Star Power and Endorsements | Page 5 | Golden Skate

Star Power and Endorsements

anonymoose_au

Insert weird opinion here
Record Breaker
Country
Australia
Back in the day before advertising for Mercedes and whatnot Plushy did ads for Chupa-Chups, which was just so hilarious. I wonder how much he got paid for that...or perhaps he only got lollipops for his trouble. :laugh:

But yeah Plushy has advertised many a random thing from Dilmah Tea to Vicks Vapour-Rub! Once he even had his own cologne, which was advertised by this most epic of epic ads. Good times good times.

plushyfan

Record Breaker
Country
Hungary
Back in the day before advertising for Mercedes and whatnot Plushy did ads for Chupa-Chups, which was just so hilarious. I wonder how much he got paid for that...or perhaps he only got lollipops for his trouble. :laugh:

But yeah Plushy has advertised many a random thing from Dilmah Tea to Vicks Vapour-Rub! Once he even had his cologne, which was advertised by this most epic of epic ads. Good times good times.

No. Out of the question..:biggrin:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QigMQ9Vh668 Bingo Boom is a cute one!

Abraxis12345

Final Flight
I have a friend who used to work at IMG and was responsible for “packaging” the talent to potential sponsors. He said that the window for Olympic athletes after the games is only 3 months after the games and afterwards the value decreases rapidly. He also told me that they use DBI to asses the marketability of athletes and during Sochi, Gracie and Ashley’s DBI scores were was not higher than Yamaguchi’s score at the time, despite Kristi being 20 years removed from her victory.

Moxiejan

Medalist
Country
United-States
He also told me that they use DBI to asses the marketability of athletes and during Sochi, Gracie and Ashley’s DBI scores were not higher than Yamaguchi’s score at the time, despite Kristi being 20 years removed from her victory.

Kristi's score was likely boosted more by her 2008 win on "Dancing With the Stars" than by her Olympic win.

cruzceleste

Record Breaker
I have a friend who used to work at IMG and was responsible for “packaging” the talent to potential sponsors. He said that the window for Olympic athletes after the games is only 3 months after the games and afterwards the value decreases rapidly. He also told me that they use DBI to asses the marketability of athletes and during Sochi, Gracie and Ashley’s DBI scores were was not higher than Yamaguchi’s score at the time, despite Kristi being 20 years removed from her victory.

Really interesting to know

thedude

On the Ice

That's why I said Nathan missed his chance this time. He had a good chance to medal and didn't. He missed his window for this Olympic season. I think Sotnikova in her recent interview that even in Russia where she won gold, figure skaters lose popularity fast.

Here's two articles worth reading
http://www.latimes.com/business/la-fi-olympics-athletes-endorsements-20180223-story.html
http://www.chicagotribune.com/business/ct-biz-olympic-athlete-sponsorships-20180216-story.html

cruzceleste

Record Breaker
That's why I said Nathan missed his chance this time. He had a good chance to medal and didn't. He missed his window for this Olympic season. I think Sotnikova in her recent interview that even in Russia where she won gold, figure skaters lose popularity fast.

Here's two articles worth reading
http://www.latimes.com/business/la-fi-olympics-athletes-endorsements-20180223-story.html
http://www.chicagotribune.com/business/ct-biz-olympic-athlete-sponsorships-20180216-story.html

Thank you, really interesting articles.

But even in one of them say that Nathan can play the long game, but likely would have to wait until 2021-2022 for major sponsor opportunities, if I understand correctly what the experts in this articles are saying, but is not all lost to him...

I think the big winner in USA FS is Adam, still to see what the ShibSib do, I think they are more "family" friendly...

yume

🍉
Record Breaker
Medvedeva must be getting a lot of money now with all her apperances which are much more than Zagitova who is the olympic champion. Must be because she was the one who was getting the most attention since last season.

cruzceleste

Record Breaker
Medvedeva must be getting a lot of money now with all her apperances which are much more than Zagitova who is the olympic champion. Must be because she was the one who was getting the most attention since last season.

I was wondering if age is more a factor in this.

Evgenia is technically and adult at 18yo, she doesn´t need a guardian so she is easier to manage. On the other hand you see pictures like the Nike advertising, some will question using a 15yo int this kind of campaign, but Evgenia is fair game.

I guess Alina would have to do with more kid/family products, but it will depend if she can continue the momentum and win more. By example Adelina won Sochi, but I think (this is perception) than Yulia got more out of her Olympics post sponsor because she continue to compete (even when her results weren´t that great)

libecha

Rinkside
S/M may have a problem in this area because of the language thing. Neither one speaks one word of the other's native language, and while Aljona's German and Bruno's English are pretty fluent, they'd never be mistaken for native speakers and the partner's level of each is not nearly as good (famously bad, in the case of German). Which does not go over well in TV ads. I suppose they could do magazine spreads, though--they aren't exactly hard on the eyes.

Maybe an endorsement for Kleenex?