Sergei Voronov | Page 26 | Golden Skate

Sergei Voronov

silverfoxes

Record Breaker
Interview:

http://tass.ru/sport/3823688

As far as I can understand with Google Translate, he says that he lives week to to week, doesn't think about the Olympics and lets the younger skaters worry about it...which, I suppose, is sensible given the disappointments he's had (denied 2 Olympics already). But I can't help but hope he will finally get his opportunity this time, if he can stay on the positive trajectory.

Alchamei

Record Breaker
I am so sad dor Sergei. :sad21: Too bad the only competition he had a meltdown was the most important one. :cry: Hope he can rebound and win a spot for the Olympics next year!

sallycinnamon

Medalist
He has been consistent and I am really sad, too that he couldn't skate in his best form during this long program. I hope he will fight for a place in the Olympics team. I wish him the very best!

Last edited:

Arriba627

TWO-TIME WORLD CHAMPION 🔥
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Oh no! Sorry to read the news that he finished 7th! He's a favorite of mine! :sad4:

silverfoxes

Record Breaker
I'm still a little in shock. After being so good all season, it just doesn't make sense for him to melt down like that. :confused: I don't want to bash Kovtun, but it just seems so unfair that he skated poorly all season but now gets to go to Euros, while Sergei was far more consistent. I hope he will at least go to some other competitions like the Russian Cup Final.

Some skaters just have the worst luck. I saw a joking comment somewhere recently about the "curse of Eteri," but maybe it wasn't a joke. :slink:

Sam-Skwantch

“I solemnly swear I’m up to no good”
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Oh :cry:

His FS at SA was a real highlight for me this season. It's really too bad he couldn't show that magic in his home country but in a sport of up and downs these things happen. He's still an inspiration :yes:

Last edited:

borzaya

Final Flight
I'm so sad for him, too :(

I hope that he would still compete somewhere this season yet.

Heleng

Medalist
Country
United-States
I was holding out slight hope that he might still get chosen for Europeans somehow.:noshake: Wonder why he isn't listed as an alternate. People have mentioned that he might go to the Russian Cup Final but I'm not familiar w that competition. How important is the cup final and could it lead to his being able to go to Worlds?

silverfoxes

Record Breaker
I was holding out slight hope that he might still get chosen for Europeans somehow.:noshake: Wonder why he isn't listed as an alternate. People have mentioned that he might go to the Russian Cup Final but I'm not familiar w that competition. How important is the cup final and could it lead to his being able to go to Worlds?

Yes, it's really odd to me that he couldn't even be considered as an alternate, yet Lazukin was? Just compare their track records...it's nonsense. I would say the chances are very slim for Sergei to go to Worlds, but perhaps in a scenario where Kovtun bombs again at Euros, and Samarin doesn't skate well, they might consider Sergei if he did very well at the final. Last season he went, and ended up finishing 2nd to Dmitriev, but he wasn't in such a good form then as he has been this season. Yulia went also hoping to qualify but she finished 2nd to Leonova, and neither of them made a strong enough case to replace any of the other ladies.

Before last season, I never paid attention to this competition, so I don't know if it's ever happened that someone ended up getting a spot from it. Maybe someone else knows more.

FS-Gossips translated a new interview with Inna Goncharenko where she talks about what happened w/Sergei. I really like what she has to say...I think she is a real advocate for him (and her other skaters too), unlike Eteri at the end of their relationship. I hope she can keep him motivated to keep fighting.

Heleng

Medalist
Country
United-States
Yes, it's really odd to me that he couldn't even be considered as an alternate, yet Lazukin was? Just compare their track records...it's nonsense. I would say the chances are very slim for Sergei to go to Worlds, but perhaps in a scenario where Kovtun bombs again at Euros, and Samarin doesn't skate well, they might consider Sergei if he did very well at the final. Last season he went, and ended up finishing 2nd to Dmitriev, but he wasn't in such a good form then as he has been this season. Yulia went also hoping to qualify but she finished 2nd to Leonova, and neither of them made a strong enough case to replace any of the other ladies.

Before last season, I never paid attention to this competition, so I don't know if it's ever happened that someone ended up getting a spot from it. Maybe someone else knows more.

FS-Gossips translated a new interview with Inna Goncharenko where she talks about what happened w/Sergei. I really like what she has to say...I think she is a real advocate for him (and her other skaters too), unlike Eteri at the end of their relationship. I hope she can keep him motivated to keep fighting.

Thank you for your helpful insights, silverfoxes, and for posting the article. I'm glad Sergei found such a supportive coach after what happened w Eteri. I really really hope that he keeps fighting and gives the federation no choice but to put him on the Olympic team next year.

vorravorra

Record Breaker
Apparently Sergei has confirmed his participation in the Russian Cup Final (lists of participants are not available yet).

Last edited:

silverfoxes

Record Breaker
That damn lutz! But he definitely deserved to get highest PCS - Samarin still looks so rough to me. Well, it's not over til it's over.

LadyB

Record Breaker
Well then, third overall. I'm a little bit sad, but I haven't seen the FS yet. I very much hope he's still around next season.