Stars on Ice 2016 | Page 3 | Golden Skate

Stars on Ice 2016

seabm7

Final Flight
Ohhhh Vivley, thank you soo much for posting that video. I'm going to SOI in San Jose this coming Sunday and I have a feeling this will be one of my favorite numbers.

I'm sorry, noskates, but that video was from last night's Canadian Stars on Ice performance in Ottawa, so you probably won't see it in San Jose. You would have to travel up to Vancouver to see the performance.

But San Jose should be a great show as well. I envy you - good luck!

Dear noskates, you will see "Sound of Silence" by Adam, Jeremy and Ryan. :)

Last edited:

noskates

Record Breaker
Thanks all. I figured it would be different skaters but that they wouldn't choreograph whole new numbers for the different shows - just use different skaters. I'm sure I'll enjoy it just as much but seeing Patrick and Jeff would have been great. Last year we got to meet Patrick at the brunch.

ozmodiar

On the Ice
I videoed Ryan, Jeremy and Adam in Chicago. It's not the greatest quality but I can upload it off my phone.

Krunchii

Record Breaker
Just got back from CSOI Toronto, what a great show. 3 standing ovations (other than the final number), one for Elvis Stojko (the old ladies in my section suddenly got 20 years younger and were screaming their heads off and clapping with their hands over their heads for him), one for Kurt Browning's solo number and one for Kurt and Donald Jackson's (!!!!!) number!

It was such a crazy surprise! He's 76 years old and he did 2 1Ts and attempted what I think was a 2S with a turnout along with a waltz jump. When the show was over I heard people all over the place who were in awe of Donald Jackson's appearance, it was great:agree:

Patrick and Tessa/Scott got partial standing ovations for their performances

Last edited:

noskates

Record Breaker
Ozmodiar - thank you so much for posting that video of Adam, Jeremy and Ryan. I can hardly wait to see this program on Sunday. One thing it pointed out to me is that Jeremy and Adam were sooooo cut out to be show skaters. I do like Ryan but every time I see him skate I think of his Bugle Boy program and that tight pseudo-military uniform he wore. :eeking: This is truly a stunning performance though. LOVE the version of Sound of Silence.

4everchan

Record Breaker
Country
Martinique
WOW that's amazing!!!!!!!! DONALD JACKSON!!! WOW!!!!!
Just got back from CSOI Toronto, what a great show. 3 standing ovations (other than the final number), one for Elvis Stojko (the old ladies in my section suddenly got 20 years younger and were screaming their heads off and clapping with their hands over their heads for him), one for Kurt Browning's solo number and one for Kurt and Donald Jackson's (!!!!!) number!

It was such a crazy surprise! He's 76 years old and he did 2 1Ts and attempted what I think was a 2S with a turnout along with a waltz jump. When the show was over I heard people all over the place who were in awe of Donald Jackson's appearance, it was great:agree:

Patrick and Tessa/Scott got partial standing ovations for their performances

Scrufflet

Final Flight
I am still reeling after seeing that last night! Half the people around us were yelling "OMG, its Donald Jackson!", the other half puzzled, "Who's Donald Jackson?":laugh::laugh:
The guy beside me thought everyone was Kurt!
What a night!:hap93:

4everchan

Record Breaker
Country
Martinique
I am still reeling after seeing that last night! Half the people around us were yelling "OMG, its Donald Jackson!", the other half puzzled, "Who's Donald Jackson?":laugh::laugh:
The guy beside me thought everyone was Kurt!
What a night!:hap93:

:rofl:

gopatrick

EnChanted
On the Ice
Kurt did mention there would be a special guest for Toronto show. But I couldn't think of Don Jackson in a million guess, I wish I can jump and sit spin like him at 76. :bow:

Put aside all the hypes hung over last night, here's a few short and honest thoughts came across my mind:

Favourite program: Tribute to Scott Hamilton - Sound of Silence, watching Patrick and Jeff glided across each other is pure joy.
The group numbers were very well put together, very tidy pacing and featuring individuals effectively.
Tessa's Vawk dress looked better live under the lights: I knew many fans' 1st reaction was "WTH with that white stocking"
Good show but under performed: Lots of falls. Kudos for Elvis jumping triples. Jeff is a bit out of shape comparing to the previous years, not to mention jumps, his spins are not as sharp as Elvis' (which is a shocker). Javier looked tired and didn't give much energy from crowd (a bit disappointed but understandable after such a long season).
I like KO's performance but I am concerned: Her jumps were quite heavy. I, a couch potato, have better abs than her...that says somthing :palmf:

lyndichee

Medalist
Donald Jackson was probably one of my favourite highlights. I forgot how old he was and I checked last night and he was 76!!! He still has his footwork down. I was quite scared sometimes, he looked quite frail and one fall could be life threatening.

Overall I loved the show more than last year. Last year was very old fashioned but this year was more varied and I think it has the potential to attract a younger audience to watch figure skating.

Some comments on the skaters:

Kaetlyn Osmond

She is exactly what I have seen on TV. Tall, fast and I didn't find her jumps that heavy. I appreciated the fact that she went for a 3Lo despite it being such an inconsistent jump. She only had 1 step out. She's a very vibrant skater and a huge flirt on ice. I can see why SOI wants to keep her on the tour.

Weaver/Poje

To be honest I wasn't a huge fan of their free skate this season but seeing it in person moved me. It was very beautiful and powerful at sometimes. Kaitlyn is exactly like she is on video; she is so passionate on ice. Someone behind me was saying "Wow I enjoyed that Kaitlyn and Alexander performance, how lovely!" :laugh: I think they are doing hip hop for the next season. They danced to Eliza's exhibtion "Get Low" and even went into the crowd to dance with a couple old people (although they had no idea how to dance to the song). I think hip hop doesn't suit their passionate image but I guess we will see.

Duhamel/Radford

A lot of people like to say Eric is the one who carries the aesthetics in the partnership as he is very balletic but I could not help but be drawn to Meagan. Performance wise I agree that they are not as good as other pairs but Duhamel is a little magnet out there. She's gives off this joyous feeling when she skates and her smile is contagious. She fell on both 3STh attempts (I'm guessing that's as a result of doing the quad) but they did a 2ATh and it was awesome. It was huge! I can't wait to see the 3A because they go into the throw with very little telegraphing compared to other throws which I think will look better in competition.

Javier Fernandez

I agree he was not as exciting as I imagined. Lots of personality but not as energetic. I think I have him on video landing an awesome 3A. I think he still has ways to go on his skating skills. I was probably most excited to see him but now that I am reflecting on last night, he did not leave a huge impression on me.

Jeffrey Buttle

Seeing him last year as well, his triples have been giving him trouble for a while. He still has amazing skating skills and I loved his ice coverage. There is something about great ice coverage that helps to add momentum to a performance. Last year I only liked one of his programs but both his performances (Cry Me A River and Black and Gold) were powerful and full of energy. I think Black and Gold could be gifted to a female skater as a SP. He was amazing during "The Sound of Silence". They used the Disturbed version which was amazing. I would have to disagree on spins, I was really impressed by Jeff's sit spins, he's still got it there.

Elvis Stojko

To b honest I didn't have much expectation for him but the old ladies sitting around me went crazy. His first song "Love Run Outs" reminds me of the term "hipography" that people used to describe Javi. At the end of the song he just stood there and shook his hips and these ladies around me jumped from their seats and starting screaming. He is extremely fit for his age but I didn't really like his second piece. The name escapes me but the singing was too young for him and he wasn't really skating to the music. I also couldn't pay attention to him during Sounds of Silence because Patrick and Jeffrey were just so much better.

Joannie Rochette

I didn't think Joannie could be more flirty than Kaetlyn but she was. Her performances were great and I think if any skater want to look someone becoming a successful professional skater, Joannie should be the standard. She fell on her first jump but after everything was perfect. Better jumps than Kaetlyn in my opinion. She was mature, passionate, flirty, had nice jumps and spins. 6 years out of competition and still looks like she could compete today.

Tessa Virtue/Scott Moir

Tessa was definitely the star for me. Tessa and Scott both went out on ice on their own during some the transitions between each performance to skate around and Tessa was amazing on her own. I didn't like those VAWK leggings, those need to go and just make the skirt longer.

Patrick Chan

He was my favourite of the night. His skating skills are like second nature to him. The speed and edge work were of the highest caliber and his smoothness really helps to transcend the performance. He was the highlight of the Sound of Silence. I think why someone people don't "get" him is because although he has fantastic movement on ice, someone people prefer the more nuanced Jeffrey Buttle where his emotion and interpretation is not just below the ankles, but also moves through his face and shoulders. I think Patrick might use Esqualo as a short program. The placement of jumps seem to mirror the placements and timing of where he jumps. He did a 3T where the 4T+3T is and a 2A where he does the 3A and in the place of the lutz he had a 3S. I have the full video if anyone wants to see it.

It seems like SOI Canada is trying to prop Patrick up as the star of the Canadian tour now that Kurt is winding down his performances. Patrick was at the centre of a lot of the group numbers, skating through everyone and the whole cast skated circles around him while he spun at one point.

Kurt Browning

He was definitely the most popular and well respected. People loved his performance with Donald Jackson and everyone was on their toes for his interpretation of "Love Yourself" by Justin Bieber. He psyched the crowd out by pretending he was going to flip his hat onto his head and was just so cheeky. He landed two 3T's and a 2A. An audience member behind me kept whistling whenever he took his jacket off too.

Complaints

YOU CAN'T KEEP SAYING DAVID WILSON IS IN THE AUDIENCE AND NOT POINTING TO WHERE HE IS! I WANTED TO SEE HIM GRR

Last edited:

4everchan

Record Breaker
Country
Martinique
we do want to see esqualo :) the fan fest is begging for it :)
Donald Jackson was probably one of my favourite highlights. I forgot how old he was and I checked last night and he was 76!!! He still has his footwork down. I was quite scared sometimes, he looked quite frail and one fall could be life threatening.

Overall I loved the show more than last year. Last year was very old fashioned but this year was more varied and I think it has the potential to attract a younger audience to watch figure skating.

