up and comers next season | Page 2 | Golden Skate

up and comers next season

silverlake22

Record Breaker
Lol, I was tempted to go see these new phenoms on IN, but I stopped myself because I honestly don't want to spoil the moment of seeing them skate for the very first time, as my first impression is always my most honest.

So instead I went to watch Agnes Zawadzki again from SC, specifically her SP. And nothing's changed, I'm still not impressed. The music, costume, and choreography are just plain butt ugly (presenting her like a puta). :p As a result I had to fast forward to get to the jumps. Reality is like a slap in the face. I was expecting to see a power skater with jumps like Tonya Harding. Lol, I was even envisioning perhaps a 3Axel in the future? But I won't write her off yet, there's still time for her Team to package her just right. If she's supposed to be a power skater then show her off as such, complete with attitude, jumps, costume, choreography. The equivalent for a gymnast would be Elena Produnova:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5T45uE45nvY
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ofkVLGC3FrM

If you weren't impressed with her SP from Skate Canada, please don't watch her FS, that was rather painful to watch :eek: and I'm generally a fan of Agnes's skating. Last year she seemed so consistent with her jumps but this season she just keeps falling all over the place. Hope she doesn't turn out like Alexe Gilles, but I'm not holding my breath. Agnes could win nationals or finish down in like 12th depending on which version shows up.

Nadine

Record Breaker
Ah well just take everything I say with a grain of salt, as I've been disappointed with USFSA skating for a while now, and as a result try to get my fix from other countries, specifically the "old" Mao Asada from Japan. ;) Though I have to say Rachael Flatt hasn't disappointed me, the judging has though, both nationally & internationally, the latter by & far takes the cake.

The last time I really had great hope for the ladies was at 2008 US Nationals (my favorite Nationals to date). The top 4 skated clean & impressive ~ all BRAND NEW to the scene ~ and what a show of technical prowess combined with presentation they put on (all did 3/3 combos.). I literally was in tears, and typed that it was even better than seeing Sarah Hughes's Olympic Gold Medal winning performance, that's how moved I was. And though Rachael was my favorite (& still is), I would've picked Ashley Wagner as the overall winner.

Fast forward almost 3 years later, and things have changed a lot. None of them no longer does a consistent 3/3 combo., though Ashley attempted a few this season, Mirai injured her back or foot? and was out for a complete season, Caroline grew & put on a few pounds & is completing working technique, and then there's Rachael. Ah, Rachael, I haven't given up on you yet. You're the only one out of the bunch to have maintained consistency throughout the past 3 years, earning medals along the way, even a win at 2010 US Nationals. And this GP season has been your best to date, placing a controversial second (some, including me, feel you should've gotten 1st) at both of your GP events. Then the fluke injury & subsequent placing last at the GP Final, which has most counting you out at US Nationals, but not me, where there's a will there's a way.

Still, I've been waiting for a skater to really blow me away with her technical prowess. Lol, I even followed Melissa Bulanhagui for a while there last season because of the triple axel she attempted the year before, but was disappointed when she showed up at 2010 US Nationals out of shape & no attempt at the 3axel. Then this season there was all this talk about Agnes Zawadzki, so I waited anxiously to see her for the very first time at SC. Well that didn't turn out too good either (read my prior post for my first impression). So I don't know, I don't expect anything anymore, just that little glimmer of hope (crossing fingers). :)

oleada

Record Breaker
I'm with Sylvia. I like watching the juniors. Some great skating there. Some of them are tomorrow's next stars, but even the ones who don't make it big bring something great to the table. It's exciting to see the skaters develop and progress. For example, I'd seen Dorbush skate before and while he had nice jumps he didn't really impressive. Then I saw him skate at the JGPF and was totally blown away. And I remember watching Sotnikova and Tuktamysheva place 1-2 at Russian Nationals a few years back, so it was very nice to see them fulfill the promise they showed back then.

