Patrick Chan
Javier Fernandez
Akiko Suzuki
Joannie Rochette
Kaetlyn Osmond
Tessa Virtue & Scott Moir
Kaitlyn Weaver & Andrew Poje
Meagan Duhamel & Eric Radford

(I'm guessing this is select dates only)
Shizuka Arakawa
Miki Ando
Nobunari Oda
Mao Asada
Rika Hongo
Satoko Miyahara
Kanako Murakami
Shoma Uno
Takahiko Kozuka
Daisuke Murakami
Takahito Mura
Marin Honda
Shimada Koshiro
Kana Muramoto & Chris Reed
Miu Suzaki & Ryuichi Kihara
Jeffrey Buttle
Meryl Davis & Charlie White

Social media:
https://www.facebook.com/starsonice
https://twitter.com/starsonice
https://www.instagram.com/starsonice/
snapchat: starsonice

Websites:
http://www.starsonice.com/
http://www.starsonice.ca/
http://figureskate-soi.com/

Is anyone going? Can you please report?
What do you think about the locations/dates/cast?
What will the skaters skate to?
Do you have any videos to share?

I am really interested to hear people's opinions, ideas and reports! Exciting!

P.S. I don't know if there are any other threads for SOI out there, if there are, sorry! It's possible to merge them, right..?
P.P.S. Alex Shibutani in a turtleneck is one of the greater things to have happened to this world.

lyndichee

Medalist
Tickets are too expensive for me. I might wait to see some good seats turn up on Stubhub for $20ish. Last year I paid $100 each and I wasn't even close to the rink.

I'm really surprised that the US Tour didn't include a single pairs team. From my experience, pairs teams impress the crowd the most because of the magnitude of throws and lifts compared to other elements. The audience reactions for elements performed by D/R were huge.

Sam-Skwantch

“I solemnly swear I’m up to no good”
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
It really drives me nuts that the US tour doesn't bring in any foreign skaters and where in the heck is Mariah Bell??? She is such a performer. Oh well.

ice coverage

Record Breaker
It really drives me nuts that the US tour doesn't bring in any foreign skaters ...

The US tour of SOI has had many foreign skaters, although this year's short tour does not.

For example:

2015 had Chan; Rochette; Gordeeva; the Kerrs. Barely half the cast was American: Davis/White; Lysacek; Belbin/Agosto; Meissner; Bradley.
2014 had Team USA only -- for the post-Olympics tour.
2013 had Browning; Gordeeva; Kulik; Rochette; the Kerrs; Shawn Sawyer -- outnumbering the Americans: Hamill; Bradley; Navarro/Bommentre.
2012 had Browning; Gordeeva; Kulik; Rochette; the Kerrs -- again outnumbering the Americans: Cohen; Eldredge; Ina/Zimmerman; Bradley.
Etc., etc.

If this year's short tour is a sign of tough times for SOI, seems possible to me that this year's all-US cast is a result of market research showing that they would be the biggest draws for ticket sales in the US.

... where in the heck is Mariah Bell??? She is such a performer. Oh well.

Ashley and Gracie were announced before Nationals as 2016 cast members.
Polina was added after Nationals. My guess is that before casting the third lady, SOI wanted to see who made the podium in St. Paul.
I like Mariah a lot, so I do not mean to sound unkind, but I do not blame SOI for not inviting the lady who placed eleventh. YMMV.

Last edited:

apgold

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Too bad they're only doing SIX cities in the entire US - I would go if they were hitting the tri-state area but not traveling to Hershey or Portland just having been to Boston for Worlds.

I'm sure there will be fanvids popping up so I'll watch those. Jeff Buttle is doing choreo again so I hope he's got some fun team numbers in the works!

Last edited:

tulosai

Record Breaker
I'll actually be at the one in Chicago since I'll be visiting family there during that time.... I will report.

Barb

Record Breaker
STARS ON ICE TOUR 2016

USA
Locations/Dates:
Apr. 15, GIANT CENTER / HERSHEY, PA
Apr. 17, CROSS INSURANCE ARENA / PORTLAND, ME
Apr. 29, ALLSTATE ARENA / CHICAGO, IL
May 1, XCEL ENERGY CENTER / SAINT PAUL, MN
May 7, HONDA CENTER / ANAHEIM, CA
May 8, SAP CENTER / SAN JOSE, CA

Skaters:
Ashley Wagner
Gracie Gold
Maia Shibutani & Alex Shibutani
Madison Chock & Evan Bates
Jeremy Abbott
Adam Rippon
Ryan Bradley
Polina Edmunds

CANADA
Locations/Dates:
Apr. 29, SCOTIABANK CENTRE / HALIFAX, NS
May 1, CANADIAN TIRE CENTRE / OTTAWA, ON
May 6, AIR CANADA CENTRE / TORONTO, ON
May 7, FIRSTONTARIO CENTRE / HAMILTON, ON
May 8, BUDWEISER GARDENS / LONDON, ON
May 11, MTS CENTRE / WINNIPEG, MB
May 13, REXALL PLACE / EDMONTON, AB
May 14, SASKTEL CENTRE / SASKATOON, SK
May 15, SCOTIABANK SADDLEDOME / CALGARY, AB
May 18, PROSPERA PLACE / KELOWNA, BC
May 19, ROGERS ARENA / VANCOUVER, BC
May 21, SAVE-ON-FOODS MEMORIAL CENTRE / VICTORIA, BC

Skaters:
Elvis Stojko
Patrick Chan
Joannie Rochette
Jeffrey Buttle
Javier Fernandez
Kaetlyn Osmond

Kurt Browning (select dates only)

JAPAN
Locations/Dates:
Apr. 9, Osaka
Apr. 10, Osaka
Apr. 15, Tokyo
Apr. 16, Tokyo
Apr. 17, Tokyo

Skaters:
Daisuke Takahashi
Patrick Chan
Javier Fernandez
Akiko Suzuki
Joannie Rochette
Kaetlyn Osmond

(I'm guessing this is select dates only)
Shizuka Arakawa
Miki Ando
Nobunari Oda
Mao Asada
Rika Hongo
Satoko Miyahara
Kanako Murakami
Shoma Uno
Takahiko Kozuka
Daisuke Murakami
Takahito Mura
Marin Honda
Shimada Koshiro
Kana Muramoto & Chris Reed
Miu Suzaki & Ryuichi Kihara
Jeffrey Buttle

Social media:
https://www.facebook.com/starsonice
https://twitter.com/starsonice
https://www.instagram.com/starsonice/
snapchat: starsonice

Websites:
http://www.starsonice.com/
http://www.starsonice.ca/
http://figureskate-soi.com/

Is anyone going? Can you please report?
What do you think about the locations/dates/cast?
What will the skaters skate to?
Do you have any videos to share?

I am really interested to hear people's opinions, ideas and reports! Exciting!

P.S. I don't know if there are any other threads for SOI out there, if there are, sorry! It's possible to merge them, right..?
P.P.S. Alex Shibutani in a turtleneck is one of the greater things to have happened to this world.

Why not russian skaters?

naz

On the Ice
I'm really surprised that the US Tour didn't include a single pairs team. From my experience, pairs teams impress the crowd the most because of the magnitude of throws and lifts compared to other elements. The audience reactions for elements performed by D/R were huge.

Me, too. Both Tarah & Danny and Alexa & Chris are great performers, so the crowds would love them! And both pairs are National Champions, so it's kind of weird that they're not included. Maybe they were invited and just decided not to go?

Alex D

Record Breaker
Why not russian skaters?

I believe the younger Russian athletes will have their final exams of the year during May, so that they can´t go on tour. The "older" might still struggle with the injuries they picked up earlier this season + they most likely don´t need the money that much, like athletes in NA, who have a much tighter budget.

I am happy to see Gracie and Kaety touring, after that Rollercoaster year, having some fun is surely great for them.

mrrice

Record Breaker
I have a question for someone who has been to one these shows. Do they ever invite the Synchronized Teams to perform? I was really surprised at how entertaining they were and now that US had some good groups, I bet they'd be quite popular.

Layback11

Record Breaker
I have a question for someone who has been to one these shows. Do they ever invite the Synchronized Teams to perform? I was really surprised at how entertaining they were and now that US had some good groups, I bet they'd be quite popular.

I've been to three SOIs and no, they never have. Could be interesting, though!

mrrice

Record Breaker
I've been to three SOIs and no, they never have. Could be interesting, though!

That's very interesting. I wonder if that will change. I have never seen the US teams but, I have seen one from Canada and they are really cool. Just the sound they make when the come onto the ice is cool. Talk about edges.....I'm actually surprised that it hasn't happened in Canada. That Rick Mercer dude, featured a team from Canada on his show and they were great.

mrrice

Record Breaker
I believe the younger Russian athletes will have their final exams of the year during May, so that they can´t go on tour. The "older" might still struggle with the injuries they picked up earlier this season + they most likely don´t need the money that much, like athletes in NA, who have a much tighter budget.

I am happy to see Gracie and Kaety touring, after that Rollercoaster year, having some fun is surely great for them.

It's interesting when you talk about the Russian Athletes having final exams. When I toured we had tutors that traveled with us and I remember taking an exam while I was in Japan in 1985. My only issue would be how much study do these athlete get during the height of the season. It was so difficult for me to study and train at the same time and all I did was sing and dance.

vorravorra

Record Breaker
It's interesting when you talk about the Russian Athletes having final exams. When I toured we had tutors that traveled with us and I remember taking an exam while I was in Japan in 1985. My only issue would be how much study do these athlete get during the height of the season. It was so difficult for me to study and train at the same time and all I did was sing and dance.
According to the Evgenia Medvedeva video posted here, there are lessons with a tutor once a week. How much study they manage to do on their own, I am not sure. This is for school students, those who are at University must have a whole different schedule. But both school and University final exams in Russia are in late May-June.

KwanIsALegend

Fly On
Medalist
Would love to see Adam in San Jose, so close to me. But I can't afford it. :noshake:
Do skaters get paid to be on SOI tours? I seem to remember hearing that they were paid really well.

mrrice

Record Breaker
Would love to see Adam in San Jose, so close to me. But I can't afford it. :noshake:
Do skaters get paid to be on SOI tours? I seem to remember hearing that they were paid really well.

It depends on who's sponsoring the tour as it definitely Varies. For instance, I did a tour for Coca Cola and the pay was $500 a week back in the 80's. I thought I had struck gold until my next tour which was for Honeywell. We made 3 times the money and stayed in much nicer hotels.

I think the Athletes have a cap on how much they're allowed to earn. Is that still the case?

Last edited: