Tatiana Totmianina & Maxim Marinin | Golden Skate

Tatiana Totmianina & Maxim Marinin

CrazyKittenLady

Get well soon, Lyosha!
Record Breaker
Country
Austria
Tatiana Ivanovna Totmianina (Russian: Татьяна Ивановна Тотьмянина) and Maxim Viktorovich Marinin (Russian: Максим Викторович Маринин) are Russian former competitive pair skaters. Tatiana was born on 2 November 1981 in Perm, Russia and Maxim was born on 23 March 1977 in Volgograd, Russia. The pair began skating together in 1996 and retired from competition in 2006. Together they are the 2006 Olympic champions, two-time World champions, five-time European champions, and three-time Russian national champions.
Early in their career together, they were coached by Natalia Pavlova in Saint Petersburg. Totmianina/Marinin left Pavlova just prior to the 2001 European Championships and moved to Chicago in the United States to train under 1984 Olympic pairs champion Oleg Vasiliev at the Oakton Ice Arena in Park Ridge, Illinois.
On 23 October 2004, during the free skate at 2004 GP Skate America in Pittsburgh, Marinin lost his balance while attempting an axel lasso lift and Totmianina slammed into the ice head first. She had to be carried off the ice on a stretcher, sustained a concussion and spent the night in a local hospital. On 25 October, Totmianina said that, although she felt pain, she had no memory of the accident and was not afraid to return to the ice. She recovered from her injuries rapidly and was able to resume training within days. Although Totmianina did not blame him, the accident weighed heavily on Marinin and when the pair returned to training, he was unable to lift her due to panic attacks. He began seeing a sport psychologist who helped him overcome the issue. At their first competition after the accident, Russian Nationals 2004/05, they placed first.

After retirement, Totmianina/Marinin have appeared in several seasons and incarnations of the Russian show “Ice Age”, as skaters or judges. They also participate regularly together in Russian ice shows, most of them productions by Ilya Averbukh.
Marinin tried his hand as a choreographer with the 2014–15 short program of Russian pair skaters Vera Bazarova/Andrei Deputat. He also works as a figure skating coach in Ilya Averbukh’s school Путь к успеху (Path to Success).

Tatiana and Maxim pronounce their names here:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LYKM6eGxR4s

ISU biography: http://www.isuresults.com/bios/isufs00002439.htm

Stats on Ice bio: https://www.statsonice.com/skaterteam/tatianatotmaximmarin/

Tatiana’s Wikipedia: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tatiana_Totmianina
Maxim’s Wikipedia: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Maxim_Marinin

Social media:
Tatiana: https://www.instagram.com/tatianatotmyanina/
Maxim: https://www.instagram.com/marininmax/

Competitive Programs:

1997/1998
SP - Phantom on Ice
FS - Pas De Deux

1998/1999
SP - Grand Canyon Suite by Ferde Grofé
FS - Swan Lake by Pyotr Tchaikovsky
Ex - Ameno

1999/2000
SP - The Feeling Begins/Passion by Peter Gabriel
FS - Swan Lake by Pyotr Tchaikovsky
Ex - Ameno

2000/2001
SP - Liebestraum by Franz Liszt
FS - West Side Story by Leonard Bernstein
Ex - Ameno

2001/2002
SP - Star & Death of Joakin Murietta by Alexei Rybnikov, Pavel Grushko
FS - West Side Story by Leonard Bernstein
Ex - A Girl Like You by Edwyn Collins

2002/2003
SP - Per Gynt by Edvard Grieg
FS - Cotton Club by John Barry
Ex1 - Et Si Tu N'existais Pas
Ex2 - Your Song

2003/2004
SP - Variations on a Theme of Paganini by Sergei Rachmaninov
FS1 - Cotton Club by John Barry
FS2 - Art On Ice by Edvin Marton
Ex1 - Et Si Tu N'existais Pas
Ex2 - Your Song

2004/2005
SP - Ave Maria by Franz Schubert
FS - Sheherazade by Nikolai Rimsky-Korsakov
Ex1 - Have You Ever Really Loved a Woman? by Bryan Adams
Ex2 - Carmina Burana by Carl Orff

2005/2006
SP - Snow Storm by Georgy Sviridov
FS - Romeo & Juliet by Nino Rota
Ex - Melodramma

Competitive highlights:

Event/Season96–9797–9898–9999–0000–0101–0202–0303–0404–0505–06
Olympics​
4th1st
World Championships​
7th6th5th2nd2nd1st1st
European Championships​
5th5th2nd1st1st1st1st1st
GP Final​
1st2nd1st
GP Cup of Russia​
5th6th3rd6th1st1st
GP Lalique/Bompard​
5th2nd4th1st2nd1st
GP Skate America​
7th3rd3rd1stWD
GP Skate Canada​
2nd1st1st
GP Sparkassen​
3rd
Schäfer Memorial​
5th
Skate Israel​
2nd
Russian National Championships​
6th5th3rd3rd3rd2nd1st1st1stWD

CrazyKittenLady

Get well soon, Lyosha!
Record Breaker
Country
Austria
While doing the videos for Tatiana and Maxim, I noticed (and was a bit shocked) that they didn't have their own fan fest yet. So I thought to myself, better late than never, and here we are. It is my first fan fest, so I hope I've done an acceptable job. I can add some links to their competitive performances later, in the meantime, you should be able to find them in the media archive once it goes live.
Fortunately for their fans, Tatiana and Maxim are still very active on the show circuit, so if you need some entertainment during these dark times of quarantine and lock-downs, maybe check out some of their performances. For starters, I've chosen two shows where high-quality recordings are available:

Tatiana and Maxim in Ilya Averbukh's show "Romeo and Juliet", live from Verona, 6 October 2018
Tatiana and Maxim in Ilya Averbukh's show "Ice and Flames", 24 December 2020 (requires Russian VPN)

Enjoy! :)

CrazyKittenLady

Get well soon, Lyosha!
Record Breaker
Country
Austria
Some of Tatiana and Max's performances in this year's Averbukh shows have surfaced on youtube. 😍

New Years Show "Champions" - skating a beautiful and very creative program to Creep. Max is a Cellist and Tatiana is the Cello.

Ice Age Show, Moscow, 7th March 2021, with support from Russian singer Angelica Varum.

CrazyKittenLady

Get well soon, Lyosha!
Record Breaker
Country
Austria
A short vid from yesterday's show in SPB:

I just love that Cello-themed exhibition to the instrumental version of Creep! 🥰 It's been more than a year that I've seen Max and Tatiana skate live in Bratislava and they had a different program back then. I just hope that once this pandemic is over I get the chance to see this one live, it is just sublime. :pray: Also, there should be more guys skating in a tux. :biggrin:

CrazyKittenLady

Get well soon, Lyosha!
Record Breaker
Country
Austria
Tatiana and Max will star in Averbukh's new show "Anna Karenina"! :love2: It will be staged in Sochi from July till September. I just hope there will be some broadcast or at least fan videos.

CrazyKittenLady

Get well soon, Lyosha!
Record Breaker
Country
Austria

Rina RUS

Final Flight
Country
Russia
Why is it that Sochi gets all these great ice shows all the time?

:) They do it in Sochi, because in Sochi they can be successful all summer long. Many people from different parts of the country come to Sochi to spend their vacation near the sea. Soon those people who have already seen the show leave Sochi and some new people keep coming and coming to Sochi – these new people haven’t seen the show yet.
As far as I understand even in Moscow they can’t skate the same show for so many times. So they spend summer in Sochi and go to other cities in autumn or in winter.