The men's podium in Nice | Golden Skate

The men's podium in Nice

skateluvr

Record Breaker
Should all the other guys stay home? Was there a 30 point spread? I have not seen Chan's long, just Daisuke SP., and Chan SP.

Hanyu seems like he might outskate Dai. Do you see the two Japanese as silver/bronze? Abbott possible for bronze? These men must feel they are not worth much.

It seems only Hanyu, out of what we are seeing now will be able to come close to Chan at Sochi. The mens event is decided. This is like seeing Yuna crowned. I see young Hanyu as with luck developing his presentation and being consistent, able to match Patrick with jumps. His only visible at this point competition unless Artur improves a lot and has home turf points. This will be very boring contest for men next few years. Javi may threaten for silver or bronze, but it is a lock. Chan must be sleeping like a baby. Can't wait to see this skate. (4cc LPof Chan)

It does not seem like any men should have any hope of World or Olympic gold unless Chan gets injured and misses a season. Not until 2015, anyway.

Blades of Passion

Skating is Art, if you let it be
Record Breaker
Country
France
Gold - PATRICK CHAN
Silver - DAISUKE TAKAHASHI
Bronze - YUZURU HANYU

The battle for the Bronze is the deepest and most unpredictable of all the disciplines, though. Kozuka, Abbott, Gachinski, Fernandez, Brezina, Amodio, and Joubert are all in the running in addition to my above prediction.

spikydurian

Medalist
:think:Hmmm I think Dai has a shot in Nice if he gets his quads on time. Top two a fight between them both. Bronze ... will be an American, Japanese or Russian. :)
Good luck to all the skaters.

sky_fly20

Match Penalty
Should all the other guys stay home? Was there a 30 point spread? I have not seen Chan's long, just Daisuke SP., and Chan SP.

Hanyu seems like he might outskate Dai. Do you see the two Japanese as silver/bronze? Abbott possible for bronze? These men must feel they are not worth much.

It seems only Hanyu, out of what we are seeing now will be able to come close to Chan at Sochi. The mens event is decided. This is like seeing Yuna crowned. I see young Hanyu as with luck developing his presentation and being consistent, able to match Patrick with jumps. His only visible at this point competition unless Artur improves a lot and has home turf points. This will be very boring contest for men next few years. Javi may threaten for silver or bronze, but it is a lock. Chan must be sleeping like a baby. Can't wait to see this skate. (4cc LPof Chan)

It does not seem like any men should have any hope of World or Olympic gold unless Chan gets injured and misses a season. Not until 2015, anyway.

wait are u asking who will take gold in Nice or in Sochi ?
because I am not sold on yet Chan is guaranteed Gold in Sochi,
a lot can happen in 2 years time and other skaters could have their peak at that time even Pluschenko will be back

2012 Worlds
I see Chan, Takahashi and Hanyu on the podium

periperi

On the Ice
Hm

Podium that I want:

Gold: Kozuka (Yes, I'm delusional.)
Silver: Abbott
Bronze: Chan

Podium that I predict:

Gold: Chan
Silver: Takahashi
Bronze: Honestly, I can't make up my mind. It's wide open.

sunny0760

On the Ice
The mens event is decided. This is like seeing Yuna crowned.

Respectively disagree with skatluvr.
For me, mens' field is the most exciting of the 4 disciplines and I will watch top men skate at competitions, holding my breaths.
Chan seems to aspire to get better and so do the other guys. Well, we can predict with the past result and our conception of skaters' ability, often being clouded by our own favortism but the competitors always try to win and to improve. All the time.

The results of this year's worlds will be interesting but they won't be so crucial in order to prospect on Sochi, because anything can happen in two years. I admit that Chan is starting to show some kind of dominance since last year and I hope he continues to skate briliantly without big injuries. However, if other guys also keep their A games, the men's discipline will look so great.

And did you think Yuna's win was a lock, too? Well, I did not. I don't know what about others but every competition has some kind of unpredictibilty, surprise factors, more or less. That's why we get excited.

PS. Oh I don't want to say my prediction. I see periperi's dream podium. Mine will also be the one which includes Jeremy Abbott.:love:

Last edited:

TelmoFe

Rinkside
1st place... Chan will win, I'm positive 95%, fairly or not, but I believe that he will skate well like he has done lately.

2nd place... this is for Daisuke.. he can win, but has to be perfect. If he do few mistakes the silver is for him.

3rd place... bronze is for Gashinski, no? Or Florent with the crowd in his favor... Takahiko has to surprise and be diferent that all season... Jeremy has to be very good. I don't know yet!

emma

Record Breaker
I have no idea....I think this is yet another occasion where there are a lot of potential men's podium picks (something that has been going on since at least 2006 olympics, although we have witnessed many founder in the big moment then and since_).

It's very hard not to predict Chan for gold. My wish after that is Dai and Jeremy in either order. After that, I would love to see Jubert do well, just because. After that, I would love everyone to do well and feel good. Couldn't predict silver through about 10 even if I was paid a lot of money to do so.