Some comments on the skaters:

Kaetlyn Osmond

She is exactly what I have seen on TV. Tall, fast and I didn't find her jumps that heavy. I appreciated the fact that she went for a 3Lo despite it being such an inconsistent jump. She only had 1 step out. She's a very vibrant skater and a huge flirt on ice. I can see why SOI wants to keep her on the tour.

Weaver/Poje

To be honest I wasn't a huge fan of their free skate this season but seeing it in person moved me. It was very beautiful and powerful at sometimes. Kaitlyn is exactly like she is on video; she is so passionate on ice. Someone behind me was saying "Wow I enjoyed that Kaitlyn and Alexander performance, how lovely!" :laugh: I think they are doing hip hop for the next season. They danced to Eliza's exhibtion "Get Low" and even went into the crowd to dance with a couple old people (although they had no idea how to dance to the song). I think hip hop doesn't suit their passionate image but I guess we will see.

Duhamel/Radford

A lot of people like to say Eric is the one who carries the aesthetics in the partnership as he is very balletic but I could not help but be drawn to Meagan. Performance wise I agree that they are not as good as other pairs but Duhamel is a little magnet out there. She's gives off this joyous feeling when she skates and her smile is contagious. She fell on both 3STh attempts (I'm guessing that's as a result of doing the quad) but they did a 2ATh and it was awesome. It was huge! I can't wait to see the 3A because they go into the throw with very little telegraphing compared to other throws which I think will look better in competition.

Javier Fernandez

I agree he was not as exciting as I imagined. Lots of personality but not as energetic. I think I have him on video landing an awesome 3A. I think he still has ways to go on his skating skills. I was probably most excited to see him but now that I am reflecting on last night, he did not leave a huge impression on me.

Jeffrey Buttle

Seeing him last year as well, his triples have been giving him trouble for a while. He still has amazing skating skills and I loved his ice coverage. There is something about great ice coverage that helps to add momentum to a performance. Last year I only liked one of his programs but both his performances (Cry Me A River and Black and Gold) were powerful and full of energy. I think Black and Gold could be gifted to a female skater as a SP. He was amazing during "The Sound of Silence". They used the Disturbed version which was amazing. I would have to disagree on spins, I was really impressed by Jeff's sit spins, he's still got it there.

Elvis Stojko

To b honest I didn't have much expectation for him but the old ladies sitting around me went crazy. His first song "Love Run Outs" reminds me of the term "hipography" that people used to describe Javi. At the end of the song he just stood there and shook his hips and these ladies around me jumped from their seats and starting screaming. He is extremely fit for his age but I didn't really like his second piece. The name escapes me but the singing was too young for him and he wasn't really skating to the music. I also couldn't pay attention to him during Sounds of Silence because Patrick and Jeffrey were just so much better.

Joannie Rochette

I didn't think Joannie could be more flirty than Kaetlyn but she was. Her performances were great and I think if any skater want to look someone becoming a successful professional skater, Joannie should be the standard. She fell on her first jump but after everything was perfect. Better jumps than Kaetlyn in my opinion. She was mature, passionate, flirty, had nice jumps and spins. 6 years out of competition and still looks like she could compete today.

Tessa Virtue/Scott Moir

Tessa was definitely the star for me. Tessa and Scott both went out on ice on their own during some the transitions between each performance to skate around and Tessa was amazing on her own. I didn't like those VAWK leggings, those need to go and just make the skirt longer.

Patrick Chan

He was my favourite of the night. His skating skills are like second nature to him. The speed and edge work were of the highest caliber and his smoothness really helps to transcend the performance. He was the highlight of the Sound of Silence. I think why someone people don't "get" him is because although he has fantastic movement on ice, someone people prefer the more nuanced Jeffrey Buttle where his emotion and interpretation is not just below the ankles, but also moves through his face and shoulders. I think Patrick might use Esqualo as a short program. The placement of jumps seem to mirror the placements and timing of where he jumps. He did a 3T where the 4T+3T is and a 2A where he does the 3A and in the place of the lutz he had a 3S. I have the full video if anyone wants to see it.

It seems like SOI Canada is trying to prop Patrick up as the star of the Canadian tour now that Kurt is winding down his performances. Patrick was at the centre of a lot of the group numbers, skating through everyone and the whole cast skated circles around him while he spun at one point.

Kurt Browning

He was definitely the most popular and well respected. People loved his performance with Donald Jackson and everyone was on their toes for his interpretation of "Love Yourself" by Justin Bieber. He psyched the crowd out by pretending he was going to flip his hat onto his head and was just so cheeky. He landed two 3T's and a 2A. An audience member behind me kept whistling whenever he took his jacket off too.

Complaints

YOU CAN'T KEEP SAYING DAVID WILSON IS IN THE AUDIENCE AND NOT POINTING TO WHERE HE IS! I WANTED TO SEE HIM GRR

mrrice

Record Breaker
:sad21:

Jealous is the only word I can come up with right. I love reading these report's but I would kill to have been there. I hope you all had a great time!!

Donald Jackson!!!:bow:

Last edited: