So Youn Park skates into the spotlight | Golden Skate

So Youn Park skates into the spotlight

gsk8

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
So-Youn Park of South Korea recently competed in her first two Grand Prix events, and has her eyes set firmly on the Olympic Winter Games 2018 in Pyeongchang in her home country.

More

Krunchii

Record Breaker
I'm glad to hear that she is focused and preparing herself for the future, I would have guessed that her favourite jump is the 3S, not 2A though, she may like the jumps best but I hope she will work on her spins more because they're really weak

Park, who enjoys playing the piano in the little spare time she has, is trains in Seoul. Yuna Kim, who is studying at the university now, comes once or twice a week to the rink when her busy schedule allows it to work with the young skaters on choreography and expression, as Park revealed.

I'm glad to hear that Yuna is actively involved with young skaters in her country, I hope she's having a good time at university

sunnystars

#teamotherskaters
Record Breaker
It looks like she is on track, and Coach Chi is sure of one thing: “Even if she doesn’t reach the very top, she will leave her mark in the sport of figure skating.”

This part made me feel a wee bit emotional. She will make her mark in figure skating! Yes, she may never achieve what Yuna (and the others above her) has done but her drive to continue and improve made me feel so proud. :cry:

@Krunchii
I agree that her spins are one of her main weaknesses. I do think she needs to work more on her flexibility and extensions more. Her timing to the music did improve (if you compare it to few seasons ago) and she looks like she's working on staying in positions more longer too. Overall, yeah she needs to work them too!

hippomoomin

Record Breaker
I personally think she is more enjoyable to watch than most current Asian skaters. She has beautiful arm and upper body movement. Her spins are weak indeed, although I think it is completely possible to improve her flexibility at 17, I haven't seem any skater getting more flexible after they came out for competition.

andyjo24

Medalist
She is such a lovely skater. Her jumps are high and secure, and her artistry and interpretation are excellent. She captures most, if not all, of the nuances in the music. If she can be consistent and improve on her spins, she can definitely challenge the Russian ladies IMO. I hope she can medal at 4CC, as that will really boost her reputation. Consistency is always, always key in this sport.

I think she does have a decent chance of reaching the "very top." Who knew that Sotnikova would win OGM four years ago? A lot of things can change in the next four years.

Last edited:

andyjo24

Medalist
I'm glad to hear that she is focused and preparing herself for the future, I would have guessed that her favourite jump is the 3S, not 2A though, she may like the jumps best but I hope she will work on her spins more because they're really weak

I'm glad to hear that Yuna is actively involved with young skaters in her country, I hope she's having a good time at university

I would have guessed 3S, too. Her 3S is so high and secure. Her 2A is also really good, especially when compared to most of the Russian ladies.

Meoima

Match Penalty
I hope she can focus on the loop, as I see it now, I think her problem with the 3lo is more of a mental thing than her technique.
I love this young lady. She can do it.

Last edited:

FSGMT

Record Breaker
The thing I love the most about her is her wonderful technique in the jumps (reminds me a lot of Yu-Na in this aspect, too :p) now I understand why! Had she skated better in that CoR SP :bang: (my poor predictions...)

Ayeshoo

On the Ice
I love So Youn. She's a joy to watch. She's very graceful on the ice and her movements do not look rushed when she performs. Based on her scores in the GP, it seems that one of her other challenges though is really to find a way to increase her PCS... Hmm, but anyway I really wish she can podium in Four Continents! :cheer:

matmuh

what are levels anyway
Record Breaker
i love her, not just her skating but also her personality, she seems really grateful whether she skated good or bad, when you see her at k&c there is always that beautiful smile, seems like she is like that at practices too
Coach Chi is pleased with the work ethics of her student.

“She is goal-oriented and hard working,” she said. “When something doesn’t work in practice, she will repeat it again and again and will not lose her smile.”
she has high chance of being national champion looking at the results of GPS, good luck to her for the rest of the season, :cheer:

Meoima

Match Penalty
I love So Youn. She's a joy to watch. She's very graceful on the ice and her movements do not look rushed when she performs. Based on her scores in the GP, it seems that one of her other challenges though is really to find a way to increase her PCS... Hmm, but anyway I really wish she can podium in Four Continents! :cheer:
:yay: what if they send her to a foreign coach?

Ayeshoo

On the Ice
:yay: what if they send her to a foreign coach?

I have been wondering about that. Like how KSU supports their skaters to train abroad. So Youn is great and will likely be the national champion but I'm not sure if KSU would immediately be investing in her. At least with Yuna before, she was already a junior world champion when she decided she wanted to train abroad...

Meoima

Match Penalty
I have been wondering about that. Like how KSU supports their skaters to train abroad. So Youn is great and will likely be the national champion but I'm not sure if KSU would immediately be investing in her. At least with Yuna before, she was already a junior world champion when she decided she wanted to train abroad...
:scratch: yeah, and training abroad is costly, both mentally and physically. At least for new she can work with David Wilson, a famous choreographer. It's better than none.

andyjo24

Medalist

That's why I really hoped that So Youn medaled at COR. The KSU would probably invest a bit more if they do see results.

Ayeshoo

On the Ice
But I guess given that the Olympics will be in Korea next, the KSU would be developing more skaters to be representatives (and maybe even enough to participate in the team competition?). The chances of sending So Youn abroad though seems unlikely. And while she still needs to develop more difficult jumps, her foundation for jumping technique seems really good. Like in her performance during Worlds...

But I'm so glad that Yuna is mentoring them. She obviously has extensive knowledge and experience that she can share with the younger skaters, and seems to be very committed in helping her juniors. Really hoping to see So Youn on the podium for her next competition, and I hope that she gains more popularity and support in and out of Korea.

Krunchii

Record Breaker
Yuna's foundation was very good as a junior and then she went abroad and got polished up by a foreign coach, if the KSU wants a contender for 2018 I suggest they invest a little bit in So Youn, having a bigger name coach can raise her PCS since it's pretty much a reputation mark now anyway.

Warwick360

Medalist
I hope park gets better points than she's done throughout this season. I have been left quite baffled by how low her pcs scores are for her R+J. Same goes for Polina :think:

amazingMao

Rinkside
Since Worlds Championships last year, I enjoy watching So Youn due to her innate artistry and musicality. Maybe due to her ballet and piano backgrounds she has sensitivity to the music. I hope she works more on her spins (positioning, flexibility if she can at her age, and speed). I thinks that's her weakness. Other than that, she has a good jumping technique. Hoping the best for her in the future.

nguyenghita

On the Ice
If So Youn manage a good result in future (podium in major event) then she may find a personal sponsor only for herself, they will help her in costs so she can train overboard without KSU's help, just as Yuna before.