South Korea to Host 2018 Winter Olympic Games | Page 4 | Golden Skate

South Korea to Host 2018 Winter Olympic Games

prettykeys

Medalist
The unification of Korea is a pipe dream so long as China continues to prop the North's regime.
I definitely thought about the effect of the PRC's continued existence and support and the possibility of it being one of the major reasons for N. Korea continuing to be around, and the potential difficulties that has for reunification of Korea. West/East Germany was cited for comparison, but let's not forget that it happened after the disintegration of the USSR. I am not arguing that I necessarily hope for the PRC to break-up, just pointing out how it poses yet another unique challenge to the task.

whole post
Very interesting. Thanks for sharing. And yes, I have definitely been one of those people who can't wait for Kim Jong-Il to keel over already. I worry that his appointed heir-son (the younger one) might want to continue the dynasty and that the other politicals might be loyal to him, but I'm hoping that it won't be as such.

To be on topic, I'm sure North Koreans love Yuna too, and are proud of her as one of their own. They will just fall harder for her if given the chance to know her as much as their Southern folks do.
The general population, probably. ;) The politically-involved, definitely not, as she is yet another representation of the progress and success of the South.

Here is another bit of figure skating trivia for you - at their second Olympic medal ceremony, Berezhnaya was singing the new words whereas Sikhuralidze was singing the old :)
Cute!

let`s talk

Match Penalty
I am forever grateful to the U.S.A. because it never had a moral obligation to the Koreans to intervene, but it did, and it was good for the S. Korean people.
Yeah, Operation Killer, Operation Ripper... Who did they kill and rip I wonder.

let`s talk

Match Penalty
I believe it was Olympia who wrote the sense of pride she felt seeing the active role the US military took aiding Japan.
The tragic suffering caused by the tsunami several years ago was greatly reduced by aid brought to many thousands of people by the US military.
I was driving near Zama camp just yesterday. The protesters were on their duty like they were before the quake, with their "No Welcome" and even the stuff with f-word was around, which is rather unusual for generally polite Japanese. For your records some elderlies in shelters refused to take any kind of US help. US troops are absolutely not welcome in Japan, not before the quake, not after. I have never met any Japanese of any age who wouldn't feel annoyed by the US military presence in Japan. And I have been here long enough. Moreover, the US didn't aid any more to the people of Japan than anyone else in the world. I have no idea why some Americans are so desperate to feel like some major World Savior. Must be some psychological issue. :laugh:

janetfan

Match Penalty
I was driving near Zama camp just yesterday. The protesters were on their duty like they were before the quake, with their "No Welcome" and even the stuff with f-word was around, which is rather unusual for generally polite Japanese. For your records some elderlies in shelters refused to take any kind of US help. US troops are absolutely not welcome in Japan, not before the quake, not after. I have never met any Japanese of any age who wouldn't feel annoyed by the US military presence in Japan. And I have been here long enough. Moreover, the US didn't aid any more to the people of Japan than anyone else in the world. I have no idea why some Americans are so desperate to feel like some major World Savior. Must be some psychological issue. :laugh:

^^Talk about someone with some big pyschological issues :sheesh:

A nice thing to see at the Women's World Cup has been after their games the Japanese team has help up a banner that thanks the friends of Japan for their support.

http://www.fifa.com/womensworldcup/news/newsid=1463692/index.html

"This whole campaign is a good opportunity for us to show our gratitude to the world."
Homare Sawa, Japan captain.

Last edited:

Krislite

Medalist

So places like China and the Philippines or even Madagascar all contributed the same amount of money and technical resources? I must say I never knew about that...

As for the US presence in Japan, well, you see, the Japanese went about in the early 20th century conquering all of Asia, part of which involved destroying a rather famous U.S. naval base.

let`s talk

Match Penalty
^^Talk about someone with some big pyschological issues :sheesh:
Fine. According to you Japanese who don't support the US military presence in the country are people with psychogical issues. Almost all the country.:laugh:

A nice thing to see at the Women's World Cup has been after their games the Japanese team has help up a banner that thanks the friends of Japan for their support.
The same banners were in Moscow and will be in all major sport competitions in the nearest future. We are talking about the US army in Japan here, not about general world help. Stay focused.  

bigsisjiejie

Record Breaker

Does this have some relevance to the topic of South Korea hosting the 2018 Winter Olympics? If so, please make the connection for those of us that can't "stay focused."

let`s talk

Match Penalty
So places like China and the Philippines or even Madagascar all contributed the same amount of money and technical resources? I must say I never knew about that...
Now you do. "Not any more aid to people of Japan" was about the efforts and propotions. Maybe for Madagascar the amount of money they sent was a heavier stuff than the US equivalent for the US. Lovely to see how you people always switch everything in "amount of money." You mean you paid for something? Oh, please.. take you "help" back.

