TV Alert - Hot Ice, Cool sounds 12/25/08 | Golden Skate

TV Alert - Hot Ice, Cool sounds 12/25/08

iluvtodd

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Hi, there. Just a reminder. "Hot Ice, Cool Sounds" will be aired on NBC this afternoon from 3 to 5 PM EST. The cast includes lots of the current SOI cast members. Musical guests are Peter Cetera and the Cleveland Pops Orchestra. From a skating point of view, I hope we get some balance in the way the show is presented on TV.

To give you an idea of who's in the show, check out these pics:

http://www.scratchspin.com/2008/hotice08/hotice08.shtml

Happy Holidays, everyone! :biggrin:

Last edited:

Dee4707

Ice Is Slippery - Alexie Yagudin
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Thanks Gail for the reminder. I'll set the VCR.

Tinymavy15

Sinnerman for the win
Record Breaker
yes, thanks for reminding me. I am looking forward to seeing Sasha.
Did anybody catch her on the Today show this morning? Did she perform?

terriskates

Rinkside
I only picked up the show at 4pm and something befuddles me.
How many versions of "If You Leave Me Now" can the skaters perform to?
I love Peter Certera, but enough is enough.

pista04

On the Ice
I dont. If they are trying to get the younger audience into figure skating...why do shows like this always pick guys that young people dont know/aren't interested in? Im 15, and would love to see them get a known person, and although Beyonce or Rihanna may be a huge stretch, even someone not so famous, like Matt Nathanson (who sings beautiful love songs) or Greg Laswell would be amazing and could even grab a new audience.

KwanFan1212

Joey Votto Fangirl
Final Flight
I dont. If they are trying to get the younger audience into figure skating...why do shows like this always pick guys that young people dont know/aren't interested in? Im 15, and would love to see them get a known person, and although Beyonce or Rihanna may be a huge stretch, even someone not so famous, like Matt Nathanson (who sings beautiful love songs) or Greg Laswell would be amazing and could even grab a new audience.

Kristi Yamaguchi's show had the Jonas Brothers on it so I don't know how much more current they can be after that one.

I haven't seen this special yet (I was at my uncle's for Christmas but I taped it) but I'm looking forward to the skating and to seeing Peter Cetera who is one of my favorite artists. :agree:

merrywidow

Record Breaker
I only saw parts of it as I was fixing dinner for family. Loved seeing Todd, Sasha & Brian as well as Jamie & David.

Tinymavy15

Sinnerman for the win
Record Breaker
The show was OK, some nice moments.
My favorite part was the finale by Todd Eldridge. His technique is just classic and I never get tired of him.
I also liked the Brian B. and Sasha duet. Made me think of how she would look as a pair skater. Not sure that would work. Everybody would always be looking at her.

gio

Medalist

Family Tribute had some young singers such as Mario, another singer and a young rock group. Plus Sasha skated to Rihanna Please Don't Stop the Music.

So they are really trying to get the younger audience into FS. But you can't ask that for every show. I think it's also good if some shows remain classic shows. :)

I think adding variety would just do good for FS.

iluvtodd

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
We haven't had a chance to see the show yet (we were away over the winter break), but we're looking forward to seeing it. We happen to like Peter Cetera (as a solo performer and from the group Chicago) and am a fan of Pops orchestras (especially the Boston and Philly Pops), so that's a plus for us from a musical point of view. I am disheartened to hear that the skaters weren't shown as prominently as they should be during these Disson shows. All I'm asking is for balance. Steve Disson and NBC should read the letters to the editor in the latest issue of IFS magazine. The letters echo many of our concerns about how these shows have been presented.

ETA: Well we watched the show this afternoon, and really enjoyed it from a skating point of view and musically. My only reservation is still the "balance" issue - Steve Disson & NBC - give the skaters equal time!!!!

Loved the spinning football during Shae Lynn, Todd, & Mike's football program. :rofl:

Last edited:

heyang

Record Breaker
We haven't had a chance to see the show yet (we were away over the winter break), but we're looking forward to seeing it. We happen to like Peter Cetera (as a solo performer and from the group Chicago) and am a fan of Pops orchestras (especially the Boston and Philly Pops), so that's a plus for us from a musical point of view. I am disheartened to hear that the skaters weren't shown as prominently as they should be during these Disson shows. All I'm asking is for balance. Steve Disson and NBC should read the letters to the editor in the latest issue of IFS magazine. The letters echo many of our concerns about how these shows have been presented.

ETA: Well we watched the show this afternoon, and really enjoyed it from a skating point of view and musically. My only reservation is still the "balance" issue - Steve Disson & NBC - give the skaters equal time!!!!

Loved the spinning football during Shae Lynn, Todd, & Mike's football program. :rofl:

I wrote Disson a letter about how the show is marketed on TV as a skating show, not a music show, and that requires showing skating. If there are contractual requirements, then use PIP or split screen technology. I can't sit through another broadcast where I see only 45% skating (Note - didn't include that last sentence in my letter.) No response.

Seriously, for television purposes, it's advertised as skating - ie. Kristi's show highlight's her name. Until the broadcast actually begins, I don''t hear peep about which musical acts are appearing. I'm sure the Jonas Brothers, etc, listed the event on their websites for both the actual appearance and the broadcast, but I don't recall seeing any early ad's on TV saying 'Jonas Brothers on Skating show'. So, anyway, they gotta deliver skating if it's being sold as a skating show.

iluvtodd

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
I wrote Disson a letter about how the show is marketed on TV as a skating show, not a music show, and that requires showing skating. If there are contractual requirements, then use PIP or split screen technology. I can't sit through another broadcast where I see only 45% skating (Note - didn't include that last sentence in my letter.) No response.

Seriously, for television purposes, it's advertised as skating - ie. Kristi's show highlight's her name. Until the broadcast actually begins, I don''t hear peep about which musical acts are appearing. I'm sure the Jonas Brothers, etc, listed the event on their websites for both the actual appearance and the broadcast, but I don't recall seeing any early ad's on TV saying 'Jonas Brothers on Skating show'. So, anyway, they gotta deliver skating if it's being sold as a skating show.

Good points, heyang. I hope you get a reasonable response from him, and more importantly, may some good come of this - restoring balance to the TV presentation of these shows.