Strain on arches in new skates | Golden Skate

Strain on arches in new skates

viamarkable

Rinkside
hi all,
i recently went back to the ice after 2 years (bc of covid) and i got new skates. however, when i get on the ice, for the first 1/2-1 hours my arches hurt a lot, and i feel as if i strain and pressure them a lot. I don't know what i'm doing wrong or if it is my boot and it's something i should fix/do?
for reference, i'm around freeskate 1-2 level, and i have jackson evo's with a mark IV blade. I got these at cyclone taylor's in canada (where i got my first new pair (jackson artiste) too). i guess you could say that i have a orient foot shape, but idk how to describe my feet. i'm around 5'2" and 102 lbs.
btw, after the first 1/2-1 hour, the pain goes away, but when i take them off, my feet are super sore. i got them partially heat molded, didn't hurt when i first tried them on, but hurt on the ice. it fits pretty well and snug on my foot, and i've been able to do everything i used to do and more. also, i am not currently going to the ice on a set basis cuz i have school and all that which makes me pretty busy, but i'm going to be going more often bc winter break is coming up.
I don't think i'm financially able to get a different pair, so is there anything else i can do that will help? also any advice to break in my boots faster or any tips in general?
thanks!!

edit1 : another thing is my mom isn't exactly the most comfortable with me progressing with my jumps, aka she doesn't want me to learn jumps cuz she thinks it too dangerous, but she's okay with me spinning and doing footwork and all that. bc of this, i likely will just do solo ice dance, bc she likes it and i do too. just something else to consider

edit 2: thanks for everyone who suggested what i could do to lessen the strain - i went back skating a few days ago and warmed up my feet and everything, didn't feel any strain on my feet. if it comes back, i will definitly try the arch supports yall reccomended. thanks again everyone!!!

Last edited:

Ic3Rabbit

Former Elite, now Pro. ⛸️
Record Breaker
Country
Olympics
hi all,
i recently went back to the ice after 2 years (bc of covid) and i got new skates. however, when i get on the ice, for the first 1/2-1 hours my arches hurt a lot, and i feel as if i strain and pressure them a lot. I don't know what i'm doing wrong or if it is my boot and it's something i should fix/do?
for reference, i'm around freeskate 1-2 level, and i have jackson evo's with a mark IV blade. I got these at cyclone taylor's in canada (where i got my first new pair (jackson artiste) too). i guess you could say that i have a orient foot shape, but idk how to describe my feet. i'm around 5'2" and 102 lbs.
btw, after the first 1/2-1 hour, the pain goes away, but when i take them off, my feet are super sore. i got them partially heat molded, didn't hurt when i first tried them on, but hurt on the ice. it fits pretty well and snug on my foot, and i've been able to do everything i used to do and more. also, i am not currently going to the ice on a set basis cuz i have school and all that which makes me pretty busy, but i'm going to be going more often bc winter break is coming up.
I don't think i'm financially able to get a different pair, so is there anything else i can do that will help? also any advice to break in my boots faster or any tips in general?
thanks!!
First, did you get a proper fitting where they measured and traced your foot? If not, that is one of the issues because you are more than likely in a boot that's too narrow and also doesn't support you or your arches properly.
You can try superfeet insoles, others here can tell you which would work the best for your situation, and just hoping those will fit in your boot and not make it took snug.

When you can look at/afford new boots: Look into Risport because they may fit you better and will for sure support your arches better.

Good luck!

viamarkable

Rinkside
First, did you get a proper fitting where they measured and traced your foot? If not, that is one of the issues because you are more than likely in a boot that's too narrow and also doesn't support you or your arches properly.
You can try superfeet insoles, others here can tell you which would work the best for your situation, and just hoping those will fit in your boot and not make it took snug.

When you can look at/afford new boots: Look into Risport because they may fit you better and will for sure support your arches better.

Good luck!
they did measure my foot, but didn't trace. when they got the boot, they also took out the insole and compared my foot with that.
I'll see about the superfeet insoles.. thanks! Also, i've heard about risport a lot, but is it expensive? if yes, would it be worth it to get them since i'm still growing rapidly. thanks again!

Ic3Rabbit

Record Breaker
Country
Olympics
they did measure my foot, but didn't trace. when they got the boot, they also took out the insole and compared my foot with that.
I'll see about the superfeet insoles.. thanks! Also, i've heard about risport a lot, but is it expensive? if yes, would it be worth it to get them since i'm still growing rapidly. thanks again!
Still sounds like they didn't know what they were doing. Sorry to have to break that news.
Risport are no more expensive than other brands. Plus, you get the boot you need by stiffness related to your skill level.

viamarkable

Rinkside
Still sounds like they didn't know what they were doing. Sorry to have to break that news.
Risport are no more expensive than other brands. Plus, you get the boot you need by stiffness related to your skill level.
I doubt I will be able to get risports soon, especially because i just got the jacksons. Do you think i will be fine in them for like the next year or so until i outgrow them if i use superfeet insoles? Also what model risports/the insoles would you recommend for me?

viamarkable

Rinkside
another thing is, when i had my jackson artiste's (and all my skates before that), i never felt any strain at all. could it also be because of not skating for 2 years? i think i used to also skate in riedells

tstop4me

Final Flight
Country
United-States
another thing is, when i had my jackson artiste's (and all my skates before that), i never felt any strain at all. could it also be because of not skating for 2 years? i think i used to also skate in riedells
You have too many simultaneous changes for anyone to diagnose over the InterNet: (1) Being off ice for two years certainly will have an impact. You need to start off slow. When I returned to the ice after a ~6 mo break due to COVID shutdowns, I forced myself to get off the ice after 30 min for the first several sessions, then built up more time. I knew it would be too easy to get carried away after being cooped up so long, and hurt myself. (2) New boots certainly have an impact too. Again, even if you were in good shape, you would want to gradually break them in over many sessions. Being off ice for two years and breaking in new boots at the same time is a sure-fire recipe for grief. (3) Jackson is constantly fiddling with their boot designs, even for nominally the same model. So boots that may have fit fine before may not fit fine now. (4) Your feet may have changed over the past two years, especially if you've been less active than normal.

WednesdayMarch

Nicer When Fed
Medalist
Country
United-Kingdom
Risport aren't particularly expensive, but all brands and boot models differ. What matters is that you get the right boot for your foot. And if you're still growing, nobody - even Ic3Rabbit, who knows more about boots than the rest of us combined - can predict what might fit you best when you outgrow your current Jacksons. Every time you get new boots, best practice is to get fitted. Feet change with age, even when you've theoretically stopped growing.

If it's any help, I use small arch supports rather than insoles in my current boots. It can be a matter of trying various things to find out what works for you.

viamarkable

Rinkside
You have too many simultaneous changes for anyone to diagnose over the InterNet: (1) Being off ice for two years certainly will have an impact. You need to start off slow. When I returned to the ice after a ~6 mo break due to COVID shutdowns, I forced myself to get off the ice after 30 min for the first several sessions, then built up more time. I knew it would be too easy to get carried away after being cooped up so long, and hurt myself. (2) New boots certainly have an impact too. Again, even if you were in good shape, you would want to gradually break them in over many sessions. Being off ice for two years and breaking in new boots at the same time is a sure-fire recipe for grief. (3) Jackson is constantly fiddling with their boot designs, even for nominally the same model. So boots that may have fit fine before may not fit fine now. (4) Your feet may have changed over the past two years, especially if you've been less active than normal.
i see. I will go slowly, and see what happens. thanks!

viamarkable

Rinkside
Risport aren't particularly expensive, but all brands and boot models differ. What matters is that you get the right boot for your foot. And if you're still growing, nobody - even Ic3Rabbit, who knows more about boots than the rest of us combined - can predict what might fit you best when you outgrow your current Jacksons. Every time you get new boots, best practice is to get fitted. Feet change with age, even when you've theoretically stopped growing.

If it's any help, I use small arch supports rather than insoles in my current boots. It can be a matter of trying various things to find out what works for you.
thanks! i think the fitter there didn't trace my feet because i came in with my old jacksons... maybe he assumed that jacksons fit me best. For now i'll probably just take time and readjust like tstop4me said, but im wondering what arch supports do you use? i might try those if i still need them

Ic3Rabbit

Record Breaker
Country
Olympics

This right here. I always, always suggest getting properly fitted for every single boot you buy because boot styles and feet change.
thanks! i think the fitter there didn't trace my feet because i came in with my old jacksons... maybe he assumed that jacksons fit me best. For now i'll probably just take time and readjust like tstop4me said, but im wondering what arch supports do you use? i might try those if i still need them
It doesn't matter if you had 15 pairs of Jackson boots prior to getting fitted this most recent time, a good fitter will trace and size you every single time. I wish you luck.

viamarkable

Rinkside
This right here. I always, always suggest getting properly fitted for every single boot you buy because boot styles and feet change.

It doesn't matter if you had 15 pairs of Jackson boots prior to getting fitted this most recent time, a good fitter will trace and size you every single time. I wish you luck.
alright, thanks! this is will definitly help me when i get new skates each time. the thing is, i'm definitly not going to be able to get new skates or different ones than the ones i have now for at least 6 months, in your opinion, do you think it will work for me if i use arch supports or find another solution?

Ic3Rabbit

Record Breaker
Country
Olympics
alright, thanks! this is will definitly help me when i get new skates each time. the thing is, i'm definitly not going to be able to get new skates or different ones than the ones i have now for at least 6 months, in your opinion, do you think it will work for me if i use arch supports or find another solution?
I gave you my opinion upthread regarding getting some sort of insole like superfeet.

viamarkable

Rinkside
I gave you my opinion upthread regarding getting some sort of insole like superfeet.
yes i saw that, but, i'm not sure what type/size i should buy. i saw that they have insoles for hockey, but not figure skates. will the hockey ones work?

WednesdayMarch

Nicer When Fed
Medalist
Country
United-Kingdom
yes i saw that, but, i'm not sure what type/size i should buy. i saw that they have insoles for hockey, but not figure skates. will the hockey ones work?
The only way you'll know is to try. Nobody on the internet can give you a definite answer as to what will and what won't work for you personally.

The ones I use are here:- kaps Medix arch supports but I've had others in my lengthy career, including the 3/4 type and some custom made ones. With my current Risports, these are all I require. That may change with my next boots or if my feet change.

Good luck with finding a solution.

tstop4me

Final Flight
Country
United-States
For background reading, here's a write-up describing one figure skater's experiences with a variety of insoles: https://scarletskater.wordpress.com/2017/06/23/insoles/

BUT, before you proceed, there are important caveats. And there's one major option not mentioned in that article. I don't have time right now. But I'll give you a more detailed response later (probably later today or tomorrow).

gliese

Final Flight
Country
United-States
edit: another thing is my mom isn't exactly the most comfortable with me progressing with my jumps, aka she doesn't want me to learn jumps cuz she thinks it too dangerous, but she's okay with me spinning and doing footwork and all that. bc of this, i likely will just do solo ice dance, bc she likes it and i do too. just something else to consider
Oh boy. Are you okay with this decision or do you want to jump? Because I can tell you first hand that all the injuries I've had that could be dangerous (back and head injuries) have not come from jumping. That's not to say that ice dance is more dangerous... I know people who have had the same injuries I've had but theirs were from jumps. All of skating is equally dangerous and it all has different impacts on the body. Jumping is not inherently any more dangerous than spinning or ice dance.

WednesdayMarch

Nicer When Fed
Medalist
Country
United-Kingdom
edit: another thing is my mom isn't exactly the most comfortable with me progressing with my jumps, aka she doesn't want me to learn jumps cuz she thinks it too dangerous, but she's okay with me spinning and doing footwork and all that. bc of this, i likely will just do solo ice dance, bc she likes it and i do too. just something else to consider
Oh glory...

Well, I hate to break it to your mom, but the worst injuries rarely come from jumping! In my experience it's usually the completely unexpected falls that cause the worst injuries. When you've taken off into a jump, you're pretty much expecting swift and silent death so you're ready for the impact and it rarely does much damage other than a few bruises to body and ego.

tstop4me

Final Flight
Country
United-States
For background reading, here's a write-up describing one figure skater's experiences with a variety of insoles: https://scarletskater.wordpress.com/2017/06/23/insoles/

BUT, before you proceed, there are important caveats. And there's one major option not mentioned in that article. I don't have time right now. But I'll give you a more detailed response later (probably later today or tomorrow).
More detailed response:

* One option is to go see a sports podiatrist experienced with figure skates. But that wouldn't be my first recommendation in your instance now: (1) They are hard to find, and (2) Your situation is unstable (you've been off ice for two years, and you're breaking in new boots).

* Any off-the-shelf insole will be hit or miss. It's not viable for an off-the-shelf unit to suit every combination of boots and feet. I know a bunch of people who have used Superfeet Yellow. As expected, there's no consensus: A few love them, a few hate them, and many are, "Eh, they kind of work, I guess." [I just ran into a friend at one rink last week. She just bought a pair, and they made things worse.] I've seen them in two pro shops that specialize in figure skates. Techs there told me the same thing: They work for some people, they don't work for others. There's no way to tell in advance. But be aware that they need to be trimmed to fit your boots. So you can't return them if they don't work. If you decide to go this route, I would recommend that you try the cheapest Superfeet Yellow, not the more advanced (and more expensive) ones. If they don't work, you're out only $35 or so (Amazon price; usually higher at pro shops). One big disadvantage of the Superfeet is that they are an all-in-one unit, combining heel lift, heel cup, and arch support. Many boots already have high heel pitches; adding even more heel lift could be undesirable.

Superfeet also makes advanced insoles that are heat moldable, and even ones that are custom 3D printed. I don't know anyone who's tried them.

* An alternative (not mentioned in the article) is the Riedell R-Fit kit (https://www.ice.riedellskates.com/Catalog/Accessories/R-Fit-Footbeds). Sells for ~$55 on Amazon. This is a modular kit that allows you to vary different components independently (longitudinal arch support, metatarsal arch pad, heel lift, heel wedge). Worked well for one skater I know; didn't work for two others. A more flexible solution than Superfeet, but again you won't know whether any of the components will work for your feet and your boots until you try them.

* I personally use individual arch supports, similar to what WednesdayMarch uses, but by Pedag (https://www.amazon.com/Pedag-Symmet...1?keywords=pedag+step&qid=1639513675&sr=8-1); cost is only ~$11 They come in different sizes, and can be applied at different positions on a flat insole. Out of the box, they use double-sided tape for attachment. That tends to come loose easily, so I don't use the supplied tape, and use Velcro tape instead to attach them to the flat insoles. This allows me to change the position or even swap them out for a different size easily.

You can further customize them with layers of moleskin, moleskin foam, or Velcro tape. Trial and error is needed. The Goldilocks approach: This arch support is too high; this arch support is too low; this arch support is just right. Pedag also makes metatarsal pads and heel wedges, which can also be attached to the same flat insole via Velcro tape: so you can readily swap out components and move them around.

* Hope all this isn't too confusing. If you need clarification, please ask.

Last edited:

viamarkable

Rinkside
The only way you'll know is to try. Nobody on the internet can give you a definite answer as to what will and what won't work for you personally.

The ones I use are here:- kaps Medix arch supports but I've had others in my lengthy career, including the 3/4 type and some custom made ones. With my current Risports, these are all I require. That may change with my next boots or if my feet change.

Good luck with finding a solution.
Thanks! I will add this to the list of what to try.