Seeking help regarding boots/blades for adult beginner with weird feet | Golden Skate

Seeking help regarding boots/blades for adult beginner with weird feet

Friday

Rinkside
Hello everyone,

after lurking around here for quite some time and reading possibly every existing question about boots and blades for beginners, its time for my own post :D

My feet are kind of a special case and I have zero experience with the few fitters in my country (and, frankly speaking, don’t really trust them that much), so I would love to get some help and possible boot/blades recommendations for my feet before paying a visit to a skate shop.

Apologies in advance for the pretty long text and if I use weird phrasing – English isn’t my first language ^^

Some info about me:

I’m 19, 163 cm tall, and weigh about 53 kg (5'4/116 pounds). I’ve begun skating last year, but could only go to the rink thrice before yet another lockdown hit. Therefore, I’m a real beginner and hope to master my forward crossovers this autumn :)
I do horseback-riding since I’ve been about 4 years old and used to do taekwondo for about 6 years when I was younger – so I have quite strong thighs?

I think that I would prefer a boot that’s a bit stiffer because apparently, I have a little bit too elastic ligaments (as told by my doctor). I’m prone to just randomly tripping and twisting my ankle and used to overstretch my ankle ligaments a few times when I was a kid. It got better with the exercises I do for ankle strength though.

My old skates are gently used Jackson Artiste 5.5 in C width that I got from a colleague of my mom. I know now that those probably aren’t for adult beginners but I didn’t know I would fall in love with skating o.o I just wanted some skates that weren’t rentals at that time and to try out a new sport and now I can’t get enough of it.

Now about my feet:

Unfortunately, I can’t use the Artistes anymore due to my feet’s condition worsening. My feet have always been strange and I use orthotics in my normal shoes since I’m little. I have flat feet / collapsed arches, pronation and my navicular bones are overdeveloped (at least I hope that what’s that bone is called) and stick out a bit.

At first, I had a few problems with the Artistes (my arch hurt like hell after a short time), but after the cushioning adapted to my feet (and that strange bone that sticks out, lol) and I bought yellow superfeet and put them in the skates, I had no pain even after 2 full hours of skating.

Apart from all of that, I have kind of duck feet (is it called splay foot?), meaning that when I put pressure on my foot, the ball spreads apart and gets significantly wider. This was minor and not an issue until this year when I didn’t do sports and my feet exercises that regularly because of finals. I developed tailor bunions on the outer part of my ball on both feet and my ball got wider – now the Artistes are too small in that area and it hurts :/

My orthopedist told me that the musculature in my feet decreased and prescribed me new exercises for the bunion, the splay foot and the collapsed arches that I should do regularly.
After doing those exercises every day for some time, I can see major improvements. Not only got the bunions a bit smaller, but I can see an arch form as well – I just don’t think I will fit in the Artistes anytime soon, if ever again. And I know of course that apart from the fact that they are too soft for an adult like me, I don’t even know if they fit my feet. (Although I do think that with my feet, Jackson or maybe Risport are my best bet?)

My heels are pretty normal / maybe on the smaller side? As said before, my balls are WIDE:
Circumference: 22,7 – 23 cm (L) and 22,3 – 22,7 cm (R) and both about 10 cm wide while standing.

I don’t have a high instep and my toes are a mixture between Roman and Egyptian? (my second toe is as long as the big toe, the others are tapered).
I got my feet measured at my last appointment with the orthopedist with a 2D scan and the lengths of my feet are 234 mm (L) and 236 mm (R). When I measured them at home with this trace-foot-shape method (don’t know the exact name), they are both about 240 mm long, but I do remember that the Artistes felt smaller on the right foot in the beginning.

I know that all that information about my feet seems like a lot…. I would just rather have an idea about what boot brand/model ( + blade) would be right in my case before trying them on at a skate shop because I do know my wallet will be crying by the end of it…. And I don’t want to spend a lot of money, only for the skates to not fit me well and cause even more problems than my feet already do!

