkside
lavender said:
Sarah fell on a double jump recently?

During the recent SOI in Dallas she did indeed fall on an attempted double. In fact she didn't attempt anything BUT doubles... unless you count the single axel.

On a brighter note- there was some terrific skating in the show S&P and B&S are really pushing each other with terrific results. Yuka skated beautifully (including at least 2 different landed triples in each program). Todd hit a triple axel. Alexei had lots of speed and power with lots of triples (although mostly toe-loops). A low point was Kurt dragging out that crappy Toybox number which was even less successful live. Overall an iffy show (odd circus/magic theme) with much tedious music but there were some marvelous highlights. And it's a lovely cast- the men are handsome and the women are beautiful... uh... er... well... for the most part.

R.D.

Record Breaker
I don't think the thing here is preparing for the 2006 Olympics, which would be very hard at this point, but possibly challenging for 2010 (where she'll be 24/25 years old). I say go for it if she really wants to.

chuckm

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Sarah would have to return to eligibility this fall in order to go to 2006 Nationals as a reigning Olympic medalwinner, bypassing Regionals and Sectionals. But Sarah has a mountain of work to do to get into even reasonable shape for 2006 Nationals.

Right now, she has only two doubles and a single axel. She needs to have her triples back to compete at Nationals, and to do that, she is going to have to get back in shape. After almost two months in SOI, Sarah's skill set hasn't improved and she isn't in any better shape than she was back in December. She is contracted to skate in SOI until May, and at that point, she will have only 8 months until Nationals. I think she is facing an impossible task.

ceg15

On the Ice
I've never really been a fan of Sarah's skating but to think that a 5'3'' girl (that's what ISU says, anyway) who's turning 20 tomorrow is 150 lbs is pretty ridiculous.
-Originally posted by nicole_l

Ok-did I read this right? Sarah is 5"3 and 150 lbs? Did she always weigh this much? Is this what happenned after the Olympics? It's not overweight at all, but maybe just a little for a past olympic champion figure skater....

chuckm

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Sarah is 5'6", not 5'3". She may have been 5'3" at SLC, but she is a lot taller now.

ceg15

On the Ice
Ok-so is she 150 lbs? If so thats not as bad as her being 5"3 and being 150 lbs. I just finished watching the SOI Family Fued a few minutes ago and she did look alot taller and bigger. Sh's' grown into a woman:)

nicole_l

Final Flight
Ok-did I read this right? Sarah is 5"3 and 150 lbs? Did she always weigh this much? Is this what happenned after the Olympics? It's not overweight at all, but maybe just a little for a past olympic champion figure skater....

Sorry if you misunderstood--some posters said that she was about 150 lbs, so I was trying to say that that's kind of ridiculous.

ceg15

On the Ice
Oh, I understand now! Yes I agree, that does seem kind of ridiculous considering she is a figure skater....It really doesn't matter how tall she is or how much she weighs I still lover ehr for being a great figure skater and the olympic champion. Weight really shouldn't matter, unless the skater is very,very,very overweight! If she has grown, which she has, most defintiely it would've affected her skating-look at Cynthia Phaneuf. The same thing recently happenned to her, but she's back on track now.

euterpe

Medalist
Regardless of WHAT her actual weight is, it is enough to keep Sarah from performing at the level of the other skaters in SOI---and SHE is the headliner. Some of the SOI reviews have alluded to Sarah's appearance and diminished skating skills. It's not so much the weight as that she is not in top physical condition. She has only two doubles, and can execute only a single axel. In the SOI show, she is slow and struggles to keep up with the other performers. Between shows, she's been trying to get her triples back, without success.

When a skater is even a little overweight and not in top conditition at the start of a tour, touring in a show is not conducive to weight control, getting back in shape, or trying to regain lost skills. Too much time is spent sitting on buses, trains and planes, and eating meals catch as catch can. And between rehearsals, performances and traveling, there's precious little time to train.

NorthernLite

On the Ice
2ndmark said:
During the recent SOI in Dallas she did indeed fall on an attempted double. In fact she didn't attempt anything BUT doubles... unless you count the single axel.
The ice in Dallas was particularly bad - Jamie wrote about it in her journal.

We now return you to your regularly scheduled snarkathon. Whatever.

Doggygirl

Record Breaker
Post "Success" Obligations...

I don't think any of us in the US (free country and all) are obligated to perform a certain way, look a certain way, or weigh a certain weight at any time, for any reason.

If the people who pay Sarah to participate in SOI think her overall package is detracting from paying customers, then I'm sure they will deal with it. Sarah's business deal with the SOI (and vice versa) is just that - a business deal.

I'm sure glad nobody publicly tells me (criticizes) that I'm a poor representative of women in business because I weigh more than I should, and don't wear skirt suits anymore, and don't even (EEE-gads) speak the "politically correct" part anymore.

Just because she won an OGM doesn't obligate her to maintain a certain weight, project a certain image, or perform particular jumps on the ice. If you don't want to see her, don't buy a ticket. If you want to see the other performers in the show even if you DON'T want to see her, then I guess you'll still have to buy a ticket. Or boycott. Or take your potty / hot dog break when she is performing.

Bottom line - we all have our own choices to exercise, as does Sarah. I don't see where she has any obligations to any of us. She won her OGM on the night of her performance there. That's it.

DG

mpal2

Final Flight
Doggygirl said:
I don't think any of us in the US (free country and all) are obligated to perform a certain way, look a certain way, or weigh a certain weight at any time, for any reason.

Hollywood is in trouble then. :)

Eeyora

Final Flight
So when a skater wins the OGM should they now sign a contract that states if they gain a certain amount of weight they will be stripped of their title? :rofl:

R.D.

Record Breaker
NorthernLite said:
We now return you to your regularly scheduled snarkathon. Whatever.

:laugh:

DG, ITA. I just don't get why everyone is bagging on Sarah so much.

sk8tngcanuck

On the Ice
Good Lord People,

Leave the girl ALONE! Get over it - she has an OGM and just because she has put on a few pounds and hasn't continued her training regiment as it was pre Olympics does NOT make her a poor role model, inept, or unworthy of the OGM. I can't believe some of the outright awful comments on this thread about a young lady who has accomplished what she has. No, she wasn't my first pick for an OGM, but you know what - she won it on the basis of the program she skated THAT night.

How many times on this board have we all discussed people being held up because of their reputation? How many times have we been perturbed because they were given a gift on a certain night? This time, the judges rewarded what happened on the ice THAT night - they didn't reward reputation, and yet there are those who cry fowl because of that.

Make up your minds - you either want them rewarding reputation or you don't! It can't go both ways.

Sarah earned her medal that night. Irina and Michelle didn't deliver period end of story. I think it ludicrous that there is so much negativity and terrible comments questioning Sarah's deserving the title seeing as how she has managed to get on with her life and God forbid, has focussed on something other than a gruelling training schedule.

She isn't my favourite, never has been, probably never will be, but she is still due the respect of those of us who call ourselves skating fans (not fans of particular skaters!) for delivering a stellar performance that was worthy of OG.

Canuck

Linny

Final Flight
Skaters and Weight Gain

Didn't Tai Babalonia speak about problems with weight gain after she and Randy left eligible skating? Wasn't there something in her book about pressure from Tom Collins and bulimia? Perhaps someone who has her book can refresh us...
Linny

Doggygirl

Record Breaker
Hey Red Dog...

Red Dog said:
:laugh:

DG, ITA. I just don't get why everyone is bagging on Sarah so much.

Maybe there should be some sort of agreement that only those people who are at the same body fat % they were when they were 16 can comment on other people's weight.

That means I better keep my trap shut. ;)

DG