1 – Leah Neset and Artem Markelov
2 – Helena Carhart and Volodymyr Horovyi

PAIRS
Isabelle Martins and Ryan Bedard
Anastasiia Smirnova and Danil Siianytsia
Alternates
1 – Catherine Rivers and Timothy Chapman*
2 – Cate Fleming and Chase Finster
* Pending achieving minimum technical score.

Last edited:

mrrice

Record Breaker
From USFS - Alysa Liu, Karen Chen, and Mariah Bell

Alternates
(thanks @gsk8)
1st - Lindsay Thorngren
2nd - Amber Glenn
3rd - Gabriella Izzo
I must say I'm surprised to see Amber as the second alternate. If she's still positive, they can't even send her to 4CC, can they?

R.D.

Record Breaker
No surprise re: the actual team.

But as I expected, the alternate picks are interesting. Glenn must have also petitioned if she was chosen to be a stand-in. Thorngren being first alternate seems reasonable, I think, although one could make the case for Glenn to be alternate #1 given previous international experience. The 3rd is a toss-up; wonder if it would have been Gold had she done better in the FS

In any case, they should probably consider sending the alternates to Olys as well in case one of the main members has to pull out, especially with the way things are going. Additionally, the 3 team members should be training in their own bubbles from here on out into it's time to go.

amc987

On the Ice
I get why they sent Mariah, Karen, and Alysa to the Olympics. I agree with the decision. But I don't understand the selection criteria. Jackie Wong, whose analysis I usually like and appreciate, made a big deal about Alysa being in a higher tier than Mariah and Karen based on international scores. From what I can tell, the only thing that puts Alysa in a higher tier than the others is her win at Lombardia (219.24 points). The USFS seems to think that her score there suggests that she has the potential to place top 3 in Beijing.

The USFS appears laughably wrong. Realistically, there isn't a single US woman who has the potential to place top 3 in Beijing. Any of the women who competed at US Nationals this week would struggle to place in the top 10 at the Olympics. And comparing scores from an event like Lombardia to the scores from 2021 Worlds, without further context, seems reductive, ill-advised, and unfair. Even casual fans know that scores vary a lot from competition to competition, depending on the panel. Scores at Senior B events are often inflated. And in this case, there's no way Alysa would have gotten close to 219 if she'd skated those Lombardia programs at Worlds.

Relatedly, it seems unfair to give Alysa credit in the Olympic selection process for an anomalously high score, over someone like Karen, who actually competed at 2021 Worlds and placed 4th, and over someone like Mariah, whose highest score (210.35 at 2021 Rostelecom) is higher than every score Alysa has received, except for the Lombardia score. I'm glad that all 3 made the team, and that the criteria didn't result in Alysa getting an Olympic berth at Karen or Mariah's expense. But the USFS should re-think this criteria in the future.

Selection Criteria

Selection Criteria Applied

Last edited:

mrrice

Record Breaker
I agree, why Starr Andrews? She has not progressed at all over the last 4 years. Why not Kate Wang? Or Hanna Harrell. They both were solidly above her. Selection makes no sense.
I agree with this 100%. Along with Isabeau, Kate is the future of the US Women and the sooner she gets the big events the better. Starr hasn't delivered in a while and though I love her, it's time to think about the future. Starr has had several opportunities and I wish she had done better at Nationals but, I wouldn't send her ahead of Kate.

Last edited:

Jeanie19

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
I agree with this 100%. Along with Isabeau, Kate is the future of the US Women and the sooner she gets the big events the better. Starr hasn't delivered in a while and though I love her, it's time to think about the future. Starr has had several opportunities and I wish she had done better at Nationals but, I wouldn't send ahead of Kate.
Why didn't Kate get any alternates? Does she not have TES minimums? Please send her to Bavarian Open.

mrrice

Record Breaker
Why didn't Kate get any alternates? Does she not have TES minimums? Please send her to Bavarian Open.
This is a good question. She's skated so well but, all her international scores are from the Junior Circuit and those don't count for senior Minimums do they?

Jeanie19

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
This is a good question. She's skated so well but, all her international scores are from the Junior Circuit and those don't count for senior Minimums do they?
I don't think they do. But she could get them at Bavarian Open.

mayiko

Spectator
I get why they sent Mariah, Karen, and Alysa to the Olympics. I agree with the decision. But I don't understand the selection criteria. Jackie Wong, whose analysis I usually like and appreciate, made a big deal about Alysa being in a higher tier than Mariah and Karen based on international scores. From what I can tell, the only thing that puts Alysa in a higher tier than the others is her win at Lombardia (219.24 points). The USFS seems to think that her score there suggests that she has the potential to place top 3 in Beijing.

The USFS appears laughably wrong. Realistically, there isn't a single US woman who has the potential to place top 3 in Beijing. Any of the women who competed at US Nationals this week would struggle to place in the top 10 at the Olympics. And comparing scores from an event like Lombardia to the scores from 2021 Worlds, without further context, seems reductive, ill-advised, and unfair. Even casual fans know that scores vary a lot from competition to competition, depending on the panel. Scores at Senior B events are often inflated. And in this case, there's no way Alysa would have gotten close to 219 if she'd skated those Lombardia programs at Worlds.

Relatedly, it seems unfair to give Alysa credit in the Olympic selection process for an anomalously high score, over someone like Karen, who actually competed at 2021 Worlds and placed 4th, and over someone like Mariah, whose highest score (210.35 at 2021 Rostelecom) is higher than every score Alysa has received, except for the Lombardia score. I'm glad that all 3 made the team, and that the criteria didn't result in Alysa getting an Olympic berth at Karen or Mariah's expense. But the USFS should re-think this criteria in the future.

Selection Criteria

Selection Criteria Applied
But Alysa didn't qualify for Worlds last year because she was too young and all her junior events were cancelled. She also scored over 200 in every event she entered during this season.

Amei

Record Breaker

Junior scores don't count towards senior minimums, that is why Lindsay went to a senior challenger event, so she could get her senior minimums

mrrice

Record Breaker
Do you think Kate will go to the Bavarian Open? I haven't seen the lineup but, if she could earn her Minimums there, it would certainly be great. Even if she doesn't get to go to 4CC

amc987

On the Ice
But Alysa didn't qualify for Worlds last year because she was too young and all her junior events were cancelled. She also scored over 200 in every event she entered during this season.

Not saying Alysa shouldn't get any credit for her results. I'm saying that Alysa shouldn't be in a higher tier than Mariah and Karen based on one Lombardia score. And the fact that she is shows that the selection criteria are flawed, even though those flaws didn't result in the wrong athletes being selected for Beijing.

mayiko

Spectator
Not saying Alysa shouldn't get any credit for her results. I'm saying that Alysa shouldn't be in a higher tier than Mariah and Karen based on one Lombardia score. And the fact that she is shows that the selection criteria are flawed, even though those flaws didn't result in the wrong athletes being selected for Beijing.
Any selection criteria is going to be flawed.

Edit to say it really worked out well or the selection committee that Alysa was in group 2 so nobody would question why she was pick.

Last edited: