Should ISU introduce mandatory costumes? | Page 3 | Golden Skate

Should ISU introduce mandatory costumes?

LiamForeman

William/Uilyam
Medalist
Figure skating: The only sport where you see plunging necklines, garish makeup, and more glittery sequins that could blind anyone who dares to watch! And then we should talk about the ladies!

I used to follow Miss America since the 70s because I lived ten minutes from Atlantic City. It's the same dilemma. But what wins is not the dress but the quality of the person wearing it.

I love to see different styles. It gives you an idea of who the person is. I'd go simple and basic. But if someone has a fiery artistic core I'd like to see what they'd come up with every year.

It would be like mandating that skaters compete to the same music every year.

Let the kids have their fun, says this old fuddy duddy.

yesterday

Record Breaker
It would be like mandating that skaters compete to the same music every year.
That's a bit cheap.

Music is reflected in CO and PE to a certain extent as timing, choreo etc are judged and to judge this it needs music/rhythm. Fabric is not reflected in what judges do (should not be?).

theblade

On the Ice
We love fashion in this house. Don't want to see training clothes where costumes create a certain amount of interest and luxe to the event.

As others have observed, cost is an issue. I do my kid's costumes and am all about fit, construction and fabric over bling. I hate applying rhinestones; when I put them on they are pooled in E600 around the sides so that they may re-enter earth's atmosphere without falling off onto the ice (a rhinestone back may flake off; if you have glue on the bottom sides of a stone it will have a better chance of staying on).

My kid's coaches want lots of bling, however. This year, I pretty much defied them on that one (absolutely minimal bling, to their dismay). That being said, my choice of fabric and cut of the costumes registered well on both camera and video. Did not have a negative impact in competition results.

Will not be able to defy the coaches next year, though. Judges expect serious costumes as well - whatever that means.

skatesofgold

On the Ice
Country
United-States
I don't think there should be mandatory costumes at all, but I've always wondered what if in the team event each member had matching costumes like in the team event for gymnastics.

labgoat

Working on Costumes contest & REWATCHES
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
This was unofficially tried in the men's evens during the Scott Hamilton era 1980-1984 when Scott decided to dress like a speed skater and everyone else seemed to follow suit. Scott also was against sequins. Anyone remember liking the outfits during that era? I used to think some of the Europeans such as Rudi Cerne had a more artistic look.

Here is a link to an event held in Finland from that era.

labgoat

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
I don't think there should be mandatory costumes at all, but I've always wondered what if in the team event each member had matching costumes like in the team event for gymnastics.
more luggage for the skaters
what happens if one team members luggage is lost, are deductions applied, do members have to swap clothes real quick...

Last edited:

skatesofgold

On the Ice
Country
United-States
what happens if one team members luggage is lost, are deductions applied, do members have to swap clothes real quick...
It was just a thought, and it's not like gymnasts don't have a risk of losing their luggage. I have to assume any athlete does.

WednesdayMarch

Nicer When Fed
Medalist
Country
United-Kingdom
Thanks a lot for your insights! I imagine flexibility of the material has to be a big bonus on professionally made sports costumes, but I may be mistaken. There are people who are able to contort their bodies into complex spins while wearing normal clothes, so what do I know!
These days anybody can buy sports fabrics, they're really not difficult to get hold of. (Whether people enjoy sewing them, however, is a whole 'nuther animal!) When you see skaters performing in denim jeans, the elastane content in many jeans these days makes that possible. And of course there are 4-way stretch fabrics that are designed to look like denim.

WednesdayMarch

Nicer When Fed
Medalist
Country
United-Kingdom
Having been in the same hotel as many of the skaters in the recent MK John Wilson Trophy, I can say that they don't travel light anyway! I watched one ice dance couple have to play Tetris as they attempted to cram their luggage into a very large SUV. As a musician who only ever travelled with hand luggage plus harp when going on tour, I was amazed.

Sai Bon

Final Flight
Country
New-Zealand
Having been in the same hotel as many of the skaters in the recent MK John Wilson Trophy, I can say that they don't travel light anyway! I watched one ice dance couple have to play Tetris as they attempted to cram their luggage into a very large SUV. As a musician who only ever travelled with hand luggage plus harp when going on tour, I was amazed.
You are a former pro skater, professional dressmaker, and play the harp? Amazing! So many talented people on Golden Skate!

TontoK

Hot Tonto
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
I detest the emphasis on fashion, hair and makeup in figure skating competitions.

People wonder why figure skating isn't taken seriously as a sport, and then in the next breath they're prattling on about rhinestones and eye shadow.

Save that garbage for the Gala exhibitions. I don't watch those, so it won't bother me.

el henry

Go have some cake. And come back with jollity.
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Figure skaters could go out there in sweats and helmets. My fellow Eagles enthusiasts from the 700 section of the Vet still wouldn't give a hoot about figure skating because they don't care about people on ice skating to music. Figure skating can "butch up" and "dress down" from now until the cows come home and it won't change their minds. :shrug:

Of course, fans can prefer what they prefer, what pleases someone to watch is what pleases them to watch. Personally, for me, taking the costumes away removes part of what makes figure skating such a wonderful sport.

I do remember Scott Hamilton and his speed suits. (I don't remember the team comp, though). As far as I know, didn't change anyone's mind then, won't change anyone's mind now. :)

labgoat

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
As the rules stand right now, you could do as Scott did and dress in athletic garb or wear a more artistic outfit. There are no points given or subtracted either way unless a piece of your costume falls off or fails. I’d hate to curb anyones participation over this and certainly not lose any more fan base over it. If your approach was as a performance a costume would be appreciated by this audience member as would a strictly athletic performance in regular athletic wear. if I were a judge, heaven’s no, i would rate each performance based on skating.

radkat

Rinkside
I detest the emphasis on fashion, hair and makeup in figure skating competitions.

People wonder why figure skating isn't taken seriously as a sport, and then in the next breath they're prattling on about rhinestones and eye shadow.

Save that garbage for the Gala exhibitions. I don't watch those, so it won't bother me.
I think this comment illustrates really well why convos about costuming in skating are so hard to have - it devolves into just blatant, unthinking misogyny very fast.

'This sport isn't taken seriously because of its association with women/gay men but it's actually women/gay men's fault for having the audacity to talk about worthless feminine garbage like eyeshadow in the first place'

WednesdayMarch

Nicer When Fed
Medalist
Country
United-Kingdom
You are a former pro skater, professional dressmaker, and play the harp? Amazing! So many talented people on Golden Skate!
I had a catastrophic accident in my early 30s, so had to find other career paths. There have been many. Qualifying as a tailor and learning to play the harp are the ones of which I am most proud. Although my mother says, "Well, you never stuck at anything," I've had rather a nice life. :laugh:

lariko

Medalist
Country
Canada
As the rules stand right now, you could do as Scott did and dress in athletic garb or wear a more artistic outfit. There are no points given or subtracted either way unless a piece of your costume falls off or fails. I’d hate to curb anyones participation over this and certainly not lose any more fan base over it. If your approach was as a performance a costume would be appreciated by this audience member as would a strictly athletic performance in regular athletic wear. if I were a judge, heaven’s no, i would rate each performance based on skating.
Actually, wasn’t Shmuratko almost docked a point for skating in training gear last worlds? Which was what the rules said, but common sense/decency prevailed?

Tbh, with figure skating scores being all about bias, I don’t believe that a woman who would step out to compete in training gear will be judged fairly next to the costumed counterparts. The attraction of a pretty outfit is undeniable, it’s just happens not to be the healthiest option. Maybe one day there will come a breakthrough female skater who would wear plain shirt and pants and wins everything like Chen. I live for that day.

Last edited:

DancingCactus

Final Flight
Chen was boring to look at, though. But the dullness of his costumes reflected the dullness of his coreography, so I guess it fit. :devil:
I'm here for the whole package and that includes the costumes. A good costume enhances a preformance, a bad one detracts from it, an average one is just there and gossipping about them is fun. When I watch football, I also comment on the players' choices of hairstyle and tattooes; their style reflects their personality, after all.

yume

🍉
Record Breaker
Hanyu's costume reveal was a show itself. Those 5 seconds when he was removing his jacket and the public going crazy was so fun to watch.
I prefer much simpler costumes for men but Hanyu's often over the top costumes are part of his personality and i think only him could rock them. Even if it isn't my taste i can say that some of his costumes are really well made.
Uno also has very figure skating costumes, even if not as exuberant as Hanyu's.

TontoK

Hot Tonto
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
I think this comment illustrates really well why convos about costuming in skating are so hard to have - it devolves into just blatant, unthinking misogyny very fast.

'This sport isn't taken seriously because of its association with women/gay men but it's actually women/gay men's fault for having the audacity to talk about worthless feminine garbage like eyeshadow in the first place'

I ask that you delete this. You have mischaracterized my comments.

My complaints are about the focus on nonessential nonathletic elements of the sport, and they are legitimate and made in good faith, whether you agree with my stance or not.

Last edited: