Skaters who remind us of “parts of ourselves”—Discuss! | Page 2 | Golden Skate

Skaters who remind us of “parts of ourselves”—Discuss!

el henry

Go have some cake. And come back with jollity.
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
I don't think TSL has figured out anything new... I posted something similar in the RLT a bit back https://www.goldenskate.com/forum/t...es-figure-skating.85832/page-870#post-2708900

I think the "attraction" part can be traced to people finding "friendship" in celebrities and basically projecting whatever personality they want onto them.

Going back to conversations with my friend (who pointed this out to me), it's also to do with people treating their favorites as the "better/ideal version" of themselves. They also tend to associate the values they hold dear with the skaters. The example we discussed was that Hanyu's femininity/androgynity might appeal to people who value gender non-conformity, and so on.

Thanks for the reference to the thread. I certainly would not accuse Dave Lease of having an original thought. ;)

The "projection" or "identification" is an interesting concept, but as I indicated for me, it's not the case. I can't think of one characteristic I have in common with Jason (OK, maybe determination, but I would assume every skater has that characteristic). If anything, my reaction to what I perceive as unfair criticism is a reflection on me. I am quick to defend anyone who I think is wrongly characterized. If someone wants to say, I don't like Jason because he can't jump quads and I love jumps, well there is absolutely nothing in that statement that is wrong, so what can I say? But if someone says, I don't like Jason because he is just coasting on being artistic, what he does is so easy, his smiles are fake and it's not fair he scores so high, well every clause in that statement is incorrect, and I don't like incorrect statements. :)

So in some way it is all about me:laugh:

ladyjane

Medalist
Country
Netherlands
Do skaters who manage not just to interest you because you (are) like them in a way, but who for whatever reason manage to move you also count on this score? I will always love Irina Slutskaya for her Wonderland skate at worlds 2005 (sniff, sniff), not because she won but because the whole programme - including the K&C - managed to move me. I always need a tissue when I watch. I don't think there is anything about myself in Irina, but the whole story makes me cry when I watch that programme every time. The same with Aljona and Bruno's Olympic FS - that was good, no doubt about it, but it moved me (and even though the WC skate was better according to the points given, that moved me much less) a lot. Another tissue needing programme, even if I watch it for the 50th time. And Jason's Schindler's List also has this effect on me. I do definitely also like his personality and wish I could be like that, but it's what the programme does combined with the music and the person.

Skatesocs

Final Flight
Thanks for the reference to the thread. I certainly would not accuse Dave Lease of having an original thought. ;)
Haha, I think they messed up if I am reading these other responses correctly :laugh: The point about projection etc applies to fandom/celebrity power, not "I like this person's work". You can like a person's work for a very wide variety of reasons. :shrug: I'm sure most people like a lot of skaters, but are ardent fans of only a few of them.

TallyT

Record Breaker
Country
Australia
Having thought about it, the only thing I have in common with any skater is lack of height (hi Shoma!) dodgy ankles and that my personal dress sense makes Chen look like Misha Ge. I don't think that makes much of a case for connection through self-identification :scratch2: (c,mon, I identify with Madame Arcati and Lewis Carroll's White Knight, so am not going to be looking for parts of me in sports, am I?)

The ones I really love and follow are those who fire my imagination, and the few I adore are those who can bring that catch at the back of the throat like music or art, or any sheer beauty in life, can. And who are people I can admire as a human being as well as an athlete or artist. That's way too much to expect to see in little old me.

Fourleaf Clover

Rinkside
Country
Philippines
Hmm.. I guess Yuzu and I are both stubborn as heck and tend to fixate on things or details that can be mind-boggling for some people. But I've only known such traits about him after being his fan and noticing it as time passes. I actually thought that he's going to be a huge star in skating after Nice 2012, so I decided to follow his career as it unfolds. It also helps that he's such a cute and adorable kid while having the biggest fighting spirit back then. I think most of his fans were hooked by his looks, amazed by his abilities and stayed for his character/ personality.

Ladskater

~ Figure Skating Is My Passion ~
Record Breaker
Not entirely sure what you mean by "part of myself" but I always admired Karen Magnussen back in the day when I started figure skating. I would say she inspired me to figure skate, perhaps the "part of myself" most like Karen would be my passion for figure skating. Karen as well had and still has a passion for figure skating even though she no longer can teach due to a health issue. Interesting topic.

el henry

Go have some cake. And come back with jollity.
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
I don’t know, perhaps not like me, but I tend to like skaters, who remind me of my kids, nieces, nephews, younger siblings. I feel protective over those young, shy, humble kids.

I feel protective of all the skaters I like, but that's because I am a skating auntie. I love Jason for his humility of course, but I'm not sure anyone called him shy. The two do not necessarily combine. ;)

And every single one of these skaters, even Alexei Bychenko, or my gal Deanna Stellato, is a kid to me:laugh:

iluvtodd

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
One of our nephews actually looks like Jason Brown, post-ponytail. We have shown my brother in law, sister in law, niece, & said nephew the pics of Jason, and they all agree. Of course we loved Jason Brown way before he ditched the ponytail for his humility, charming personality, enthusiasm, etc.

I'm basically a shy person (depending on the circumstances). I see that in Todd & Kimmie. I appreciate perseverance (which can be said for many skaters). In addition to the skating, I am drawn to skaters who show good sportsmanship (Yuzu, Javi, Nathan are prime examples). Donovan Carillo is just so endearing. Ditto for Sean Rabbitt. I could go on & on!

Last edited:

moonvine

All Hail Queen Gracie
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Oh and Gracie and I both have a massive case of RBF.

lappo

Final Flight
Unfortunately (for me!), neither me and Yuna nor me and Yuzuru have nothing in common! Though I must say that I started following Alina more closely after one interview of hers when she talked about moving with her grandmother to Moscow to pursue her career, leaving her parents and sister behind and seeing them just on few occasions during the year. That somehow parallels my own story and made me very symphatetic with her struggles.

Adjesusluvsu

Rinkside
Country
United-States
This sounds stupid, I know, but Yuzuru's left and right eyes have slightly different shapes like mine do (we are both East Asian), which I'd never seen before among my very white environment so I guess it makes me feel less alone. Yes, again I know this sounds irrelevant lol

(And I don't mean that people of other races have two different eye shapes, just that Yuzuru is the first I noticed)

emipeters

Rinkside
This sounds stupid, I know, but Yuzuru's left and right eyes have slightly different shapes like mine do (we are both East Asian), which I'd never seen before among my very white environment so I guess it makes me feel less alone. Yes, again I know this sounds irrelevant lol

(And I don't mean that people of other races have two different eye shapes, just that Yuzuru is the first I noticed)
I've got this too, white with a Jewish background. It's a family trait, visible even in ancient photos of past ancestors.