TT choreographed both MK's LP and a new SP | Page 6 | Golden Skate

TT choreographed both MK's LP and a new SP

Doggygirl

Record Breaker
It sure sounds like Michelle plans to come out fighting!! This is great news. I hope she gets her choreography set early, and sticks with it through the season.

Selfishly, I hope ALL of the top ladies are working just as hard. (can you say STARVING for practice reports?? :)) This really could shape up to be an exciting season for the ages!

DG

nymkfan51

Medalist
MM, I found that I had a 2:50 portion of Cappricio Italien on one of my Tchaikovsky tapes. I like what I hear just from that small portion of music. Has this been used by many skaters before? Just wondering if we were going to hear the "overused music" complaint with this one. ;)

Skate Sandee

On the Ice
Joesitz said:
None of her fans are going to stop loving her. That was obvious when she lost the gold in 78, and they wont stop loving her after the 2006 Olys regardless of the outcome.
Joe

Wow! She really has been skating a long time! (Couldn't resist!) :biggrin:

Lucy25

Final Flight
MM - those opening bars are very commanding; they would be excellent to use for a program.

nymkfan51 said:
MM, I found that I had a 2:50 portion of Cappricio Italien on one of my Tchaikovsky tapes. I like what I hear just from that small portion of music. Has this been used by many skaters before? Just wondering if we were going to hear the "overused music" complaint with this one. ;)
The only mention of it on the Skate Music List is Michelle Menzies and Jean-Michel Bombardier (Canadian pairs skaters) in 1995. So even though it is fairly well known, I think it is far from overused in skating.

I wonder if the Olympics being in Italy influenced the choice? (Naw, she would have gone with Italian opera in that case.)

Lucy, althought the opening segment is commanding, the overall effect of the work is more high spirited. Some of the sections are even, I would say, light-hearted (but with that undercurrent of dark brooding that makes a lot of Tchaikovsky's music more than it appears at first hearing.) It all depends on the cut.

MM :)

Vash01

Medalist
Capricio Italien (sp?) has been used by many skaters (Caryn Kadavy among them) but not to the extent it can be considered 'overused'. It is a familiar piece of music and very lovely. I think it really suits Michelle.

R.D.

Record Breaker
I don't know whether or not to believe the practice reports. This is the time of year when people come out of the woodwork and claim to be "in the know". I'm not going to discredit the reports, because I have no reason (proof) to not believe them. Just like I have no reason to believe them.

That said, IF said reports are true, sounds like she has a plan. If she can get back in the game it would make this season that much more exciting. Hopefully Cohen can get her game together as well, and Irina, and the other contenders.

nymkfan51

Medalist
Red Dog, this poster is a coach in CA. He has given some details in the past which have turned out to be true, but obviously we can't know for sure. He is not a new member though, that just popped up all of a sudden with a practice report.

nymkfan51 said:
Here is a link to a report from someone who saw a run-through of MK's LP. Take it for what it is.

http://p216.ezboard.com/fmichellekw...geRange?topicID=9577.topic&start=341&stop=360
Yes,yes,yes. I am so pleased with the outline of that program, and Rach and Paganini will be second nature to her lyrical style.

Regarding Italian Caprice, you might want to check out the movie by Ken Russel called "The Music Lovers" with Richard Chamberlain and Glenda Jackson. It's over the top and Glenda makes makes more than the most of it. Not for kids.

It has been said that Tschaikowsky's wife was going mad on one of the beaches in Italy and that was his inspiration for this piece of music.

The music is actually an old war horse. Used many times before you were all born. It's not an easy piece to skate to and it will challenge Michelle's inner bravura style which she demonstrated so well with Aranjez.

I really think TT wants her to win. The two pieces of music are a study in contrast. Now I can say bring it on MK.

Joe

Last edited:

nymkfan51

Medalist
We're not sure about the SP music Joe. The poster has not seen it, but was just told by another coach there that he "thought" maybe that was what her music was. It sounds like a great choice though!

gezando

Final Flight
C. Italien is a bit over exposed, PIT's souvenir de Florence would be a piece that is less overused and IMO more beautiful

PIT married Antoninia Milyukovia in 1878 and stayed with her for 6 wks. He dispised his wife, I seriously doubt she was his inspiration for anything he wrote. According to his letter to his patroness madam Von Meck, he derived his motivation for writing C. Italien from Glinka's Memory of a Night in Madrid. He wrote C, Italien in 1880 and dedicated that to the Jewish Russian cellist Karl Davidov (not to be confused with Tchaikovsky's gay lover, his nephew, the son of his sister Bob Davidov):

Last edited:
I read somewhere that Tchaikovsky married this lady when he was working on Eugene Onegin -- a tragic tale of a young man who forever missed his chance for happiness by not striking while the iron was hot. Peter I. didn't want this to be his fate, too (life mimics art), so he rushed into marriage.

I don't know if this is true or not, but it is a good story about tortured genius.

MM

gezando said:
PIT married Antoninia Milyukovia in 1878 and stayed with her for 6 wks. He dispised his wife, I seriously doubt she was his inspiration for anything he wrote. According to his letter to his patroness madam Von Meck, he derived his motivation for writing C. Italien from Glinka's Memory of a Night in Madrid. He wrote C, Italien in 1880 and dedicated that to the Jewish Russian cellist Karl Davidov (not to be confused with Tchaikovsky's gay lover, his nephew, the son of his sister Bob Davidov):
What was your source for Caprice Italien? Mine was verbal from a Russian ballet teacher I knew some years ago who may have exaggerated. Apparently Milykovia was very much in marital wants from Peter but he did not comply. The music is arguably a description of his vacation in Italy on the beach, and the hysteria shown by Antoninia. I don't know anything about a dedication.

Check out Russell's film. It's very much surreal, in fact all his films are surreal. My favorite is The Devils, and the one on Valentino is a hoot.

Back to topic. This may be the Return of the Mighty Kwan.

Joe
her hysteria.

Ptichka

Forum translator
Record Breaker
1. Tchaikovsky's marriage was most likely a front to cover his homosexuality. It's a real tragedy that a woman's life was so destroyed.

2. I don't think Onegin is a story of opportunity lost. It's more of a story about wanting what you can't have.

Ptichka said:
1. Tchaikovsky's marriage was most likely a front to cover his homosexuality. It's a real tragedy that a woman's life was so destroyed.

2. I don't think Onegin is a story of opportunity lost. It's more of a story about wanting what you can't have.

1. It's also a tragedy that Tchaikowsky could not be himself. I wonder what kind of music he would have written if he was accepted stigma and all.

2. Yes, Ptichka, that's Onegin.

3. By the way I'm looking forward to seeing Mazepa at the Met very soon. The Kirov production has been brought to NY.

Joe

kyla2

Final Flight
More....

Joe Sitz and Fozzie Bear, i agree with absolutely everything you have said here about Michelle on this thread, with the exception of one thing. I do truly believe when she shows up at the Olympics she will have a competitive program. Will she actually do a trple-triple or a triple-triple-double? I don't know, but I know she can do it in practices. If she was still with Frank, she would be doing them now, I guarantee it. He was a very tough coach who made her reach technically; one of the reasons I believe he no longer coaches her. He pushed her much more than he has pushed subsequent skaters he has coached. Nymkfan51, do you really believe Christopher Dean sent Michelle out with a watered down program i.e. few moves in the field? As Joe said, he was known for them and it was and is his halmark choreographically. Michelle has been watering down her programs since Lori Nichol's days (and Lori was quoted as saying that but not in those exact words). I love Michelle and want her to win more than you know, but I am a realist too, just like Joe. But I do agree with you about this: she is going to come out and give Irina a run for her money this year. The bad news is, she isn't going to be able to spin like Irina or do a Bielman spiral (which I don't love but the judges do). So in short, it's still Irina's to lose with her CoP friendly technical edge, but if Michelle is in fighting form, it may unnerve Irina enough to give Michelle the edge. When Irina feels she has real competition, it unnerves her and her skating reflects it (sorry Irina).

Fozzie Bear

On the Ice
kyla2 said:
she is going to come out and give Irina a run for her money this year
I think so too. :yes:
Seems to me like she has had a plan all along. The last time she's landed a 3/3 in competition was 2002 Worlds QR. Since then she hasn't tried them in competition, but during that time we've often heard that she's been landed them in practice. Perhaps she has been keeping the combos quiet all of this time to surprise everyone come 2006.

These reports and the music speculations have me going :biggrin:

Fozzie Bear

On the Ice
This is from i12gos8 at the MKF:
no RA, just Danny coaching her...and I do not mean sitting at the stands quietly, he was pretty involved.

If this is true, then I guess Joe may have been right. Sort of. ;)

hockeyfan228

Record Breaker
Arutunian is supposed to join her at the family rink in the next month or so, when his contract with Lake Arrowhead is fulfilled.