Skaters I Have Great Hopes For, But.... | Page 2 | Golden Skate

Skaters I Have Great Hopes For, But....

Verbalgirl77

On the Ice
Anyone remember Lisa Ervin, national silver medallist in '93? When I first saw her in 92, I was blown away by the incredible talent of this 14-year-old; 3 years later she wasn't even skating anymore. THAT one broke my heart...

I loved Lisa too. She had such mature presentation, you never would have believed how young she was.

berthes ghost

Final Flight
an Olympic champion should do better than 3rd at Nats

In real life, she took the silver medal.

Even TT went around saying that Sasha was second, so I guess you're in good company. :laugh:

Ogre Mage

On the Ice
JonnyCoop said:
I'm not sure as I completely agree with that. Yeah, she lost some ground in the jump department, and logically an Olympic champion should do better than 3rd at Nats and 6th at Worlds -- but from a style/choreography standpoint, I saw a lot of really exciting, interesting stuff in her programs that I had not seen previously. Plus bear in mind, she did have a lot of distractions and an injury that cut into her training time.
Hughes had a solid skate at Nationals, finishing 2nd, but personally I didn't like her program at all. She just seemed out of sync with the choreography and not comfortable with it. At Worlds, I saw more unity in her movements but her jumps abandoned her. She also finished dead last in a field of 8 in the final event of the season. Her flutz and cheated jumps, which I previously had a hard time noticing, became very bad and obvious that season.

Her heart just wasn't in it in 2003 and she has gone on record as saying that she didn't enjoy that season. I think she was looking forward to school, a more normal life and was not motivated to skate.

berthes ghost

Final Flight
Her LP was kinda interesting, but her SP has to be the most overchoreographed SP ever IMHO. Just chock full of victorian brik-a-brak that has nothing to do with actual skating. So busy, it made me dizzy.

Evdokia

On the Ice
Karolina KOSTNER: I love her too, beautiful basic skating, but her jumps seem to be more problematic this season. (Maybe a growth spurt or something which she can master soon?)

Vika VOLCHKOVA: she has so much potential and it looked like she became more consistent with Vasiliew, but then she changed coaches again and now she finally returned to Kudriavtzev ... I hope it will work out for her, however I get the feeling that she's running away and running away again by switching all those coaches instead of solving the problem she might have with herself. (IMO she rather needed a good psychologist than a new coach.)

Alexander SHUBIN: very elegent and musical and even the jumps are there if he's in shape. - It's such a pitty that he couldn't skate at RN this year, actually I can't understand why Russian Fed didn't send him to Worlds last season. However, there is a possibility that Russia might have only two spots for Euros & Worlds next year and I fear that in this case he'll be left out again. :rolleye:

LANG/TCHERNISHEV: They looked so promising in 2002 but now they have to sit out another season. - Just a very bad thing in ice dancing.

WINKLER/LOHSE: very talented and some unique programes, but unfortunately they had a lot of bad luck on their way. I still hope they'll be in great shape for Worlds, but coming back from injury won't make things easier for them. :(

guinevere

Final Flight
Skaters I have had high hopes for that didn't pan out:

Angela - soooooo close in 2001! Just heartbreaking ever since.

Naomi Nari Nam

Sasha Abt - I include him just because the few times I have seen him skate to his potential he has not been rewarded as much as he should have been (Euros 2002, anyone?), and times when there has been a lot of excitement and expectation, he has faltered. I'm so sad he has retired :(

Langlois/Archetto

Matt Savoie - I still have hopes for him, hope he heals and comes back fighting!

There was a Ukranian lady skater I saw maybe 3-4 years ago on tv, I don't remember her name, but I was super impressed with her. It was some GP event, and she did extremely well in the SP (2nd I think?), and then just bombed in the LP. She had a beautiful soft style, I was hoping that I would see more of her and I never did :( (it wasn't Liashenko or Maniashenko)

guinevere

JonnyCoop

Record Breaker
berthes ghost said:
In real life, she took the silver medal.

You are right! I consider myself to be a walking encylopaedia of skating results -- guess my brain took a vacation for a minute there! :)

Matt

On the Ice
My Skaters

The skaters I'm watching...

Kevin van der Perren: He was so impressive this year; great technican on the jumps, some good artistry, but he need more variation in his spins. He's got Morozov in his corner, so that a perc. I know he wasn't doing 3x or the 4t this year because of knee surgery; I hope he can get at least his 3x back and consistent. That would make him just that much better.

Lysacek: Looking at JGP results, I picked this guy to do well at Nats, but wow! He's quite the dynamic skater. A little refinement of the choreography (he tend to flail his arms) and he'll be quite the little threat.

Miki Ando: I've not seen her do a whole program, but I've seen clips of her jump, and if the choreography's as good as the jumps, she'll be top of the heap in no time.

Kostner: Definitely

BTW, the Ukrainian skater guinvere mentioned might be Yulia Lawrenchuk. She was one of the three big Ukrainian women with Liashenko and Maniachenko right after Oksana, but seems to have disappeared. Or, from the description, it might have been Anna Rechnio of Poland. At Worlds (I can't remember the year), she was 2nd behind MK after the SP, but ended up a disappointing 5th. Just trying to help out!

Ladskater

~ Figure Skating Is My Passion ~
Record Breaker
Johar:

Yes, I agree about Fedor Andreev, he is a natural skater and has "raw" talent. No wonder look who is mother is! I thought he was amazing at Canadians. I could watch him skate all day.

brenlynn

On the Ice
i also have high hopes for fedor andreev. i think he's going to steal the show in canadian mens skating some day soon. his skating has improved so much since moving to detroit to train with richard. he's a wonderful skater, i just hope he can deliver the goods!

i miss naomi nari nam. i thought she was going to be the next big thing.

evan lysacek, i think he is going to be quite the force in mens skating in the coming years as he develops more and more every season. i can't wait to see the sort of rivalry him and johnny weir might develop, they are both amazing.

orscher & lucash and don & hunt, i am looking for them to carry the us pairs program in the right direction. they are both amazingly talented teams for only having 2/3 seasons together under their belts. with experience the rough edges with these two teams will be worked out.

guinevere

Final Flight
Re: My Skaters

Matt said:
BTW, the Ukrainian skater guinvere mentioned might be Yulia Lawrenchuk. She was one of the three big Ukrainian women with Liashenko and Maniachenko right after Oksana, but seems to have disappeared. Or, from the description, it might have been Anna Rechnio of Poland. At Worlds (I can't remember the year), she was 2nd behind MK after the SP, but ended up a disappointing 5th. Just trying to help out!
Possibly Lawrenchuk - definitely not Rechnio - this girl was not at Worlds and DEFINITELY did not get close to the Kween in competition! But thank you for the names!!

guinevere