FTnoona

Final Flight
I think it's a little too early to say that Hanyu will be a potential threat to Chan. He hasn't even beaten Takahashi yet. His stamina issue is a big issue for his success. I don't think he'll make the podium because of this and because his PCS are not up there enough yet. He could only get so many points in TES to make up for his PCS. My fantasy podium would definitely have Hanyu at the top though (a girl can dream) :laugh:
I think the only one really locked for a podium spot is Chan because even on bad days he rotates his jumps. Chan's been having good skates too, so I think he'll do well at Nice. The other men seem to be pretty close score wise, so I think silver and bronze are up for grabs. I think for Takahashi, the thing it boils down to is if he is having a good jumping day or not, same with Abbott. If they do land there jumps I see them on the podium no doubt.

Last edited:

treeloving

Medalist
I think it's a little too early to say that Hanyu will be a potential threat to Chan. He hasn't even beaten Takahashi yet. His stamina issue is a big issue for his success. I don't think he'll make the podium because of this and because his PCS are not up there enough yet. He could only get so many points in TES to make up for his PCS. My fantasy podium would definitely have Hanyu at the top though (a girl can dream) :laugh:
I think the only one really locked for a podium spot is Chan because even on bad days he rotates his jumps. Chan's been having good skates too, so I think he'll do well at Nice. The other men seem to be pretty close score wise, so I think silver and bronze are up for grabs. I think for Takahashi, the thing it boils down to is if he is having a good jumping day or not, same with Abbott. If they do land there jumps I see them on the podium no doubt.

:cool:

FTnoona, you just said everything that I think.

seniorita

Record Breaker
My dream dream DREAM podium would be a Japanese sweep :love: I cant decide the order, any order would be amazing.
But I can be happy with many podium results!
At least I want Kozuka to skate his free to its potential. And Joubert to skate well in front of his home crowd. French audience is very supportive!

gmyers

Record Breaker
It was really really impressive at Euros how Gachinski added a second quad to his LP and skated his best programs of the entire season and captured the silver and eclipsed every other Euro man who was on the GP. It would be something if he kept that form and skated like that.

sky_fly20

Match Penalty
very unlikely, Gachinski usually peaks once and the rest not so much as his inconsistency, he peaked at Worlds last season looks like he peaked at Euros this season.
he will probably peak at GP by next season.

Yuzuru imo, is a lock for bronze

Jaana

Record Breaker
Country
Finland
Gold: Chan
Silver: Takahashi
Bronze: Gachinski (he will have plenty of fighting spirit, because he lost the title because of unfair judging at the Europeans)

Well, bronze could also be won by Hanyu, Kozuka or Fernandez. It would be great if Abbott could be on the podium, but that is very unlikely, in my opinion. Especially now as he won the Nationals...

sky_fly20

Match Penalty
Bronze: Gachinski (he will have plenty of fighting spirit, because he lost the title because of unfair judging at the Europeans)

:sheesh:
then Gachinski's bronze at 2011 Worlds was a fluke and home ground advantage

seniorita

Record Breaker

Huh? In this Euros? Have you seen Arthur's Lp live or at all for that matter besides the two quads and the axel? This is the first time I hear this. Mark down Plushenko 's pcs by 10 points and his TES by 5 points and he would have won still. Or it seems judges are unfair when it comes to Evgeni always and none else. Even same competition, same pannel.
I guess fair judging is only when Lysacek gets 90s with triple - triple in sp when he is clearly NOT Daisuke in anything else.
Sorry couldnt help it :p

mskater93

Record Breaker
I think Abbott and Taka will be fighting for the remaining two spots on the podium. For the first time that Jeremy has won a US title, he DIDN'T skate his absolute best (< on the Loop and 2S) and has A LOT to prove. He has been building slowly to that "perfect" performance (like he gave at Nationals in the Olympic season).

ivy

On the Ice
I would love to see Kozuka do something special, he's one of my favorites and is being overshadowed. While I think Daisuke is the probably silver medalist, he can be overtaken by any of the large group nipping at his heels. Long time favorites that let small mistakes creep into their program can be beaten - a la Mao at 4CC. Abbott, to me, has the most complete package of the challengers - choreography, presentation, footwork, spins and big jumps (when they're on ;) ) - and is the most likely to challenge Daisuke or nab the bronze. He, like the rest, has very little room for error.

ImaginaryPogue

Record Breaker
Gold - PATRICK CHAN
Silver - DAISUKE TAKAHASHI
Bronze - YUZURU HANYU

The battle for the Bronze is the deepest and most unpredictable of all the disciplines, though. Kozuka, Abbott, Gachinski, Fernandez, Brezina, Amodio, and Joubert are all in the running in addition to my above prediction.

I know you're quite fond of Hanyu's programs this year, but don't you think you're setting the bar a little high for what he's actually done this season? I know you qualified it with your comment, but still - what convinces you about Hanyu over everyone else?