Tim Dieck to team up with Olivia Smart for Spain | Page 2 | Golden Skate

Tim Dieck to team up with Olivia Smart for Spain

lilimum

On the Ice
Country
Germany
Normally I would say the German skaters shouldn't complain compared to other western countries. Many people compare with former Eastern Germany where Elite sports have been paid completely by government. For national team members still everything is paid by the federation if you use the federations infrastructure, but this year they cut the travel costs of the home coach. If the fed wouldn't have money this would be fine. But I think the real problem is that Germany has only 17 senior elite sportler in their national team and at least the same amount of full time overhead. The DEU is a stand alone Fed with 3 presidents, a managing director, a sports director a couple of fully paid national coaches, nobody is training with, and so on and so on. And all this staff is travelling around the world and the skater have to go to major events without their coaches.
On one hand I don't understand the German skaters expectation to get everything paid including very expensive training locations, this should be in their responsibilty, looking for sponsors etc.
On the other hand I agree when they are upset for what the German Fed is waisting money.

Jumping_Bean

Record Breaker
Where do you get your numbers from ? 50K CAD is about 33K in Euros... so pretty much, if you say that a Canadian pairs equivalent to Hocke and Kunkel gets 50K CAD, then they are getting about half of what a German team is getting since the soldier/police/athlete deals gets them about 30K Euros each...

Also, yes, there are more rinks, there are more coaches, there more opportunities in Canada as the Fed funds lower levels to create access and develop talent... the reality is still that it was still so much more than other sports when growing up that I had to live my passion watching and not skating... My family couldn't afford even the beginner classes in Canada... it is a sport reserved for people way above middle class, or at least it was when i was growing up...
https://skatecanada.ca/high-performance/resources/athletes-fund-external-funding/#tab-id-2
Canada athlete assistance program: $21,180 per year which is paid out individually for all athletes who are part of the program (so a pairs team would get twice the amount)
+ $2000 per international podium (Hocke/Kunkel had 4 this season) + $500 for their 9th place finish at Sr Worlds.

4everchan

Record Breaker
Country
Martinique
https://skatecanada.ca/high-performance/resources/athletes-fund-external-funding/#tab-id-2
Canada athlete assistance program: $21,180 per year which is paid out individually for all athletes who are part of the program (so a pairs team would get twice the amount)
+ $2000 per international podium (Hocke/Kunkel had 4 this season) + $500 for their 9th place finish at Sr Worlds.
Thanks for the numbers. So the base funding/salary for the senior card (not all athletes are carded of course... ) is then 21K CAD... which is very low compared to a 30K Euro for a solider/athlete... and for the bonuses based on performance, well, they are definitely harder to get when Skate Canada barely sends anyone to challengers :) and of course, they are costlier to get because said challengers are in Europe for the most part.. In any case, it's very interesting. It shows that our athletes really want to represent Canada because they could get better deals somewhere else :)

Last edited:

icewhite

Record Breaker
Normally I would say the German skaters shouldn't complain compared to other western countries. Many people compare with former Eastern Germany where Elite sports have been paid completely by government. For national team members still everything is paid by the federation if you use the federations infrastructure, but this year they cut the travel costs of the home coach. If the fed wouldn't have money this would be fine. But I think the real problem is that Germany has only 17 senior elite sportler in their national team and at least the same amount of full time overhead. The DEU is a stand alone Fed with 3 presidents, a managing director, a sports director a couple of fully paid national coaches, nobody is training with, and so on and so on. And all this staff is travelling around the world and the skater have to go to major events without their coaches.
On one hand I don't understand the German skaters expectation to get everything paid including very expensive training locations, this should be in their responsibilty, looking for sponsors etc.
On the other hand I agree when they are upset for what the German Fed is waisting money.

That sounds like a very good take. Yes, the frustration is understandable when you are the one actually doing the sport and then others who basically travel around and aren't necessary, using up the money you need to do the sport. But the expectation that the state will pay for everything is something that athletes might have to rethink.

Sabine

On the Ice
The average salary of a German sports soldier in 2019 was 2594.16 €, and athletes who were part of a national team received an additional 304.14 € per month (which was then increased to 600 €).

So, in 2019 they would have each received 2898.30 € monthly, i.e. a total of 5796.60 € for the two of them together. This adds up to 69,559.20 € per year.
Just to clarify the numbers. I don't know where you get the information from, but it's not right. A monthly soldier salary (sports soldiers too) starts at 1500€. That goes for about 1,5-2 years and then you can slowly start climbing up. If sport soldiers ever reach the average salary of 2600€ is probably depending of the length of their career. There is no additional salary for national team members the army is paying. There is something called Sporthilfe, which would be 300€ per month and that's the money that is supposed to be spend in your sport, if you are a sports soldier.
German Fed is not paying for coaches in pairs and dance which is weird, because they say that is their priority, but they pay for single skaters coach Michael Huth (Schott, Isaev, Jagoda). I don't know very many high level athletes in Germany that have to pay for their coaches, except in sports like Tennis, where you can earn money on every tournament you go to. So German fed definitely doesn't go with the system.

Anyway I'm glad Tim has the opportunity to switch to the Spanish Fed, who obviously cares better for their athletes. And I wish him good luck.

icewhite

Record Breaker
Just to clarify the numbers. I don't know where you get the information from, but it's not right. A monthly soldier salary (sports soldiers too) starts at 1500€. That goes for about 1,5-2 years and then you can slowly start climbing up. If sport soldiers ever reach the average salary of 2600€ is probably depending of the length of their career. There is no additional salary for national team members the army is paying. There is something called Sporthilfe, which would be 300€ per month and that's the money that is supposed to be spend in your sport, if you are a sports soldier.
German Fed is not paying for coaches in pairs and dance which is weird, because they say that is their priority, but they pay for single skaters coach Michael Huth (Schott, Isaev, Jagoda). I don't know very many high level athletes in Germany that have to pay for their coaches, except in sports like Tennis, where you can earn money on every tournament you go to. So German fed definitely doesn't go with the system.

Anyway I'm glad Tim has the opportunity to switch to the Spanish Fed, who obviously cares better for their athletes. And I wish him good luck.

I don't know what exactly the skaters get, but I know other sports soldier's income and that is a lot higher. So I googled it and found about 2500 Euro as an average of recent Olympic athletes in military or police. An interview named 2600 as an average of sports soldiers. The Bundeswehr itself says the soldiers income can go up to 3474 (likely not many active athletes are able to reach that).

As far as I'm aware whether you have to pay for your coach as a skater depends on which coach you have. As is the case with Bergamo etc. If you train in German facilities, with one of their "own" Olympic coaches, they pay, but if you choose to go to Bergamo with someone else, they don't. That's the situation as far as I know.

Jumping_Bean

Record Breaker

Sabine

On the Ice
As far as I'm aware whether you have to pay for your coach as a skater depends on which coach you have. As is the case with Bergamo etc. If you train in German facilities, with one of their "own" Olympic coaches, they pay, but if you choose to go to Bergamo with someone else, they don't. That's the situation as far as I know.
As I said, there is exactly ONE coach Michael Huth who trains high level athletes on a regular basis that gets paid by German Fed. There are NO other Olympic coaches for the rest, even if you train in Germany. Athletes have to pay their coaches.

BlissfulSynergy

Record Breaker
Country
Olympics
Check out Tim Dieck's channel on YouTube. He filmed some videos of his training at the X-thletik gym in Bochum, Germany. He filmed another video about departing from his homeland (he hails from Dortmund). He also discussed his emotions about a going away party his family and friends gave him. Once he arrived in Montreal, he produced more videos showing the neighborhood he's currently staying in with a friend and her partner. He said that he'll soon get his own place.

Tim also posted a fun video showing time he spent at Cirque du Soleil in Montreal, training backflips and tumbling passes with a pro, named Momo aka Skywalker. Tim's videos are a lot of fun. He seems carefree and focused at the same time. It's obvious that he's very disciplined. He even said in the Bochum gym training video, "Just like you party, you must also train." I detected that he talks fast and he moves fast, but with a sense of calm, ease, wit, and good humor. He seems fluent in English as well as his native German. He also speaks French. Here's a couple of his TikTok videos:

Last edited:

labgoat

Done updating WJC rewatches!
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Check out Tim Dieck's channel on YouTube. He filmed some videos of his training at the X-thletik gym in Bochum, Germany. He filmed another video about departing from his homeland (he hails from Dortmund). He also discussed his emotions about a going away party his family and friends gave him. Once he arrived in Montreal, he produced more videos showing the neighborhood he's currently staying in with a friend and her partner. He said that he'll soon get his own place.

Tim also posted a fun video showing time he spent at Cirque du Soleil in Montreal, training backflips and tumbling passes with a pro, named Momo aka Skywalker. Tim's videos are a lot of fun. He seems carefree and focused at the same time. It's obvious that he's very disciplined. He even said in the Bochum gym training video, "Just like you party, you must also train." I detected that he talks fast and he moves fast, but with a sense of calm, ease, wit, and good humor. He seems fluent in English as well as his native German. He also speaks French. Here's a couple of his TikTok videos:

I had the same impression -calm, dedicated, fearless, determined and practical with a huge dose of fun.
He also has great awareness in the air on those flips.

lilimum

On the Ice
Country
Germany