Shoma Uno | Page 1141 | Golden Skate

Shoma Uno

rabidline

Final Flight
I didn't have a Sholero comeback in my 2024 Bingo Card but I really loved it...

Shoma did debut the first ever Bolero in the same ice show back in 2021 and I think it's a great way to go full circle by bringing it back and skating it LIKE THAT. His quality of movement has improved even more, even through the video you can see every single detail and it's really great. The details of his hands, his shoulders and back, and his arms!!! I especially love the way his back undulates throughout, I think the programs he had this season influenced that (Come Together especially) and it adds another dimension to Bolero that wasn't yet there before. And the arms.... his arm during the long cantilever was truly glorious- loved that. The arms were arming the whole program, I loved it so much.

Recently I noticed that Shoma's been a more conscious performer in the choices he made on his skating to express more of himself, and it's so cool to see it continue to grow and improve with each skate he does with that approach. Not that he wasn't aware or conscious of it before, but now it has matured and he has found a way to harness it to fit his purpose and intention. The bad music cut between the first half and the step sequence is funny, but I thought it makes perfect sense with Shoma's vision to really express this program the best he can. He's really at his best right now, we're so lucky.

Ah also I posted the Bolero video on Tumblr, to those who don't have X / Twitter and want to watch the full thing:

Last edited:

Arriba627

TWO-TIME WORLD CHAMPION 🔥
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Finally! the announcement for The Ice is posted. I was beginning to wonder if it was going to happen. Here is the link to the cast. Looks like quite a stellar group! July 20 & 21--Aichi, July 27-28--Tokyo.

Arriba627

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
I have been enjoying reading all the overwhelmingly positive comments people are posting about Sho's Bolero. Although people seem to enjoy Come Together, there have been SO many comments about Bolero! Here is a small sample:

--Shoma's Bolero made me cry. The moment he came out and I saw the costume, I started tearing up. It was the perfect moment.

--Bolero is evolving more and more. His skating is beautiful and expressive and performed with the whole body. I'm so excited!

--Shoma's performance is so refined, down to the finest detail, even down to his fingertips, so that it brought tears to my eyes.

--5 clean jumps, the twizzles, the steps, the choreography, from the back to the tips of the fingers. What power! What awesomeness and beauty!

--Shoma's Bolero was amazingly fast and full of spirit. His jumps were fast but well controlled. In the final choreo, he had a gentle smile, just like in the World Championships 2022.

--It was clear that Shoma was in a class of his own. You have to see it live!

--This was a Bolero that I can't express in words! It seemed to me that Shoma had transcended everything and was in a completely different world. His expression is one of a kind, no one can imitate it.

One person wrote that when he finished, there was such a loud "clunk" noise when everyone stood up at the same time for a standing ovation and all the seats made a noise in unison! LOL.

What will always be my favorite Bolero moment -- being there to witness the little smile and shake of his head he gave at the end of his Worlds 2022 performance, the one that said, "Yes, I'm sure I've done enough." A gold medal moment to cherish.

Last edited:

Arriba627

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Adding: (regarding the Ice). I thought I was seeing things, but it is all male skaters except for 2 ice dance teams and 1 pair team. Sounds like they are trying a new concept, including a drumming group. I think it sounds really cool.

• cast-thumb-kodo.jpg

Taiko performing arts group Kodo​

Kodo
    A group that finds infinite possibilities in traditional musical performing arts centered on taiko drums and attempts to recreate them for the modern age. In 1981, he made his debut at the Berlin Festival. Since then, he has performed more than 7,000 times in more than 50 countries and regions around the world.
The Ice 2024 Casting
Every year, year after year, the situation with the casting of The Ice changes. The retirement of players, the rise of new talent, etc. Year after year, year after year, we spend a lot of time conceptualizing and negotiating casting.

This year's The Ice, as you may have noticed, is missing Nathan Mr./Ms. Chen. Due to inconvenience, I was not able to perform. It is very unfortunate that Nei Mr./Ms., who has been a central figure in The Ice in recent years, is absent, but at the same time, I would like to support Nei Mr./Ms. for his further success in the future. And I hope that one day I will come back to The Ice. In addition to Nathan Mr./Ms., there are several other skaters who have been popular in The Ice so far but did not make it to the show this year. There are many twists and turns before the performers of the ice show are decided (tears).

In the midst of all this, I took a gamble this year. We decided to cast only boys for single skaters. We have carefully selected the "lively" male skaters from literally around the world. In addition, new projects such as a powerful collaboration with the world-class Japanese drum group "Kodo" and the introduction of an ice navigator will inject an increased amount of excitement.

There will be criticisms of these attempts. However, in addition to everyone who has loved The Ice so far, we hope that people who have never been to an ice show, who have not been to an ice show in recent years, and who have never experienced The Ice will also enjoy it, and The Ice will evolve.

Let's have a blast together at the venue. (In particular, the Tokyo concert is a state-of-the-art arena that has just been built.) It's a luxurious space that makes you feel excited just by stepping into the venue! Let's experience it together! Many discoveries, passionate joys, and deep impressions.

From the organizers of The Ice 2024

rabidline

Final Flight
It's definitely a new direction alright! I'm not surprised with the change of casting but I didn't expect them to go on such an extreme route. Well, it's done, I suppose we'll just have to wait until July.