As for the US presence in Japan, well, you see, the Japanese went about in the early 20th century conquering all of Asia, part of which involved destroying a rather famous U.S. naval base.
Germany did the same if not worse. There are no military bases established after the WWII in Germany anymore. The war is over. Move on. Spend money on your health care. You need it more than to be present in the places where you are not welcome.

Krislite

Medalist
Fine. According to you Japanese who don't support the US military presence in the country are people with psychogical issues. Almost all the country.:laugh:

The same banners were in Moscow and will be in all major sport competitions in the nearest future. We are talking about the US army in Japan here, not about general world help. Stay focused.  

I believe Hernando was referring to you, not the Japanese. You may claim to speak for all of Japan, but please don't order us to "stay focused" considering the topic of this thread is not about the US military in Japan.

Krislite

Medalist
Now you do. "Not any more aid to people of Japan" was about the efforts and propotions. Maybe for Madagascar the amount of money they sent was a heavier stuff than the US equivalent for the US. Lovely to see how you people always switch everything in "amount of money." You mean you paid for something? Oh, please.. take you "help" back.

Germany did the same if not worse. There are no military bases established after the WWII in Germany anymore. The war is over. Move on. Spend money on your health care. You need it more than to be present in the places where you are not welcome.

You are wrong. There are US military bases in Germany, and have been there since the end of WWII.

prettykeys

Medalist
I can attest to hearing about what let`s talk speaks of. There is at least some Japanese resentment of the U.S. military's presence in Japan.

let`s talk

Match Penalty
I believe Hernando was referring to you, not the Japanese. You may claim to speak for all of Japan, but please don't order us to "stay focused" considering the topic of this thread is not about the US military in Japan.
No, you are wrong. His post was as if I talk about someone with some psychological issues. And I was speaking about Japanese. That's first. Second, the US military presence in Japan was brought to this thread by Hernando. I merely replied. That is what is forum for. Deal with it. Or don't. Ignore button is available.
You are wrong. There are US military bases in Germany, and have been there since the end of WWII.
LOL. Obviously I mean the military bases of those to whom "Germany did the same if not worse." Surely not to Americans.

Krislite

Medalist
I can attest to hearing about what let`s talk speaks of. There is at least some Japanese resentment of the U.S. military's presence in Japan.

No one here denies this. I'm sure we're all aware of it. The Japanese protest and resentment of those bases are on the news here occasionally, with coverage of the talks involved in moving them elsewhere (Guam, et al). Let's talk's flippant disparagement of US aid to Japan is quite something. And he/she's gone so far as to say "take your help back" because I mentioned "money", which was only a part of the aid package. Many things sent over were foodstuff and other supplies, besides money and personnel resources.

In any case I'm done with this sidetrack.

Soviet/ Russian anthem has a funny history. The late poet Mikhalkov composed words to three (yes, 3!) versions of the anthem. The first one was commissioned in 1944 as WWII was winding down and mentioned Stalin as well as Lenin as in:
Through storms the sun of freedom has shined upon us,
And the great Lenin has lighted the way
Stalin has taught us faithfulness to the people,
To labour, and inspired us to great feats!

It was also very much a wartime anthem as in:
We brought our army to the battles.
We shall brave the despicable invaders from the street!
In battles we shall decide the fate of generations,
We shall lead to the glory of the Motherland!

Since de-Stalinization in 1953 to 1977, the anthem actually had no words. Then, in 1977, it was altered by taking Stalin out along with the more belligerent symbolism. For example, the part that used to mention Stalin now became:
Through tempests the sun of freedom shone to us,
And the great Lenin lighted us the way.
He raised peoples to the righteous cause,
Inspired us to labour and to acts of heroism

After the fall of USSR, there was much debate on the new anthem. In the spirit of the 90's, there was a near universal agreement on a completely different tune; Yeltsin' choice fell on the classic Glinka's "Patriotic Song". It was performed without words, and contests were held for appropriate lyrics. And then, of course, Mr. Putin came to power. He resurrected the old warhorse and, bypassing all contests, asked Mikhalkov to bring the anthem into the 21st century. The near-senile poet did so, giving us the memorable words such as (this is that same part that used to mention Stalin in 1944):
From the southern seas to the polar lands
Spread our forests and fields.
You are unique in the world, one of a kind –
Native land protected by God!

Here is another bit of figure skating trivia for you - at their second Olympic medal ceremony, Berezhnaya was singing the new words whereas Sikhuralidze was singing the old :)

What a cool story! And I didn't realize that Berezhnaya and Sikhuralidze were singing different words to the anthem in SLC. I do remember that Sikhuralidze had a kind of teasing grin on his face, as though he were feeling especially lighthearted at the moment. Maybe that was part of the reason.

I wonder whether Sale and Pelletier also sang different lyrics. In Canada, there are (I believe) both English and French lyrics to "O Canada." So people in a large crowd are often singing in both languages at once.

As for American troops in Japan, I can understand why Japanese people wouldn't like it, and I certainly wish we were not in so many places in the world. And I'm tired of paying for it out of my own pocket. But I respect our troops for serving our country, whether or not I always agree with the policy they're carrying out. And when we do do something humanitarian with our military equipment and personnel, I'm proud of it, as I'm also proud of the Philippines and Madagascar for pitching in.

The fact is, I'm not sure there is a country that's completely pure. (Costa Rica might come close.) Countries with more power are by definition less pure. In addition to sovereign states in this world, a lot of damage is done by entities that are not under any state's dominion—multinational corporations. Oil companies, industrial giants, financial institutions, and as we have seen in the past weeks, media conglomerates. This is the world. Of course we have to stand up against injustices, but if we want a country that's noble through and through, probably we have to find the way to Middle-Earth during the reign of Aragorn, or Narnia.

prettykeys

Medalist
What a cool story! And I didn't realize that Berezhnaya and Sikhuralidze were singing different words to the anthem in SLC. I do remember that Sikhuralidze had a kind of teasing grin on his face, as though he were feeling especially lighthearted at the moment. Maybe that was part of the reason.
:) They are one of my favourite Pairs.

I wonder whether Sale and Pelletier also sang different lyrics. In Canada, there are (I believe) both English and French lyrics to "O Canada." So people in a large crowd are often singing in both languages at once.
Haha, I never thought of that! In French class we learned the French version. There is also a strange hybrid version that mixes the English and French parts, I like that one the least. :laugh:

As for American troops in Japan, I can understand why Japanese people wouldn't like it, and I certainly wish we were not in so many places in the world. And I'm tired of paying for it out of my own pocket. But I respect our troops for serving our country, whether or not I always agree with the policy they're carrying out. And when we do do something humanitarian with our military equipment and personnel, I'm proud of it, as I'm also proud of the Philippines and Madagascar for pitching in.
Yes. I understand the Japanese sentiment, but it's hard for me not to be biased in favour of the U.S. in this situation because of my background. On another forum, one American soldier told the story of how he was stationed in Japan and had to endure being yelled at, hostile looks, and the occasional spit. "Yankee, go home!" When he was moved to Korea, sometimes he would get curious looks or stares from some of the younger Koreans, but the older ones wanted to shake his hand.

My own mother tells me that in the early years after the Korean War, she met an American soldier who was eating a sandwich. She was very hungry as there wasn't enough to eat, but she was also too embarrassed to ask for a bite and couldn't speak English well. Nonetheless, the soldier gave her half of his sandwich, and she noted that he ate it cleanly like a cat, while she dropped little bits here and there. :biggrin: Sometimes, during sporting events, the arrogance of the younger Koreans comes out (I'm not that old, either, in my twenties, and younger than some of them, but anyway) when they mock or feel hostile towards American athletes (e.g. a skit they once did on the field when they played against the American soccer team during the 2002 World Cup.) It makes me mad. If they knew even a little bit of our history, the least they should afford is some sportsmanship.

The fact is, I'm not sure there is a country that's completely pure. (Costa Rica might come close.) Countries with more power are by definition less pure. In addition to sovereign states in this world, a lot of damage is done by entities that are not under any state's dominion—multinational corporations. Oil companies, industrial giants, financial institutions, and as we have seen in the past weeks, media conglomerates. This is the world. Of course we have to stand up against injustices, but if we want a country that's noble through and through, probably we have to find the way to Middle-Earth during the reign of Aragorn, or Narnia.
Yes.

Costa Rica is on my next-vacation list of choices. Heard it's gorgeous there, and the locals are very easy-going. :)

prettykeys

Medalist
Sorry for double-posting, but I had an amusing thought. My two favourite pairs, Berezhnaya/Sikharulidze, and Shen/Zhao, come from the nations that politically-speaking I have been so much against.

Ptichka

Forum translator
Record Breaker
Sorry for double-posting, but I had an amusing thought. My two favourite pairs, Berezhnaya/Sikharulidze, and Shen/Zhao, come from the nations that politically-speaking I have been so much against.
I wish this were just a coincident. Totalitarian regimes not only have the ability to have the best athletic programs - they can also offer the best incentives.

About foreign troops permanently garrisoned on your county's home soil, I don't think any nation's citizens like it.

What would be the reaction in the United States if Venezuela decided to establish a military presence in Kansas City, Missouri, to protect Venezuelian interests, or if Turkey sent a couple of battalions to Yuma, Arizona, to keep the peace?