Skating Outdoors - "The Wind at Your Face" | Golden Skate

Skating Outdoors - "The Wind at Your Face"

silverpond

On the Ice
Have any of you enjoyed skating the 'old-fashioned' way -- skating in the outdoors?

I remember as a kid, not that many years ago, when a group of my friends and I would grab our skates (which were pretty banged up), hiked over to one of the local lakes, and spent a very enjoyable afternoon racing around the ice, playing "whip", trying to look graceful:laugh:, and doing our best to stay upright. There were bonfires on both sides of the lake, and we would take breaks to warm up and laugh at the other skaters.

There must be something about global warming, as those lakes haven't frozen solid for years - at least not solid enough to venture safely onto the ice.

A few winters ago we had a rare prolonged cold snap that lasted for about two weeks. Lo and behold, the lakes froze solid - and they were packed with an intergenerational mob, some of whom played pickup hockey, some skated in pairs, some skated alone, and many just hung out on the ice, having a ball. I wanted to jump out of my car and join the fun, but I was on my way to an appointment, so I missed out. Darned it!

Figure skating competitions used to be held outdoors, and that surely posed a challenge. Skaters had to trace school figures outdoors and then compete outdoors, being at the mercy of the elements. A gust of wind could wreck havoc with a jump takeoff, and of course there was assortment of snow, rain, sleet, and fog. Yikes, talk about competing under difficult circumstances. If I recall my skating videos correctly, Peggy Fleming won her first World title in Davos, Switzerland in 1966, and the competition was held outdoors in brilliant sunshine.

Maybe next winter will be a good time to venture outdoors on the ice!

gkelly

Record Breaker
Before I took skating lessons, I went skating on frozen ponds several times during elementary school years. I just remember falling a lot (no boards to hang onto), and hot chocolate afterwards.

More recently, as an adult figure skater...

On an outdoor artificial rink, I discovered that layback at noon is a bad idea unless it's a very very cloudy day.

Skating on a frozen canal I was tentative about what I could do because the texture of the ice was so inconsistent. Mostly I was just skating forward. My niece wanted to tango, meaning she wanted me to dip her standing in place. But then I told her there were tango ice dances and started to demonstrate the Canasta Tango, which is an all-forward dance. But I got confused and started doing the Fiesta Tango instead. When I got to the mohawk I happened to hit a soft patch of ice and went straight down.

I can't imagine doing real figure skating in those conditions.

silverpond

On the Ice
Just a question -- how many inches think does outdoor ice have to be to be considered safe for skating? Sometimes I've seen people skating on ponds whose ice, quite frankly, appears to be dangerously thin.

Ladskater

~ Figure Skating Is My Passion ~
Record Breaker
Yes, do I ever remember learning to figure skate outdoors in Prince George BC. My dad made a small ice rink for us in our back yard. There I was every day and sometimes night (til 10 pm) practicing all my new moves I learned from my skating lessons at the local figure skating club. I still have the pictures of me in my skating costumes my mom sewed for me. I love skating outdoors. There are so many rinks and lakes in Prince George - it's a figure skaters paradise. Thanks for this great walk down memory lane.
:biggrin:

dorispulaski

Wicked Yankee Girl
Country
United-States
I learned to skate on the ponds down the street from my house. It's one of my favorite childhood memories. It's not that hard to do basic figures on pond ice-I used to love to do them.

We also had strange scrum hockey games with a strange variety of equipment and very strange rules. And yes, we had bonfires. You sat around them to put your skates on in relative comfort.

The land for the main public park in our town was donated by a man who gave the land with the proviso that the town must maintain a skating pond as part of the facilities. It used to be flooded every year. When I got older and graduated from the ponds down the street to the park pond, it was still a great thing to do. My first date with my husband was to go skating outdoors.

mskater93

Record Breaker
Just this past winter, I had a lesson on an outdoor rink that's set up specifically for skating by a park district. Made me remember everything I love about skating - it was sunny, chilly, the ice was crappy, but it was WONDERFUL

silverpond

On the Ice
Yes, do I ever remember learning to figure skate outdoors in Prince George BC. My dad made a small ice rink for us in our back yard. There I was every day and sometimes night (til 10 pm) practicing all my new moves I learned from my skating lessons at the local figure skating club. I still have the pictures of me in my skating costumes my mom sewed for me. I love skating outdoors. There are so many rinks and lakes in Prince George - it's a figure skaters paradise. Thanks for this great walk down memory lane.
:biggrin:

Thanks for posting the articles on skating in your neck of the woods in British Columbia. The Vancouver weather fluctuated during the 2010 Winter Games, and that did cause some issues with some of the outdoor events. Perhaps this was similar to the Chinook winds that affected some of the events in Calgary? Anyway - for any of us to do venture outdoors to skate - it's fair warning. Be careful, stay safe, and have a ball. :)

Has anyone skated in the Wolfman Rink in Central Park, NYC? I'm chuckling as I remember the scene from "Home Alone II - Lost in New York" - during which Harry and Marv planned to rob the toy store. Marv kept grabbing scarves and gloves off the skaters as they passed, and he took a nasty spill trying to reach the end of the rink. It is a gorgeous rink! It appears to be quite large, with plenty of room to get around.

In contrast, the Rockefeller Center skating rink is very small. It looks a lot larger during the Christmas tree lighting ceremony, but it's small. Of course, the location is great! :thumbsup: