USFSA and the NJS | Golden Skate

USFSA and the NJS

sk8tngcanuck

On the Ice
Just curious.....

I noticed from watching Ice Diaries that the US did not use the new judging system at the Regional qualifying competitions.

Does anyone know if they used the NJS at Sectionals, or if the skater's first exposure was at Nationals?

In Canada, the NJS was used right from Sub Sectionals (equivalent of Regionals). Additionally, any of the competitive events that were run through the summer and early fall also adopted the NJS. I have looked through results from these early season competitions, and you can see the huge increase in scores from one competition to the next. Granted, skaters improve on their abilities, and yes they skate better on some days than others, but the progression in their scores shows me that they embraced the system and made it work for them.

Here is an example of just 2 skaters, but it was the same with all of the skaters.

Susie :
Comp. 1 (mid August) 17.41
Comp. 2 (mid September) 18.92
Comp. 3 (early October) 25.77
Sectionals (early Nov.) 30.63

Joan:
Comp. 1 (mid Aug.) 19.54
Comp. 2 (mid Sept.) 22.14
Comp. 3 (early Oct.)26.13
Setionals (early Nov.) 27.76

Now in Susie's case, she is a brilliant skater. I have watched her for a few years now, and she placed 2nd last year at Sectionals. What these scores said to me about her was that they really had no clue about the NJS and how to make it work. She has always been talented, and the only difference from last year's sectionals to this years in terms of new elements was a double lutz this year. Of course other things like speed, flow etc. improve over the course of the year, but this one to me stands out so glaringly. because of the vast improvement of scores over 3 months.

I believe that it should be used right from grassroots up, and was very surprised to see the US using the 6.0 at regionals. It makes more sense to me to use the globally accepted system from the base up, rather than using an obsolete system, yet still expecting athletes to excel under a system they have had no experience with.

Sylvia

Record Breaker
sk8tngcanuck said:
Just curious.....

I noticed from watching Ice Diaries that the US did not use the new judging system at the Regional qualifying competitions.

Does anyone know if they used the NJS at Sectionals, or if the skater's first exposure was at Nationals?
Yes, the 3 Sectionals was the first time NJS was used in qualifying competitions. There reportedly weren't enough judges, etc., trained in order to be in place at the 9 Regionals.