The future of Tutberidze's group | Page 3 | Golden Skate

The future of Tutberidze's group

ribbit

On the Ice
It's stage makeup. Made to be visible to the on-site audience.

How does that make a difference? And it’s more than just making features visible, I have noticed heavy red lipstick, dark eyeshadow and even false eyelashes on 13 and 14 year olds.

I don't often get to watch the juniors, so I can't comment on the suitability of Eteri's skaters' makeup. But the basic principle of stage makeup is that the makeup has to exaggerate the features so that they can be seen from far away, which in turn allows changes of expression to be seen from far away. It's hard to see someone's face even from the back half of the stalls/orchestra of a theatre, let alone the top balcony. To help people beyond the first few rows appreciate all the subtle facial expressions that go into a great performance, and to keep performers from having to overact to project their performances beyond those first few rows, performers and makeup artists use precisely those tricks you mentioned: dark eyeshadow, heavy eyeliner, false eyelashes (to make the eyes and their movements--a subtle narrowing or widening of the eyes, for example--visible); dark lipstick (easier to see from far away than lighter shades, and essential for reading facial expressions); and sometimes heavier blush or contouring of the cheekbones than you would see in street makeup. You'll see the same thing if you look at images of dancers made up for performance.

But the trade-off, of course, is that the same makeup that's essential in the theatre or arena looks overdone in close-up. Filmed performances of stage plays often have a similar problem; you can see the makeup much more clearly than the live audience can, and the obvious artifice can be distracting. Performers have to choose the audience they're making up for. For actors and dancers, the primary audience is obviously the people in the theatre with them. I assume the same reasoning applies to skaters: not only does an engaged live audience support and encourage them as they perform, but that engagement can influence the judges' perceptions of their performance. Looking overly made-up to a television audience may be a reasonable price to pay for that boost.

Edwin

СделаноВХрустальном!
Record Breaker
Regarding music choices considered appropriate for age or gender, isn't this culturally defined? Sensitivity to this certainly seems to be. I don't think people like Tutberidze or Gleikhengauz will want to make their skaters look like vulgar tarts either in appearance through makeup or through music choice. All those so called 'borderline' songs only have sexual innuendo in certain cultures, layers of society and gender.

Next week, in Chelyabinsk a 15 y.o. Japanese skater will perform to a song considered very controversial by many because it touches upon something completely different. Something so fundamentally wrong, I fail to comprehend what made her trainer and artistic director even consider to stage a program to such a song. Big Spender, Je Suis Malade, etc. are staged for those young skaters in the full knowledge and consciousness by their staff. Songs like Strange Fruit will never pass by Tutberidze, never.

comixarma

Rinkside
I would like to see them bring in an outside choreographer. All of the programs are starting to look alike.

It's a signature. The artist calls it "voice"

And a mark of success that we can recognize the artistry & choreography of Eteri & Danil

I don't want them to change anything

colormyworld240

Medalist
How does that make a difference? And it’s more than just making features visible, I have noticed heavy red lipstick, dark eyeshadow and even false eyelashes on 13 and 14 year olds.

Stage makeup is made to be seen by the audience even at the very back. You're watching from the angle of a close up camera, so of course it looks heavier to you. But the person sitting at the back of the area wouldn't think so. They'd only see eyes thanks to the dark eye shadow, and lips thanks to the intense colour. That's the point of stage makeup - used not just in FS but in many art forms. As for the red lipstick, it's to fit the character/program. There was nothing wrong with Haein's; it suited her program. For example, Kitri often is style with a bold red lip, and she's a child.

kalee

On the Ice
What is Sarabande Suite about? I’ve always wondered. I can hear in the lyrics “Earthly prophet, break free” and “Amen” a lot, but I don’t know what the song is saying. So, was it appropriate for a 13 year old?

Globus is a symphonic rock band and that makes Sarabande Suite a rock song with some Christian theme in the lyrics. What's important though was that the 13 year old Nastya was able to take that music and interpret it into a story that she could identify with.
This is an excerpt from an interview that AKTKN translated in Nastya's Fan Fest thread of that season:

- You have interesting programs.

- I like them very much. I am in these programs like a fish in the water. I'm not trying to portray something. I skate what was in my life, myself.

- For example.

- For example, my father is at work all day, and when he comes home, every evening he asks how I trained, what news. Sometimes it happens that I tell him, but he does not understand. And this is reflected in my short program. I explain something a thousand times, but he does not hear me. I'm anxious. And my leap is as an exclamation: "How can't you hear me?" Next I try to show those feelings. And when I wink at the end, it means that everything turned out well. I have achieved my goal. He has understood me. The music of Ludovico Einaudi is very suitable for such a program.

- The Free - very strong music "Saraband Suite" by the group "Globus". Such church music. We go to church every weekend with parents. And this is the feeling that I'm in the temple, I pray - this is what I'm trying to convey in my program. This is the first part and the step sequence. And then the music becomes even more powerful, and in it I put all my experiences, tears, joy, emotions. I remember all the good and bad. And by this force I convey everything.

Lechat

On the Ice
Country
France
Hmmmmm I think managing more seniors at the same time is very challenging. I’m happy to see that they started to adjust the program and not to impose like before when it was a do or die.

Edwin

СделаноВХрустальном!
Record Breaker
Hmmmmm I think managing more seniors at the same time is very challenging. I’m happy to see that they started to adjust the program and not to impose like before when it was a do or die.

Yes, this senior quartet and the junior quartet (Kanysheva, Usachyova, Khromykh, Valiyeva) keep them quite occupied. Plus the select few boys.
But if you love your work, you don't care to work a little harder towards the best results. Perhaps it is just a matter of solid time management, delegation of lesser task, keeping discipline at a high level, so time and energy are not wasted but used in the most effective way.

Nothing but respect for their dedication and the energy and hours that they put in their skaters.