So-Youn Park | Page 12 | Golden Skate

So-Youn Park

cooper

Medalist
^what do you expect about the korean media?? heck i bet none of them even understand the difference between tes and pcs.. :laugh:

sunnystars

#teamotherskaters
Record Breaker
@_@ higher technical content? What are they thinking seriously? She already got the 2nd highest TES at SA?? I don't understand. I think So Youn should focus more on her loop and her speed in step sequence overall. Poor her, being compared to Yuna is huge pressure. Yuna is one of the greatest, they can't expect any skaters to be as great.

Even if she had the 2nd highest TES in SA, keep in mind that the others are doing 3Lz combos and are more strategic with their jump layouts (ex. backload programs). The article even implies that doing two 3Sal might not be enough to be internationally competitive at this time....which is kinda true as well. However, I do know why you're frustrated because the article mostly focused on her need of harder jumps to be competitive. But that matter can't be avoided as well since her predecessor is known for her jumps and consistency.

I thought their TES talk was a bit overkill btw so I'm in the same boat as you. Ugh the unavoidable expectations. She really needs to be far away from S. Korea for the better.

I do agree with what you said that she needs to work on. But sadly, S. Korea likes medals and the fame (any country would do this but S. Korea's like the next level) more than their athlete's efforts.

ps. if anyone is wondering about her 3Lz combo, she was actually working on it last summer but a slight injury kind of hindered her training. That may be one of the possible reasons why she didn't include it in SA.

Meoima

Match Penalty
Do you mean So Youn skated at SA with a slight injury? I hope she will heal soon. Even if it's slight, skating while injured is hurtful.

I think So Youn doesn't need to up her tech right now. Loop and speed in footwork might be more of her concern IMO.

The more I know about the fed, the more I dislike them. To think that they will host the next Olympic but treat their skaters like that. :scowl:

s_parks

Record Breaker
Do you mean So Youn skated at SA with a slight injury? I hope she will heal soon. Even if it's slight, skating while injured is hurtful.

I think So Youn doesn't need to up her tech right now. Loop and speed in footwork might be more of her concern IMO.

The more I know about the fed, the more I dislike them. To think that they will host the next Olympic but treat their skaters like that. :scowl:

It's quite known that KSU really only cares about speed skating/short track, and they haven't even been the best at managing that either(see the Viktor Ahn situation... KSU is truly a mess). It's quite a shame, really, since there are actually so many talented young kids in Korea who will have to risk injury training there, as most of them can't afford to train abroad.

Meoima

Match Penalty
It's quite known that KSU really only cares about speed skating/short track, and they haven't even been the best at managing that either(see the Viktor Ahn situation... KSU is truly a mess). It's quite a shame, really, since there are actually so many talented young kids in Korea who will have to risk injury training there, as most of them can't afford to train abroad.
but Korea is quite a rich country, isn't it? They will have 4 years of preparation. Maybe they will pay attention to FS side more. And I am sure Yuna will help her minions.
So Youn will be 19 nearly 20 by that time, the right moment for her to peak.

s_parks

Record Breaker
but Korea is quite a rich country, isn't it? They will have 4 years of preparation. Maybe they will pay attention to FS side more. And I am sure Yuna will help her minions.
So Youn will be 19 nearly 20 by that time, the right moment for her to peak.

Hopefully. I think/hope Korea's poor Olympics performance this year gave them a wakeup call. And thank goodness for Yuna. I know people don't like Wilson's choreo these days(do check out his work for the Chinese pairs this season, though, but I digress), but it's quite a privilege for them to be able to work with an experienced choreographer like him through Yuna, as the young Koreans don't have a lot of reputation yet.

Meoima

Match Penalty
Hopefully. I think/hope Korea's poor Olympics performance this year gave them a wakeup call. And thank goodness for Yuna. I know people don't like Wilson's choreo these days(do check out his work for the Chinese pairs this season, though, but I digress), but it's quite a privilege for them to be able to work with an experienced choreographer like him through Yuna, as the young Koreans don't have a lot of reputation yet.
I do think some dramatic program will help So Youn develope her versatility more. But she's just 16 I think consistency is the main goal. So for now I don't mind David Wilson's programs for her that much. Now and then he can creat some magic, too, like what he did with Dai's Garden of souls.

I can see that there are quite a lot of FS video uploaded by Korean fans, so I guess FS is viewed quite a lot in Korea. I hope the public exposure will help young skaters in Korea more.

And last but not least: Does KSu have any plan to build some new ice rinks? I've heard FS skaters and speed skaters use the same rink in Korea and it's quite a situation. :confused:

sunnystars

#teamotherskaters
Record Breaker
And last but not least: Does KSu have any plan to build some new ice rinks? I've heard FS skaters and speed skaters use the same rink in Korea and it's quite a situation. :confused:

Sadly there isn't. Yuna actually proposed of creating an entire rink dedicated to figure skating. After that, we didn't hear anything about it. *sigh*

Now I really wish that they speed up the construction of one of the ice rinks for PC 2018. Too bad, the POCOG is constantly changing who's in their comittee.

Meoima

Match Penalty
Sadly there isn't. Yuna actually proposed of creating an entire rink dedicated to figure skating. After that, we (yuna fans) didn't hear anything about it.
I have no other word to say about KSU. They are going to host the next Olympic. Why don't they get their act together. :unsure:
And I am planning to visit Korea for the next Olympic. Hopefully they have better facilities for their skaters by that time.

thoakun

Final Flight
I have no other word to say about KSU. They are going to host the next Olympic. Why don't they get their act together. :unsure:
And I am planning to visit Korea for the next Olympic. Hopefully they have better facilities for their skaters by that time.