Most importantly, I'm intrigued by the collaboration with Kodo.... I have wished for Shoma to skate to Japanese traditional music for some time, and the possibility of him skating to Taiko is just so exciting, I'm trying to be realistic and keep my hopes down 😂

Unfortunately I already scheduled my trip to Tokyo in August for Friends on Ice, because the price for those cheaper seats for The ICE isn't that bad at all. And it's near Disneyland too...

demarinis5

Gold for the Winter Prince!
Record Breaker
No Nathan and no Boyang sorry to hear that. Hmmm an all male concept will be interesting but then again The Ice in the past has always been about the Men.

yuumagical

"There is always something to love."
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
It's definitely a new direction alright! I'm not surprised with the change of casting but I didn't expect them to go on such an extreme route. Well, it's done, I suppose we'll just have to wait until July.

Most importantly, I'm intrigued by the collaboration with Kodo.... I have wished for Shoma to skate to Japanese traditional music for some time, and the possibility of him skating to Taiko is just so exciting, I'm trying to be realistic and keep my hopes down 😂
Count me in as being intrigued by both the new members of the cast and the use of the Kodo taiko group! I actually went to see Kodo perform once when they came to my home city and I enjoyed it! There were performers in the group as well as drummers, and the thing I remember the most about their performance was seeing the performers wearing a long dragon costume (similar to what you'd see at a Chinese lion dance, but longer) and dancing to the beat of the drums. (I also recall being disappointed that they didn't have CDs of their music for sale...I hope they rectify this at The Ice.) I'm curious about whether performers will be involved for the ice show or if it will simply be drumming. Either way, I think it will be worth watching. 😁

As someone who enjoys the men's discipline the most, I've gotta say it's really tempting to find out how to buy tickets for The Ice...😂

16Olympics

On the Ice
I have been enjoying reading all the overwhelmingly positive comments people are posting about Sho's Bolero. Although people seem to enjoy Come Together, there have been SO many comments about Bolero! Here is a small sample:

--Shoma's Bolero made me cry. The moment he came out and I saw the costume, I started tearing up. It was the perfect moment.

--Bolero is evolving more and more. His skating is beautiful and expressive and performed with the whole body. I'm so excited!

--Shoma's performance is so refined, down to the finest detail, even down to his fingertips, so that it brought tears to my eyes.

--5 clean jumps, the twizzles, the steps, the choreography, from the back to the tips of the fingers. What power! What awesomeness and beauty!

--Shoma's Bolero was amazingly fast and full of spirit. His jumps were fast but well controlled. In the final choreo, he had a gentle smile, just like in the World Championships 2022.

--It was clear that Shoma was in a class of his own. You have to see it live!

--This was a Bolero that I can't express in words! It seemed to me that Shoma had transcended everything and was in a completely different world. His expression is one of a kind, no one can imitate it.

One person wrote that when he finished, there was such a loud "clunk" noise when everyone stood up at the same time for a standing ovation and all the seats made a noise in unison! LOL.

What will always be my favorite Bolero moment -- being there to witness the little smile and shake of his head he gave at the end of his Worlds 2022 performance, the one that said, "Yes, I'm sure I've done enough." A gold medal moment to cherish.

I just loved Bolero and in my opinion, we didn't see it enough. The music made it as it was so different from all the other Bolero's. That blue costume is so reminiscent of DOMO but I guess the black one was in the wash.

yuumagical

"There is always something to love."
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
I just loved Bolero and in my opinion, we didn't see it enough. The music made it as it was so different from all the other Bolero's. That blue costume is so reminiscent of DOMO but I guess the black one was in the wash.
As I mentioned earlier about the black costume, the right shoulder appeared to be scuffed when I saw it up close in Montreal. Upon looking more closely at my photos of it, I discovered that the scuffing extended down the right side to the torso and waist area. I have no idea how it could have gotten so damaged, but my best guess is that Shoma was probably Sholeroing too hard. 🤣 The black costume was a worthy sacrifice for the sake of figure skating history... 🫡

I too love Shoma's interpretation of Bolero, especially that step sequence! 🔥🔥🔥

But to be a bit more particular here, the DOMO costume (which I also saw in Montreal) is a single shade of blue, while the blue Bolero costume (seen in Montpellier) is actually two different shades of blue (one of them being more of a blue-green)! I cannot stress this enough for any fan artists out there!

rabidline

Final Flight
I really love the blue Bolero shade, so thanks for the information @yuumagical ! It's so rich and regal but the design makes it look modern and it's flattering on Shoma's body too. And the gold embroidery that extends to the pants is also so, so nice. I love the more ornate, fantastical costumes of Japanese designers, but I thought Mathieu Caron's more modern design fits the more contemporary remix of Bolero.

And yes the music is pretty unique, and the embellishments helped make it a more well rounded program music IMO.

16Olympics

On the Ice
As I mentioned earlier about the black costume, the right shoulder appeared to be scuffed when I saw it up close in Montreal. Upon looking more closely at my photos of it, I discovered that the scuffing extended down the right side to the torso and waist area. I have no idea how it could have gotten so damaged, but my best guess is that Shoma was probably Sholeroing too hard. 🤣 The black costume was a worthy sacrifice for the sake of figure skating history... 🫡

I too love Shoma's interpretation of Bolero, especially that step sequence! 🔥🔥🔥

But to be a bit more particular here, the DOMO costume (which I also saw in Montreal) is a single shade of blue, while the blue Bolero costume (seen in Montpellier) is actually two different shades of blue (one of them being more of a blue-green)! I cannot stress this enough for any fan artists out there!
I now remember that you said the black costume was on display in Montreal but did not know it looked like it was damaged! He could wear anything, really, as long as we get to see the new, enhanced Bolero. Pretty genius of him to bring that back.