Trouble with right outside edges | Golden Skate

Trouble with right outside edges

Hi! I didn't think I'd post again so soon after my last thread, but I've had this issue for a while and I'm wondering if y'all might have any advice or some idea what's going on.

Like the title says, I have trouble getting onto my right outside edge, forward and ESPECIALLY backward (ironic considering my username--I love them on my left foot and when it does work on my right!). I can make it happen, but I have trouble aligning my body over my foot and it's never as deep or as smooth as on my left foot. Left-over-right crossovers and right outside three turns are orders of magnitude harder than the same skills on the opposite side. And I'd say there's an overall feeling of instability in my right foot. I'm right handed and jump/spin counterclockwise, so it's a little strange to that things are so hard on my right foot?

The skate tech at my rink (also a figure skater and coach) said that the issue is caused by my right foot pronating and was going to order some insoles, but there are supply issues, so I just put some of those little arch support inserts in my skates and they helped a little bit, but the issue is still very much there. It would make sense if pronation was the issue, but I'm not convinced that's it? My ankles are aligned correctly when I stand and walk barefoot, and I have medium to high arches that don't collapse or anything, and everything I read about pronation issues says they typically happen with flat feet.

One thing that might be contributing is that I just barely have scoliosis--10 degrees, curving to the left--and my left hip bone sits an inch higher than my right. This could explain the trouble with crossovers, since my left leg literally has to stretch farther to cross all the way over my right, but could it also have to do with aligning my body over my left foot being easier than over my right?

I've been doing foot and ankle strength/stability exercises and recently joined the (8-week) waitlist for a physical therapy office that's in-network with my insurance, which will hopefully help me. But is there anything else I'm missing? Any tweaks with my blade mounting that might help (I'm on a temp mount right now so this is a good time to try that)? Has anyone experienced/seen someone experience something similar?

Last edited:

sk8dreamzzzz

Rinkside
Hi OEE,

I hope I can help a little. While I was learning outside edges, I also had a weak side. I tried to feel what I was doing differently on the side that worked and came to the realisation that it I was keeping my balance on the good leg stacked with the foot, hip and shoulder lined up. On my weak side, my balance was more toward the middle of my body and that was hurting my edges. If your balance is toward the center of your body while on one leg, it is much easier to pronate.

It's worthwhile to make a video of yourself on each of your edges and see if you can spot the difference.

WednesdayMarch

Nicer When Fed
Medalist
Country
United-Kingdom
Everybody finds one direction harder than the other. It's not usually a weak leg/side (unless there are physical issues that cause that) but more a case of direction of turn/rotation. Left or right handed doesn't necessarily correspond, either. (Just to make things even more baffling for beginners!) I spin/jump counter-clockwise and always prefer movements that go that way. This makes it vitally important that you practice the "harder" direction more.

Try practicing outside edges in full circles on each foot. Make sure you keep your head and body centred over the middle of the blade, with your free side back - shoulder, leg, knee and foot turned out - until the last quarter of the circle. This exercise should help you strengthen your outside edges, which makes everything easier. (I wish the ISU would bring back compulsory figures!)

Ic3Rabbit

Former Elite, now Pro. ⛸️
Record Breaker
Country
Olympics
Hi! I didn't think I'd post again so soon after my last thread, but I've had this issue for a while and I'm wondering if y'all might have any advice or some idea what's going on.

Like the title says, I have trouble getting onto my right outside edge, forward and ESPECIALLY backward (ironic considering my username--I love them on my left foot and when it does work on my right!). I can make it happen, but I have trouble aligning my body over my foot and it's never as deep or as smooth as on my left foot. Left-over-right crossovers and right outside three turns are orders of magnitude harder than the same skills on the opposite side. And I'd say there's an overall feeling of instability in my right foot. I'm right handed and jump/spin counterclockwise, so it's a little strange to that things are so hard on my right foot?

The skate tech at my rink (also a figure skater and coach) said that the issue is caused by my right foot pronating and was going to order some insoles, but there are supply issues, so I just put some of those little arch support inserts in my skates and they helped a little bit, but the issue is still very much there. It would make sense if pronation was the issue, but I'm not convinced that's it? My ankles are aligned correctly when I stand and walk barefoot, and I have medium to high arches that don't collapse or anything, and everything I read about pronation issues says they typically happen with flat feet.

One thing that might be contributing is that I just barely have scoliosis--10 degrees, curving to the left--and my left hip bone sits an inch higher than my right. This could explain the trouble with crossovers, since my left leg literally has to stretch farther to cross all the way over my right, but could it also have to do with aligning my body over my left foot being easier than over my right?

I've been doing foot and ankle strength/stability exercises and recently joined the (8-week) waitlist for a physical therapy office that's in-network with my insurance, which will hopefully help me. But is there anything else I'm missing? Any tweaks with my blade mounting that might help (I'm on a temp mount right now so this is a good time to try that)? Has anyone experienced/seen someone experience something similar?
I want to agree with what has been said in this thread by others so far. Everyone has a weaker side when they start to skate, and have to work on it more. Once you see your PT and they assess you, they might (or you may ask) if they suggest due to your scoliosis to get a "lift" mechanism for your lower hip's skate in order to make them even when skating (a skilled orthotics individual should be able to make something for you), just a suggestion.

The other thing I need to point out refers to the part of your quote that I bolded. I supinate (and one can see it prominently when I have sneakers on), and I have high to very high arches. So no pronation/supination does not occur with flat feet only.

emilinkaa

On the Ice
Country
Germany
Agree with everything everyone said about weak sides. I have an old injury (to my right IT band and hip flexors) that causes issues in my hips, often shifting my right hip out of alignment, and higher than my left. PT, yoga, and chiropractic help. I know I have to be very conscious of my hip positioning when I do edge work.

I also recently got some of the Jackson Supreme insoles, and even though it didn’t feel like much, I do feel like a couple of edge struggles got a lot better. You’re on the right track!

It's been a while, but I've taken everything y'all have said into account and y'all are definitely right! I'm just taking my time and practicing the harder things until they get less hard. I did manage to go and sprain my right ankle and get posterior tibial tendinitis thanks to a strenuous backpacking trip, which is just helping me work even harder to get the strength in my right foot up again 🙃 I still haven't gotten in with the PT, but when I went to the doctor for the injury I got some exercises/guidance. Thanks again for taking the time to give advice about my silly issues!

WednesdayMarch

Nicer When Fed
Medalist
Country
United-Kingdom
They are not "silly issues" at all. Everybody goes through this when they learn to skate. Not everybody asks for help or advice. We're always happy to help. :)