For next year, from russia
Julia Lipnitskaya - SP, LP. Her flexibility is really something else. At 12 years old, she'll be the youngest at Russian nationals
Darya Medvedeva. Unfortunately out with an injury, but I like her energy. She skates in Mishin's group.
Arina Petrova. I don't know much about this young lady, but she won a Russia Cup event last week, has all the triples with no edge calls and skates in Mishin's group.
Polina Korobeynikova - SP, LP. She'll be old enough for seniors next year,but she's never competed internationally. But she's had some good results this year, and has the triples through the flip. Her elegance, grace and flow are gorgeous. She is coached by Volchkova.
Alexandra Deeva - old enough for juniors this year but no JGP assignments. I love the how all the movements she does have a purpose. She won the NRW Trophy in junior ladies.

For pairs, maybe
Fedorova/Miroshkin? They are 13/16 and age eligible next year. The height difference is huge right now, which is rather awkward, but at least it's unlikely she'll ever outgrow him. I love their side-by-side Biellmans -and his is even better than hers! They are coached by Nina Mozer.
Kazantseva/Souza-Cordeiro. They just started skating together recently. They both seem to have fun on the ice. They are 13/17. They skate in Pavlova's group.
Semenova/Petukhov. Kind of a rough skate for them, but they have a 2A and a consistent throw 3Lo & 3S. They skate in Kalinina's group in Perm.

I don't know as much about the Japanese juniors, but Satoko Miyahara is eligible next year and she has all the triples plus a 2A+3T and has been doing extremely well in Japanese competitions. Riona Kato beat Miyahara at Novice Nationals and is for sure another name to watch.

From the US, I LOVED Hannah Miller, who won the Midwest Novice Sectionals. Her jumps get good height and she has the It-factor in spades. I hope she wins the Novice title and sets herself up nicely for a JGP Assignment. Is Emmanuel Savary finally age eligible next year? I really like him too. :thumbsup: There's also Polina Edmunds, who has some issues with jump technique, but she qualified to the US Nationals as a junior in the deep Coasts field, and who IMO has a lovely short program this year. :)

Last edited:

Lucky Star

Final Flight
Thahks for the videos of Leah Keiser, Sylvia, never saw her before. Very promising young lady, too bad she didn't qualify, BTW, why? Is this because other girls were so good or did Leah bomb? She has decent jumps but should work on her SS though, she seems a bit slow.

oleada

Record Breaker
I am not Sylvia, Lucky Star, but the Pacific Coasts sectional which Leah was skating out of had the deepest field, and she made quite a few mistakes to finish 6th and did not qualify to Nationals (only top 4 do).

Lucky Star

Final Flight
Thanks for the info, oleada. That's bad, cause Leah really looks promising when American girls at the JGP this season... not that much.

Oh, about Mishin's girls. Medvedeva and Kachalina will compete at the Panin Memorial, both had injuries earlier this season

ayayukiituka

On the Ice
I've loved Leah's skating. She's a total package for 12-year-old and a talented skater. I'm sorry I won't see her at US national this season hope her strong come back.
By the way,her landing remind me of Mirai's with good flow out. Did she move to Mr.Carol,did she? I'm a little worried many skaters have coach-skater relationship with him. I know he's one of best coaches around the world,but do they have enough time to learn from him?

Did Angela Wang move on to National? I saw her live at SBC cup this season she's really promising,too. She tried both 2A-3T and 3Lz-3T in free and fell.However she succeeds like official practice,she'll get big scores. one to watch for sure.

As for Japanese juniors,a post says Kato Riona and Satoko Miyaha are shining right now. They try 2A-3T and 5 triples and get full credit many times. What I think of their strong point is consistancy. They hardly do bomb.Satoko tried 3T-3T at junior National for the first time and was admitted. Riona challenged but unfortunately got UR. At that competition,her combination jumps were all in latter half. As they're under 140cm,her jumps doesn't have height though fully roated. but as getting taller,they have higher. Riona and Satoko seems on a ice show,which will broadcast,so we'll see on YT around new year.

shine

Record Breaker
Thanks for the videos of Keiser. What an exciting skater. That's really too bad she didn't make it to Nationals this year. She has amazing presentation and charisma for a 12-year-old. And her lutz :eek:

Last edited:

oleada

Record Breaker
No unfortunately, Angela Wang did not skate well either and did not make it to Nationals. I'm also sad for Gracie Gold, who has big jumps and good basics, and just missed out qualifying as well.

ayayukiituka

On the Ice
If only Gracie popped less jumps:think: I thought she could go to National and became next Mirai or Agnez. She already has fans in Japan:biggrin:

They won't get a JGP assignment next season if they can't move on to Natinal?

Last edited:

dlgpffps

Final Flight
I'm having such a headache with all these Russians names. So far, I have only Adelina, Liza and Polina down, but there was one wunderbaby who blew me away... Can't remember who. Her jumps weren't impressive (junior jumps can often crackle, but never explode... my preference clearly the latter), but her expression, lines and musicality were extraordinary. I kept thinking she would be the most impressive out of the lot. I should've downloaded her skate to my iPod :(

Lucky Star

Final Flight
I'm having such a headache with all these Russians names. So far, I have only Adelina, Liza and Polina down, but there was one wunderbaby who blew me away... Can't remember who. Her jumps weren't impressive (junior jumps can often crackle, but never explode... my preference clearly the latter), but her expression, lines and musicality were extraordinary. I kept thinking she would be the most impressive out of the lot. I should've downloaded her skate to my iPod :(

Elena Radionova maybe?
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JAXPPmPSmQ4
Or Anna Ovcharova?
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6s-c5Jw6MuE

Last edited:

ayayukiituka

On the Ice
When I browse Russian babies on Youtube,I found Polina A.'s one after JGP this season. Her Jumps were off at JGP,but as season goes she gets used to them.
Her 3lz-3T was fully routed in both SP and FS. So It might happen though battle for 3rd position of Russian Jr.World team between Polina A.and Polina S.

silverlake22

Record Breaker

My guess is Anna Ovcharova. Was she tallish and thin with dark hair and a more grown up figure? I remember her skating really stood out to me last season, and when I found out she was only 13 it made it that much more impressive. She won the SP at Junior Worlds and maybe could have won the event if her FS wasn't such a mess. Here is another video of her from last season http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=A2_EytmJFwk&feature=related
Jump technique isn't great but everything else is just fab! :)

Or maybe Julia Lepitniskaya? http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gy3r8VSqo-U Her spirals are :eek:

Last edited:

silverlake22

Record Breaker
When I browse Russian babies on Youtube,I found Polina A.'s one after JGP this season. Her Jumps were off at JGP,but as season goes she gets used to them.
Her 3lz-3T was fully routed in both SP and FS. So It might happen though battle for 3rd position of Russian Jr.World team between Polina A.and Polina S.

Rosa could challenge too. She tends to be inconsistent but when she is on her jumps are huge and gorgeous and her spins are nice too! With Anna out this season I tend to think the battle for the 3rd spot will be between the Polinas and Rosa, and maybe Sofia too if she doesn't make the World or Euros team.

oleada

Record Breaker
I think Agafonova looks taller and more grown up in the video of this St. Petersburg competition. She also looked really expressive! The battle for the third Russian spot will be tough.

silverlake22

Record Breaker
I think Agafonova looks taller and more grown up in the video of this St. Petersburg competition. She also looked really expressive! The battle for the third Russian spot will be tough.

She typically peaks later in the season so I'd believe that. She was fantastic at junior nationals and junior worlds last season!

ayayukiituka

On the Ice
How do you discover videos of Russian young skaters at local competition? I can find ones at JGP,GP or National,but it's rather difficult for me to search ones like Cup of Russia competitions...

Here's top 3 performances from Japan Jr.national.
Risa Shoji(1st)http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cHgevu9VXck
Kako Tomotaki (2nd)http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MDwFYmZ0fJw&feature=mfu_in_order&list=UL
Miyabi Oba (3rd)http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CLfSlG1fp4o&feature=mfu_in_order&list=UL
Tomtaki and Oba are sub for JGP this season though they didn't get one. Unfortunately,they didn't broadcast Satoko Miyahara,4th and get only one standing ovation, from novice.