soi fans | Page 2 | Golden Skate

soi fans

Kasey

Medalist
I would agree with Abt also...however, I think Yags has a contract through this season...I wonder if they would pull on another Russian male skater? Just not sure how that works. I would LOVE to have Abt and Yagudin on the same tour! (Would go to more than just two shows!)

I think Katia and Kurt are great guest stars to keep. I would like Roca and Sur again also. I think they need another full time ladies skater (if they keep Yuka for the next season, I HOPE I HOPE I HOPE, she's fantastic!) I would love to see Bobek on the tour, or Galindo, but I guess they are hooked to COI.

Get us a little bit of Joe Sabovcik, and Laurent Tobel!!! :)

Kasey

Longhornliz

Final Flight
This is a dumb question... but what is the difference between soi and coi? I have seen a coi show, and it was amazing they had both illia and tara on the same ticket in the season immediately after the olympics.

Becca84

Rinkside
It's not a stupid question to fans of SOI.

SOI is short for Stars on Ice. SOI was founded bt Scott Hamilton, & is a skating show that tours the country. Most of the skaters on this tour are retired from eligible skating & the show tours through out the competetive season.

COI is short for Champions on Ice. COI is made up of mostly eligible skaters, & it's more like an exhibition than "show". COI tours through out the country, but w/ fewer stops & it runs during the beginning of the off season. & there's your differences.

polo player

Spectator
Haven't seen COI yet this season, but SOI was pretty good this year - I don't know - a little slow in places though....zzzz.....

I would like to see some NEW BLOOD! Someone we haven't seen or who has been under utilized in the past - Oksana
was a bit of a disappointment - don't know why - but surprised to like Yuka and Katia better - at least during this season's numbers that were presented.

Of course would love to see that swiss spinner girl - Lucinda -
again and for the men - yes, Alexander Abt would be a marvelous idea - don't know why he is so popular in Japan and Europe but
you almost never get to see him in the U.S. - that would be
new and different and I'd buy a ticket just to see him - have
already seen everybody else it seems a zillion times.

So...SOI - COI - whoever - get that spinner girl and Sasha Abt!

Jaana

Record Breaker
Country
Finland
Longhornliz said:
I have seen a coi show, and it was amazing they had both illia and tara on the same ticket in the season immediately after the olympics.

Tara and Ilia both did the whole Champions On Ice tour in 1998 and they both joined Stars On Ice and toured with them for four seasons.

I would love to have Ilia back in SOI (what an asset he was also in ensemble skating!!!) and I also think that Tara had show talents needed in SOI. I wonder though if because of her injuries she will ever be able to make the SOI tour again?

Marjaana

brenlynn

On the Ice
I would love for Tara to be healthy enough to come back to SOI, she really was an asset to the tour. I miss her :(

I'd like to see Oksana back, Jennifer Robinson, and Shae would be loverly.

I hope Kurt stays as a guest!!

Gardenkitty

Rinkside
I believe Todd Eldredge signed a 6 year contract after the 2002 Olympics, so we can expect to see him as part of the main cast for a few years. I think he's sort of taking the scott/kurt role in the show.

For guest stars, I liked all the men this year. Paul may not have all the jumps, but it was a treat to see him on the ice. Kurt is amazing and always fun - I hope he'll do some of the shows again. Scott isn't my fave, but a lot of people love him and he always gets a huge reaction.

I would love to see them add Ilia Kulik as a guest star - he's an incredible skater and the audiences are familiar with him. Plus since he toured with them before, I think he'd fit well into the cast. Abt would also be a good choice now that he's pro.

For the ladies, Katia's programs aren't my faves, but she's been a part of the show for so long that I'm always happy to see her. Kristi is a real treat and I was thrilled to get her for my guest star, but I"m not sure if she'll be willing to do more seasons. I loved seeing Yuka on the tour, but if she won't do a full tour, I'd love her as a guest star.

Shae Lynn is getting great reviews for her CSOI solo number and I think she'd fit in well with the show as a guest. She's said she didn't want to do a full tour as long as SOI, but she might do a guest role.

I wasn't that thrilled with Oksana's skating, but audiences seem to love her and she has a lot of fans. Plus she has an appealing personality that seems to fit in with the cast.

If they can't get Yuka for the whole season, I'd love to see Jennifer Robinson signed for the tour. I don't know that she has the name appeal for the US, but I think she does well with show skating and she is such a sweet person that she'd fit in well. She's already toured with most of them from CSOI.

heyang

Record Breaker
The key difference between COI and SOI is the management companies. All skaters who skate in SOI are represented by IMG where as all COI skaters are represented by Tom Collins Management group. That's one of the reasons why we won't see MK with SOI (the main reason is that the USFSA doesn't sanction SOI). Also, since IMG produces many of the 'pro' events, that's why we mostly see SOI skaters at these events.

The guest stars were brought to the show because of name recognition - thus, Scott, Kristi, Paul, Kurt, Katia and Oksana were the guests. The old-timers were needed to boost ticket sales. They are the stars from the peak of skating's popularity that are represented by IMG.

The core cast (S/P, B/S, I/Z, M/S, Alexei, Todd, Yuka) are not well known to people who only watch skating during the Olympics. Even the though there are 3Oly gold medals in the core - they don't have name recognition. Sad to say, people remember the judging scandal, but probably don't remember the names of the 2 pairs involved - it's just 'the Canadian couple and the Russian couple' to most. Many people in the general population in the US think that MK has won Oly Gold. I thought attendence at this year's SOI in Trenton was higher than last years - there seemed to be fewer empty seats.

Anyway , back on topic.
I would loved to see Kazakova/Dimitriev, Michelle (if she ever goes pro), Punsalan & Swallow, Shae-Lynn, Josee Chounard, & BRIAN BOITANO skate with SOI. Boitano's probably the one skater that I love that i have not seen live.

hockeyfan228

Record Breaker
Abt and Kulik. Abt and Kulik. Abt and Kulik.

Nikodinov and Maniachenko, whenever they leave the eligible ranks.

D&V, if they decide not to come back to eligible skating. K&O, even if they only want to guest.

It would also be nice if some of the eligible foreign skaters who train in the US part- or full-time (and don't need USFSA approval) could guest. The audience reaction might be surprising, and if they could win over the crowds by co-guesting with a Baiul or a Browning, they could slot into regular spots at the end of their eligible careers. Skaters like Grushina/Goncharov -- Wing/Lowe would be a good stylistic contrast to them -- The Murv, van der Perren, Joubert (working with Christopher Dean might loosen up his style), not to mention the rest of the Tarasova stable.

O&A_Sisters

Spectator
PLEASE, invite SASHA ABT!!!

He is a GREAT skater, very gifted and skilled! His live skating is always UNFORGETTABLE BEAUTY:love: He is always different and genious. That's why he's in hearts of thousands of people - unique and irreplaceable.
Let us ask You again, PLEASE, invite Sasha! People deserve seeing one of the best Artists on the ice:D

Wynninal

Spectator
I would love to see Jenni and Todd return. My understanding is that they would like to start a family, but with regard to SOI, it's more about being offered a chance to return. If you want them back, let SOI/IMG know. Write, call, e-mail . . .

I would also truly enjoy seeing Roca & Sur return, but Gorsha is taking classes at law school. I don't know that he would be willing to tour again. Our loss!

I would not particularly care to see Oksana as a full-time member of the cast. Her technical ability has not returned and, she still has too much "diva attitude" for my taste.

They definitely need more women. Keep Yuka and add others.