Takahito Mura: "I also tried some quad Axels" | Golden Skate

Takahito Mura: "I also tried some quad Axels"

ice coverage

Record Breaker
"At home, I am also working on the quad Salchow, the quad Lutz and at a national camp I also tried some quad Axels," Mura said. "At the moment, they are not stable enough for competition, but I hope to show some of them one day in competition."

I wish the wording were more clear.
Did he intend "I hope to show some of them one day in competition" to mean quad axels specifically?? :think: Or just other quads in general?

aftertherain

Record Breaker
Please don't hurt yourself.

You're a father now.

I'm sure your kid wants to be held so you can't be broken, okay?

pandaatlarge

On the Ice
He's already done 4Lz in an Ice Show this summer (I think it was Fantasy On Ice, during the quads battle in the Finale), but 2 footed according to fan's twitter.
That's why I really love the Quads Battle in the ice shows in Japan, you can enjoy the crazy jumps those skaters never attempt in competitions, like this summer we've seen Hanyu doing 4Lo, Machida doing 4F and Mura doing 4Lz. But unfortunately it is also what made them exhausted during the summer at the end of the day.

Meoima

Match Penalty
^yeah, if they tried those jumps in competition, I am afraid they couldn't delivery the rest of the programs. Those jumps are super difficult and cost a huge amount of energy.

gmyers

Record Breaker
It's true that after a quad axel what would your energy level be like?! Got to be like a deflated balloon!!

Meoima

Match Penalty
It's true that after a quad axel what would your energy level be like?! Got to be like a deflated balloon!!
I guess the quad axels they are talking about is just axel with 4 rotations, not 4,5. :p

Maria Victoria

Record Breaker
^The samurai and the gladiator! ;) Maybe following the way of the Japanese ice shows, they can carry that quad battle to the actual exhibition and give the fans a real treat.

Meoima

Match Penalty
Yes and after that 4A you might lose all your energy to execute other jumps. You might lost 15 or even 20 points in total if you can't sell the rest of the program. :p So to train that jump is one thing, to put the jump in the competition is an entirely different matter.

And I don't hope for these men to suffer from injuries for the second half of their lives. 4A is too crazy. And I have a feeling that the 4A all the skaters are talking about is just 4 rotations.

If one day someone can deliver 4,5 rotations axel, I will :bow: and :jaw: then wonder what if that skater is indeed alien. Time to be scared.

skatedreamer

Medalist
Country
United-States
Maybe this belongs in "Stupid Questions:" would it make sense to train for 4 rotations b/c then 3.5 wouldn't seem so difficult?

Asking b/c musicians sometimes learn difficult technical passages faster than they really have to play/sing them. It's just a way to psych yourself into really going for the tempo you need in performance.

Having said that, even though we'd all be jumping up and down for a 4A (I'd be doing cartwheels! :bow:), I'm with Meoima: the 4A isn't worth the wear and tear on the body.

Red Helicopter

Rinkside
And I don't hope for these men to suffer from injuries for the second half of their lives. 4A is too crazy. And I have a feeling that the 4A all the skaters are talking about is just 4 rotations.
4A with 4 rotations seems to be quite difficult for landing, they would just fall almost every time, so it's even more crazy that 4,5 jump.

Having said that, even though we'd all be jumping up and down for a 4A (I'd be doing cartwheels! :bow:), I'm with Meoima: the 4A isn't worth the wear and tear on the body.
Exactly the same thing was told about quads long time ago, but now we have them. The same should happen to 4A, I'm sure.
Who knows, maybe in 20-30 years quad will become ordinary thing just like triple jumps today, and for top skaters 5T or 5S jumps will pe performed once or twice per program :rolleye:

Meoima

Match Penalty
Who knows, maybe in 20-30 years quad will become ordinary thing just like triple jumps today, and for top skaters 5T or 5S jumps will pe performed once or twice per program :rolleye:
5T or 5S huh? I didn't know they will have some FS events on the moon so the skaters can finally land those jumps. :laugh: You know quint is impossible not just because of human body limit, it has to do with gravity as well. It's not like because you think your body have enough strength you can go for a quint. The gravity of the Earth will not let you do so. :frown:

4A with 4 rotations seems to be quite difficult for landing, they would just fall almost every time, so it's even more crazy that 4,5 jump.
Have you seen any of these men said that they can land the 4A, but that they practice it only?
Best 3A goes to Kulik, he trained the 4A as well and he had to give it up because his body couldn't handle it.

ayarose

On the Ice
If one day someone can deliver 4,5 rotations axel, I will :bow: and :jaw: then wonder what if that skater is indeed alien. Time to be scared.

Didn't Yuzu said he lacked a quarter of a rev when he tried 4A at best? Maybe he's part alien? I mean kid could jump 3A from a standstill. LOL.

4A is possible but I don't want it in competitions if it will wipe out the skating field list due to injury. Maybe a bonus in gala shows, like the insane quad + 3As Hanyu does.

adelia

Record Breaker
Realistically, there is no need to train for 4A. It is not worth the energy expended during training or during the program itself such that you would sacrifice other elements in your program.