Satoko Miyahara | Page 100 | Golden Skate

Satoko Miyahara

ioanna

Record Breaker
Is it me or her jumps are looking better?

I think it is actually possible for her jumps to look better in practice than they do in competition. Satoko has said before that her jumps get smaller and more prone to UR when she's nervous.

randomfan

Record Breaker
I think it is actually possible for her jumps to look better in practice than they do in competition. Satoko has said before that her jumps get smaller and more prone to UR when she's nervous.

Funny thing is, Satoko IMO never even looks nervous in competition :laugh:. I didn’t know that word existed in her own dictionary until I read an interview of her a while ago!

ioanna

Record Breaker
Funny thing is, Satoko IMO never even looks nervous in competition :laugh:. I didn’t know that word existed in her own dictionary until I read an interview of her a while ago!

I know, it's a strange concept :laugh: But having followed her so many years I can definitely say her jumps look worse when she's nervous. Watch her SP and FS from 2016 Japanese Nationals back to back and you'll probably see. She was very relaxed in the SP and landed the best second half 3Lz-3T of that entire season.

But then before the FS Hamada had a talk with her and said "you need to learn how to land those jumps when you're nervous, because that's what's going to be like at the Olympics" and "you've got plenty of girls who can take that National title instead of you". As a consequence her jumps in the FS look smaller and she got 2 UR calls.

SP
https://www.youtube.com/WwY1K3Btsuk

FS
https://www.youtube.com/nK3w7hOMNOk

ioanna

Record Breaker
I didn't watch the SP live either but I checked the scores later and already dreaded the (new) judging scandal.

Oh well. Satoko can't score her own programs, neither can I or other Satoko fans. The downside to all of this is the increased hate she's getting. Link to her SP:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0qlVhIVju04

I noticed some slight changes to the choreography. Just in the little turns of her head at the beginning and during her step sequence. This program was overall better than at Skate America and I'm amazed that she can still improve given the fact that she wasn't supposed to be here. It's her 3rd competition in 5 weeks. :drama:

Well done Satoko! :cheer2:

solar

I got cat class and I got cat style
Medalist
Country
United-States
Best she's performed her SP this season for me! I'm really enjoying her performances, and I'm fine with her scores :agree:

NoNameFace

GS given name - Beatrice
Record Breaker
And yet again big statements and accusations are proclaimed after SP with so little consideration over the fact that this is a judges' job to send a right message to a skater, even the harshest one possible regarding his/her technique of skating. And stating that someone deliberately 'cheats', because he/she is lazy enough to not fix his/her jumping issues is another level for me, not even worthy commenting. Funny that 'double standards' trend is still going strong, because from what I see, there are more skaters who apparently have jumping issues to fix - even with high jumps - yet there's no message from judges to them either...Olympic season in its bloom, welcome to the jungle.

Anyway, congratulations to Satoko on holding her nerves and producing quality performance that grabbed the spirit of the music perfectly and portrayal of a character. One of a few skaters who are able to moderate performance's atmosphere through movement and little gestures - sometimes, I wished that she had a fan like Sayuri in 'Memoirs of a Geisha' movie and danced with it, her hand movements are so intricate and delicately fulfills the program. Also, maybe it's just me, but I noticed this transition between two first spins getting much more punctuated, sharper and defined with the music. Of course, layback was perfection as always and a perfect drama-builder towards the end pose.

Satoko, keep pushing for yourself - that's the only influence you have.

solar

Medalist
Country
United-States
I agree, I'm getting tired of all the negativity that comes in every thread of a competition that Satoko competes in. That's one part I didn't miss about Satoko's hiatus. I'm not so knowledgeable or invested in the rhetoric of jumping techniques or ISU rulings, etc. so I don't have much to say about the heated debate going on about pre-rotations or URs. What I do know, however, is that Satoko has addressed her jumps countless times in interviews and to me, has visibly worked hard on improving it over the years. We've all read the practice reports; everyone knows that she drills those jumps over and over again and doesn't settle for any less. Even so much so that she's injured herself. The accusations that Satoko is purposefully cheating the judging system is perplexing to me, and the argument that she is being overscored doesn't make that much sense to me either. In fact, Satoko's had to work the hardest in order for her PCS and scores to gradually inflate like other skater's scores seem to naturally do.

I don't understand why she is getting so much hate; sure, there can be critiques towards the judging system as to the coherency and enforcement of their rules, but for now, judging is how it is. Satoko's job isn't to judge and make calls on her own jumps. Her job, and the only thing she has control over, is her own performance. And to me, she's one of the most elegant and nuanced skaters in that regard. I think it's pointless to blame the skater and to go as far as accuse her of being lazy and knowingly cheating the system when all evidence points otherwise.

I've anticipated Satoko's comeback for months and have been so impressed with how she's shown up these past two competitions. While I am also a fan of younger, more powerful skaters, I realized while watching her over the years that it's the skaters that tell a story and really interpret the music that move me the most. It's disheartening as a fan to see all this vitriol thrown at her, but it's also easy for me to just ignore the noise and watch her skate :)
I'm so excited for the Ladies FS and I hope Satoko continues her streak of good performances at the Grand Prix Final! :agree:

ioanna

Record Breaker
After 3 competitions I've noticed the same few users who are taking the judging inaccuracy and inconsistency to a personal level and throwing accusations such as Satoko cheating the system on purpose and having some kind of deal with the federation... after the comments they've posted today I just scroll over their posts without even reading.

Once again I feel like the 3Lz-3T combos she does in practice are better than the ones in competition. Her comment after the program was that she was nervous skating first so I thought ah, the nerves kicked in again. I thought the 3Lo was much better. And I really like the transitions into the 2A.

GGFan

Record Breaker
It can be wrapped up many ways a lot of this is: 1) Olympics, 2) two spots in Japan, and 3) several great skaters.

Loved her performance today. She seems more confident. Looking forward to her free--especially that footwork! :love:

NoNameFace

GS given name - Beatrice
Record Breaker
The cutest picture of Satoko and Wakaba at the FS skating order draw.
http://www3.nhk.or.jp/news/html/20171208/k10011252051000.html

:love:, the cutest indeed, thanks for sharing, ioanna!:thank:

seeing the picture, a thought came to me that both ladies actually are at disadvantage: Wakaba being screwed by judges, Satoko being screwed by viewers...Honestly - at this point, I do not know which is worse and more harmful for a skater, yesterday's reactions totally tested my patience (and I am REALLY patient person, believe me) and good thing that Kaetlyn escaped chopping board at least, ecause she's usually a sure pick for overscoring comments, too (but there's always FS today...:slink:)

sakurano

Final Flight
they are too cute.

looking closer I just noticed Satoko's makeup eyes she made sure to do the make-up of Geisha I find it very pretty. it shows that she does not only work on all skating but also on the character she plays. in this case the book.

I loved the movie I've seen many times and I'm delighted with the Sayuri shows us Satoko.

good I do not like his Lp but it's because I like when the programs are different however it makes us want to override and appreciate its performance.

good luck to the LP

jenm

The Last One Degree
Medalist
Congratulations to Satoko! Thank you for making my night more beautiful! :love:

solar

Medalist
Country
United-States
Satoko continues to get inconsistent messages from the judges about her jumps, but one thing that's consistent is how much I always love her programs and her skating :agree: Not her best, but she's not in top form yet. The best is still to come :)

ioanna

Record Breaker
Satoko knows when her jumps are underrotated, she also knew at Skate America. She got called today. Some people should apologize for the cruel claims they've made yesterday without waiting for the final result.

I hope Satoko will rest well before Nationals and keep going on her road to complete recovery. These last few weeks have been busy and she barely had any time to realize that she'd made it to the GPF.