The Ovations in Cleveland | Page 2 | Golden Skate

The Ovations in Cleveland

dutchherder

Final Flight
Evora and Ladwig's program was the pinnacle of the event for me.

One small note: Kristi Yamaguchi, Brian Boitano, and Caryn Cadavy were sitting two rows behind my friend and me at Nats and they gave Ryan Bradley's free skate a standing "o" and really seemed to enjoy watching his replays on the jumbotron-- sort of like, I can't believe he landed that thing.

dorispulaski

Wicked Yankee Girl
Country
United-States
Great to hear that Kristi & Brian liked Ryan's performances. I saw an interview that Ryan gave at Skate Canada where he said Brian and referred him to Kurt for a show, so my hope is that Ryan will have a future in what's left of show skating, even if he doesn't ever medal at Worlds. If Kurt, Kristi & Brian like you, the only one left to convince is Scott.

Tonichelle

Idita-Rock-n-Roll
Record Breaker
I don't think Scott needs much convincing... dude... if Kristi and Kurt like him then Scott doesn't have a prayer... he'll jump to their tune (eventually ;))

Ryan seems very much liked by past skaters... which is interesting :)

I know Keegan Messing has made an impression with Don Laws, Scott's former coach, apparently he told Keegan's mom that Keegan reminded him of a very young Scott. If Scott would just sit down and watch the junior mens (which judging by something he said during his commentary made me think that he was this time around) I would hope he'd see it too... :)

MFarone

Final Flight
Country
United-States
Keegan

Tonichelle that is really interesting about Keegan because the friends I was sitting with watching Keegan practice and compete kept saying that he reminded them of Scott Hamilton :clap:. I don't necessarily like Scott as a commentator, but always liked him as a competitor and show skater.

Maureen

Tonichelle

Idita-Rock-n-Roll
Record Breaker
people around us last year said the same thing, which is how we got into a conversation with his aunt who relayed the Don Laws story... she was so nervous for him in the LP it was cute!

samba

On the Ice
I'm the same way, Doris. Placements aren't the only thing.

I'm sure if you ask the athlete, how they feel to be last at the competition, they won't be too happy. I haven't seen too many teams return after poor placement. Not because they do not want to skate but it's not cheap to skate at this level. They sacrificed so much to be there, they do look at their placement as one of their incentives to help keep going. I know how much C/K had to go through to be able to perform there. It's not that fun.

dorispulaski

Wicked Yankee Girl
Country
United-States
Yes, it is very embarrassing for the skater in last place. However, this is Cyders and Krasniak's first season together. They have accomplished a lot just to get to nationals and get all their dance tests passed to compete at the senior level. This may be the only time we see them, because yes, it is terribly expensive to compete.

Tonichelle

Idita-Rock-n-Roll
Record Breaker
I wasn't speaking about how skaters should feel... I was just speaking about how I look at a team/skater... I don't care where they place if their program touches me in someway, to me that is all that matters.

ETA - this makes my 10,000th post.

dorispulaski

Wicked Yankee Girl
Country
United-States
:party: :cheer: Congratulations on your 10,000th post. Especially when it is such a nice summation of your attitutude to fandom.

Hooray!:clap:

I was sitting in back of Roslyn Sumners who stood up for Jeremy.

In back of me was Dorothy Hamil and Tenley Albright both of whom did a lot of nodding for everyone.

Tonichelle

Idita-Rock-n-Roll
Record Breaker
I sat next to Yuka, who slept through the whole thing....

yuka, of course, being my pug... not Yuka Sato ;)

koreasktr

Rinkside
I was so so impressed with how the Shibutanis handled OD. To wait an extra 10 minutes to skate must be horrible thing for a skater. I would be nervous.

There was blood on ice and judges had them pick things up off the ice. But they handled it like pros. :bow::bow:

Alex even joked around with referees/judges and audience.

They skate so strong and free and their performance was great.:rock: They got great standing ovation and I am sure they are fan favorites. Not just in the U.S. but all over world. Their charisma is contagious. They have a very bright future. :agree:

Tonichelle

Idita-Rock-n-Roll
Record Breaker
what happened in the Jr. OD???? (this is what happens when Toni goes to Disney and not nationals)

dorispulaski

Wicked Yankee Girl
Country
United-States
Shannon Wingle, who skates with Timothy McKernan, cut her hand badly. It bled on the ice. Also, there were some costume pieces on the ice. The ref had the Shibutanis picking things up for quite some time before they were able to skate, perhaps 10 minutes.

Tonichelle

Idita-Rock-n-Roll
Record Breaker
why'd the shibs have to pick it up, isn't that what the sweepers are for?

dorispulaski

Wicked Yankee Girl
Country
United-States
The sweepers had already left the ice. Why the ref went with the Shibs rather than the sweepers, I don't know.