Figure skating and Artistic roller skating cross paths | Page 3 | Golden Skate

Figure skating and Artistic roller skating cross paths

Sk8swan

On the Ice
Guillermo Gomez LP @ 2024 Trieste Artistic World Cup
I'm totally in love with this skater❤️ If he can stay injury free and develop even further the already excellent artistic side of his skating he will surely become one if not the greatest ever. He has the whole package: technically with excellent jumps and out of this world spins and expression and feel for the music and is still pretty young so loads of margin for improvement.

ETA: to jump a 3loop-3loop combo is extremely rare to be seen on rollers as it takes soo much power... Skaters often go for sequences with single loops in between their triples. I believe he is the first man to just have 3-3 if not 3-3-3 combos in his programs.

Last edited:

Diana Delafield

Frequent flyer
Medalist
Country
Canada
Guillermo Gomez LP @ 2024 Trieste Artistic World Cup
I'm totally in love with this skater❤️ If he can stay injury free and develop even further the already excellent artistic side of his skating he will surely become one if not the greatest ever. He has the whole package: technically with excellent jumps and out of this world spins and expression and feel for the music and is still pretty young so loads of margin for improvement.

ETA: to jump a 3loop-3loop combo is extremely rare to be seen on rollers as it takes soo much power... Skaters often go for sequences with single loops in between their triples. I believe he is the first man to just have 3-3 if not 3-3-3 combos in his programs.
Wow! :jaw: And those combination spins are mind-boggling, if you've ever tried to spin on quad wheels. What I particularly like is his constant use of footwork that means he very seldom does plain stroking between elements, and thus avoids the one complaint people make about wheels vs ice, the choppy look of stroking and crossovers. He skates as smoothly as if he were on ice. Thanks for posting this!

Sk8swan

On the Ice
Exactly!!! That's why I believe he could be really outstanding on ice too. I know he did some ice camps with Javier... As much as I love to see him skate on rollers, I hope he will soon take the switch into serious consideration.

Diana Delafield

Frequent flyer
Medalist
Country
Canada
Exactly!!! That's why I believe he could be really outstanding on ice too. I know he did some ice camps with Javier... As much as I love to see him skate on rollers, I hope he will soon take the switch into serious consideration.
Now that's a combination of skater and coach I'd like to see happen! :love:

Sk8swan

On the Ice
I haven't mentioned dance yet in this thread. I have to say in recent years roller dance has got closer to ice dance... When you watch the top teams you sometimes forget they have a floor underneath.
The skater mentioned here already Roberta Sasso is not only competing (and winning!) senior solo dance but is also skating in dance with Gherardo Altieri. They are young and very promising, already World Champion in their Senior debut.
Watch their FD here (too bad about the mistake in the last lift... But she is a superstar!)
And here is their new FD as recently shown at Trieste World Cup

ETA: The mistake on the final lift was at the World Cup not the World Championships.

Last edited:

Diana Delafield

Frequent flyer
Medalist
Country
Canada
I haven't mentioned dance yet in this thread. I have to say in recent years roller dance has got closer to ice dance... When you watch the top teams you sometimes forget they have a floor underneath.
The skater mentioned here already Roberta Sasso is not only competing (and winning!) senior solo dance but is also skating in dance with Gherardo Altieri. They are young and very promising, already World Champion in their Senior debut.
Watch their FD here (too bad about the mistake in the last lift... But she is a superstar!)

ETA: The mistake on the final lift was at the World Cup not the World Championships.
I've found at my club that it's easy to switch back and forth from the big dance studio we use for roller skating to the ice, working on a solo dance program (just for fun while my partner is away on vacation) and warming up with some of the same pattern dances on both surfaces. I thought it would be hard to find the right spot to turn on with the wheels (for 3 turns, etc) but it seemed to be natural. Spins have been tougher to get on wheels. Watching Guillermo flipping back and forth between his front and back wheels in his combination spins fills me with envy!

