Skates for the totally recreational skater | Golden Skate

Skates for the totally recreational skater

anonymoose_au

Insert weird opinion here
Record Breaker
Country
Australia
Well, I finally went I've skating for the first time in over a year today, yay!

Some advice though...I have my own skates but no doubt I've broken every rule in the book because they are second hand skates that I picked up in an Charity shop for $50 a few years back.

They were barely worn as far as I could tell and I mostly bought them so I wouldn't have to deal with rental skates.

Now when I say I'm a recreational skater I mean it, I don't do any jumps or spins or even crossovers, I just skate forward, maybe do some swizzles and do the odd one foot skating.

Anywho I have an issue which I'm unsure is an issue, it's weird but as long as I'm moving in my skates my feet feel OK, but the second I slow down I get an ache in my arches. Any ideas what this might be about? Is it because I don't wear my orthodics when I skate? (Although I do remember skating with them in once and my feet just hurt more) Or could it be I'm too heavy for the skates? I have small feet, so I think they might be kids skates. They're Botas Juliet skates I have never been able to get much info on them....except that they're a Czech brand I live in Australia so I'm not sure how they got all the way out here, I'm only 158cm tall, but I weigh like 79kg and am 37 years old (😱 ancient!)

Thing is as I said I'm skating at such a low level I'm not sure it's worth trying to get other skates...
They have changed the pricing at the rink I go to, so that you're no longer charged extra for rentals. So would I be better off just wearing those 🤔 I do love having my own nice white pair of ice skates though!

Any insights would be appreciated!

Ic3Rabbit

Former Elite, now Pro. ⛸️
Record Breaker
Country
Olympics
Well, I finally went I've skating for the first time in over a year today, yay!

Some advice though...I have my own skates but no doubt I've broken every rule in the book because they are second hand skates that I picked up in an Charity shop for $50 a few years back.

They were barely worn as far as I could tell and I mostly bought them so I wouldn't have to deal with rental skates.

Now when I say I'm a recreational skater I mean it, I don't do any jumps or spins or even crossovers, I just skate forward, maybe do some swizzles and do the odd one foot skating.

Anywho I have an issue which I'm unsure is an issue, it's weird but as long as I'm moving in my skates my feet feel OK, but the second I slow down I get an ache in my arches. Any ideas what this might be about? Is it because I don't wear my orthodics when I skate? (Although I do remember skating with them in once and my feet just hurt more) Or could it be I'm too heavy for the skates? I have small feet, so I think they might be kids skates. They're Botas Juliet skates I have never been able to get much info on them....except that they're a Czech brand I live in Australia so I'm not sure how they got all the way out here, I'm only 158cm tall, but I weigh like 79kg and am 37 years old (😱 ancient!)

Thing is as I said I'm skating at such a low level I'm not sure it's worth trying to get other skates...
They have changed the pricing at the rink I go to, so that you're no longer charged extra for rentals. So would I be better off just wearing those 🤔 I do love having my own nice white pair of ice skates though!

Any insights would be appreciated!
You just need a better pair of rec skates or very low level skates that fit you. You may even want to get fitted due to your arch issues and find a brand that works for you, because it's obvious to me that the ones you have aren't for you and your particular feet.
Another thing is, you are definitely never better off with rentals, those are the worst.

Good luck and if you need any more help let me know!

WednesdayMarch

Nicer When Fed
Medalist
Country
United-Kingdom
Are you clenching your toes without realising it...? Most likely, however, that the skates aren't really suitable for your feet. You could try an insole to see if that helps, and investigate different lacing patterns. If you want to continue to skate and do it in comfort, however, it may be that the only real answer is to get fitted properly. Good luck!

MCsAngel2

On the Ice
Arch pain usually is caused by boots that are too narrow for your foot. Alternatively, (because some people do this instead of getting the right width) it could be that the boot is too long (too large) in order to fit width wise. You wind up clenching your toes as WednesdayMarch says to prevent your foot moving back and forth in the boot.

gliese

Final Flight
Country
United-States
Arch pain usually is caused by boots that are too narrow for your foot. Alternatively, (because some people do this instead of getting the right width) it could be that the boot is too long (too large) in order to fit width wise. You wind up clenching your toes as WednesdayMarch says to prevent your foot moving back and forth in the boot.
There's also the heel coming up that causes you to clench to keep it down which would mean not the right shape or too wide in the heel.

sadya

On the Ice
Country
Netherlands
anymoose_au, I'm a recreational skater too! I would like to learn to do cross overs and brake properly, but that's about it. My first time on the ice was last year, I was 42. And happy.

People give the strangest reactions though: "well, looks like you aren't going to the Olympics!" or "aren't you too old to compete?" or "isn't it too late for you to learn?" etc. which is stupid, why assume that competing is the only reason for people to want to skate?

I always wanted to skate, because here in the Netherlands we had a tradition back in the '80s: whenever the lakes would freeze people would just skate and even take the sled on the ice in the cities and villages. All my life I longed for the simple pleasure of just recreational skating. I love it and it's nice to meet someone who is "just" a recreational skater too :D

My feet hurt too btw, I tried different skates. And some skates even caused pain in my calves! Then an expert suggested Roces skates, they fitted better than the expensive Edea skates for me which hurt my feet terribly. Since the Roces both my feet and legs don't hurt anymore. So perhaps you could let an expert advice you. Enjoy your skating!

TQB

Rinkside
People give the strangest reactions though: "well, looks like you aren't going to the Olympics!" or "aren't you too old to compete?" or "isn't it too late for you to learn?" etc. which is stupid, why assume that competing is the only reason for people to want to skate?

God people are annoying. I think you're awesome! I'm so impressed with how many adult skaters are in my club's beginner groups. I'm 46 but I've been skating since I was 6 - I honestly don't know if I could do it now if that was not the case. Ice is HARD. You are courageous and inspiring!

1111bm

Final Flight
Huh? Who/where? I assumed you went to a public session. Why would anyone say such a thing to someone, who just went skating as a fun activity at a session, that is meant for this exact purpose.
(also that would be a lot of skaters to tell that to, there's loads of people who go skating recreationally maybe 1-2 a year)

I always wanted to skate, because here in the Netherlands we had a tradition back in the '80s: whenever the lakes would freeze people would just skate and even take the sled on the ice in the cities and villages.
I think that's not a tradition, but popular all over the world. It's just that winters aren't as cold anymore in Northern Europe (excluding scandinavia though) so yeah, it mostly stopped after the 80s, as I can attest. Plus, nowadays the police will shoo you away for safety reasons, which is something I never witnessed as a child. (Although we usually skated on ponds which weren't deep, so maybe that's why they weren't as concerend)

Last edited:

sadya

On the Ice
Country
Netherlands
God people are annoying. I think you're awesome! I'm so impressed with how many adult skaters are in my club's beginner groups. I'm 46 but I've been skating since I was 6 - I honestly don't know if I could do it now if that was not the case. Ice is HARD. You are courageous and inspiring!
That is so sweet. Even though I'm not interested in doing that myself, I admire adult skaters who compete. I think you'd be just fine on the ice btw, if you started skating later. When you love being on skates, I learnt that any age is fine to step on the ice.

Last edited:

sadya

On the Ice
Country
Netherlands
Huh? Who/where? I assumed you went to a public session. Why would anyone say such a thing to someone, who just went skating as a fun activity at a session, that is meant for this exact purpose.
(also that would be a lot of skaters to tell that to, there's loads of people who go skating recreationally maybe 1-2 a year)

I think that's not a tradition, but popular all over the world. It's just that winters aren't as cold anymore in Northern Europe (excluding scandinavia though) so yeah, it mostly stopped after the 80s, as I can attest. Plus, nowadays the police will shoo you away for safety reasons, which is something I never witnessed as a child. (Although we usually skated on ponds which weren't deep, so maybe that's why they weren't as concerend)

Well, some friends made these remarks, a few of them jokingly and others seriously. My older brother said I was too old to learn skating. Random people who were curious what I was doing there, made such comments. When people ask what I enjoy doing in my spare time, they say these things when I mention loving books and skating. It surprises me, as when I grew up, most Dutch children learnt both cycling and skating from a young age. It was just part of life in the Netherlands. Most people were at least recreational skaters. And many still are.

As to why anyone would say such a thing to someone who just went skating as a fun activity at a session? I have no idea. In our rink amidst the public session people train as well, so it shouldn't be starnge to anyone that I am a recreational skater too.

You are right about the weather and less lakes don't freeze every year anymore, less people skate. Last winter the lakes froze here for the first time in many years. People were back on the ice in town everywhere. I was so happy to show my son what that was like, I often told him how in my childhood this happened every year. The police allowed everyone to skate on the lakes, as long as people kept a safe distance.

This was in my town a monts ago: https://www.destentor.nl/apeldoorn/schaatsen-onder-idyllische-omstandigheden-in-de-apeldoornse-parken-maar-kijk-uit-voor-de-wakken~a6101642/?referrer=https://www.google.com/

gliese

Final Flight
Country
United-States
Plus, nowadays the police will shoo you away for safety reasons, which is something I never witnessed as a child. (Although we usually skated on ponds which weren't deep, so maybe that's why they weren't as concerend)
I skated on a fairly shallow pond a couple months ago and the police told us to leave even thought they had deemed the ice to be safe just that morning :(

Super frustrating, honestly.