Again, sorry about this really long post. Thank you for reading through all of that and for your help!

Ic3Rabbit

Former Elite, now Pro. ⛸️
Record Breaker
Country
Olympics
Hello everyone,

after lurking around here for quite some time and reading possibly every existing question about boots and blades for beginners, its time for my own post :D

My feet are kind of a special case and I have zero experience with the few fitters in my country (and, frankly speaking, don’t really trust them that much), so I would love to get some help and possible boot/blades recommendations for my feet before paying a visit to a skate shop.

Apologies in advance for the pretty long text and if I use weird phrasing – English isn’t my first language ^^

Some info about me:

I’m 19, 163 cm tall, and weigh about 53 kg (5'4/116 pounds). I’ve begun skating last year, but could only go to the rink thrice before yet another lockdown hit. Therefore, I’m a real beginner and hope to master my forward crossovers this autumn :)
I do horseback-riding since I’ve been about 4 years old and used to do taekwondo for about 6 years when I was younger – so I have quite strong thighs?

I think that I would prefer a boot that’s a bit stiffer because apparently, I have a little bit too elastic ligaments (as told by my doctor). I’m prone to just randomly tripping and twisting my ankle and used to overstretch my ankle ligaments a few times when I was a kid. It got better with the exercises I do for ankle strength though.

My old skates are gently used Jackson Artiste 5.5 in C width that I got from a colleague of my mom. I know now that those probably aren’t for adult beginners but I didn’t know I would fall in love with skating o.o I just wanted some skates that weren’t rentals at that time and to try out a new sport and now I can’t get enough of it.

Now about my feet:

Unfortunately, I can’t use the Artistes anymore due to my feet’s condition worsening. My feet have always been strange and I use orthotics in my normal shoes since I’m little. I have flat feet / collapsed arches, pronation and my navicular bones are overdeveloped (at least I hope that what’s that bone is called) and stick out a bit.

At first, I had a few problems with the Artistes (my arch hurt like hell after a short time), but after the cushioning adapted to my feet (and that strange bone that sticks out, lol) and I bought yellow superfeet and put them in the skates, I had no pain even after 2 full hours of skating.

Apart from all of that, I have kind of duck feet (is it called splay foot?), meaning that when I put pressure on my foot, the ball spreads apart and gets significantly wider. This was minor and not an issue until this year when I didn’t do sports and my feet exercises that regularly because of finals. I developed tailor bunions on the outer part of my ball on both feet and my ball got wider – now the Artistes are too small in that area and it hurts :/

My orthopedist told me that the musculature in my feet decreased and prescribed me new exercises for the bunion, the splay foot and the collapsed arches that I should do regularly.
After doing those exercises every day for some time, I can see major improvements. Not only got the bunions a bit smaller, but I can see an arch form as well – I just don’t think I will fit in the Artistes anytime soon, if ever again. And I know of course that apart from the fact that they are too soft for an adult like me, I don’t even know if they fit my feet. (Although I do think that with my feet, Jackson or maybe Risport are my best bet?)

My heels are pretty normal / maybe on the smaller side? As said before, my balls are WIDE:
Circumference: 22,7 – 23 cm (L) and 22,3 – 22,7 cm (R) and both about 10 cm wide while standing.

I don’t have a high instep and my toes are a mixture between Roman and Egyptian? (my second toe is as long as the big toe, the others are tapered).
I got my feet measured at my last appointment with the orthopedist with a 2D scan and the lengths of my feet are 234 mm (L) and 236 mm (R). When I measured them at home with this trace-foot-shape method (don’t know the exact name), they are both about 240 mm long, but I do remember that the Artistes felt smaller on the right foot in the beginning.

I know that all that information about my feet seems like a lot…. I would just rather have an idea about what boot brand/model ( + blade) would be right in my case before trying them on at a skate shop because I do know my wallet will be crying by the end of it…. And I don’t want to spend a lot of money, only for the skates to not fit me well and cause even more problems than my feet already do!

