Shoma Uno | Page 696 | Golden Skate

Shoma Uno

Dreamer57

Record Breaker
I admire his thinking, but I find it hard to believe that JSF would allow such a decision to happen :scratch2:
I hope Shoma makes the best decision and thinks of his health too.

Translation of the tweet:

Hello, this is Itsuki.
When I got back from the national team training camp, Shoma was sleeping in his room next door, which had been empty all this time. I'm happy to see him again.
I'm going to play games with Shoma and relax for a few days.
There was new equipment in the gym room! It's perfect for us given how exhausted we are!

Wait, does this mean that Itsuki is training for a national team as well?
It's nice to see a new update from him :)

lariko

Medalist
Country
Canada
I agree. I posted that because I think Tat's comments are always interesting, but I want to scream HOLD ON A MINUTE! I'm sure everyone wants to claim him, but he said he would be going to more than one training camp. And I continue to firmly believe he will do a camp with Raf, and I'm not changing that opinion. :curse: :gaah:

Well, she said ‘if that decision was made’... though, yeah, her bit sounded like she was sure otherwise that Uno is staying with Tuberidze.

rabidline

Final Flight
Well he certainly is taking control of his skating career. His latest statement makes me wonder whether he will do the GP circuit this season.
He has been going full steam for a number of years he certainly deserves a break. He still can do Nationals and contend for the World Team.
We shall see how it all plays out. I am just going to go along for the ride and say GO SHOMA!!!! :cheer:

I'm also along for the ride! I don't know but Shoma sounds pretty calm to me. And agree with you demarini5, he definitely deserves a break. I don't think he'll take it but he's been at it full steam for a while now.

Yawning_shoma has a longer translation of the quotes from Chunichi Shinbun article here (if anyone more knowledgeable in Japanese wants to add and/or correct anything, please do):

https://twitter.com/yawning_shoma/status/1138116776867221505

OniBan

Final Flight
Breaking the thread du jour a bit with shoulder shimmy Shoma:
https://twitter.com/ferropapilio/status/1138059432972017664

I can't stop watching it, IT'S TOO CUTE.

Aah Shoma. That face and awkwardly cute shimmy makes one forget all the chaos unleashed in the span of a week...

...until the next time he dropped another chaos bomb 😂 I'm all in for the ride too no matter what! Take us to the abyss and back, Shoma - I'll still be here, tied fast to the fandom for life 😂😂

Arriba627

TWO-TIME WORLD CHAMPION 🔥
Record Breaker
Country
United-States

lariko

Medalist
Country
Canada
11. What is your favorite Shoma quote?

It is a toss-up between Uno commenting something along the lines of ‘you can go for it, or not go for it, the important thing is that it’s you who gets to decide’ & his more recent comment (perhaps a mistranslation or a common Japanese expression, because it sounds poetic?) that this 4th place finish after saying he could win the world’s was like a ‘tick in the heart’. To me the last one sounds like he uses a simile with a borrowing insect, tick & I thought it was quite precise.

Imov

Medalist
Looks like shoma and itsuki love the ice.
As for Eteri I have to wait for what happens on the next six weeks.
I only want the best for Shoma. He deserves a redemptive season.

lariko

Medalist
Country
Canada
Looks like shoma and itsuki love the ice.
As for Eteri I have to wait for what happens on the next six weeks.
I only want the best for Shoma. He deserves a redemptive season.

I think it cuts both ways, because the entire fandom knows what Uno is before going to Tuberidze. Short of Uno landing one of these incredible jumps he was talking about or trying publicly after Worlds, to keep the legend of starmaker going, she needs to put him on the podium. Russians respect titanic order, but they prize zeal and passionate heart above anything else.

I want to know what happens!

Bcath

On the Ice
Is it possible that Shoma plans to use this year’s exhibition programs for next season’s competitions? He did say the short would be choreo by Shane Lynn and the long by David Wilson, precisely the choreographers for current exhibition programs. It would make some sense during this big transition years.

rabidline

Final Flight
Is it possible that Shoma plans to use this year’s exhibition programs for next season’s competitions? He did say the short would be choreo by Shane Lynn and the long by David Wilson, precisely the choreographers for current exhibition programs. It would make some sense during this big transition years.

This is an interesting question!

We'll have to wait and see, but I've thought about Shoma turning Time After Time to a competitive program even before he announced David Wilson will do his FS (I noticed that its length is actually around 4 minutes), but I'm not sure whether its best qualities can be highlighted under normal lighting as opposed to gala lighting. It's a very stylish program and I thought the atmosphere in ice shows/gala really adds to its subtle, "dimmed lights" impact, but in competitive atmosphere it may be a different case.

As for Great Spirit... my personal opinion is turning it into a SP won't be an ideal move. Great Spirit is a great EX program to be performed in Japan and Korea where both the crowds there love it, but I do think Shoma doesn't skate it in North American countries for a reason.

I do wonder if Shae-Lynn will make a similar uptempo hard-hitting program for Shoma's SP, because it does need a lot of energy from him, and that's before adding the quads. I think Great Spirit makes Shoma move in a different way, almost counter-intuitive to his flow and yet he makes it work (watching the latest Great Spirit at ATS and seeing how far it has come from NHK Cup is really fun) so it's going to be interesting to see which direction both choreographers will go for competitive programs.

lariko

Medalist
Country
Canada
Wow, you are right, i want this version of GS as first thing I see when I get up in the morning, lol. Life’s better for it, and it was awesome before.