USFS Announces Worlds team | Golden Skate

USFS Announces Worlds team

gsk8

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
LAS VEGAS (January 17, 2021) - U.S. Figure Skating has announced its men’s, pairs and ice dance selections for the ISU World Figure Skating Championships 2021. The teams were selected following the championship men’s competition at the 2021 Toyota U.S. Figure Skating Championships in Las Vegas.

The World Championships are set for March 22-28, 2021, in Stockholm.

Selections are listed in alphabetical order (except for alternates):

Men
Jason Brown
Nathan Chen
Vincent Zhou

Alternate 1 – Tomoki Hiwatashi
Alternate 2 –Maxim Naumov*
Alternate 3 – Camden Pulkinen

Pairs
Jessica Calalang/Brian Johnson
Alexa Knierim/Brandon Frazier*

Alternate 1 – Ashley Cain-Gribble/Timothy LeDuc
Alternate 2 – Audrey Lu/Misha Mitrofanov
Alternate 3 – Emily Chan/Spencer Howe*

Ice Dance
Madison Chock/Evan Bates
Kaitlin Hawayek/Jean-Luc Baker
Madison Hubbell/Zachary Donohue

Alternate 1 – Christina Carreira/Anthony Ponomarenko
Alternate 2 – Caroline Green/Michael Parsons
Alternate 3 – Molly Cesanek/ Yehor Yehorov*

Ladies
Karen Chen
Bradie Tennell

Alternate 1 – Amber Glenn
Alternate 2 – Mariah Bell
Alternate 3 – Audrey Shin*

*pending ISU decision on minimum score

TontoK

Hot Tonto
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Is Paniot not released by Ukraine?

I can't think of any other reason he'd not be listed as an alternate.

karne

in Emergency Backup Mode
Record Breaker
Country
Australia
Is Paniot not released by Ukraine?

I can't think of any other reason he'd not be listed as an alternate.
No, he competed at 2018 NHK for Ukraine so he will not be released until nearly the end of this year, because Ukraine has a 3 year policy for Olympians.

kolyadafan2002

Fan of Kolyada
Final Flight
No, he competed at 2018 NHK for Ukraine so he will not be released until nearly the end of this year, because Ukraine has a 3 year policy for Olympians.
Thats really unusual. Usually its 1years for most federations. Why isn't Yaro competing for Ukraine though - he could go to the 2022 olympics for Ukraine...

lariko

Medalist
Country
Canada
LAS VEGAS (January 17, 2021) - U.S. Figure Skating has announced its men’s, pairs and ice dance selections for the ISU World Figure Skating Championships 2021. The teams were selected following the championship men’s competition at the 2021 Toyota U.S. Figure Skating Championships in Las Vegas.

The World Championships are set for March 22-28, 2021, in Stockholm.

Selections are listed in alphabetical order (except for alternates):

Men
Jason Brown
Nathan Chen
Vincent Zhou

Alternate 1 – Tomoki Hiwatashi
Alternate 2 –Maxim Naumov*
Alternate 3 – Camden Pulkinen

Pairs
Jessica Calalang/Brian Johnson
Alexa Knierim/Brandon Frazier*

Alternate 1 – Ashley Cain-Gribble/Timothy LeDuc
Alternate 2 – Audrey Lu/Misha Mitrofanov
Alternate 3 – Emily Chan/Spencer Howe*

Ice Dance
Madison Chock/Evan Bates
Kaitlin Hawayek/Jean-Luc Baker
Madison Hubbell/Zachary Donohue

Alternate 1 – Christina Carreira/Anthony Ponomarenko
Alternate 2 – Caroline Green/Michael Parsons
Alternate 3 – Molly Cesanek/ Yehor Yehorov*

Ladies
Karen Chen
Bradie Tennell

Alternate 1 – Amber Glenn
Alternate 2 – Mariah Bell
Alternate 3 – Audrey Shin*

*pending ISU decision on minimum score
I saw that Zhou might also have troubles with qualifying score due to him almost not competing last year internationally. I hope this is not true because this is such a crazy year... and, yes, I know other people managed to compete and stuff but, but, but....

Seven Sisters

Medalist
I saw that Zhou might also have troubles with qualifying score due to him almost not competing last year internationally. I hope this is not true because this is such a crazy year... and, yes, I know other people managed to compete and stuff but, but, but....
That seems strange. Is he not the reigning Worlds bronze medalist?

Olympic

On the Ice
I think due to COVID, so many comps were cancelled that the ISU will change or relax the rules re minimums. I'm not worried for Vincent.