Again, sorry about this really long post. Thank you for reading through all of that and for your help!
Hi and welcome. I was going to initially suggest an Edea for you. But now that you have the very wide toebox area, Jackson or Risport, but IDK that you'll be able to be fit in a stock boot, you may have to do some level of customization.

Friday

Rinkside
Hi and welcome. I was going to initially suggest an Edea for you. But now that you have the very wide toebox area, Jackson or Risport, but IDK that you'll be able to be fit in a stock boot, you may have to do some level of customization.
Thanks for your reply, I had hoped you would do! ^^

May I ask why you would be suggesting Edea for me? I try to learn something from every answer of you, it's just so interesting *-*
Initially I thought of Edea too because of the E width (although I don't know if it is equivalent to the Jackson D width, I couldn't really find something online about it).

But then I figured that with my pronation + the fact that the Artiste kinda worked for my feet (at least it felt like they would do) Risport or Jackson would be better. Glad to have learned something new!

I hoped to get away with a stock boot and possibly punching and/or stretching it out around the area of my small toe and bunion (and those yellow superfeet, they are awesome!). I just don't think I can afford a (rapid) custom boot and my parents would declare me as crazy as well! xD

Anyway, I know I should really go to a fitter and try those boots out to get a feel about the different widths.... Do you know any good fitters in the south of Germany and Austria?

In terms of boot model and blade, what would be your suggestions for a beginner like me?

Again, thank you for your help and that you are sharing your knowledge with all of us!

Ic3Rabbit

Record Breaker
Country
Olympics
Thanks for your reply, I had hoped you would do! ^^

May I ask why you would be suggesting Edea for me? I try to learn something from every answer of you, it's just so interesting *-*
Initially I thought of Edea too because of the E width (although I don't know if it is equivalent to the Jackson D width, I couldn't really find something online about it).

But then I figured that with my pronation + the fact that the Artiste kinda worked for my feet (at least it felt like they would do) Risport or Jackson would be better. Glad to have learned something new!

I hoped to get away with a stock boot and possibly punching and/or stretching it out around the area of my small toe and bunion (and those yellow superfeet, they are awesome!). I just don't think I can afford a (rapid) custom boot and my parents would declare me as crazy as well! xD

Anyway, I know I should really go to a fitter and try those boots out to get a feel about the different widths.... Do you know any good fitters in the south of Germany and Austria?

In terms of boot model and blade, what would be your suggestions for a beginner like me?

Again, thank you for your help and that you are sharing your knowledge with all of us!
I stated that I was going to suggest Edea but not once you stated about your very wide toebox. So, that means NO to edea.
Also rapid custom is not going to cost you like a FULL CUSTOM, and it may be you're only choice if stock boots don't work with your feet (even with adjusting/punching out....you can only do so much to them).
You need to have a professional measure and trace your feet for a proper fit.
The only fitter/shop I know of in that area for Jackson is
GLACE EISSPORT
UNTERE DONAULANDE, PARKBAD
LINZ, A-4020,

Closest Risport is:
RAG.SOC.
PFISTERES-BOHNER OEG
INDIRIZZO
OLYMPIASTRASSE
CAP
LOCALITA
PV
A-6020 INNSBRUCK
TELEFONO
0043 512 345814
MAIL
[email protected]

Friday

Rinkside
I stated that I was going to suggest Edea but not once you stated about your very wide toebox. So, that means NO to edea.
Also rapid custom is not going to cost you like a FULL CUSTOM, and it may be you're only choice if stock boots don't work with your feet (even with adjusting/punching out....you can only do so much to them).
You need to have a professional measure and trace your feet for a proper fit.
The only fitter/shop I know of in that area for Jackson is
GLACE EISSPORT
UNTERE DONAULANDE, PARKBAD
LINZ, A-4020,

Closest Risport is:
RAG.SOC.
PFISTERES-BOHNER OEG
INDIRIZZO
OLYMPIASTRASSE
CAP
LOCALITA
PV
A-6020 INNSBRUCK
TELEFONO
0043 512 345814
MAIL
[email protected]

Ah sorry, I meant that I would like to know why you would have suggested Edea before learning about my wide toebox.
Sorry for the unclear question and the misunderstanding, it was very early and I was still half asleep while I wrote that - maybe not the best idea :palmf:

Thanks for your help, I will call them and make an appointment!

