Sota Yamamoto | Page 54 | Golden Skate

Sota Yamamoto

rRainbow

On the Ice
Country
Japan
Iizuka Cup is not taking place anymore?
Iizuka Cup will be held from Aug. 5 thru 8 in Iizuka city, Fukuoka, Japan.
The organizer of the 2021 Iizuka Cup states that only skaters who belong to the federation of Kansai region and regions west of Kansai (Kansai, Chubu, Shikoku and Kyushu) are eligible to compete there. Since Nagoya is in Kinki, east of Kansai, Kinki, Kanto, Tohoku and Hokkaido skaters are excluded. Therefore, Sota will not be at Iizuka Cup.

Last edited:

KiraraChin

Medalist
Thanks for info, rRainbow! I think it makes sense for Sota to skip the Gensan Summer Cup, since it seems his coaching situation isn't fully resolved yet. However, I do hope he gets the support he needs sooner, rather than later :pray:

surimi

Congrats to Sota, #10 in World Standings!
Record Breaker
Iizuka Cup will be held from Aug. 5 thru 8 in Iizuka city, Fukuoka, Japan.
The organizer of the 2021 Iizuka Cup states that only skaters who belong to the federation of Kansai region and regions west of Kansai (Kansai, Chubu, Shikoku and Kyushu) are eligible to compete there. Since Nagoya is in Kinki, east of Kansai, Kinki, Kanto, Tohoku and Hokkaido skaters are excluded. Therefore, Sota will not be at Iizuka Cup.

Wait, what? Sota has always gone to Chuubu regionals, never to Kinki...?
Anyhow, is Keiji, who usually competes at Kinki regionals, eligible for Iizuka? I think he is. There are a few top men who aren't entered in Gensan, Keiji, Shun and Mitsuki among them. Shun can't go to Iizuka as he's in East Japan, but I think Keiji can, and I don't know about Mitsuki. Tatsuya is entered in Nagoya FS competition, but Sota isn't.
A part of me wonders if Sota might actually still be planning a return to Nishinomiya. He loved it there and he liked the coach, and now he has the same GP as Keiji; he seems evasive about his training base eventhough he's had half a year to make a move and he has to know he's out of his depth on his own in Chukyo; now he's not at Gensan (though I think the last one is more due to his FS being not ready)... So I ask, do we know who all is going to Iizuka?

-----------------

And here is Sota's new JFed profile:
Nice photo :) If he decides to let his hair live one day, it'll be perfect , but so far I'm happy he's at least not dyeing it anymore ^ ^
His hobbies list says 'watching Netflix, eating, games' this time. Well, it's a relief that Sota is hopefully not among those threatened by eating disorders! I miss 'walking' and 'singing' though 😁

Last edited:

rRainbow

On the Ice
Country
Japan
Wait, what? Sota has always gone to Chuubu regionals, never to Kinki...?
Sorrry, my mistake. Nagoya is in Chubu, not Kinki.
Another correction: West of Kansai is Chugoku (not Chubu), Shikoku & Kyushu. Assuming Keiji belongs to Okayama, he belongs to Chugoku region,

BTW, the difference between Kansai and Kinki is whether Mie Prefecture is included.
Kansai: Osaka, Kyoto, Hyogo, Shiga, Wakayama & Nara
Kinki: Osaka, Kyoto, Hyogo, Shiga, Wakayama, Nara & Mie

Last edited:

surimi

Record Breaker
Sorrry, my mistake. Nagoya is in Chubu, not Kinki.
Another correction: West of Kansai is Chugoku (not Chubu), Shikoku & Kyushu. Assuming Keiji belongs to Okayama, he belongs to Chugoku region,

BTW, the difference between Kansai and Kinki is whether Mie Prefecture is included.
Kansai: Osaka, Kyoto, Hyogo, Shiga, Wakayama & Nara
Kinki: Osaka, Kyoto, Hyogo, Shiga, Wakayama, Nara & Mie

Okay, thanks for the explanation. That settles it, I guess! Even if Sota changed his base to Nishinomiya, he wouldn't be able to compete at Iizuka because he formally represents Aichi, because he studies at Chukyo. Right?

It's still a mystery whether Sota and Mitsuki will be able to compete this summer. With Sota, I am not all that surprised, but Mitsuki probably has his programs all finished by now. Hmm...

rRainbow

On the Ice
Country
Japan
Even if Sota changed his base to Nishinomiya, he wouldn't be able to compete at Iizuka because he formally represents Aichi, because he studies at Chukyo. Right?
It looks that way. Sota represents Chukyo University and he does not have any sponsors. Yamaha gives him grant money but that doesn't mean he belongs to Yamaha. I'm not sure if he is back to school or still on a leave, but regardless of his status, he is a Chukyo University student until he graduates.

surimi

Record Breaker
OMG, Sota should totally send these greetings out, like Kazuki does! Only... he won't, he's too shy I guess ^ ^ But good to see the inner artist in him :D I think he's quite talented at drawing, actually! First he enjoys singing aloud, now he draws! I approve ^ ^ OT, but the cat looks just like one of my family's Xmas cookies, lol (cat head cutter).
Anyhow, good to see a sign of life from him, even if it's actually Figure Skating Life magazine's initiative. :p

Last edited:

surimi

Record Breaker
No real news, but The Ice is about to begin, so I thought I'd share this blog entry: https://ameblo.jp/kmn-psn/entry-12689017686.html
The first half is especially amusing. I have to say that in the group practice of the 'sexy pose', Sota wins for me - his pose is easily the most elegant one there. I think Pasquale sensei would be happy to see the progress Sota has made to engage his whole body, I recall he struggled with this exact thing when learning the choreo for his 2019/20 programs. The closeup photo is really nice, Sota looks well-fed around the cheeks (lol, I approve!), content and healthy.
Also, the photomanip of Sota and the OG gold gymnast is hilarious! They certainly look alike, I have noticed as much too when watching OG coverages. The guy looks like a super muscular version of Sota ^ ^ Our TV commentators called him 'slender' - IDK what they'd call Sota in that case. :ROFLMAO:

ETA: Another talk show with Sota! This one is planned for the end of August: https://twitter.com/fskating_Life/status/1420942345336344581 :hap10:This time with Kazuki and Sena.

Last edited:

surimi

Record Breaker
:palmf: :palmf: :palmf: I hope this is just a joke. Anthem could help him in the fight for OG spots and building self-confidence. A whiny slow tune without grandeur, like Yesterday or You're Beautiful? For Sota's skating and expression skills, IMO it's not even good as a gala. I don't even need to see the program, or know which remake (shudder) he chose, to say that. If it's not a gala or a bad joke, I am starting to think Sota has been gradually losing his once impeccable taste in music. Disappointment. If it's not actually a version of *the* Yesterday but maybe some weird modern tune, then maaaybe he could pull it off. But if not - after struggling to skate to Air because he correctly realized the whiny violin and little build-up did not suit his skating (as he himself admitted) - he now repeats the same mistake, and hopes for a different result? Sorry, that's what they say is the definition of madness... And Air still sounded like a symphony to my ears compared to the versions of Yesterday I have heard over the years. Ugh. I still support Sota's skating, but I cannot support this choice. Bring back whoever chose the music for Sota's junior programs!

KiraraChin

Medalist
Sorry, Surimi, but from what I read, it seems that 'Yesterday' is really his new SP, and he's using Michael Bolton's version: https://youtu.be/WxkReBVUt0g
I agree Anthem was a much better choice for him 😢

These are the programme jumps from one of yesterday's shows: 3A 3S 3Lz (source: https://twitter.com/v44_0o/status/1421329996384071692) It implies a watered-down content, maybe with just one quad (4S) and a backloaded 3lz3T combo? I hope this means he's deliberately choosing to aim for consistency, rather than doing easier content because he's injured :pray:

surimi

Record Breaker
I always hope for the best for Sota's legs, so adding a prayer for them never hurts; however, something may be amiss with his boots or outfit, as he had a tape around his right boot's ankle in the group photos. That may have been the reason for him simplifying content, though I can't be sure.
I am no happier than yesterday. I played the version of Yesterday this is supposed to be on YT, and had to stop a few seconds into it. It was unbearable. The man has a terrible rasping voice, like he's 90+ and short of breath. I cannot think of a bigger mismatch for Sota's skating. I suppose this is one of Sota's bright ideas of making his skating powerful and manly - after all, I hear he went for a minimalistic black costume as well. Frankly, I wouldn't be surprised if he actually wanted to be like Nathan and Vincent who he seems to admire and who would do well with a song like this. But I would be very surprised indeed if he can pull it off. His strength is the beauty and delicateness of his skating, and this ugly song will likely do those qualities no service. I am very frustrated, sad and desperate to see his music choices go downhill year by year, and it hurts me as a fan to see him sabotage his own career like this. If he messes up Skate Canada by feeling uncomfortable in this wheezy whiny flat song, it may be the last time we see him on the GP stage, I fear. JMO, other fans may disagree. But I think this song will do him no favors, and he should go back to his safe Anthem.

KiraraChin

Medalist
I always hope for the best for Sota's legs, so adding a prayer for them never hurts; however, something may be amiss with his boots or outfit, as he had a tape around his right boot's ankle in the group photos. That may have been the reason for him simplifying content, though I can't be sure.
Oh, that makes sense, then! Yeah, it could totally be a boots issue.

About the Yesterday... I hope he realises it's not really a great choice and goes back to Anthem. Let's pray :pray:

surimi

Record Breaker
So, anyone surprised that there is no Sota news still? :laugh2: Sota is his usual mysterious self, hiding and tight-lipped : https://ameblo.jp/kmn-psn/image-12691277727-14984510940.html His fans can't share the factual info because of the online talkshow info embargo.
Still, here's at least a photo of Sota in black outfit, skating to Yesterday (still hate that song, but have to cheer for Sota) : https://stat.ameba.jp/user_images/20210802/23/shelley39/7e/7b/j/o0653091514981423663.jpg?caw=800 and https://stat.ameba.jp/user_images/20210808/13/shelley39/ab/64/j/o0483072114983888807.jpg?caw=800 .
And, there has been some vague mention on social media suggesting that his programs may have been done by Mihoko sensei, Shoma's previous coach. Or it might have been speculation. No idea. If Sota was there, I would be happy, but I guess it will take a while before his new coaching team is announced. At least until all tickets for onsen talkshow replays have been sold out :laugh:

surimi

Record Breaker
Squee! This is one of the programs I have dreamed of for Sota. I hope he chooses a version sung by an actual Italian opera singer, Bocelli's version ideally, and not a remake. The old choking hyena voice, excuse me, Bolton's voice, was a nasty shock for me, so I'm in sore need of some beautiful manly singing to go with Sota's grand skating.

BTW I had the chance to see some now-deleted Twitter footage of The Ice group number, and Sota's dancing skills really surprised me in a positive way. He used to be shy, and now he's mostly moving to music naturally and elegantly, and with a sassy swing that even Keiji could not match. I was very pleased with what I saw from Sota. But that was the group number, I haven't seen his 'Yesterday' ;)
You can see some footage of the group number here - https://youtu.be/0HgtFUpUl9o - though with different music (I think) because of copyright. Isn't Sota surprisingly good? 😎

rRainbow

On the Ice
Country
Japan
FS seems to be 'Io Ci Saro' (but not sure which version/cut)
According to a Japanese skating fan blogger, it is by Andrea Bocelli, but I don't know if it's a fact or speculation. Bocelli's version was used in competition before:

surimi

Record Breaker
Sota is now in funding list A. Congratulations! 💐 I hope this helps him pay off moving back to Nagoya, and fhis new Tokai training team.
My anger at JSF remains the same though, unless they magically manage to send everyone to late Challengers. It will still not be enough to take away the two years of limbo for the poor juniors, but it could help the seniors at least. Like Sota. I mean, I would be super happy if he was in top 8 at Skate Canada, but if he's not then he'll need another event. :pray:

surimi

Record Breaker
Yay, Sota has been assigned to Japan Open. Congrats! 🍾
I wonder if he'll be on the same team as his Chukyo senpai Shoma, and/or his friend Kazuki.
I can't wait to hopefully find his FS leaked somewhere, no matter if it's from JO or Chubu.