The men's podium in Nice | Page 2 | Golden Skate

The men's podium in Nice

pangtongfan

Match Penalty
Gold - PATRICK CHAN
Silver - DAISUKE TAKAHASHI
Bronze - YUZURU HANYU

The battle for the Bronze is the deepest and most unpredictable of all the disciplines, though. Kozuka, Abbott, Gachinski, Fernandez, Brezina, Amodio, and Joubert are all in the running in addition to my above prediction.

Takahashi is probably the favorite for the silver but he is by no means even close to a lock for the silver. There is a definite battle for both the silver and bronze.

Joubert is also definitely not a medal contender, while Hanyu is.

Last edited:

Violet Bliss

Record Breaker
FFSG doesn't seem to think much of either Chan or Takahashi. Their official Worlds 2012 video features mostly Europeans and Worlds Silver Medalist Kozuka while Takahashi and even reigning Worlds Champion Chan are nowhere to be seen. Yuna, however, is selected to entice ticket buyers.

And the French reports on 4CC have it taking place in L.A. and Chan beating his compatriot Takahashi. I guess Takahashi represented China as Chan did according to the 4CC officials. :sheesh:

Buttercup

Record Breaker
FFSG doesn't seem to think much of either Chan or Takahashi. Their official Worlds 2012 video features mostly Europeans and Worlds Silver Medalist Kozuka while Takahashi and even reigning Worlds Champion Chan are nowhere to be seen. Yuna, however, is selected to entice ticket buyers.
Actually, all the skating clips in the video (with the exception of the older ones at the beginning) appear to have been taken from 2009 and 2010 TEB; the venue is easy to recognize. This is why Chan, Takahashi, D/W and V/T, to name a few, are not featured, while several skaters who are no longer competing (the Kerrs, Alban Preaubert) or no longer competing with the partners in the video (Samuelson and Bates, Chock and Zuerlein, Zhang and Toth) are. TEB tends to have quite a few European entries, and of course, a large contingent of French skaters.

I have no idea why only TEB footage was used; maybe it was a rights issue. I doubt there was any deeper meaning and/or deliberate snubbing of top skaters. I'm severely disappointed, however, that they did not use the two second audience clip in which I can sort of be seen.

Last edited:

Violet Bliss

Record Breaker
I just wondered why they didn't bother to use the current stars to promote the event. Is it not worth a little effort in selecting and putting those images together? This and CayoteChris's report of 4CC being a stealth event in Colorado Springs make me think more about the responsibilities of the figure skating federations' roles in the decline of popularity of the sport.

Buttercup

Record Breaker
I just wondered why they didn't bother to use the current stars to promote the event. Is it not worth a little effort in selecting and putting those images together? This and CayoteChris's report of 4CC being a stealth event in Colorado Springs make me think more about the responsibilities of the figure skating federations' roles in the decline of popularity of the sport.
The video was uploaded in September. Again, assuming there was a good reason for the exclusive use of TEB footage, this means that they were keeping it up to date with well-known skaters including Mao Asada, Virtue/Moir, Takahiko Kozuka and Savchenko/Szolkowy. I'm not sure who the target audience for this video is, but I suspect it's not people who are going to care much if it shows Yu-Na Kim and Takahiko Kozuka rather than, say, Carolina Kostner and Patrick Chan. And please don't take this the wrong way, but I doubt Patrick Chan would be considered that much of a major draw in Europe.

Naturally, Team France is well represented, with most of the French skaters who did TEB in those years, as well as having Joubert introduce the video and Amodio sign off.

I don't think Worlds is going to be a stealth event by any means. TEB is pretty well-attended, even though it's not as major a competition as Worlds. The ticket prices make me think that there is definitely a demand. And why not - who wouldn't want to go to Worlds in such a fabulous location?

Violet Bliss

Record Breaker
I would think Takahashi and Kostner should be big draws in Europe if Chan is not.

Everybody would want to go to Worlds in a such a fabulous location, if they know about it and if they have time and could afford it. General tourists may go anytime of their own choosing. Non intense fans need to be informed and enticed.

spikydurian

Medalist

And the French reports on 4CC have it taking place in L.A. and Chan beating his compatriot Takahashi. I guess Takahashi represented China as Chan did according to the 4CC officials. :sheesh:

:rofl:....:confused: I am flabbergasted. Why feature Yuna when she is not skating in Nice? Compatriots? :laugh: aka and Chan probably looks allike hence the assumption.

Blades of Passion

Skating is Art, if you let it be
Record Breaker
Country
France
I know you're quite fond of Hanyu's programs this year, but don't you think you're setting the bar a little high for what he's actually done this season? I know you qualified it with your comment, but still - what convinces you about Hanyu over everyone else?

Hanyu has the talent, the drive, and the competitive nerves. He got 4th at the GPF and the only reason he didn't get 3rd (or higher) is because he didn't have the reputation. The judges have seen him more now and, if he skates his SP as he did at Cup of China, he will be in the mix going into the LP and will almost surely do well in that portion of the competition. Being the 3rd Japanese Man is a detriment but I think he is likely to put a SP and LP together with all of the big technical goods, something that most everyone else will struggle with.

Joubert is also definitely not a medal contender.

Yes he is. Worlds is in France and he is a former World Champion. It all depends on whether or not he can get his act together.

Dragonlady

Final Flight
Hanyu has the talent, the drive, and the competitive nerves. He got 4th at the GPF and the only reason he didn't get 3rd (or higher) is because he didn't have the reputation.

It's not reputation. He doesn't have the speed, the flow, or the performance skills of the guys who finished above him. At times he just stops performing altogether and focusses on the elements, not to the same extent as Gachinksky, but enough that you notice it.

Violet Bliss

Record Breaker
Hanyu seems to rush from element to element, though much less so by GPF. Stamina of course is still an issue for him, especially when going against the top Men.

Blades of Passion

Record Breaker
Country
France
It's not reputation. He doesn't have the speed, the flow, or the performance skills of the guys who finished above him.

LMAO, that's just totally false. Hanyu absolutely has better speed and flow than Javier Fernandez. His overall performance skill is better as well because he is able to convey a broader range and he makes better use of his entire body (especially his hands and arms). Hanyu also has better spins and better positions in general. Oh, and he also outjumped Fernandez at the GPF (he outjumped EVERYONE at that competition, in fact) and has better jump technique in general.

seniorita

Record Breaker
Hanyu just turned 17, it is unfair to compare him with skaters 3years older than him, at this age at least. Who has landed the podium in their teen first years since Yag/Plu/Joub era? I had seen him in juniors worlds 2010 and it was clear he is a prodigy skater. He needs time to mature and will take the fs world by storm!:D

Blades of Passion

Record Breaker
Country
France
Hanyu seems to rush from element to element, though much less so by GPF. Stamina of course is still an issue for him, especially when going against the top Men.

This makes no sense to me at all. Hanyu pays very close attention to his music and conveys with his entire being. The one time I HAVE noticeably seen him rush the performance in competition this season was at the GPF (no doubt excited to compete against the top field in the World for the first time). The stamina issue holds true for everyone, except Patrick Chan it would seem. Regardless of Hanyu tending to really tire towards the end of his Long Program, he still has delivered better programs throughout the season than everyone except Chan and Takahashi at their best (and Plushenko at Europeans, but he's not going to be at Worlds).

Hanyu just turned 17, it is unfair to compare him with skaters 3years older than him, at this age at least. Who has landed the podium in their teen first years since Yag/Plu/Joub era? I had seen him in juniors worlds 2010 and it was clear he is a prodigy skater. He needs time to mature and will take the fs world by storm!:D

:confused: :confused: :confused:

It doesn't matter what age someone is. When you compete at an event you get to compared to others in that event. Hanyu is already better than almost everyone else in the World at 17 years old and if he skates his best he will deserve a medal.

Last edited:

Becki

Medalist
LMAO, that's just totally false. Hanyu absolutely has better speed and flow than Javier Fernandez. His overall performance skill is better as well because he is able to convey a broader range and he makes better use of his entire body (especially his hands and arms). Hanyu also has better spins and better positions in general. Oh, and he also outjumped Fernandez at the GPF (he outjumped EVERYONE at that competition, in fact) and has better jump technique in general.

I agree! In fact, I find him a lot faster than Javier....except for in the second half, but I think that was deliberate.

seniorita

Record Breaker
:confused: :confused: :confused:

It doesn't matter what age someone is. When you compete at an event you get to compared to others in that event. Hanyu is already better than almost everyone else in the World at 17 years old and if he skates his best he will deserve a medal.

LOL the reply wasnt for you, and I totally agree. I just meant that if Hanyu is not skating totally clean or rushing sometimes it is also because of age and if he gets more experience it is sure he will be better than the skaters he is compared now that are around 21 and much more experienced. He is already better of what they were at 17. Ok maybe I phrased it wrong but that is what I meant.

And yes Fernandez is slow, or he seemed to me slow. Maybe also the Lp didnt suit him, thats why.

pangtongfan

Match Penalty
Yes he is. Worlds is in France and he is a former World Champion. It all depends on whether or not he can get his act together.

He is well past his prime, his PCS are now super low (for a former top skateR), and he doesnt score that big even when he skates well (which is rare these days). He will do well to make top 10 at Worlds.

claphappy

On the Ice
1. Chan
2. Takahashi
3. p'ssssshhhhhhhhhhhhh
4. Brezina (because comedy comes in threes.)

And yes Fernandez is slow, or he seemed to me slow. Maybe also the Lp didnt suit him, thats why.

A little off topic, but sometime ago I was thinking about Fernandez's lp & found myself thinking, "You know who would make that look really good? Rippon."
I think next year he'll have a program that'll work better for him.

Violet Bliss

Record Breaker
1. Chan
2. Takahashi
3. p'ssssshhhhhhhhhhhhh
4. Brezina (because comedy comes in threes.)

You know how to pick odds. Brezina has come in 4th at Worlds 2010 and 2011, Euro 2010 and 2012, COR 2011, SC 2009, and Finlandia 2009. Outside of Senior B, he has won just one GP, SA 2011 and a Bronze at NHK 2009. This young man needs to step up, even just one step up.