In case a stock boot might work for me, is the stiffness of the Risport Electra / Jackson Elle (possibly Entre?) alright or would those be considered as overbooting? I would just like to know which boot models I should focus on because as I said I'm a bit wary of the fitters - I talked with the lady at the shop I sharpened the blades of the Artiste, and she straight up told me that I had made a good catch with the skates (they were originally bought at that shop by their previous owner) and that they should last me till beginning single jumps... After reading some posts here that seems kinda wrong and even dangerous though...

Ic3Rabbit

Record Breaker
Country
Olympics
Ah sorry, I meant that I would like to know why you would have suggested Edea before learning about my wide toebox.
Sorry for the unclear question and the misunderstanding, it was very early and I was still half asleep while I wrote that - maybe not the best idea :palmf:

Thanks for your help, I will call them and make an appointment!

In case a stock boot might work for me, is the stiffness of the Risport Electra / Jackson Elle (possibly Entre?) alright or would those be considered as overbooting? I would just like to know which boot models I should focus on because as I said I'm a bit wary of the fitters - I talked with the lady at the shop I sharpened the blades of the Artiste, and she straight up told me that I had made a good catch with the skates (they were originally bought at that shop by their previous owner) and that they should last me till beginning single jumps... After reading some posts here that seems kinda wrong and even dangerous though...
I was initially thinking Edea b/c you have flat feet, until you mentioned your other issues with the splaying and needing the width or "duck feet" as you said. Don't try Edea now.

The boot styles you suggested: No. The Elle is way too soft for an adult your height/weight and leg strength , and you will get injured if the boot is too soft and cannot support you properly. Those are mostly used by kids.
As far as Jackson look at the Premiere Fusion or you could do rapid custom and get the Synergy Pro. I would suggest something stock in the Synergy Pro stiffness range for you in Jackson, but there is nothing it's either a bit stiffer or a good amount less.

Be aware that stiffness ratings are not universal across brands. You could try the Electra in Risport, but you may need to go with the RF3 Pro, which will last you awhile (or should).

Since these are boot only, you will need to buy a blade. Intermediate blade like MK Pro or JW Coronation Ace will work.
I hope this will finally help you out and you can finally get properly fit and on the ice soon!
I apologize if after this I don't answer as quickly, it is beginning of season for many skaters and their pros as well as other pro related events.

Good luck! :)

Last edited:

Friday

Rinkside
I was initially thinking Edea b/c you have flat feet, until you mentioned your other issues with the splaying and needing the width or "duck feet" as you said. Don't try Edea now.

The boot styles you suggested: No. The Elle is way too soft for an adult your height/weight and leg strength , and you will get injured if the boot is too soft and cannot support you properly. Those are mostly used by kids.
As far as Jackson look at the Premiere Fusion or you could do rapid custom and get the Synergy Pro. I would suggest something stock in the Synergy Pro stiffness range for you in Jackson, but there is nothing it's either a bit stiffer or a good amount less.

Be aware that stiffness ratings are not universal across brands. You could try the Electra in Risport, but you may need to go with the RF3 Pro, which will last you awhile (or should).

Since these are boot only, you will need to buy a blade. Intermediate blade like MK Pro or JW Coronation Ace will work.
I hope this will finally help you out and you can finally get properly fit and on the ice soon!
I apologize if after this I don't answer as quickly, it is beginning of season for many skaters and their pros as well as other pro related events.

Good luck! :)

Wait, Premiere or RF3 Pro?!

I have to admit, I'm a bit intimidated by the stiffness of those as a beginner... :oops:
I will travel to the shop in Innsbruck and try them out though :biggrin:

Of course, thank you so much for your help!!!

Ic3Rabbit

Record Breaker
Country
Olympics
Wait, Premiere or RF3 Pro?!

I have to admit, I'm a bit intimidated by the stiffness of those as a beginner... :oops:
I will travel to the shop in Innsbruck and try them out though :biggrin:

Of course, thank you so much for your help!!!
I said premiere b/c I doubt you'll do the Synergy Pro. Most everything else in Jackson below that is not stiff enough for an ADULT with your height/weight/needs.
And I did say you could try the Risport Electra.

Friday

Rinkside
Hello, just wanted to give a quick update ( + got another question about blades :rolleye: ):

I went to the shop in Innsbruck and got fitted.
After telling the guy there about my foot problems, the first skates he took out of the shelf were Edea Overtures and he tried to talk me into believing that Jacksons were old schooled and that Risport & Edea boots are far superior ( I wonder why the current Olympic champion wears Jacksons then?:angry: ) He also claimed that it's not true that Jacksons are good for wide feet :bang:
( I was not impressed :slink:, especially because he didn't trace my feet and neither measured the width. I asked him why he didn't, and apparently feet tend to swell in hot weather, so he thought it would be pointless to do so....??? :scratch2:)

Because the skate shop in Innsbruck does have a very good reputation (at least the best from my list) and a lot of people even from abroad go there to get fitted (talked with a few people who work at the Olympic rink there), I stayed calm and didn't just run from the shop (don't know if I should have though...:biggrin:)

After telling him that the Overtures just felt terrible, he put me in a pair of Electras though, they felt much better and even he then realised that they suit my feet way more (he straight up told me that he won't sell me RF3 Pros as he thinks they are to stiff).
We tried out different lengths and agreed on staying with 240 (even though my right foot is slightly cramped - in a 245 the right was swimming, I'm still amazed how 2 mm can make worlds of a difference). So now both boots get stretched a few mm in width and the right one in length as well (how the hell are they going to figure out the right width if they don't trace my feet ?!)

For the blade, I choose a CA. Only problem I just found out later is: they are sold out almost everywhere. Guy promised to email JW and just called me back that the approximate delivery period is about 8 - 12 weeks (they are having problems with the steel supply?).
First thought: should I just go with the MK Pro instead ???

I read the post about CA vs. Pro today and really think that the 'softer' rocker of the CA will be better for me as a beginner. Honestly, I'm almost crying - why is this so damn complicated? 😭😂

After excessive search online I found a shop which still has the CA in a 9 1/4.
I looked at the sizing chart for Risport by kinziescloset, but can't really understand it.... What is the difference between 'approx. blade size 1/3' and 'approx. blade size 1/4' ? For 1/3 a blade in size 9 would be good, but for 1/4 a blade in size 9 1/4 ?
( Right know I'm even considering to order the blade from Al's skate shop )

Would a CA in size 9 1/4 be right for a boot in 240?

I will call the shop tomorrow, but after the experience in Innsbruck, my trust issues in the European pro shops didn't really vanish...

What should I do / would you guys recommend ?:shrug:

Last edited:

Ic3Rabbit

Record Breaker
Country
Olympics
Hello, just wanted to give a quick update ( + got another question about blades :rolleye: ):

I went to the shop in Innsbruck and got fitted.
After telling the guy there about my foot problems, the first skates he took out of the shelf were Edea Overtures and he tried to talk me into believing that Jacksons were old schooled and that Risport & Edea boots are far superior ( I wonder why the current Olympic champion wears Jacksons then?:angry: ) He also claimed that it's not true that Jacksons are good for wide feet :bang:
( I was not impressed :slink:, especially because he didn't trace my feet and neither measured the width. I asked him why he didn't, and apparently feet tend to swell in hot weather, so he thought it would be pointless to do so....??? :scratch2:)

Because the skate shop in Innsbruck does have a very good reputation (at least the best from my list) and a lot of people even from abroad go there to get fitted (talked with a few people who work at the Olympic rink there), I stayed calm and didn't just run from the shop (don't know if I should have though...:biggrin:)

After telling him that the Overtures just felt terrible, he put me in a pair of Electras though, they felt much better and even he then realised that they suit my feet way more (he straight up told me that he won't sell me RF3 Pros as he thinks they are to stiff).
We tried out different lengths and agreed on staying with 240 (even though my right foot is slightly cramped - in a 245 the right was swimming, I'm still amazed how 2 mm can make worlds of a difference). So now both boots get stretched a few mm in width and the right one in length as well (how the hell are they going to figure out the right width if they don't trace my feet ?!)

For the blade, I choose a CA. Only problem I just found out later is: they are sold out almost everywhere. Guy promised to email JW and just called me back that the approximate delivery period is about 8 - 12 weeks (they are having problems with the steel supply?).
First thought: should I just go with the MK Pro instead ???

I read the post about CA vs. Pro today and really think that the 'softer' rocker of the CA will be better for me as a beginner. Honestly, I'm almost crying - why is this so damn complicated? 😭😂

After excessive search online I found a shop which still has the CA in a 9 1/4.
I looked at the sizing chart for Risport by kinziescloset, but can't really understand it.... What is the difference between 'approx. blade size 1/3' and 'approx. blade size 1/4' ? For 1/3 a blade in size 9 would be good, but for 1/4 a blade in size 9 1/4 ?
( Right know I'm even considering to order the blade from Al's skate shop )

Would a CA in size 9 1/4 be right for a boot in 240?

I will call the shop tomorrow, but after the experience in Innsbruck, my trust issues in the European pro shops didn't really vanish...

What should I do / would you guys recommend ?:shrug:
WednesdayMarch is correct, you really need a 9 not 9&1/4, also, that shop guy is not so bright (to say it nicely) nor seemingly experienced with what he's dealing with. RF3 is NOT too stiff for you as an adult. Also, just get MK Pros, there's really not much of a difference in that and the CA.

Friday

Rinkside
WednesdayMarch is correct, you really need a 9 not 9&1/4, also, that shop guy is not so bright (to say it nicely) nor seemingly experienced with what he's dealing with. RF3 is NOT too stiff for you as an adult. Also, just get MK Pros, there's really not much of a difference in that and the CA.

Thanks for your answer as well!

that shop guy is not so bright (to say it nicely) nor seemingly experienced with what he's dealing with
I thought so too... I just hope everything works out with the boot stretching at least 😐
I realized it's really difficult to get proper fitted boots in Germany. Don't know if I will try out other shops when it's time for new boots eventually in a year or so...

Just out of curiosity: what does this approx. blade size 1/3 & 1/4 mean exactly?

Ic3Rabbit

Record Breaker
Country
Olympics
Thanks for your answer as well!

I thought so too... I just hope everything works out with the boot stretching at least 😐
I realized it's really difficult to get proper fitted boots in Germany. Don't know if I will try out other shops when it's time for new boots eventually in a year or so...

Just out of curiosity: what does this approx. blade size 1/3 & 1/4 mean exactly?
1/3= One third. 1/4-1 quarter. So if someone needs a size 8 & 1/4 inch blade they need one fourth aka one quarter more than 8inch.

Friday

Rinkside
Hi again,
after much hassle I want to thank you @Ic3Rabbit and @WednesdayMarch again for your help in finding my perfect boots! :thank:

Story: The shop in Innsbruck sent me my stretched boots and of course they were no where near the right width... (I'm still wondering how they wanted to do it without once properly measuring my feet:drama:). Funnily, the right one didn't even look like it had been stretched in width, but was only a tad bit longer and therefore felt even more narrow. I sent them back after bearing with the pain of wearing them for one hour. Needless to say, the outer sides of my feet were red and swollen after that.

I measured my feet and sent them the measurements in the hope they would stretch them right, but the only reply I got was that they offered to send me their 'skate fitting box' ( I think there was a talk about that in another post?) for free as I apparently didn't get the right boots... I was at their shop in person, I honestly can't see why it should have been better to measure my feet again and step into that foam thing. They got a look at my feet in their shop and couldn't figure out the right thing to do, so why should it be any different now?!:ROFLMAO:
Not to say, I had the chance to speak with a person who got their 'fitting box' and ended up with a boot too short... :slink:

I was really discouraged and decided to take a trip to another shop in Germany that I initially shied away from as it is more than 6 hours away - it was as mind blowing experience! The shop is run by former (artistic) figure skaters and they are super knowledgeable.
Shop guy took one look at my feet and told me that Edea definitely isn't for me. He also said that from his experience the Electra runs narrower than the RF3 (which I can confirm) because the 'Comfort Width' is something between a Risport B and C width. Like Ic3Rabbit, he told me that RF3 Pro would be the better boot for me (as Electra is a 'teeny boot' - his words).

I spent more than 3 hours at their shop and we discussed skates, my pronation and possible insoles (the guy in Innsbruck just told me that I wouldn't need insoles in the Risports and that I should have never used those Superfeet as the are: 'just for hockey players!' and shouldn't be used in figure skates).
He told me that I definitely should use insoles to support my arch and that he suspects that my splay foot stems from the weak arch - he even showed me a few additional exercises I can do for my feet! :jump:. Also they really don't try to sell you stuff that you don't need, because even though I didn't had my Superfeet with me this time, he said I should just try them out in the new boots and in case they don't work, we could still look for new insoles ^^

I had the opportunity to try out the RF3 Pro in 240 and 245. 240 was uncomfortable because I hadn't even realized that my big toe is in a really straight line with the rest of my foot and that doesn't suit with the form of the Risport toe box - 245 felt much better in that aspect.
BUT (and that's an awesome trick) because I wore the 240 on my longer right foot for an extended period of time first, once I tried on the 245 on that foot I realized that it actually is too big. Left foot felt like a perfect fit in 245 because I didn't wear 240 on that foot first, but with the right one my heel suddenly didn't feel secured anymore and I noticed that there was a lot of space between the top of my toes and the boot (apart from the fact that that the boot is a little bit to long).
It was such a weird feeling to have the exact same boot on both feet, feeling perfect in one and a bit like swimming in the other! :laugh:

So I decided to go with the 240 an had the boot widened (it took only 20 minutes, instead of 24 hours like in Innsbruck, I was so surprised😂) and heat molded and then widened again bc my right foot was still slightly cramped.

I didn't listen to you guys about the blades ( which was stupid, bc what would I have done if I needed a bigger sized boot? ) and ordered the blades from Al's Skate Shop. Just have to say that they are amazing - the lady at the phone even measured an Electra at the shop to be 100 % sure that the blades would be the right size. And I got the blades only 4 days after ordering them. :hap10:

My feet are so happy now, the boots feel heavenly and I'm in my dream boot + blade combo :yahoo:Now I just have to get on the ice again and hope that they feel that perfect while skating as well!:laugh:

Last edited:

Ic3Rabbit

Record Breaker
Country
Olympics
Hi again,
after much hassle I want to thank you @Ic3Rabbit and @WednesdayMarch again for your help in finding my perfect boots! :thank:

Story: The shop in Innsbruck sent me my stretched boots and of course they were no where near the right width... (I'm still wondering how they wanted to do it without once properly measuring my feet:drama:). Funnily, the right one didn't even look like it had been stretched in width, but was only a tad bit longer and therefore felt even more narrow. I sent them back after bearing with the pain of wearing them for one hour. Needless to say, the outer sides of my feet were red and swollen after that.

I measured my feet and sent them the measurements in the hope they would stretch them right, but the only reply I got was that they offered to send me their 'skate fitting box' ( I think there was a talk about that in another post?) for free as I apparently didn't get the right boots... I was at their shop in person, I honestly can't see why it should have been better to measure my feet again and step into that foam thing. They got a look at my feet in their shop and couldn't figure out the right thing to do, so why should it be any different now?!:ROFLMAO:
Not to say, I had the chance to speak with a person who got their 'fitting box' and ended up with a boot too short... :slink:

I was really discouraged and decided to take a trip to another shop in Germany that I initially shied away from as it is more than 6 hours away - it was as mind blowing experience! The shop is run by former (artistic) figure skaters and the are super knowledgeable.
Shop guy took one look at my feet and told me that Edea definitely isn't for me. He also said that from his experience the Electra runs narrower than the RF3 (which I can confirm) because the 'Comfort Width' is something between a Risport B and C width. Like Ic3Rabbit, he told me that RF3 Pro would be the better boot for me (as Electra is a 'teeny boot' - his words).

I spent more than 3 hours at their shop and we discussed skates, my pronation and possible insoles (the guy in Innsbruck just told me that I wouldn't need insoles in the Risports and that I should have never used those Superfeet as the are: 'just for hockey players!' and shouldn't be used in figure skates).
He told me that I definitely should use insoles to support my arch and that he suspects that my splay foot stems from the weak arch - he even showed me a few additional exercises I can do for my feet! :jump:. Also they really don't try to sell you stuff that you don't need, because even though I didn't had my Superfeet with me this time, he said I should just try them out in the new boots and in case they don't work, we could still look for new insoles ^^

I had the opportunity to try out the RF3 in 240 and 245. 240 was uncomfortable because I hadn't even realized that my big toe is in a really straight line with the rest of my foot and that doesn't suit with the form of the Risport toe box - 245 felt much better in that aspect.
BUT (and that's an awesome trick) because I wore the 240 on my longer right foot for an extended period of time first, once I tried on the 245 on that foot I realized that it actually is too big. Left foot felt like a perfect fit in 245 because I didn't wore 240 on that foot first, but with the right one my heel didn't feel secured suddenly and I noticed that there was a lot of space between the top of my toes and the boot (apart from the fact that that the boot is a little bit to long).
It was such a weird feeling to have the exact same boot on both feet, feel perfect in one and a bit like swimming in the other! :laugh:

So I decided to go with the 240 an had the boot widened (it took only 20 minutes, instead of 24 hours like in Innsbruck, I was so surprised😂) and heat molded and then widened again bc my right foot was still slightly cramped.

I didn't listen to you guys about the blades ( which was stupid, bc what would I have done if I needed a bigger sized boot? ) and ordered the blades from Al's Skate Shop. Just have to say that they are amazing - the lady at the phone even measured an Electra at the shop to be 100 % sure that the blades would be the right size. And I got the blades only 4 days after ordering them. :hap10:

My feet are so happy now, the boots feel heavenly and I'm in my dream boot + blade combo :yahoo:Now I just have to get on the ice again and hope that they feel that perfect while skating as well!:laugh:
Glad to hear all things seemingly worked out for you in Germany! I am just curious, did you get the Coronation Ace blade?

WednesdayMarch

Nicer When Fed
Medalist
Country
United-Kingdom
Hi again,

I was really discouraged and decided to take a trip to another shop in Germany that I initially shied away from as it is more than 6 hours away - it was as mind blowing experience! The shop is run by former (artistic) figure skaters and the are super knowledgeable.

I had the opportunity to try out the RF3 in 240 and 245. 240 was uncomfortable because I hadn't even realized that my big toe is in a really straight line with the rest of my foot and that doesn't suit with the form of the Risport toe box - 245 felt much better in that aspect.
BUT (and that's an awesome trick) because I wore the 240 on my longer right foot for an extended period of time first, once I tried on the 245 on that foot I realized that it actually is too big. Left foot felt like a perfect fit in 245 because I didn't wore 240 on that foot first, but with the right one my heel didn't feel secured suddenly and I noticed that there was a lot of space between the top of my toes and the boot (apart from the fact that that the boot is a little bit to long).
It was such a weird feeling to have the exact same boot on both feet, feel perfect in one and a bit like swimming in the other! :laugh:

This is great news! Thank you for the update and glad to have been of service.