I can only guess that KSU is more interested in speed skating since that sport has many events in which Koreans can win gold. FS has only 4 events, but at this moment So Youn is the only skater to do well internationally and there's no telling how she will stack up against Russian ladies in 2018.

cooper

Medalist
there was a plan building an ice rink in korea for figure skaters like in ages.. it's a constant talk but never progressed.. they promised yuna about building an ice rink when she won the gold medal in vancouver and then changed their minds.. and before sochi there was again another talk about building an ice rink in 2015/16 but now it's quiet over there.. it's all talk.. as usual..

as for yuna keep helping.. financially she continues to provide support as much as she can.. but that's not her responsibility.. that's the KSU's responsibility to find sponsors for all skaters.. to give them moral support.. etc... but that's not their priority.. figure skating is always been the 3rd ranked in support.. heck they don't even give a dam* when yuna was still active.. and they love to brag about it by going to the airport and smiled to the cameras when yuna is doing well internationally but behind close doors they've done nothing..

i know there was a question before why not yuna not build her own ice rink in korea.. actually it's not easy to build an ice rink when there are other issues involved like acquiring real property rights.. etc.. i don't know any laws in korea.. but it sounds complicated..

Barb

Record Breaker
It is not easier to send their skaters to USA or Canada? I don´t know where trains So Youn but if she has not the basic (appropiate rink) she could get injured like Yuna.

cooper

Medalist
It is not easier to send their skaters to USA or Canada? I don´t know where trains So Youn but if she has not the basic (appropiate rink) she could get injured like Yuna.

they did.. this summer.. they were training in the US.. hae jin.. so youn in east west palace in california..

sunnystars

#teamotherskaters
Record Breaker
The thing is that their LA summer training was (maybe mostly) funded by Yuna. This may sound kinda mean but she can't fund them all the time. Even though she can but Yuna also has other things to think about. This is why I hate KSU right now. They're being mindless of thinking that they can sustain their skaters on their own in Korea which is not true because there was never an optimal environment for figure skating. Right now, I think they're even relying too much of Yuna to help the figure skaters.

Other note: Just noticed that So Youn's fan thread has been gearing on the dark side of things. I'm sorry! I'll post something more llight-hearted next time.

Barb

Record Breaker
*** if they want yuna resolve their problems at least they should name her president of korean federation.
I understand if so youn want to be at home but if they dont have good conditions should go to another place, at least just her who is the most talented korean competing

Meoima

Match Penalty
Other note: Just noticed that So Youn's fan thread has been gearing on the dark side of things. I'm sorry! I'll post something more llight-hearted next time.
ITA. Complaining about KSU doesn't help So Youn. I hope she can go against all odds and make a name for herself in FS map. I hope KSU will do something for her at least for the next 4 years since they are going to host Olympics.

I live in East Asia, not too far from Korea so I hope to visit the next Olympic and watch So Youn and other skaters live. That would be nice. :) I have a friend in college who happens to be Korean, visiting him by that time would be nice as well.

I also hope next year she will be assigned to Cup of China, very near where I live. :)

Ayeshoo

On the Ice
I read before that the quality of those skating rinks in Korea are not so good. Like that time Yuna competed in during nationals and slipped before her first jumping pass (in Kiss of the Vampire).

How did you know Yuna supports them financially? Just curious. Wow. That is so generous of her. She's really like a big sister to them.

sunnystars

#teamotherskaters
Record Breaker
ITA. Complaining about KSU doesn't help So Youn. I hope she can go against all odds and make a name for herself in FS map. I hope KSU will do something for her at least for the next 4 years since they are going to host Olympics.

I live in East Asia, not too far from Korea so I hope to visit the next Olympic and watch So Youn and other skaters live. That would be nice. :) I have a friend in college who happens to be Korean, visiting him by that time would be nice as well.

I also hope next year she will be assigned to Cup of China, very near where I live. :)

Lol I know but the KSU always comeback tho...and it's cool that you're planning your Olympic trip already! you lucky duck :laugh:
Oh and I wish she gets CoC too! Zijun mostly competes at CoC and I would love to see more of their budding friendship.

How did you know Yuna supports them financially? Just curious. Wow. That is so generous of her. She's really like a big sister to them.

Okay I may have dramatized a bit with her funding their summer training but it is very plausible that she did as she was the one reported to be coaching the SK's competitive skaters (Da Bin, So Youn, Hae Jin, and maybe Jin Seo) while not having the other main korean coaches around. Do note that this was before she participated in the coaching seminars. Also, KSU's website didn't also talk or report about it (quite odd) which also probably points out that Yuna concocted the trip on her own.

yyyskate

Record Breaker
SoYoun and Zijun will meet at this year's WC. I am already excited for those off-ice photos of them together (perhaps on ice photo too). Y know we have a very reliable banquet photographer around :laugh:

sunnystars

#teamotherskaters
Record Breaker
SoYoun and Zijun will meet at this year's WC. I am already excited for those off-ice photos of them together (perhaps on ice photo too). Y know we have a very reliable banquet photographer around :laugh:

I wonder who that photographer is :laugh: I will expect a lot of selfies and fun group pics in Shanghai then

Just want to do a Throwback Tuesday! Here is 15 year old So Youn :)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=opz_atvO758

ps. it's a mini documentary of her figure skating life in SK