Skate America returns to Chicago | Page 2 | Golden Skate

Skate America returns to Chicago

w4300

Rinkside
That's kinda the nature of Chicago suburbs. You will likely find it is about the same.

I would bet that there have been no changes. The arena is in an area that is mostly office buildings and only busy 9-5 on weekdays. It's pretty empty in there during the weekend.

Arriba627

TWO-TIME WORLD CHAMPION 🔥
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Isn't it Gracie and Jason's hometown? If they are assigned to the GP, that would be awesome, but this is highly likely to be Ashley's turn though.

Gracie & Jason both have ties. Jason's family lives in Highland Park which is nearby. I am so happy!!!!

Arriba627

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
I wonder if they are trying to drum up interest for Chicago to eventually host Nationals. This is essentially 3 years in a row (Milwaukee is only 90 minutes away, plus Synchro Nationals is at Rockford next year) for an area that had been previously void of high level skating competition for many decades.

The Blackhawks are building a new practice facility containing two rinks a couple of blocks from the United Center that would be a great situation for Nationals. I think that's scheduled to open in late 2017.

I would be SO happy if they would hold Nationals in my area (Chicago). My understanding is that it would be too difficult to get the necessary volunteers recruited for the United Center. U. of Illinois nearby rink would be a good practice facility. But when all is said and done, I think the location of the United Center is a deal breaker.

Last edited:

Arriba627

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
I would bet that there have been no changes. The arena is in an area that is mostly office buildings and only busy 9-5 on weekdays. It's pretty empty in there during the weekend.

This is correct. Sears Center is (still) in the middle of nowhere. Pretty tough without a car.

jenaj

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
I wonder if they are trying to drum up interest for Chicago to eventually host Nationals. This is essentially 3 years in a row (Milwaukee is only 90 minutes away, plus Synchro Nationals is at Rockford next year) for an area that had been previously void of high level skating competition for many decades.

The Blackhawks are building a new practice facility containing two rinks a couple of blocks from the United Center that would be a great situation for Nationals. I think that's scheduled to open in late 2017.

I think it has more to do with the closeness of a big international airport and a large potential audience. But Nationals in Chicago would be awesome!

Arriba627

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Lou Malnati's here! :love: It's been a while since I've had any though...

Also Italian Beef sandwiches.

And Jibartos.

I'm hungry now.

Love Lou's and Portillo's for Italian beef. Have never been to Jibarito's. That looks and sounds great!

Mrs. P

Uno, Dos, twizzle!
Record Breaker
Love Lou's and Portillo's for Italian beef. Have never been to Jibarito's. That looks and sounds great!

It's SOOOO good. So bad for you though. Definitely not something to eat if you're dieting.

The famous joint for it, Borinquen Restaurant, used to be in Humboldt Park -- which was convenient cause I worked for a social service agency in the neighborhood when I lived in Chicago back in 2005. But I guess it moved north near Avondale area...

Arriba627

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
It's SOOOO good. So bad for you though. Definitely not something to eat if you're dieting.

The famous joint for it, Borinquen Restaurant, used to be in Humboldt Park -- which was convenient cause I worked for a social service agency in the neighborhood when I lived in Chicago back in 2005. But I guess it moved north near Avondale area...

Definitely looks like it's worth finding. Diabetic nightmare - carb overload here I come! :eeking:

Giordano's, Lou Malnati's, Nancy's - which is your favorite? :luv17:
I've only been to Lou Malnati and the pizza was huge and delicious, the crust was fantastic. Are the others better?
Sorry for off topic :give-up:

Arriba627

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
I've only been to Lou Malnati and the pizza was huge and delicious, the crust was fantastic. Are the others better?
Sorry for off topic :give-up:

I love Lou's and Giordano's is a close second...This is on topic. What to eat when you come to Skate America.:laugh:

I love Lou's and Giordano's is a close second...This is on topic. What to eat when you come to Skate America.:laugh:
If it's on topic may I ask whether I should try hot dog there? I've heard a lot about Chicago hotdog but I say to myself it's just hot dog. So is it that good?

Arriba627

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
If it's on topic may I ask whether I should try hot dog there? I've heard a lot about Chicago hotdog but I say to myself it's just hot dog. So is it that good?

I've always thought they make a big fuss about the hot dogs, and I'm not so sure they're that great. Maybe just a matter of personal taste. Now the Italian beef, ohhh that's good. So if you go to Portillo's, you can try both - altho Portillo's is known for their beef sandwiches.

w4300

Rinkside
I've always thought they make a big fuss about the hot dogs, and I'm not so sure they're that great. Maybe just a matter of personal taste. Now the Italian beef, ohhh that's good. So if you go to Portillo's, you can try both - altho Portillo's is known for their beef sandwiches.

and THE BEST chocolate cake I have ever eaten!

Arriba627

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
and THE BEST chocolate cake I have ever eaten!

Me too! And the chocolate cake recipe is a family secret that belongs to Mr. Portillo's daughter if I'm not mistaken. The chocolate eclair cake is to die for too...My humblest apologies for getting so carried away on the food! :scratch2:

ozmodiar

On the Ice

The Chicago-style dog is about the blend and balance of ingredients (crunchy/sour/salty/sweet/etc). The first time I had one I found it a little odd, but now I prefer them the Chicago way. In the end though, it's still just a hot dog.

If you want to try one, you might as well go for it. From what I gather, it's very difficult to find a true Chicago dog outside the Chicago area.