The Future of Four Continents | Golden Skate

The Future of Four Continents

As it stands now and as it has been since it started, the Four Continents Championships (is that the correct title?) has been an event for the lower level skaters from the US and uneven in terms of the level of Asian and Canadian skaters competing.

However, I think, and hope, that as the Japanese, Chinese, and Canadian (did I leave anybody out?) skaters become more of a force that 4CC will become more like Europeans in terms of importance. If so, I think the US will start sending its top skaters as well as up and comers who need the competitive experience.

Comments?

Rgirl

CDMM1991

Medalist
In my opinion there are two things that could happen with Four Continents:

1. Everyone could follow the pattern of the Japanese, Chinese, and Canadian federations and start sending their top competitors, so it would become an equivalent to Europeans. (Like what Rgirl said)

2. Everyone could start following the pattern of the American federation, something I already see Canada drifting into as it becomes more of a force, and only send their up-an-coming skaters who need the experience.

Neither of these are a bad thing. With the first option you get a great competition that could be a preview for Worlds and/or Olys, and with the second option you might get to see a glimpse of the future, and it would almost become kind of a Junior Worlds II, or a level of competition closer to Nebelhorn, or a competition like that. Both would have their advantages, they would just be very different competitions. When I was much younger I got to see a 4 Continents competition live, and it was a great competition, despite not having the biggest names in skating there whatsoever.

Antilles

Medalist
I think people will go more by way of the U.S. than the other way around. I think the travel time involved, and the timing of the event itself creates this issue.

nymkfan51

Medalist
I would like to see it become more important ... maybe we should start this year by sending Michelle! :clap:

I think the ISU has to rethink the entire competitive schedule and it's timing.
The GP series has proven to be a problem for skaters. You continually see withdrawals, more so each year.
Maybe they could start the season a few weeks sooner so everything isn't so bunched up come December. And maybe limit the number of events in an Olympic year. There's a lot they could do that would invite more participation from the athletes and provide a better product for we the consumers.

How important are Euros? Figure Skating is basically a European sport and I would think that there is a lot of tradition behind the competition. I'm not aware of any high level European skater not going to Euros. Air schedules are quite easy between European capitals.

Somehow 4Cs never got into the traditional frame of mind. How many Asians would be interested in flying off to Colorado Springs to skate a non descript competition? or N.americans flying off to Beijing for 4Cs?

Exhausting for skaters requiring packing for at least 6-7 days and checking equipment to go through the Jet Lag Stage, the Practice Stage and finally the Competition. - and then repacking and returning with another jet lag. And how much time between it and the Worlds or Olys? One has to think seriously.

Now, if they had a N. and S.American Competition and also an Asian Competition, it would make for an easier decision.

Joe

merrywidow

Record Breaker
I believe there is an Asian Championship held each year. I don't know much about it but am certain I've heard a little about it on skating boards. I agree that 4CC's will always struggle because of the travel/distance problems. Add to that the fact that the US, Canada, Japan & now China all have large National competitions which the European nations (exception: Russia) do not. IMO, Europeans is a competition for the various national champions to compete against each other & see how well they fare & stack up against one another & the Russians.

screech

Final Flight
Up until last season, Canada was always sending their top competitors - those who placed 1-3 at Canadians. It was just last year that for some reason they opted not to (I think it was timing) and I've heard that Skate Canada actually paid the top competitors NOT to go to the event. Guaranteed this year will be the same, what with the Olympics coming, and I doubt that the top Asian skaters will go because of the location and timing. I think it would be cool if they did a North American competition like they used to like 50 years ago. That would be an awesome battle, but it still wouldn't have the same prestige as the Euros, because Skate Canada and USFSA would not use the event as a means of determining their world teams or anything like that.

euterpe

Medalist
I think you will still see Chinese and Japanese skaters at 4CC. But they may or may not be the same skaters who go to Torino.

The Japanese have at least 3 top men, but only one spot at Torino. They have lots of choices as to who to send to 4CC, including Oda, Takahashi and Nanri.

Because 4CC is being held in the US, we may see some of the top men and ladies from the US skating there. If B/A can't go to Torino, they will be at 4CC, and there are lots of really good US Ice Dance teams to choose from, including those who don't make it for Torino. If Tanith doesn't get her citizenship, neither will Max Zavozin, so M/Z would be free to do 4CC.

I am convinced that if Kwan skates at Nationals, she will do 4CC before going to Torino.

Canada didn't send their top skaters to 4CC, and that was a mistake. If Joannie had gone to 4CC, she might have skated a heck of a lot better at Worlds.

R.D.

Record Breaker
Four Continents is a HUGE part of the globe to cover. At least Europe is small, so a European competition is feasible and easy for everyone there.

I like the idea of splitting it into two and having a North American championship and an Asian championship. (Asia is a lot bigger than Europe, yes, but at least it's in "the area".)

Of course there will be a 4Cs contest with 2nd tier skaters but that's the point of the thread. Where are the top tier skaters?

Joe

Pixie Cut

On the Ice
Joesitz said:
Of course there will be a 4Cs contest with 2nd tier skaters but that's the point of the thread. Where are the top tier skaters?

Joe

The U.S. set the tone the very first year of the Four Continents Championships, when they sent a team virtually devoid of World Team members. And that was with an event in Canada, so there was little flight time. After that, most of the other countries followed suit. Even though U.S. ice dancers have supported the event, the singles skaters never have -- even in 2001 when it was a test event of the Olympic arena in Salt Lake City. Doubt that's going to change.

attyfan

Custom Title
Medalist
Since the European Championships have been around for about 75 years, it is more prestigious than the 4CCs. I also have heard that most European countries don't even name their World (or Oly) teams until after Euros -- Yags, IIRC, earned his way onto the 2002 Oly team by winning Euros, even though he was not at Russian Nats. Hence, top skaters often go to secure their places on the team. The US, however, names its team on the basis of Nats. If the US followed Japan's lead of last season, where the 4CCs was used as a skate-off to determine if Fumie or Yoshie would go to Worlds, then IMO, more top skaters would go.

Good points attnfan - Make the decision on who goes to Worlds or Olys based on outcome of 4Cs. But is it fair to the skaters who have to travel such long distances with all the to do I listed above and then face the Worlds or Olys a short time later?

When I was working I had many 9+ hour long trips. One doesn't arrive refreshed and it takes a few days to aclimatize. Then maybe face another 9+ hour long trip for the most important competitions, is to me, somewhat rough.

My point is to break up 4Cs to a) Asia and b) Americas. Then insist that the winners go to Worlds (or Olys).

Joe

cygnus

Rinkside
Joesitz My point is to break up 4Cs to a) Asia and b) Americas. Then insist that the winners go to Worlds (or Olys). Joe[/QUOTE said:
Yes, but surely a competition made up of only Canadians/Americans (with a couple of Mexicans thrown in) would not be nearly as interesting as adding the Chinese/Japanese (with a couple of Australians) into the mix? I recognize the problems of travel and the distances involved, but there are just too few countries with quality skaters in the Americas and Asia for 2 more separate continents-only competitions to be much more interesting than the current format.

I do see the problems with the current format, but I rather like seeing some new faces in the current 4CCs competitions. Japan and the US certainly have more
than 3 ladies who are interesting to watch, and it's good to see some of the others get a chance at a bigger comp- same with the Candian and US men (and now the Japanese?). If countries want to use it as a qualifying comp, then fine- it's a good use for it, if others want to use it to give some international exposure to their up and coming skaters, then fine too.

Good point Cygnus - What I was thinking about was that each N.American country would be permitted to send 6 skaters in each discipline and include lower tier skaters.

Joe

merrywidow

Record Breaker
The 2005 Asian Figure Skating Championships were just held earlier in Nov (9th-13th I think). You can read about them on the Kiss & Cry Board at FSU. It sounds as tho some of their lesser known skaters were sent to that & maybe that would make sense for an American FS Championship. Send your 2nd tier skaters or up & comers or skaters who need international experience, then use 4CC's for some of your top skaters.