Diana Delafield

Frequent flyer
Medalist
Country
Canada

Where she stood up on his thigh and immediately stepped down again? At least that dance lift looks safer with wheels than with blades! I've never been willing to try it with my pairs partner on the ice because I have visions of slicing his femoral artery. But I'd be willing to try it with wheels.....(He's going to get a surprise when he gets back from his cruise. I'm getting ideas for things I want to try on the roller floor ;).)

I love the rink they're using in the Trieste competition. Is that an ice rink with the ice out? Most civic arenas where I live (in Canada) take the ice out in at least one or two of the surfaces and there's floor hockey all summer, both on inline skates and sneakers. I like the white surface on the flooring. Makes it easier to see details of what the skaters are doing.

lauramartha3

Spectator
I've been posting here and there on this forum about artistic roller skating and its connection with figure skating and I decided to start a new topic to share some thoughts about how the two disciplines, although different, have somehow crossed their path.
I have been a roller skater myself and followed both sports for quite a while now.
I was always interested in pairs and never understood while Italy, who has a huge tradition in pair roller skating, never managed to produce decent ice skating pairs until after 2006 and even later than that.
I've always thought ice skating would benefit from the help of highly experienced roller skating coaches. In the end, luckily, that happened: we had great roller skating champions (first Zanforlin & Degli Esposti, then Guarise) switching to figure skating and they brought their coaches along. Those coaches started to work also with other pairs, teaching them how to perform pair elements and difficult lifts with change of positions. For instance Matteo’s roller skating coach (multi- world champion Patrick Venerucci) worked with Marchei & Hotarek as well. So ice skating coaches learned from them and that’s how we’ve managed to build many competitive pair teams in recent years and also have foreign pairs coming to train in Italy.
There is still a substantial difference between ice pairs and roller pairs though.
In roller skating kids start doing pairs since a very young age, competing in both pairs and singles, sometimes even their whole career. Matteo Guarise himself started skating pairs at age 5. In roller skating there is a progressive safe way to perform lifts which are done not higher than shoulder level, up to the youth categories. You can see an example here.
https://youtu.be/joy0jxhyo-A The guy in this pair was 14 years old. [OT: I just loooved this pair, so talented and promising… unfortunately he quitted and now is a very successful professional dancer].
This way the male partner progressively learn how to deal with a lifted weight, without risking injuries. The same doesn’t happen in ice skating and this drastically increases the risks of injuries. Lucrezia Beccari herself, when she was young, risked a career ending injury in a lift while trying out with a not experienced partner.
Speaking about lifts, the reverse lift has been compulsory for ages in roller skating, while only in recent years many pairs are performing it on the ice. IIRC it was not to be seen until Zanforlin & Degli Esposti brought it to the ice in 2008… not sure if that’s a coincidence or not! I loved that lift performed by Guarise and his partner Sara Venerucci as she achieved almost a split position. Watch it here: Venerucci & Guarise - 2008 Italian Nationals SP .
As of today there is a substantial difference between lifts performed on the ice and on the floor because in roller skating the male is allowed to do many more revolutions which leads to many difficult changes of positions from the lady.
See Matteo and his partner's first lift in their 2006 Junior World Championships at the beginning of their program… it lasted half a minute and covered almost a full rink! Venerucci & Guarise - 2006 Junior Worlds LP
One thing I’d love to see somehow transferred to the ice is the pair spin you see performed by the top roller teams with the lady being lifted by the man. I see this season figure skating rules changed and some of the pairs are already doing these tiny lifts while spinning… who knows if this leads to what I’ve been hoping for…
I’m speaking about the spin you can see in this program at min. 2: 2016 Worlds Tarlazzi & Lucaroni SP & LP
If you like pair skating I suggest to watch this team… This is probably the best pair team roller skating ever had in history.
And here the cross path between the two disciplines comes out so distinctively.
First their coach has always been interested in figure skating and travelled to watch fs competition live.
He built this pair and their programs just as if they were ice skaters with the goal to have them switch to figure skating and compete in the Olympics. And they would have definitely done wonders on the ice too with lighter skates on their feets. Both of them could jump all triples on rollers and were not only multi world pair champions but also world champions in men and women singles respectively.
Their coach had some of their programs choreographed with the help of ice dancers. Unfortunately the coach passed away in a tragic accident and all the plans for the team to switch to ice figure skating faded.
They went on to compete again despite the loss, coming up with what for me is one of the most impressive pair program I’ve ever seen. It's inspired to Michelangelo’s work art and earned 10s from all judges for artistic impression at 2018 Worlds. You can watch it here from min. 44 World Skate - Video Day 11 - Senior Pairs Long Program .
They always had very interest and unusual music choices and extremely high difficult technical content.
This pair retired last year leaving a huge gap in roller skating which I dunno if it will ever be filled. With no Olympic perspective there is basically only Italy producing good level pair teams nowadays.
Okay, this is a long post... maybe I'll share more about other disciplines later :wink:
I've only seen a few videos of roller skating competitions, but always wondered (since it seems equally difficult, if not more so, to ice skating) why it never 'caught on' on a global level. Why not have have roller skating in the summer Olympics and ice skating in the winter Olympics? Is it only a 'thing' in Italy? I would also think that roller blades are much less costly than ice skates, etc., etc.

Diana Delafield

Frequent flyer
Medalist
Country
Canada
I've only seen a few videos of roller skating competitions, but always wondered (since it seems equally difficult, if not more so, to ice skating) why it never 'caught on' on a global level. Why not have have roller skating in the summer Olympics and ice skating in the winter Olympics? Is it only a 'thing' in Italy? I would also think that roller blades are much less costly than ice skates, etc., etc.
A frequently asked question. It's been often proposed, but the decision always is that competitive artistic roller (as opposed to the very popular recreational roller skating) is confined mostly to a few countries, usually with warmer climates and fewer ice arenas. The summer Olympics is top heavy with many more sports than the winter Games, and any new ones have to prove they have competitive activity in many countries and national funding for same. Artistic roller skating hasn't so far met those criteria.

A minor point is that roller competitions are splintered into inline and quad (four-wheeled) events, with quad being the more prestigious. However, the division means fewer competitors in each event than the IOC wants to see, as proof of a sport's widespread participation.

In my own experience, there's little difference in the cost of high-level equipment. I use the same Risport boots I use for figure skating, both pairs bought from the same skate shop, and the quad wheels were about the same price as my blades. Wheels need to be replaced more often than blades because obviously they can't be "sharpened" and their edges wear out quickly if you're doing more than just stroking around, particularly if you're working on spins. The skaters wear the same costumes, and coaching fees are about the same. I can't answer about the price of club membership or floortime vs icetime because I do both activities at the same private multi-sports club.

Sk8swan

On the Ice
Where she stood up on his thigh and immediately stepped down again? At least that dance lift looks safer with wheels than with blades! I've never been willing to try it with my pairs partner on the ice because I have visions of slicing his femoral artery. But I'd be willing to try it with wheels.....(He's going to get a surprise when he gets back from his cruise. I'm getting ideas for things I want to try on the roller floor ;).)

I love the rink they're using in the Trieste competition. Is that an ice rink with the ice out? Most civic arenas where I live (in Canada) take the ice out in at least one or two of the surfaces and there's floor hockey all summer, both on inline skates and sneakers. I like the white surface on the flooring. Makes it easier to see details of what the skaters are doing.
Yes, that one lift 😁
No that's not an ice rink in Trieste, just a roller rink. In recent years, white floors for roller skating competitions have become much more common. And I do think it's because they want to resemble the ice effect 😉
If roller skating might be cheaper for traning facilities costs, it's definitely not for skates equipment. Actually, most of the competitive skaters use a set of wheels for just one competition and then change them. The top skaters might get sponsored equipment but that's not the case in the lower levels.
It is definitely an expensive sport.

Diana Delafield

Frequent flyer
Medalist
Country
Canada
Yes, that one lift 😁
No that's not an ice rink in Trieste, just a roller rink. In recent years, white floors for roller skating competitions have become much more common. And I do think it's because they want to resemble the ice effect 😉
Well, it works! Perhaps that's why I like the look of the venue.

Diana Delafield

Frequent flyer
Medalist
Country
Canada
While noodling around in youtube just now, I discovered for the first time that they also have synchro roller skating! I wanted to post a link to the 2023 (I think?) world championships that I was watching, but the picture kept catching and going negative and doing weird things. But the skaters were doing the same elements in the same kind of programs as the synchro teams on ice. I was thinking that it was safer doing spirals than with blades on their boots, but then I saw one skater knocked down when she got clunked in the head by a teammate's heavy roller skate, so maybe not :dbana: . The little flag in the scoring box was pretty small, but I think it was a team from Israel that I was watching.

Sk8swan

On the Ice
Yes, there is also "synchro" roller skating and also show groups. The latter you will not see on the ice but believe me it is quite impressive when performed by the best teams in the world. It's like theater with *very* eye catching costumes and props! But it's not just that, it's also very difficult and intricate moves. A lot of former world class skaters when they end their solo or pair career switch to show groups (at least in Italy), so the technical level is getting higher and higher.
Just as an example: this is Spanish Team CP Olot winning 2019 World Games . It's a 5min long routine (and I can tell you it takes quite some conditioning to go through that!) and don't miss the final suprise effect... With the crowd going totally nuts for them! 😄

Diana Delafield

Frequent flyer
Medalist
Country
Canada
Yes, there is also "synchro" roller skating and also show groups. The latter you will not see on the ice but believe me it is quite impressive when performed by the best teams in the world. It's like theater with *very* eye catching costumes and props! But it's not just that, it's also very difficult and intricate moves. A lot of former world class skaters when they end their solo or pair career switch to show groups (at least in Italy), so the technical level is getting higher and higher.
Just as an example: this is Spanish Team CP Olot winning 2019 World Games . It's a 5min long routine (and I can tell you it takes quite some conditioning to go through that!) and don't miss the final suprise effect... With the crowd going totally nuts for them! 😄
Wow. I saw paired moves and lifts there more difficult than any I've seen on the ice. I hope ice synchro teams like Les Supremes are watching videos like this and getting ideas! Those butterfly wings added so much to the costumes (although I confess I'd worry about someone getting poked in the face with one, as they look like stiff fabric or a stiff frame for the colourful fabric).

When I Google a request for roller competition videos, I only get a few individual ones and not the top skaters at that. Where do I find ones like you've posted?

Sk8swan

On the Ice
In roller skating show groups you've got: quartets, small groups and large groups. Synchro skating is actually called "precision".
So you could search for those key words (added to "artistic roller skating") on youtube.
You can also find some competitions (simply search for "groups) on these websites, usually broadcasting world and euro competitions live respectively:
http://www.worldskate.tv/
http://europe.worldskate.tv/
I hope this helps :)

Diana Delafield

Frequent flyer
Medalist
Country
Canada
In roller skating show groups you've got: quartets, small groups and large groups. Synchro skating is actually called "precision".
So you could search for those key words (added to "artistic roller skating") on youtube.
You can also find some competitions (simply search for "groups) on these websites, usually broadcasting world and euro competitions live respectively:
http://www.worldskate.tv/
http://europe.worldskate.tv/
I hope this helps :)
Since synchro on ice used to be called precision, I should have thought of that. Not sure if I can see the streaming when it's in Europe and I'm on the Pacific coast of Canada, but I'll try those links and maybe find individual performances. :thank:

I'm turning into a bit of a pest at the multi-sport club I go to. Started out skating pairs there with another former senior competitor, just for fun. Then we both got interested in quad roller dance and persuaded the directors to let us use the "wheelercise" gym where they have a floor that can stand up to wheelchair use, and now we have a little roller group going. This weekend, for Canada Day, there's a Summer Sports Fest where members can watch people demonstrating various sports and sign up to try them out during the summer -- my partner and I are demonstrating a tango on wheels and one of the waltzes on ice (we were going to do a pairs program, but the board member who oversees the rink activity thought that might scare people off instead of encouraging them!) I trapped one of the executive in the hall the other day and started talking up the idea of a synchro roller group, and I'm also trying to help source equipment we could use for adapted/inclusive skating on the ice. I think they're starting to dread seeing me coming in to the office with yet another enthusiastic idea :hap10::slink: