Tennell withdraws from Nationals | Page 2 | Golden Skate

Tennell withdraws from Nationals

Skater Boy

Record Breaker
I think we knew this would happen. It is sad as she was the "top" US skater in this quad that you could count on as a senior. I hope she heals and can leave on he terms. Sadly I don't think petitioning will succeed. If she can't compete a month before the olymics how realisitc is it for to think can compete in a month? This isn't a cold. I wish her well if she wants to compet on the world stage again but she needs to deal with the injury.

surimi

Congrats to Sota, #10 in World Standings!
Record Breaker
Poor Bradie, I wish her a full recovery, no matter how long it takes. Perhaps longer time off the ice is necessary? She has done the right thing for her health, and now let's see if she can get lucky and get the right diagnosis and the right treatment. Stay strong, Bradie! 🍀

mrrice

Record Breaker
While I find this to be a sad announcement, it is definitely not surprising. I think we all thought it was telling that Bradie hadn't posted a single video of her jumping. I remember wondering why they hadn't posted a recent clip of her skating smoothly even without jumps, just to show how she was progressing. I have to wonder whether she'll continue especially after she watches the Olympics go by without her. Maybe she'll be motivated to finish her career on high note and skate one more season. She's a brilliant skater and I just hope she'll find a way to get past this season and its disappointments. :(

Last edited:

skatefan17

On the Ice
Bradie has held US womens skating down since Ashley Wagner has retired and it’s been such a pleasure seeing her continual progress each season. You truly get the sense that she loves skating when you see her live. Her consistency (YES she is consistent! Despite 1-2 stumbles over the last four years) really helped hold US skating down. She deserves to rest now and I cannot wait to see her back on the ice at a later date!

apgold

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
How horrible and frustrating for Bradie in an Olympic season. She worked so hard last year to regain her national title, too.

She is turning 24 at the end of January, so I hope she has a couple of years left in her of competing once she gets the rest and treatment she needs.

Lamente Ariane

Skating Skills -5, Fashion +3, Camp +4
Record Breaker
I'm so sorry Bradie is going through this. It's good that it sounds like she has a lot of supportive people around her, and that she made the right decision for her own health. I hope to see her skating again when she's healed up and ready.

R.D.

Record Breaker
Wow :eek: Well that is unfortunate, both for her and US skating.

Given that it's an Olympic year I wonder if she would have a shot at the team via petition, but if she's not good enough to go now, not sure if an extra couple of weeks would make much of a difference (I'm thinking Kwan 2006).

From what I can remember of her, she's had a decent career though. Even a couple of US titles if I recall correctly. And she already got to go to the Olympics once as well. She seems to have been (generally) a steady hand for US skating since the Wagner/Gold era ended round 2016 or so.

Amei

Record Breaker
Wow :eek: Well that is unfortunate, both for her and US skating.

Given that it's an Olympic year I wonder if she would have a shot at the team via petition, but if she's not good enough to go now, not sure if an extra couple of weeks would make much of a difference (I'm thinking Kwan 2006).

From what I can remember of her, she's had a decent career though. Even a couple of US titles if I recall correctly. And she already got to go to the Olympics once as well.

She has the opportunity based on what Jackie Wong has said to petition to be put on the team, but I made the point earlier in the thread is 4 weeks really going to be enough time for her to make a difference with this foot since the last 6 months haven't resolved the problem and get her into competitive shape to compete at the Olympics? I think its quite telling that she's not even attempting to go out and do watered down content of all doubles at Nationals - that makes me think she's still injured this isn't just her being out of condition. And I was against Kwan getting put on the 06 Olympic team having not competed all year but she was at least an 8-time defending National champ at that point, Tennell doesn't have the BOW that Kwan

Hopefully her & her team have been trying to do short recoveries and that is the reason there is still a problem with her foot; now that the Olympics is pretty much out of the picture she can take the necessary time off to completely heal the foot problem and come back and continue skating and go out on her own terms vs. due to this injury.

Joekaz

On the Ice
There is no point in Tennell petitioning, when even at her best, she would be lucky to be top 8 in this Olympic field.

R.D.

Record Breaker
She has the opportunity based on what Jackie Wong has said to petition to be put on the team, but I made the point earlier in the thread is 4 weeks really going to be enough time for her to make a difference with this foot since the last 6 months haven't resolved the problem and get her into competitive shape to compete at the Olympics? I think its quite telling that she's not even attempting to go out and do watered down content of all doubles at Nationals - that makes me think she's still injured this isn't just her being out of condition. And I was against Kwan getting put on the 06 Olympic team having not competed all year but she was at least an 8-time defending National champ at that point...

I think the issue with doing that is that it likely wouldn't be enough to get her into the Top Three if she were to take that approach. I recall Wagner in 2018, she may have been recovering from some injury at that time as well and put together a respectable, if sub-par for her standard, skate and still ended up 4th and off the team. I assume a competitor of Tennell's type would not want to be out there at 30-40% and risk further complication, even with OLYs on the line. Hard as it might be for her, she made the right call here to WD.

I agree that Tennell lacks the credentials that Kwan had at the time of her '06 petition. (I also have my opinion on how that saga went down as well, but it was 15 years ago so ancient history anyhow.) Unless there is a significant drop in skater quality between her, Liu, Chen and the rest of field (I don't see there to be much of one, but we'll see), she may be SOL here - but like I said before, it's not like she's missing out on having the OLY experience for the first time.

Speaking of which, it makes me wonder...does it truly hurt more for those who miss out on a 1st trip to the Olympics (through injury/illness) than those who miss out on 2nd/3rd/etc. trips? :scratch2: (rhetorical...)

alexocfp

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
If Bradie is somehow fully healed in the next few weeks, she absolutely should be given a chance to get an Olympic berth, being that she didn’t lose her title in the rink.

Especially given what her countrywomen did this year. A healthy Bradie would be the favorite this year as well.

Joubabe

On the Ice
Country
United-States
So sad that Bradie had to withdraw after working so hard to get back to the Olympics. I will miss you at Nationals Bradie and at the Olympics. I believe that a healthy Bradie would have made the team. Heal up and come back strong next year!