US Nationals - What are your thoughts? | Page 10 | Golden Skate

US Nationals - What are your thoughts?

dancindiva03

Match Penalty
We will have to see if Caroline Zhang skates effortlessly away with the gold as she has done all season.

In my opinion, ravhel flatt is overated.

ITA on both accounts. I think Zhang is going to feel a lot of pressure and we may not see these "perfect" programs from her that she had on the JGP. Also, pressure aside, it is hard to stay in peak form for so many months, she may have made a mistake in preaking too soon and could possibly be all worn out come Nationals. Or she could have the skate of a life, who knows. But I think it will be tougher than she is probably expecting.

Rachel Flatt, she has potential but IMHO she is not the huge threat that people seem to think she is. She needs time.

chuckm

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
I don't think anyone has said Rachael Flatt is a "huge threat". Most think that if she skates well, she has a shot a medal (and that includes 4th place, btw)--but only a shot. Much depends on what the more established skaters are able to put out there. If two or three of Hughes, Czisny, Liang, Taylor and/or Zukowski have great skates, she might have to wait another year to make her mark.

I think dancindiva is way overestimating the pressure on Zhang. The JGPF was a high pressure situation, and she handled it beatifully--her scores were consistent with what she'd done in the preliminary events. When it comes to peaking and staying at a peak, thirteen-year-olds are remarkably resilient. The JGPF was already more than a month ago, and she will have had 7 weeks of rest, recuperation and training to get ready for Nationals. This is her second Nationals, so she won't be in a new situation, unlike Mirai Nagasu. If Caroline's going to tire, it's more likely to be at Junior Worlds, but she will have a month between Nationals and JW, so there is still plenty of time to rest and regroup.

I have a hunch dancindiva is hoping Caroline will falter at Nationals. That's good---the skate gods will take their revenge on those hopes.

Last edited:
Caroline Zhang at her age and in Juniors with huge differences in scores of her competitors is not overrated. Just look at the results! The potential is overwhelming. I'm surprised people don't see that. At this point in time, I doubt she would be able to win over the present top five in Ladies seniors, but what will happen 3 years from now. Barring illness and injuries, she will be in Vancouver as THE spoiler.

Pressure, this forum's buzz word for skaters not liked by the writer, can either be a terror or an asset for any skater. In Caroline's sake, it remains to be seen.

Rachael, another case in point, is not as special as Caroline but at her age and her present talent can, imo, be a definite spoiler at this year's Nats.

Little girls do not have pressure. You have seen that.

Joe

iloveaxel

Match Penalty
I have a hunch dancindiva is hoping Caroline will falter at Nationals. That's good---the skate gods will take their revenge on her hopes.

:chorus: Well, is that a surprise to you based on his posting history? He even threatened to completely stop watching figure skating if Caroline makes to the senior. Poor dancindiva, i'd love to see him pee in the pants when Caroline indeed makes to the senior.

Caroline Zhang at her age and in Juniors with huge differences in scores of her competitors is not overrated. Just look at the results! The potential is overwhelming. I'm surprised people don't see that.
Is it "people" or one poster who seems to have made it her (?) mission to convince the skating world that Caroline is nothing special? Good luck with that one! :laugh:

Last edited:

flying camel

Medalist
Most people have thrown Flatt's name in the mix because it has been reported that she can land the jumps, and skaters like Alissa, BeBe and Taylor proved all season that they just can't do that. We will have to wait and see.

Is it "people" or one poster who seems to have made it her (?) mission to convince the skating world that Caroline is nothing special? Good luck with that one! :laugh:
I use the 'people' in the sense of 1 plus others. How's that for getting out of it?:)

[Aside] Also there is a plural for people(s) which the international organizations use to denote 'mankind'. Preamble to the Universal Declaration of Human Rights begins with 'We the Peoples'.
Joe

dancindiva03

Match Penalty
I think dancindiva is way overestimating the pressure on Zhang. The JGPF was a high pressure situation, and she handled it beatifully--her scores were consistent with what she'd done in the preliminary events. When it comes to peaking and staying at a peak, thirteen-year-olds are remarkably resilient. The JGPF was already more than a month ago, and she will have had 7 weeks of rest, recuperation and training to get ready for Nationals. This is her second Nationals, so she won't be in a new situation, unlike Mirai Nagasu. If Caroline's going to tire, it's more likely to be at Junior Worlds, but she will have a month between Nationals and JW, so there is still plenty of time to rest and regroup.

I have a hunch dancindiva is hoping Caroline will falter at Nationals. That's good---the skate gods will take their revenge on those hopes.

I never said I was hoping she'd falter (though I wouldn't cry if she did). But, she is going to fall sooner or later, and it could be in Spokane. No one is invincible, and that includes Ms. Zhang, and even the best skaters have off days so is it too presumptive to suggest that Caroline might POSSIBLY not skate as cleanly as usual? I'm just not all about making the "Caroline IS DEFINITELY going to win" type of statements.

dancindiva03

Match Penalty
:chorus: Well, is that a surprise to you based on his posting history? He even threatened to completely stop watching figure skating if Caroline makes to the senior. Poor dancindiva, i'd love to see him pee in the pants when Caroline indeed makes to the senior.

Poor iloveaxel how sad you will be when Caroline turns out not to be as perfect and gifted as you think. Are you her mother or something? Or her agent? And here's a little surprise, I'm a SHE, get it right. How many "he's" do you know that would call themself dancindiva?

R.D.

Record Breaker
Looks like Zhang is the new Kwan in terms of getting posters to start flamewars. Luckily it's someone I haven't even seen yet :rofl:

Looks like Zhang is the new Kwan in terms of getting posters to start flamewars. Luckily it's someone I haven't even seen yet :rofl:
I wonder what the skaters themselves think of all that. They must think we're morons, LOL.

Oh, well, you know the old show biz adage -- I don't care what you say about me, just spell my name right. :laugh:

slutskayafan21

Match Penalty
The part of U.S Nationals I am most looking forward to is the Lysacek-Weir battle. I am not a fan of either really, as those familiar with me on this forum could attest to. However it is definitely the most mouth watering matchup of these Nationals with intrigue, suspense, uncertainty, and many variables. What is most interesting it the who has reigned over the other as U.S National Champion for multiple years, is also the one who has had less success at each venue, and been defeated head to head in any events both were in, by his countryman outside of U.S Nationals for almost 2 full seasons now. That makes it that much more intriguing to what will happen. Plus both coming off injuries. While their scores, except relative to each other, really mean next to nothing as it is Nationals, how they perform will be important as well considering how strong Joubert, Oda, and Takahashi all look right now and the fact Lambiel and possably Buttle will come back into form before years end as well.

Brace yourself RD. That thing you call hype will be all over the forum. I predict that Terry Ganon will show Caroline's Junior LP as an opener to the Ladies LP on TV.
You will not like that. and you will become very concerned that Emily is not getting her share of that thing, hype. ;)

Am I correct?:cool:

Joe

iloveaxel

Match Penalty
Brace yourself RD. That thing you call hype will be all over the forum. I predict that Terry Ganon will show Caroline's Junior LP as an opener to the Ladies LP on TV.
You will not like that. and you will become very concerned that Emily is not getting her share of that thing, hype. ;)

Joe

'Red Dog' is an Emily fan?? If they do show it, I will be very very excited!!

SeaniBu

Record Breaker
Country
United-States

Regardless of RDs dispossession to words:laugh: , I have recently seen some still - and can make out her face - pictures of her - via MM - and I will have to say she is going to get hyped for sure. In addition to her fantastic talent she is going to be a very attractive lady. So I see the media using this one for all it's worth. And if things do turn out the way it seems they may, she is going to be a incredible athlete that is incredible to look at, and that seems to be FSing forte. And if she is as nice and cute and all those favorable things that many have said...well she's got a chance at the up for grabs title of Face of US FS if Kimmie (or Taylor F) don't grab it first. IMO:yes:

Last edited:

R.D.

Record Breaker

Joe

I think once ABC showed a young novice (?) during their Exhibition broadcast. So I guess it's not impossible that they would show Caroline but I wouldn't count on it. She'd have to be SENSATIONAL.

As for Emily she's Sarah's sister. I used to think she got much unnecessary hype for that alone (this was pre-2005-2006 season when she was only so-so). I think she's just starting to come out on her own. I think a World medal would do the trick. (I still felt that during the Olympics she was linked to her big sis a lot, especially since she was also there.)

Right now there is a LOT of Caroline fan buzz. She even has her own forum now. And she's popular enough to pit posters against each other! All this even before she's shown on a major telecast. Tells one how much Youtube, FSvids, et al. is going to affect TV viewership in the future.