Underrated Choreographers | Page 3 | Golden Skate

Underrated Choreographers

silverfoxes

Record Breaker
Don't tell me you have never read Blade of Passion's explanation and criticism about most skaters' choreography?:think:

I have (it's inescapable), but I take it with a massive grain of salt. If BoP is a choreographer, let's see what kind of brilliance he/she has come up with.

LiamForeman

William/Uilyam
Medalist
Rudy Galindo -- haven't read all the posts so not sure if he's mentioned upthread.

I thought the new LP he did for Polina is lovely and fits her personality very well. Her performance of it at CoC was too reserved/careful but I liked the choreography very much. Since he's also a former pairs skater, it would be nice to see him do some stuff for pairs as well.

I second this. Polina's program up to now is the only program that I had to go back and watch again. For me it's the program of the season.

Meoima

Match Penalty
I have (it's inescapable), but I take it with a massive grain of salt. If BoP is a choreographer, let's see what kind of brilliance he/she has come up with.
I hope one day we will see her works. :) Or maybe we have already! :popcorn:

iceberg

On the Ice
Not sure if he;s underrated but i think Nikolai Morozov is just as good as Lori or wilson.

Also my most favorite short program of all time which is Mao's Fantasia for Violin and Orchestra was choreographed by the adorable Tatiana Tarasova so I guess she doesn't fit this category. :)

QuadThrow

Medalist
Today, there are only a few choreographers creating programs for the top single-skaters:

Lori Nicol
Tatjana Tarassowa
Eric Wilson
Nikolai Morosov
Shea-Lynn Bourne
Pasqual Camerlengo

somebody to add?

There is one skater who skated programs of all these Choreographers: Daisuke Takahashi:agree:

At the Sochi Olympics women´s Free program there was a big battle beetwen the choreographers:

Yu Na Kim- David Wilson
Mao Asada - Tatjana Tarassowa
Carolina Koster- Lori Nicol

All of them did a great job:love:
but they did not receive the right honour!:scratch:

IcyEdges

Match Penalty
Who choreographed this Olympic moment? I tried to look it up and gave up. I figure someone here likely knows and could maybe tell me.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jJ9EaMEk74g

Thx to Unite for reminding me of this gem the other day. Many visual images in it stick out in my mind.

Nikolai Morozov creation right there.

As far as my answer to this thread. I have a few names I'd like to throw out there. Christopher Dean, Robin Cousins, and (as someone else mentioned earlier) Kurt Browning who was responsible for choreography of the Stars on Ice show a few years ago and will be for this coming season of the CSOI tour. As far as competitive choreography of Kurt's is concerned, the footwork is complicated. You have to be a very special type of skater to successfully pull off Kurt's footwork. As far as a full program done by Browning see: Abbott's 2007-08 SP (and later 08-09 exhibition program) to "Treat" by Santana.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6JNcTJu9db0

As far as up and coming choreographers, Abbott is an outstanding choreographer (He's choreographed many of his programs such as "Exogenesis" "Bring Him Home", "Latch" and this seasons SP to "Lay Me Down").

I also like Robert Mauti's work.

mskater93

Record Breaker
Jonathan (sp?) Cassar! I used to get up and leave when Courtney Hicks would skate, but I really enjoy her SP at least this season. He has a good feel for what he's working with in terms of her skill/look on the ice and is working with it versus against it. :clap:

Mrs. P

Uno, Dos, twizzle!
Record Breaker
Jonathan (sp?) Cassar! I used to get up and leave when Courtney Hicks would skate, but I really enjoy her SP at least this season. He has a good feel for what he's working with in terms of her skill/look on the ice and is working with it versus against it. :clap:

Jonathan Cassar never got up the ranks due to his lack of a 3A -- but he can sure skate a beautiful program -- not to mention those crazy amazing spread eagles. So it doesn't surprise me that he would be a great choreographer.

Puchi

On the Ice
Everytime this thread pops up in the New Posts list, I keep reading the title as "Underrotated Choreographers"

Last edited:

Tonichelle

Idita-Rock-n-Roll
Record Breaker
She wasn't underrated and was a top choreographer in the golden era of skating in N. America... and I think she chose to drop out of choreography... but Sandra Bezic used to make masterpieces for both competitive and exhibition skating.

TontoK

Hot Tonto
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Didn't Sandra Bezic choreograph for Brian Boitano... or have I gotten confused? Again.

Tonichelle

Idita-Rock-n-Roll
Record Breaker
Didn't Sandra Bezic choreograph for Brian Boitano... or have I gotten confused? Again.

Like I said - she was a top choreographer during the golden era of figure skating - but after she left SOI she hasn't done much of anything choreography wise.

She choreographed for Boitano, Yamaguchi, Browning, Lipinski, Lu Chen... and so many others.

NAOTMAA

Medalist
Peter Tchernyshev has done a fantastic job on multiple programs for Kavaguti/Smirnov! Their programs this year are gorgeous :love:

He's also responsible for Adelina's Olympic programs.

I hope we see more from him!

Last edited:

thoakun

Final Flight
Does Tatiana Druchinina still work with Tchernyshev? She's a very well-respected figure among the rhythmic gymnastics fans and I don't know if she'll become a full-fledged choreographer but she helped polishing K/S's Claire de lune and worked with Sasha for her ribbon exhibition and those two programs are my favorites.

Last edited: