2023 US Nationals: Women | Thoughts | Golden Skate

2023 US Nationals: Women | Thoughts

gsk8

Record Breaker
Country
United-States

Happy for Levito and hope that the pressure at her young age doesn't get to her. Thrilled for Tennell and Glenn! Great performances!

What are your thoughts on the women's event?

readernick

Medalist
My primary thought is that I actually enjoyed the entire US women's event for the first time in a long time rather than just a few good skates from the top ladies. Somehow, the USA developed a group of varied and interesting skaters over the last few years. The SP was really quite good and the FS while not as well-skated was still very watchable.

Isabeau is an artist, not a technician but how many skaters are truly balanced? She is blessed with nerves of steel. She is all about the details and I love it. If she keeps skating, I will love her even more in a few years.

Bradie has been my favorite US lady for some time and I am so happy she is returning to form just in time! I love her SP. Her FS isn't to my taste but she looks confident and has such a cool, unique style on the ice.

Amber has always been so incredibly talented. I am so happy she is finally coming into her own. I love her powerful skating and her raw emotion on the ice. Also, her reactions in the K&C are adorable. I also always expect the worst. It does make positive news more enjoyable!

Starr has improved a lot this year. I really think her programs suit her and she has such incredible costumes. She is always the best dressed. She also seemed pleased with the overall result. Hopefully, we will continue to see improvement now that her health is better.

Lindsay was clearly not happy with her placement. She did not live up to her potential. However, she really does have everything she needs to be successful. She is adjusting to her growth and, with a few more competitions, I hope she will overcome her competition nerves. I really enjoy her extension, spins, and attention to detail.

Gracie's SP was incredible. She is just such a talented jumper. I am so thrilled she could have a moment like that. I am sad that the FS wasn't as great. Hopefully, she is happy with the way the competition went.

Ava Zeigler's skating reminds me of Amber's and Wakaba Higuchi's. She is all power but also has musicality. She just has to learn to control that power.

Josephine has improved a lot. Lovely jumps. She has rather stiff knees and the next thing I hope she will work on is her flow and SS. However, it was really very good for a 14-year-old.

Clare, Sonja, and Gabriella also have some very nice qualities in their skating. I enjoy Audrey's SP very much.

Basically, a pretty great competition.

Last edited:

Greengemmonster

On the Ice
Suuuuuuper duuuuuuuper thrilled for Bradie!!!!!!! She just keeps on improving after what must be a very traumatic past year! Can't wait to see her at 4CC and Worlds! What a moment it must be for her to have been in limbo for such a long time and now she's going to Worlds!!!

Isabeau is enchanting. I know people keep saying that the jumps will not last etc but if anything these past few years have taught me that it doesn't pay to obsess about the future too much. She should just do what she can to win (legally of course) and take things as they come. Her grit is amazing and I'm half tempted to believe that she will just will herself to land those jumps regardless.

DLong

Rinkside
This was one of my favorite Nationals. I really loved the podium. Isabeau is ethereal. She just floats across the ice. I am a huge fan. There aren't that many women's programs that I can watch again and again. Isabeau is one of the very few that I never get tired of watching her skate. She is such a beautiful skater. I normally dislike vocals as many of them overpower the skater, but Isabeau's music enhances her skating. Her costumes are beautiful and match her programs, and her skating is so lovely. Her ability to focus on her skate, and put her nerves aside is incredible for someone so young. I am so thrilled that she is our new National Champion.🥰
Bradie has been one of my favorites for a very long time. I prayed so much last season that she would be able to skate again. My prayers were answered. 🙂 I loved her new short program, but I dislike her free skate. That annoying shouting in the middle of her program is awful. It is so distracting. However, it is wonderful to see her skating again.
I'm very happy for Amber. She has had a lot of disappointments in the past, but she put two good programs together and now she gets to go to 4CC's and Worlds!! 😁
I'm not really a fan of Starr's. Her skating is just ok, but she always has beautiful costumes, and she did skate a clean short.
I really like Lindsay. I'm hoping she will skate two clean programs soon. I would love to see her on the podium next year. I like her free skate music, and I loved her costume, but she always looks so stressed when she is skating. I do agree with Tara that she just needs to let go a little and enjoy her skating more.
I've been a fan of Gracie's, and I was so happy when she started competing again. However, it isn't working for her. If she looked like she enjoyed skating then I would say keep skating as long as you want, but she doesn't look that happy when she is competing. I hope that when she does decide to move on she will coach as I think she would be an excellent coach.

Skater Boy

Record Breaker
This was one of my favorite Nationals. I really loved the podium. Isabeau is ethereal. She just floats across the ice. I am a huge fan. There aren't that many women's programs that I can watch again and again. Isabeau is one of the very few that I never get tired of watching her skate. She is such a beautiful skater. I normally dislike vocals as many of them overpower the skater, but Isabeau's music enhances her skating. Her costumes are beautiful and match her programs, and her skating is so lovely. Her ability to focus on her skate, and put her nerves aside is incredible for someone so young. I am so thrilled that she is our new National Champion.🥰
Bradie has been one of my favorites for a very long time. I prayed so much last season that she would be able to skate again. My prayers were answered. 🙂 I loved her new short program, but I dislike her free skate. That annoying shouting in the middle of her program is awful. It is so distracting. However, it is wonderful to see her skating again.
I'm very happy for Amber. She has had a lot of disappointments in the past, but she put two good programs together and now she gets to go to 4CC's and Worlds!! 😁
I'm not really a fan of Starr's. Her skating is just ok, but she always has beautiful costumes, and she did skate a clean short.
I really like Lindsay. I'm hoping she will skate two clean programs soon. I would love to see her on the podium next year. I like her free skate music, and I loved her costume, but she always looks so stressed when she is skating. I do agree with Tara that she just needs to let go a little and enjoy her skating more.
I've been a fan of Gracie's, and I was so happy when she started competing again. However, it isn't working for her. If she looked like she enjoyed skating then I would say keep skating as long as you want, but she doesn't look that happy when she is competing. I hope that when she does decide to move on she will coach as I think she would be an excellent coach.
Watching the ladies was decent. Sure we don't have the level of skating with Lipinski, Bobek, Hughes, Cohen and Kwan. Isabeau's jumps are a bit scarey I know there is a general dislike with Russian skating by many but her take off or the prep to j ump is a bit scarey and worse than the Eteri girls. Happy for Amber and Bradie looks so sharp; she has really come back with a vengeance. I feel I might be beaten but I feel almost sorry for Gracie. I know you can't tell but she doesn't seem to get joy from skating any more. I feel more sorry for her than anything about her skating. Starr you go girl. With her heart recovering I hope we see what she really can do fully healed. Lindsey, Audrey I still believe.

chuckm

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
I recall the first time I saw Isabeau skate as an intermediate. I was astounded that a skater so young performed with such musicality and joy. It's been no surprise to me that she has achieved so much at a young age.

I am beyond ecstatic that Bradie is back! Like Isabeau, Bradie is a great performer, and the two of them have the best iron nerves in the business.

ucrgirl

On the Ice
Amber's programs were the best she's ever had. I loved her strong skating.

Bradie looked stronger than I thought possible but I'm not sure all of those jumps were around.

skylark

Gazing at a Glorious Great Lakes sunset
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
You've said so beautifully exactly what I think and how I feel, that all I have to say is "Ditto!" :love2: (Not just the bolded parts.)

moonvine

All Hail Queen Gracie
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
I don’t know what you are watching. She was glowing when she skated the SP. She was frustrated with the LP because she is injured and her hip is not letting her do what she can do. She didn’t even look that unhappy in the K&C. Gracie has a Road to Gold camp where she goes all over the country doing seminars as well as a few that she coaches at Iceworks.
Her Road 2 Gold comes through here at least yearly. Also goes to Kansas City.

Last edited:

noskates

Record Breaker
The thing that's so sad about Gracie is she CAN do the jumps. In practice and in warm-ups she's landing everything. She gets into her program and starts popping jumps. I'm not a particular fan of Starr's either but she has definitely shown improvement every year. Little story from practice...Starr took a really hard fall and slammed into the boards. It looked like she had the wind knocked out of her because she didn't move for quite a while. The only person who paid any attention was Bradie who skated over to her to see if she was okay. I thought that was a class move. Isabeau's takeoffs seem awkward or gangly but I think that's just a matter of maturing. I think we're going to see her around for a long time..,...that is unless she has a major growth spurt like Mirai and Alyssa did.

mrrice

Record Breaker
Isabeau: She was a true delight and lived up to all the "Hype" that was surrounding her.

Bradie, Not the strongest LP but, that SP was absolutely amazing. I hope she can bring that same energy to Worlds.

Amber, Easily the best moment for me was Amber's reaction to her LP Score. After all she's been through, I'm as happy as if she won the event.

moonvine

All Hail Queen Gracie
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
The thing that's so sad about Gracie is she CAN do the jumps. In practice and in warm-ups she's landing everything. She gets into her program and starts popping jumps. I'm not a particular fan of Starr's either but she has definitely shown improvement every year. Little story from practice...Starr took a really hard fall and slammed into the boards. It looked like she had the wind knocked out of her because she didn't move for quite a while. The only person who paid any attention was Bradie who skated over to her to see if she was okay. I thought that was a class move. Isabeau's takeoffs seem awkward or gangly but I think that's just a matter of maturing. I think we're going to see her around for a long time..,...that is unless she has a major growth spurt like Mirai and Alyssa did.
Gracie is injured. She skated this program better in August. I hope it is not career ending.

Skater Boy

Record Breaker
What injury does Gracie have? When did it happen? I am a bit tired of waiting and waiting for Gracie to rebound. But like a lot of us we just keep hoping and draming.

moonvine

All Hail Queen Gracie
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
What injury does Gracie have? When did it happen? I am a bit tired of waiting and waiting for Gracie to rebound. But like a lot of us we just keep hoping and draming.
It is a hip injury. It happened some time between Philly and Skate America, and after Champs Camp since Champs Camp was where she skated well enough to earn the SA spot. TSL reported it as well as someone from her rink. Person at her rink says it is “not minor.” I don’t know what to tell you. If it bothers you so quit waiting. I don’t just love her because of her skating. Her skating is entirely secondary.

noskates

Record Breaker
I think a lot of us have invested emotionally in Gracie and we ARE waiting for her to put it all together again. Like I said - she lands everything in practice! She has the ability but can't seem to translate it to a competitive program. You don't just stop watching somebody you care about! I think she's made great strides but there is still something holding her back. You can tell from the ovations she gets that she is much-loved and many are hoping ......

moonvine

All Hail Queen Gracie
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
I think a lot of us have invested emotionally in Gracie and we ARE waiting for her to put it all together again. Like I said - she lands everything in practice! She has the ability but can't seem to translate it to a competitive program. You don't just stop watching somebody you care about! I think she's made great strides but there is still something holding her back. You can tell from the ovations she gets that she is much-loved and many are hoping ......
I really hope she is able to rehab her hip and come back. In the meantime every time I have seen her skate it has been my honor. By the way by placing 8th at this Nationals she’s getting envelope funding, which is so exciting to me. Yay, Gracie!!

MiraiFan

Final Flight
I really enjoyed the competition overall. Great to see Bradie back and the results were fair. I think Lindsey is going to train hard and come back with a vengeance next year. Starr is overmarked to me, especially since she remains Lutz-less... but lovely skating overall. Well done Amber--her jump height is amazing. None of the full rotation loops into chucked triples we are seeing elsewhere...