Sasha Cohen update | Page 6 | Golden Skate

Sasha Cohen update

herios

Medalist
It would seem then my question of Who has left figure skating and made a comeback? One poster wrote Todd, and apparently he did not really leave competitive skating as you say. So my question remains: Who if anyone left skating for 2 or more years, made a comeback and was successful? It seems no one did. So Sasha if she were to do that would be the first if and only if she is successful. I'm not against her returning, but it will be rough going.

Sasha didn't leave skating either. She turned pro, whatever is left in proskating. She is touring full time with SOI. That is not like she has left the scene.
But reality is, in SOI she is not in competition environment. She can get away with less technical content. But at the same time, it is a demanding schedule.
That is why I am somewhat skeptical that she will be fresh in early summer to start working hard on preparing an eventual Olympic quest. She will be on the road for basically 5 months (they started in december and will be finishing in late April).
Last year in Toronto (where I am living) I saw her. They arrive here usually in mid April and she skated quite poorly (only one jump attempt in 2 programs, a 2 axel she fell on). The rest was spins, spirals and a lot of streching. I saw her debut in Lake Placid on youtube. It looked way better, but I am afraid she will be washed out by April.

I am going to see what kind of shape and form she will show again. But I know Todd looked a whole lot better when he was pausing (99-2000) and he always been a very reliable technical skater, while Sasha wasn't.

Hikaru

Final Flight
I doubt they will, but they certainly could. I am very certain I saw a video of them doing a show this past winter where she landed a huge triple throw, just like the old days. They are so well trained, they will probably be doing triple twists and triple throws in the 70's! :rofl:

AWESOME!!!!:rock::rock::rock::rock::rock:

They have retired for good. Not quite sure why some people keep dreaming about these comebacks, when there is not even any hint out there
I would have sworn they left open the possibility of a return to chase that Olympic Gold.

herios

Medalist
I would have sworn they left open the possibility of a return to chase that Olympic Gold.

You remember something well, after they won their World title in 2007, they said they will take a year off and LEFT opened the door for a possible return, while they started touring with SOI.
However, you might have missed the announcement, that they officially announced their retirement a few months ago.

nubka

Final Flight
Or she could skate a kick-***-out-of-this-universe SP that would allow her to have enough points to keep a lead. It has been done by some skaters these past years.

Quite true...Alissa at Nationals! :yes:

mycelticblessing

Final Flight
They have retired for good. Not quite sure why some people keep dreaming about these comebacks, when there is not even any hint out there

Porbably because none of today's pairs have managed to reach the standard Shen and Zhao were at when they retired.

You remember something well, after they won their World title in 2007, they said they will take a year off and LEFT opened the door for a possible return, while they started touring with SOI.
However, you might have missed the announcement, that they officially announced their retirement a few months ago.
You're right - I missed that one. :cry:

feraina

Record Breaker
I say WOW, good for Sasha if she can put her mind to it! National's next year will be very interesting!

MK's Winter

Record Breaker
If Sasha and Michelle were at Nationals could you imagine the ratings and the ticket prices, I'd give my right arm....:love:

Pikachuusb

On the Ice
If Sasha and Michelle were at Nationals could you imagine the ratings and the ticket prices, I'd give my right arm....:love:

If I could guarantee Michelle:love: , Sasha, Mirai, Caroline, Bebe & Alissa were all going to be @ Nationals this upcoming year, Id give my left arm, my right arm and both of my boyfriends arms to be there:rofl::laugh::yes:

You know what? I wouldn't.

I like who we have out there now. I think U.S. Nationals will be an awesome competition without anyone coming back to save the day. I look forward to cheering for Rachael, Mirai, Ashley, Caroline and Alissa, plus the next surprise contender who is flyng under the radar in juniors at the moment.

As for Michelle and Sasha -- real life calls! Go Michelle (any news from her State Department trip to Unkrain yet?) Go Sasha!

demarinis5

Gold for the Winter Prince!
Record Breaker
As for Michelle and Sasha -- real life calls! Go Michelle (any news from her State Department trip to Unkrain yet?) Go Sasha!

Yes there is. Over at MKF there are some interviews and photos of Michelle in Ukraine. Also a video of Michelle giving a skating clinic and I have to say that Ms. Kwan looks very happy and comfortable in the role as teacher.

You know what? I wouldn't.

I like who we have out there now. I think U.S. Nationals will be an awesome competition without anyone coming back to save the day. I look forward to cheering for Rachael, Mirai, Ashley, Caroline and Alissa, plus the next surprise contender who is flyng under the radar in juniors at the moment.

To my mind this way of thinking of skating as a "be nice to the little ones" thing diminishes the sport.

Imagine if Michael Jordan had been told to stop playing in his prime because he was keeping the young guys down.

Or if they told Venus two years ago, Forget Wimbledon! You're 26, you had your turn - now it's time to make way for the next generation.

Or if Svetlana Khorkina had been pushed out before her third World gold (or third Olympics) because gymnastics is for teenagers.

It's not just the star athlete who benefits from greatness. Everyone needs something to aspire to. Banish the great or the near-great because "they've already had it" and you flatten the world. Besides, the world generally takes care of such risk-takers anyway. It's pretty Darwinian out there.

Even if niceness is more important in sports than excellence (which I dispute!), the flip side of making room for younger athletes is telling the older ones they're useless. Not everyone has the State Department offering them jobs. That doesn't seem too nice to me.

herios

Medalist
To my mind this way of thinking of skating as a "be nice to the little ones" thing diminishes the sport.

Imagine if Michael Jordan had been told to stop playing in his prime because he was keeping the young guys down.

Or if they told Venus two years ago, Forget Wimbledon! You're 26, you had your turn - now it's time to make way for the next generation.

Or if Svetlana Khorkina had been pushed out before her third World gold (or third Olympics) because gymnastics is for teenagers.

It's not just the star athlete who benefits from greatness. Everyone needs something to aspire to. Banish the great or the near-great because "they've already had it" and you flatten the world. Besides, the world generally takes care of such risk-takers anyway. It's pretty Darwinian out there.

Even if niceness is more important in sports than excellence (which I dispute!), the flip side of making room for younger athletes is telling the older ones they're useless. Not everyone has the State Department offering them jobs. That doesn't seem too nice to me.

I agree with you completely. But the fact is Michelle is not even toying with the idea of coming back, it's just some pathetic nostalgia of her biggest fans keeps that idea alive and will be with them until she will be 50 years old:)

Kinga

Medalist
If I could guarantee Michelle:love: , Sasha, Mirai, Caroline, Bebe & Alissa were all going to be @ Nationals this upcoming year, Id give my left arm, my right arm and both of my boyfriends arms to be there:rofl::laugh::yes:

:rofl: First I read 'and my both boyfriends' :chorus:

Is this in response to what I wrote? "I like who we have out there now."

I do not see how me liking the current generation of American skaters diminishes the sport.

antmanb

Record Breaker
Is this in response to what I wrote? "I like who we have out there now."

I do not see how me liking the current generation of American skaters diminishes the sport.

It dimishes your lifetime membership of the :bow:UberKwan:bow: fanclub MM and therefore dimishes the sport. Soon, someone from the :bow:Kwan:bow: mafia will sneak into your house, late at night, find that card and tear it up into tiny pieces, for you obviously no longer support the :bow:Kween:bow: fully and hang onto every last tiny hope that she might skate a competitive program once again.

:rofl: :chorus: :rofl: :chorus:

Ant <sorry i couldn't help myself>

Dee4707

Ice Is Slippery - Alexie Yagudin
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Great job Ant, sticking it to Math is the best!!!