Ted Barton interviews Eteri Tutberidze | Page 7 | Golden Skate

Ted Barton interviews Eteri Tutberidze

Casual

On the Ice
I get what you're saying though. I just watched Yu-na Kim's 2009 Dance Macabre at 4CC on youtube - fun! - Brian Orser was banging the boards to every jump.

It must be so rewarding, molding the most talented girls and boys in the world into brilliant artists and athletes, and then watching them shine.

(Still not jealous. Teenage girls are THE WORST! LOL)

[email protected]

Medalist
Record Breaker
When the irreverent cartoon South Park made fun of Brian Boitano with the tongue-in-cheek song "What would Brian Boitano do," Brian reacted by saying, "Hey, I'm just glad I'm well-known enough to be made fun of."

:laugh: :yes:

Yes, I remember that cartoon - it was hillarious in general but Brian Boitano part was just funny without direct abuses like Wanona Ryder or late Saddam received. At the same time, I don't think that making fun of Eteri would be a nice thing today in such a heated atmosphere.

On Orser and Tutberidze, mother of Lizbet just made a big interview. She praises both coaches but admits that going to Orser was a mistake. She expected that he would work with her daughter 24/7. But in reality they were on their own with Orser being busy elsewhere. With Eteri she sees dedication.

DSQ

Record Breaker
Country
United-Kingdom
On Orser and Tutberidze, mother of Lizbet just made a big interview. She praises both coaches but admits that going to Orser was a mistake. She expected that he would work with her daughter 24/7. But in reality they were on their own with Orser being busy elsewhere. With Eteri she sees dedication.

Different strokes; different folks. I think it’s just a difference in philosophy of coaching. I think I see where she’s coming from, if I had a child I’d much prefer the Skating school method where the coach structures almost the whole day with different teachers every day and only “homework” where you train independently.

On the other hand perhaps it’s better to emphasise independent training as the main way to go? Ultimately you will be alone on the ice and no one will win that medal for you but you.

It really depends on the skater themselves what method is better.

Do you have a link to that interview?

Spinning

On the Ice
On the other hand perhaps it’s better to emphasise independent training as the main way to go? Ultimately you will be alone on the ice and no one will win that medal for you but you.

It really depends on the skater themselves what method is better.

Not when you have to pay over $125,000 a year. No obviously you would expected a lot more from your coach.

Spinning

On the Ice
How do you know Orser earns that much a year from Evgenia?
We talk about lil' beth here. I get that number from a former TCC skater's mom. And it was a yearly training expenses at TCC. No mention Eugenia from me at all.

melgirl25

Medalist
We talk about lil' beth here. I get that number from a former TCC skater's mom. And it was a yearly training expenses at TCC. No mention Eugenia from me at all.

Sorry, my bad. Well I am imagining her expenses are that if not similar anyway.

Anyway, the amount of independent time does concern me as well.

el henry

Go have some cake. And come back with jollity.
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
I’m not sure this is the right place to talk about Brian Orser and Lil Bet? :confused:

But FWIW, Brian explained his method of coaching in his interview with Jackie Wong. I don’t think any skater can complain they’re not getting their money’s worth with Brian, he explained he only takes a certain amount of skaters precisely because he wants them all to get the attention they need. ETA: whether they are comfortable with the training method is another question, and every skater should find the method that best suits them. :)

if a skater feels like they aren’t getting their full due with Brian, they can leave, and there are ten skaters waiting to take their place.:laugh:

Now, back to Ted Barton’s interview:biggrin:

Last edited:

eaglehelang

Final Flight
Not when you have to pay over $125,000 a year. No obviously you would expected a lot more from your coach.
I suppose $125,000 all in, including off ice trainer fees?

Hmm, Orser charges per hour. From previous reports, Libet gets 30 min one on one with Orser. Same as the junior skater Shingo Nishiyama.
Then, there are classes with Tracy Wilson, Ghislain Briand, off ice training.

I would reckon the seniors like Yuzuru, Javier get 1 hour one on one.

Though I find it a bit odd Lilibet didnt go back to Eteri soon after OG 2014. She had visa problems getting into Canada

Tolstoj

Record Breaker
I suppose $125,000 all in, including off ice trainer fees?

Hmm, Orser charges per hour. From previous reports, Libet gets 30 min one on one with Orser. Same as the junior skater Shingo Nishiyama.
Then, there are classes with Tracy Wilson, Ghislain Briand, off ice training.

I would reckon the seniors like Yuzuru, Javier get 1 hour one on one.

Though I find it a bit odd Lilibet didnt go back to Eteri soon after OG 2014. She had visa problems getting into Canada

I'm not sure you can treat Orser as a one year coach he wouldn't accept you, and like you all said, their training methods are different, which mean Lilibet needed time to get used to it. Also at the time results were coming in juniors, so why would you leave?

In the interview though she did say negotiations with Eteri started a while ago, and they always stayed in touch with her, so it's possible they were thinking to come back even before Pyeongchang Olympics.

Amei

Record Breaker

Well one would hope that prior to moving coaches/taking a student on that there would be a pretty decent understanding of what you are walking into

el henry

Go have some cake. And come back with jollity.
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Well one would hope that prior to moving coaches/taking a student on that there would be a pretty decent understanding of what you are walking into

:thumbsup:

ETA: Not directed at you, Amei, just jumping off on your post:

have no idea what LilBet or her mother were thinking or did.

I do know, again for anyone who cared to listen to the interview, that Brian had a conversation with Zhenya and others (possibly her mother) that lasted for a good long time. He even had a Russian translator present so there could be no misunderstanding.

What Zhenya expected, and what fans may expect, could obviously be very different.

Last edited:

moriel

Record Breaker
When people complain of Eteri vs diet and eating habits, they seem to forget this is kind of standard in sport.
I mean, check Buianova's interview on Kovtun losing weigh earlier this season.
Check rythmic gymnastics and Irina Viner.

What Zhenya expected, and what fans may expect, could obviously be very different.
As for what Zhenya expected, we know from her interviews that she did not entirely expect such coaching approach, see all the interviews that mention her first training sessions, and how Brian needed to spend more time with her in detriment to other students.
There is a thing, this approach is VERY different from how coaching tends to be done in Russia, so when you say "oh they had a 3 hours interview with a translator present and of course they figured it out", chances are they didn't.

andromache

Record Breaker
When people complain of Eteri vs diet and eating habits, they seem to forget this is kind of standard in sport.
I mean, check Buianova's interview on Kovtun losing weigh earlier this season.
Check rythmic gymnastics and Irina Viner.

Can you provide a link to the Buianova interview about Kovtun?

Anyway, just because it's the "standard in sport" doesn't make it okay. Figure skating is one day going to have to confront the issues related to dieting, body image, etc. that are endemic to the sport. As more skaters become brave enough to go public with their struggles with eating disorders, hopefully the culture will be forced to change. We should NOT just accept that this is how the sport has to be.

moriel

Record Breaker

Anyway, just because it's the "standard in sport" doesn't make it okay. Figure skating is one day going to have to confront the issues related to dieting, body image, etc. that are endemic to the sport. As more skaters become brave enough to go public with their struggles with eating disorders, hopefully the culture will be forced to change. We should NOT just accept that this is how the sport has to be.

Cant find her right now, was somewhere early this year.
But here Kovtun speaking himself: https://tass.ru/sport/5944023
She told him to lose 11kg in abour 3 weeks. He had already lost 3kg at the moment this demand was made.

- - - Updated - - -

As for "standard in sport", i mean there is no point in bashing one specific coach for it, as it is standard in sport. Just bash everybody, and dislike everybody.

SkySkater

On the Ice
Cant find her right now, was somewhere early this year.
But here Kovtun speaking himself: https://tass.ru/sport/5944023
She told him to lose 11kg in abour 3 weeks. He had already lost 3kg at the moment this demand was made.

For me though the difference between Kovtun and some of the young Eteri girls is primarily the difference in age as Kovtun is 23 years old. This that he is more than ten years older then some of the younger Eteri girls like Valieva and Usacheva and especially considering at that age they should be putting on weight and not held to a restrictive diet. To contrast Kovtun is at least through puberty so dieting is less likely to weaken his bones and both physically and mentally more mature which is my gut reaction to these two cases is quite different. Furthermore Kovtun says that he worked with a dietician and the key part of it was for him to loose weight without loosing strength which in my opinion at least shows that there is some effort to make sure it is done in as healthy a way it can be considering how much weight was lost which does reassure me because at least Kovtun is loosing the weight in an educated way instead of just running as big a calorie deficit as possible to loose the weight.

andromache

Record Breaker
For me though the difference between Kovtun and some of the young Eteri girls is primarily the difference in age as Kovtun is 23 years old. This that he is more than ten years older then some of the younger Eteri girls like Valieva and Usacheva and especially considering at that age they should be putting on weight and not held to a restrictive diet. To contrast Kovtun is at least through puberty so dieting is less likely to weaken his bones and both physically and mentally more mature which is my gut reaction to these two cases is quite different. Furthermore Kovtun says that he worked with a dietician and the key part of it was for him to loose weight without loosing strength which in my opinion at least shows that there is some effort to make sure it is done in as healthy a way it can be considering how much weight was lost which does reassure me because at least Kovtun is loosing the weight in an educated way instead of just running as big a calorie deficit as possible to loose the weight.

Not to mention that Kovtun is an adult and ultimately responsible for his own decisions, whereas preteens/young teenagers are impressionable and easily influenced and they're simply doing what their coach tells them to do because they are too young to question it.