Top Prospects of Russian ladies | Page 12 | Golden Skate

Top Prospects of Russian ladies

Shayuki

Record Breaker
She even did a combo! :laugh:
From 0:53 to 0:59 is such an insane display of skating skills. How often do you see that done so fast at the junior 3 level, while not even losing speed? Without even taking into account she's ... 2 years under the age of when she'd be expected to start skating there. All the steps might not be perfectly clean but if her skating skill PCS mark isn't close to 4.00 I'll be angry.

Now, I'm not an expert so I can't get into superb detail, but she at least does perform a LFI choctaw and RFI choctaw here in this sequence, and both are considered some of the most difficult steps. LFI choctaw is common in ice dance for instance. But I'm not good enough to specify which specific variation of that she does - But I know it's a difficult step and very rare to see at these lower junior tiers. Both are used as parts of difficult entries for jumps at the senior level and as a part of step sequences for example and that she doesn't really lose any momentum - Very impressive.

Obviously, very childish still but, say, in 2 years... I'm expecting to see something incredible.

puremagic

-
Record Breaker
In an hour and a half looking forward to see another girls from Crystal - Polina Shcheglova (2010) and Alina Gerasimova (2009). Both are in the first group.

Shayuki

Record Breaker
Ksenia Melkumova is really an incredible talent. Pure pleasure to watch her skating.
On her, I looked into her school and their students. Of notables, there of course are Viktoria Vasilieva and Kamila Valieva. But something I noticed about this coach specifically is that all his skaters seem to get really high PCS and especially skating skill marks and have absolutely tiny jumps. Khabibulina is a pretty extreme example of tiny jumps but this was something recurring for many skaters at almost all the junior levels when I went through the different skaters' protocols - tons of UR/downgrade calls but very high PCS marks.

I wonder if it's an intentional choice and that they really have far less focus on jumps than most might? It might also mean that Melkumova has potential for stronger jumps if she in the future were to get a coach that would help her focus on that. Though, it's not like Viktoria Vasilieva is a terrible jumper.

Melkumova 35.26 points and finishes 4th in the SP while being the only 2009 participating. Actually, she's only 0.55 points off the "legitimate" first place finisher because the person who actually came first is a 2005 birthdate...

Now please just please have a slightly less disastrous FS this time.

Shayuki

Record Breaker
Never mind. She just skated in BOTH competitions in one day. That's cool.

Some of these girls' competition schedules are insane. I noticed some of them skated in 3 competitions(including the upcoming 21-24 one) within a week at the junior sport 2 level, which is going to mean 6 programs in 7 days. But unfortunately sportvokrug is dead for me right now so I can't check who they were, exactly.

tars

Record Breaker
I wonder if it's an intentional choice and that they really have far less focus on jumps than most might? It might also mean that Melkumova has potential for stronger jumps if she in the future were to get a coach that would help her focus on that. Though, it's not like Viktoria Vasilieva is a terrible jumper.
That's funny, because not knowing the school or anything, considering your awe, I thought: 'in the best case, this girl might become next Vasilieva'.

Shayuki

Record Breaker
That's funny, because not knowing the school or anything, considering your awe, I thought: 'in the best case, this girl might become next Vasilieva'.
"This girl might end up having as good jumps as Vasilieva" would be more accurate :eek:hwell:

In most other aspects I expect her to be far better and in some like interpretation she already is. Keep in mind this girl won't be junior eligible until the 2022-2023 season.

Something else I found out before sportvokrug died is that she a year ago, in late 2016, she was a lower mid tier junior 2 skater whose PCS was in line with that standing and really didn't stand out at all. So what on earth happened during this past year?

tars

Record Breaker

Shayuki

Record Breaker
Is it correct that Zinina would rank 4th among the 2007s? At least that's my feeling at this point in time. Quite a significant drop after the top 3 of course but she has time.