Sergei Voronov | Page 9 | Golden Skate

Sergei Voronov

LRK

Record Breaker
So, I've been thinking about my Two Steps pick for Sergei...

(Yes? what? With Worlds over, the dark one is finding work for my idle mind, okay? what can I say? And in a rather predictable direction, I admit - but then, I've come to regard unpredictability as vastly overrated, anyway. ;) )

And I'm not sure yet, but I've been considering

Dark Harbour
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=a3mMSxt0HI4

Too dark/sinister? Thoughts?

On the other hand, it would give rather appropriate occasion for some dark pleather... Not... obviously... that that is a consideration, and in fact... I mean... Why did I even mention... ? :eek::

Er...

Ah....

Hm...

(looks around selfconsciously and... )

:slink:

(looks back in for a moment to say)

Not that I'm sure about this yet; I'll go on looking, but thought it would be fun if anyone had any thoughts about what direction I should move in.

(slinks off again)

silverfoxes

Record Breaker
I support any program that demands more pleather. :)

Sergei wrote a short message on his Instagram saying he was sorry he did not meet expectations in Shanghai. I'm a little worried about him skating at WTT, but I just hope he has fun there and doesn't overexert himself.

Sandpiper

Record Breaker
^Well, it looked like Sergei had something on his shirt and Javi was brushing it off. Can't blame the guy. I'm OCD about that stuff too. Can't keep quiet or still when someone has a loose thread/dust/something buttoned wrong/whatever.

Catlau

On the Ice
Sergei wrote a short message on his Instagram saying he was sorry he did not meet expectations in Shanghai.

Sergei seemed to be really disturbed by his FS at the world championship : apologizes whereas he had too much pressure and a painfull knee. :no:
I hope he will move on soon if it is not already done.

I'm a little worried about him skating at WTT, but I just hope he has fun there and doesn't overexert himself.

If his knee allows him to compete (the Russian federation is providing Pitkeev as substitute), I hope too he will have fun at WTT.

I admit I enjoy his style only since this season : he is really a great jumper (one of the greatest currently skating, in my opinion : the height of his jumps is impressive even at the end of a free skating), but I had problems to feel anything from his choregraphies before. His change of coaches has obviously allowed him to find his own style. And... that's great ! :cheer:

Interspectator

Record Breaker
Sergei seemed to be really disturbed by his FS at the world championship : apologizes whereas he had too much pressure and a painfull knee. :no:

If his knee allows him to compete (the Russian federation is providing Pitkeev as substitute), I hope too he will have fun at WTT.

I admit I enjoy his style only since this season : he is really a great jumper (one of the greatest currently skating, in my opinion : the height of his jumps is impressive even at the end of a free skating), but I had problems to feel anything from his choregraphies before. His change of coaches has obviously allowed him to find his own style. And... that's great ! :cheer:

First post! Congrats! Welcome and post often. :cheer2:

silverfoxes

Record Breaker

He is probably used to having injuries and bad luck, it's happened so many times...although I guess it never gets any easier.

In fact, he had to drop out of the last WTT due to a foot injury. I certainly hope this time goes much better.

I agree, his jumps are :love: I liked his programs last season too, but yeah...definitely he's come a long way with Eteri.

And welcome! :)

Catlau

On the Ice
I'm not sure if his hair is like that on purpose. :laugh: But I kind of like it?

:laugh: His hair is recurrently spiky, which makes him look like Tintin. I'd rather think his hair is unruly than it is on purpose. :biggrin:

Last edited:

LRK

Record Breaker
Ahum... (clears throat) I have an Announcement to make (yeah, every Announcement is going to fall rather flat after the Plushy bombshell... but am I going to let that stop me? - NO!!!;) )

So, I have continued my Two Steps Sergei Quest - yes, I know, you've all been tossing & turning, being unable to sleep o'nights, unable to eat o'days... but this excrutiating suspense is now at an end!!! Yes, after mulling over several possibilities (Special Unit, Realm of Power, Tristan), I think I now have.... "it"!

United We Stand, Divided We Fall
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=z0zdqeivGaU

So, what say you? :)

Also, I haven't seen his FP yet (funnily, I've spent more time reading about WTT, than actually watching it) - but I see he got a SB! Yay! Way to go at the last event of the season. It's a funny thing about that program - the first time I saw it... I was left completely baffled by it. But then, maybe the next - or the next? - I suddenly found myself... enjoying it. I still haven't the foggiest clue what is going on, but I've simply stopped worrying myself about such inconsequential trivialities, and now I just.... love it.:)

Sandpiper

Record Breaker
That was a wonderful LP from Sergei. In terms of sheer fun and enjoyment, it was the highlight of the men's event. That StSq was everything I wanted a StSq to be (so what if he doesn't have the intricate billion turns? It was fast, energetic, fitted perfectly with the music--such a rarity).

I'm still a bit worried about next year. While the performance was wonderful, his jumps seem to have weakened over the year. He took out what was an attempted second quad (which is smart, since he generally tripled it and the one he hit at Nationals was two-footed). I'm so proud of what he did this year, even with the glitch at Worlds, and it would be a shame if injuries/age finally caught up with him now. :hopelessness:

Also, I haven't seen his FP yet (funnily, I've spent more time reading about WTT, than actually watching it) - but I see he got a SB! Yay! Way to go at the last event of the season. It's a funny thing about that program - the first time I saw it... I was left completely baffled by it. But then, maybe the next - or the next? - I suddenly found myself... enjoying it. I still haven't the foggiest clue what is going on, but I've simply stopped worrying myself about such inconsequential trivialities, and now I just.... love it.:)
Same here. I found his programs strange and nonsensical at the start of the year, but now his LP is unadulterated joy.

silverfoxes

Record Breaker
Ahum... (clears throat) I have an Announcement to make (yeah, every Announcement is going to fall rather flat after the Plushy bombshell... but am I going to let that stop me? - NO!!!;) )

So, I have continued my Two Steps Sergei Quest - yes, I know, you've all been tossing & turning, being unable to sleep o'nights, unable to eat o'days... but this excrutiating suspense is now at an end!!! Yes, after mulling over several possibilities (Special Unit, Realm of Power, Tristan), I think I now have.... "it"!

United We Stand, Divided We Fall
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=z0zdqeivGaU

So, what say you? :)

Muahaha...another convert! I know the music cuts are strange, but from the beginning it reminded me of the crazy programs Adrian Schultheiss used to do (like that "Insane in the brain"/"Teardrop" mashup), and his showmanship quality really came out at the Finlandia Trophy, so I was sold pretty early. As for your selection, I haven't seen him do one of those "gladiator-y" programs, so it would be interesting. I could also see him with a straightforward rock program, though.

I have been thinking about where he can go from here. Realistically, he's never going to develop the skating skills of a Kozuka or Chan at this point in life...but Misha Ge improved his SS pretty significantly in one season, and he's not really a spring chicken, either. I'm not going to hold my breath to see a 4S from Sergei, either, but you never know. Hey, if Menshov can start doing 2-quad SPs at 31, then maybe he's just getting warmed up too.

So what else could he do to improve his score (other than skating 100% clean all the time, which is probably impossible)? Add 'tanos to all his jumps? ;)