I don't have any issues with the teams as selected. In fact, this is one of the most clear-cut and easiest selections in a long time. But, I wish there was a Russian-style test skate in February before Worlds among Amber, Karen and Mariah. There are unanswered questions that need more clarity. Does Amber have mojo? Is Karen somewhat consistent? Was Nationals a bad competition for Mariah or is it a pattern?

I haven't heard any complaining about C/J over CG/L, which is good

lariko

Medalist
Country
Canada
That seems strange. Is he not the reigning Worlds bronze medalist?
Here is Jackie’s twit. I can’t remember where Zhou competed after Japan Open, but somehow it didn’t give him intl minimum on his free skate.

And yes, he is acting bronze medalist, but because he came back for Nationals and was going to WC2020, he basically sacrificed a year of skating for his college at an unfortunate moment

edit: apparently, his qualifier was US Classic, and he had a below min technical Free there.

Last edited:

Penny

On the Ice
I think due to COVID, so many comps were cancelled that the ISU will change or relax the rules re minimums. I'm not worried for Vincent.

I don't have any issues with the teams as selected. In fact, this is one of the most clear-cut and easiest selections in a long time. But, I wish there was a Russian-style test skate in February before Worlds among Amber, Karen and Mariah. There are unanswered questions that need more clarity. Does Amber have mojo? Is Karen somewhat consistent? Was Nationals a bad competition for Mariah or is it a pattern?

I haven't heard any complaining about C/J over CG/L, which is good
If Amber were a 16-year-old phenom, I think she would be going to worlds. (I love Chen, but she consistently under-rotates.) So hard work and learning the triple-axel are not enough? Yes, Amber might collapse at Worlds, as she so often has in the past, but she does have the 3T, and a perfect performance with the 3T might put her in the top 5 or 6. A perfect Bradie can't compete with Russians/Japanese. I am so sad for Amber.

Olympic

On the Ice
It's almost inconceivable that the ISU would not recognize the scores from Skate America, since it was an ISU event. And technically, with Messing competing (and medaling) there, it was an international event, and not a domestic one.
It's getting strange. Would Zhou have qualified with his LP score at SA? NO ISU events this year were truly international or 'normal'. I have a feeling that the ISU will grant waivers or whatever to allow for competitors.

lariko

Medalist
Country
Canada
It's almost inconceivable that the ISU would not recognize the scores from Skate America, since it was an ISU event. And technically, with Messing competing (and medaling) there, it was an international event, and not a domestic one.
I would think so too... but, aww, Zhou had bad timing.

Olympic

On the Ice
If Amber were a 16-year-old phenom, I think she would be going to worlds. (I love Chen, but she consistently under-rotates.) So hard work and learning the triple-axel are not enough? Yes, Amber might collapse at Worlds, as she so often has in the past, but she does have the 3T, and a perfect performance with the 3T might put her in the top 5 or 6. A perfect Bradie can't compete with Russians/Japanese. I am so sad for Amber.
Bradie v. Russian ladies. Probably not unless someone like Trusova is sent and bombs due to overachieving on quads. It depends on who is sent. The only JPN lady that would probably beat Bradie hands down is Rika. I think Bradie in her current form could take Kaori, Wakaba, and Satoko. Young You hasn't been in the same form as last year either

YuBluByMe

May Rika spin her hair into GOLD….in 2026.
Final Flight
I'm just going to go ahead and assume you mean 3A because a solo 3T ain't gonna do diddly.

Roo87

Medalist
It has to do with the judging panel being all American, and I'm sure we can agree that there was some tom fullery in the judging at both Skate America and US Nationals.

TontoK

Hot Tonto
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
It has to do with the judging panel being all American, and I'm sure we can agree that there was some tom fullery in the judging at both Skate America and US Nationals.
For the sake of advancing the discussion, and not because I necessarily agree, I'll concede the point.

But, I don't think there is any solid argument to be made that Vincent would not have met the minimum World standard at Skate America with ANY panel, all American or not. I still believe the argument is moot. The ISU is not going to disqualify scores from their own GP events.

NAOTMAA

Medalist
Is the depth of teams in ice dancing really that low that they had to resort to picking a team that didn’t compete at all to be their first alternate? It’s not like C/P were former medalists or that great internationally

Yossalu

On the Ice
Is the depth of teams in ice dancing really that low that they had to resort to picking a team that didn’t compete at all to be their first alternate? It’s not like C/P were former medalists or that great internationally
They petitioned for World team consideration and they have a far more compelling case for this first alternate slot than Green & Parsons, who have consistently scored well below them domestically and internationally. US Figure Skating's responsibility is putting out the teams that have the best chance of placing highest and they are the ones with greater potential both this season and perhaps in the future. C/P are not injured and as far as I know never even tested positive. They should not be punished for doing the right thing and making sure that they kept everyone safe by staying home.